HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts Praises Callahan

Old
08-06-2011, 03:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Torts Praises Callahan

John Tortorella and Ryan Callahan will be participating in a charity event tomorrow in Rