HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

You're Pens GM Ray Shero in the Offseason...

Old
03-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
I don't disagree with any of that. Eaton is the better hockey player when fit. I just think we can get Scuderi signed for less; he is much more physically durable, has been getting better with every season, and will be essential on the PK even more so when Gill is no longer there. I also think Scuderi's positional solidity will go pretty well with Gogo on the third pairing.
Another issue is that Eaton, while IMO matching pretty well with Letang, is not physical or big enough for that second pairing to be ideal. So, ultimately, if the opportunity comes along to sign someone who can do what Eaton does, with some size and a little nastiness on the side, then I'd want that. Of course, should Scuderi want to make Eaton money or more, which cannot be ruled out, then we likely stay with Eaton, but I'd still really like an on a real nr. 3-4 defenseman no matter if its Eaton or Scuds ending up on the 3rd pairing.
Sounds good to me.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 05:38 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

would you consider trading Staal for a winger?

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
would you consider trading Staal for a winger?
What winger? That's the key.

Staal plays a ton of minutes on our team between his roles as a top pk'er and playing defense against top lines etc. He's a lot more valuable to the Pens than most outsiders think.

Staal will be making 4 million a year starting next season and even if he reaches his offensive potential too, he still will not be able to leap over Crosby and Malkin on the depth chart at center and therefor I'd say he'll get moved for a winger at some point or an outside chance he gets moved for a young physical D-Man.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 10:48 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
the reason pittsburgh has to be careful IMO, is that by trading staal, you are addressing a need (solid winger) yet opening another one (solid two way third line center)

so really, do you keep it at one need and wait to see your options in the summer, or address a need while opening up another...

i'd rather the patient approach, see how kennedy keeps developing, see who's availabe in the free agent market, see who's available for trade, and see how your cheap kids do when given the opportunity (whether late this year, or in training camp next year)

no need for a panic button yet... panic or forced moves are dangerous to flirt with

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Ace88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
Jagr wants to play for league minumum so pencil him in on the first line, then I hear that Lemieux is in the best shape of his life and he owns the team so he can play for league minimum as well so....
Lemieux/Crosby/Jagr
Kunitz/Malkin/Sykora

i would **** my farking pants if this ever happened. Can you imagine a line of Crosby, Lemieux, and Jagr? They would destroy worlds and control the universe.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:00 AM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod1986 View Post
Your Committed Salaries Amount To 46.385 mill (nhlnumbers.com)....

Key Players You Must Consider Resigning Including Estimated Value-

Peter Sykora (2.75-3.5 mill)

Rob Scuderi (1.25-1.75 mill)

Ruslan Fedotenko (3.0-3.25 mill)

Hal Gill (3.0-3.75 mill)

Mike Zigomanis (1.0-1.5 mill)

Bill Guerin (3.75-4.5 mill)

PROJECTED LINEUP (EXCLUDING UFA'S)-

KUNITZ-CROSBY-UNFILLED

UNFILLED-MALKIN-UNFILLED

COOKE-STAAL-KENNEDY

GODARD-TALBOT-DUPUIS

GONCHAR-ORPIK

LETANG-EATON

GOLIGOSKI-UNFILLED

FLEURY

UNFILLED

Also give or take 3-4 or so roster spots to fill with Forwards/Defenseman...

Taking Into Consideration Your Current Cap Hit, fill out the rest of the team by signing any of the UFA's listed above from the Penguins, or choose any of the upcoming FA's but list the price per year you'd be signing them at and the length of the contract. You Can Also make REASONABLE trade offers using the players you already have under contract for the 2009-10 season.

Lets assume the cap will be around 56-58 million next season.

The Following Link provides a list of all upcoming UFA's.....

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php

Once Finished, List Your Opening Day Roster for the 2009-10 Season, While Keeping Your Salary Total Within Cap Restrictions.

After that we can all compare and comment, and this should make for an interesting thread....

Oh and LETS GO PENS!
Dupuis traded for picks -1.4 mil
Ziggy re-signed for .7
Sykora 3yrs for 9 mil
one of Jeffery Caputi or Tangradi makes the team @ ~.8 one of these guys has to be ready
~1 mil for a BU goalie

Kunitz/Crosby/?
DJ,LC,ET/Malkin/Sykora
Cooke/Staal/Kennedy
Talbot/Ziggy/Goddard
??

Gonch/Orpik
Letang??
Eaton/Goli
??
Fleury
BU
~$50 mil

Eaton is decent but I'd like a more physical upgrade to Eaton at the D position; 3-4 mil for a top 4 d-man.
Scuderi IMO is going too be to costly for a 5-6 guy, if we can't upgrade from Eaton I'd be fine with Gill in the #6 slot for similar to what he makes now we just have to remember that Gill can be frustrating in the regular season but steps it up in the playoffs when games get more physical tighter checking. I'd like to take a look at O-K T for the #7 spot if the jackets aren't going to keep him.

Either way there's 3-4 mil for Crosby's RW. We see what kind of guy he works well with, we don't need and long term can't afford Gaborik/Kovalchuk. I'd stay away from Kovalev too he doesn't play a rugged Crosby game, tends to disappear, and I just doubt his desire anymore. I doubt Tuomo Ruutu is available.
But with the acquisitions he has made in Kunitz and Guerin, I think that RS is getting a better feel for what Crosby needs, so unless he brings Colby back I think he will fill that spot with someone most of us are unfamiliar with.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:39 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
What winger? That's the key.

Staal plays a ton of minutes on our team between his roles as a top pk'er and playing defense against top lines etc. He's a lot more valuable to the Pens than most outsiders think.

Staal will be making 4 million a year starting next season and even if he reaches his offensive potential too, he still will not be able to leap over Crosby and Malkin on the depth chart at center and therefor I'd say he'll get moved for a winger at some point or an outside chance he gets moved for a young physical D-Man.
His value to the Pens is clear to me, but he would also be valuable to other teams, as well. If you think about it, he will be a third line center as long as he's in Pittsburgh. He could easily crack the top-6 of a number of other teams. The way I see it, you're trading your third line center for a top-6 winger.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 03:46 PM
kmillzy5

anyone feelin' Ales Kotalik? hes a UFA thats gonna ask for some pesos. . but he'd be sick with Crosby and Kunitz. . . He gets 2.5 million right now, and will probably want at least 3.5M. i imagine. . I don't know, what do you people think?

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 03:50 PM
SkullSplitter

Backup goalie next year will be Curry.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 04:01 PM
AlMo

Quote:

Hal Gill (3.0-3.75 mill)

KUNITZ-CROSBY-UNFILLED

UNFILLED-MALKIN-UNFILLED

COOKE-STAAL-KENNEDY

GODARD-TALBOT-DUPUIS

GONCHAR-ORPIK

LETANG-EATON

GOLIGOSKI-UNFILLED

FLEURY

UNFILLED

Taking Into Consideration Your Current Cap Hit, fill out the rest of the team by signing any of the UFA's listed above from the Penguins, or choose any of the upcoming FA's but list the price per year you'd be signing them at and the length of the contract. You Can Also make REASONABLE trade offers using the players you already have under contract for the 2009-10 season.

Once Finished, List Your Opening Day Roster for the 2009-10 Season, While Keeping Your Salary Total Within Cap Restrictions.

After that we can all compare and comment, and this should make for an interesting thread....

Oh and LETS GO PENS!
The only two players I re-sign are Scuderi and Sykora and depending on the price I consider bringing back Garon as the backup. If he is priced too high than I look elsewhere. In this case, I will assume Garon comes back for cheap

I also think Kovalev might be a decent fit in Pittsburgh. He is coming off a terrible year and he is definantly in the last couple of years in his career. He has a history with Pittsburgh. How's his relationship with Mario? If he has a good one that even better as Mario can convince him to come back. I don't think he will command the same amout of dough he is making now so maybe in around 3-3-3.5 million should be enough.

I also expect Tangradi and Caputi to have opportunity to make this club and I think at least one (if not both) will make it.

So to the lineup

Kunitz-Crosby-Kovalev
Caputi-Malkin-Sykora
Kennedy-Staal-Tangradi
Dupuis-Talbot-Cooke

Ex: Bill Thomas, Tim Wallace

Gonchar-Orpik
Letang-Scuderi
Eaton-Goligoski

Ex: Ben Lovejoy

Fleury
Garon

Not the strongest lineup but if Kovalev can produce with Sid and the rookie have decent years the Pens could be a lot better next season.

I think another option of the Pens is to explore dealing Staal for a winger but I won't make up a proposal as I have never liked doing so. The option does sit there and more likely than not, Shero might have to pull the trigger at some point.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Alex28*

Why does everyone want to stick Russian wingers with Sid when it's obvious as day that Malkin would center them on the top line?

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Why does everyone want to stick Russian wingers with Sid when it's obvious as day that Malkin would center them on the top line?
Flip them if you want. Either way the new winger gets a heck of a center.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 05:37 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:

Hal Gill (3.0-3.75 mill)

KUNITZ-CROSBY-UNFILLED

UNFILLED-MALKIN-UNFILLED

COOKE-STAAL-KENNEDY

GODARD-TALBOT-DUPUIS

GONCHAR-ORPIK

LETANG-EATON

GOLIGOSKI-UNFILLED

FLEURY

UNFILLED

Oh and LETS GO PENS!
It is kind of hard to do this now because I need to see what happens the rest of the way and in the playoffs. For example if this team keeps playing like they have been since the coaching change and the new additions then I would try and keep the team intact the best I could. If we flop and don't make the playoffs then I would have a whole different approach. I think we will do well so let me give it a shot.

If the Pens play well and go to the Cup again then I would keep what I can. If the Crosby line is doing well I would sign Guerin if he wants to stay for a bargain price like $3 million. Sykora is also a guy I would keep for a 2 year contract at his same cap hit. Even Fedotenko I would keep if he played well and was willing to sign for another one year deal if he played well. Those signing would keep the whole top 12 forwards intact and would give us a real shot to keep at the top.

On D I would bring up Goligoski to add to the other 4 dmen we have for next season in Gonchar, Letang, Orpik, and Eaton. I would look for one UFA dman to add and that guy could be keeping Scuderi if the price fit. I would let Eaton and Lovejoy fight for the 6th D spot and the other could be the 7th dman.

In Goal I would just bring up Curry and bring in a vet for the AHL like we did Conklin a few years ago.

So my signings would be Guerin $3 million 1 year, Sykora $2.6 million 2 years, Scuderi or other defensive dman for $2 million cap hit for 2 years, and maybe Fedotenko for $2 million but I might just let guys like Caputi, CPZ, and Tangradi fight for that 2nd line LW spot and let the best man win of the 3.

That was all if the team kicked butt the rest of the season and in the playoffs. One more thing I would do no matter what and that is sign Gonchar to an extension this offseason for another two years on his contract for his same salary $5 million cap hit. We have him for one more year at that price and he is too valuable to let go after next season. The nice thing is he wants to stay and I bet will give a discount like all our other stars did.

Of course if the team flops I would use those open spots to bring in different players. Of course if I could bring in a young forward to replace a Guerin or Sykora I would do it as long as the price was right and they could produce the same. So instead of a 1 year contract to Guerin at $3-3.5 million then maybe a $3-3.5 million cap hit 4 year contract to a guy in his mid 20's that can produce. I think we only need to have stop gaps at those open spots until our prospects are ready to take spots which guys like Goligoski and Lovejoy and maybe one of those LW guys might be next season.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

1 - Trade Dupuis+ for Cheechoo

2 - Sign Sykora, Goligoski, ans Scuderi

3 - One of Caputi/CPZ/Tanger make the team

Cheechoo (3) - Crosby (8.7) - Kunitz (3.725) = 15.425M
Caputi/CPZ/Tanger (.85) - Malkin (8.7) - Sykora (3) = 12.55M
Cooke (1.2) - Staal (4) - Kennedy (.725) = 5.925M
Godard (.75) - Talbot (1.05) - Jeffery (.509) = 2.309M
Forward Total = 36.209M

Gonchar (5) - Orpik (3.75) = 8.75M
Letang (.835) - Eaton (2) = 2.835
Goligoski (1.5) - Scuderi (1.5) = 3M
Defense Total = 14.585M

Fleury (5)
Curry (.6)
Goalie Total = 5.6M

Team Total = 56.394M

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Crosberry87

With the BIG unknown of what the cap will do in the next few years, I dont know if the Pens will want to sign anyone long term at this point. I think bringing someone in like Franzen, Hossa (puke), Havlat is goign to be too hard and expensive. And I would NOT trade for Cheechoo. His numbers are terrible for his contract, and I dont want that risk. I think they will try to acquire a veteran winger to a 1 year contract. After that point we really need both Caputi and Tangradi to be an integral part of our team. We cant compete in FA unless we move Staal. Re-signing Guerin or Kovalev look most likely, or even the outside chance of Jagr coming back. If possible I wouldnt mind Fedo coming back if Sykora demands too much money.

On the defensive side I think Scuderi is gone. He may get up to 2 million on the open market. We cant afford it if we want to retain Gogo and Letang the following season. Also we still have Eaton at 2 million

2009 - 2010
Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin/Kovalev/Jagr
Caputi - Malkin - Sykora/Fedo
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Dupuis/Jeffrey - Zigomanis - Godard/Talbot

2010 - 2011 - Tangradi becomes a full time player

Kunitz - Crosby - Tangradi
Caputi - Malkin - Sykora/Fedo
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy

Crosberry87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
MarryMarner

Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin
Sykora - Malkin - Antropov
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Godard - Talbot - Dupuis

Gonchar - Orpik
Letang - Beachemin
Eaton - Scuderi
Goligoski

Fluery
Auld

MarryMarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleafsfan91 View Post
Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin
Sykora - Malkin - Antropov
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Godard - Talbot - Dupuis

Gonchar - Orpik
Letang - Beachemin
Eaton - Scuderi
Goligoski

Fluery
Auld
And what are we going to pay Antro, Guerin, Auld, Beauchemin with? or are they all going to take big discounts to play on the Pens.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:57 PM
andora

see i like the idea of antropov there, but only if the price is right... or, you could give a tad more to antropov if it's comfortable that tangradi or caputi will make the team and compete...

however noone will know if they can until after antropov signs and we're into training camp...

i like antro though, i could really see him working dynamite with malkin... two big strong guys with sykora.. nummy imo

Old
03-09-2009, 10:48 PM
fritzthecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno12 View Post
anyone feelin' Ales Kotalik? hes a UFA thats gonna ask for some pesos. . but he'd be sick with Crosby and Kunitz. . . He gets 2.5 million right now, and will probably want at least 3.5M. i imagine. . I don't know, what do you people think?
I think he would be a good fit but I wouldnt do anything more than 3 million. His right handed shot could help out the power play.

fritzthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Making a lineup w/o cap hits is pretty pointless.

Hossa - Crosby - Havlat
Jagr - Malkin - Kovalev
Sedin - Sedin - Staal
Tkachuk - Sundin - Guerin

Gonchar - Blake
Zubov - Niedermayer
Spacek - Schneider

Fleury
Khabibulin

It sure is fun though.

Last edited by Ragamuffin Gunner: 03-09-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:56 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post

Hossa - Crosby - Havlat
Jagr - Malkin - Kovalev
Sedin - Sedin - Staal

Gonchar - Blake
Zubov - Niedermayer
Spacek - Schneider

Fleury
Khabibulin

It sure is fun though.
Get Orpik back on there

Old
03-10-2009, 03:57 AM
andora

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post

Hossa - Crosby - Havlat
Jagr - Malkin - Kovalev
Sedin - Sedin - Staal

Gonchar - Blake
Zubov - Niedermayer
Spacek - Schneider

Fleury
Khabibulin

It sure is fun though.
while many agree making lineup after lineup can be tedious, a childish attempt at proving that point such as this is even lamer imo...

Old
03-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
while many agree making lineup after lineup can be tedious, a childish attempt at proving that point such as this is even lamer imo...
Almost as lame as the post you just made.

Old
03-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Kotalik is interesting if he is coming on a Sykora-like contract. I don't see how he deserves 3 million a year. He has a 62 point year on his resume, but has never been over 43 otherwise. He never scored more than 25 and has only broken 20 three times in his eight years in the league. He is not looking like doing so this year. That's not conducive to getting 3 million+ and certainly not from us. At 2.5 like now it is worth a flier if it isn't for more than two seasons.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:10 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66877168 View Post
KUNITZ-CROSBY-Afinogenov(2.5)

Sedin(4)-MALKIN-Sykora(3)

COOKE-STAAL-KENNEDY

GODARD-TALBOT-DUPUIS

GONCHAR-ORPIK

LETANG-EATON

GOLIGOSKI-Grant

Fleury
Curry

Not an easy job for Shero unfortunately.
Sedin at 4mil, and he's already refused 6mil from Vancouver

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote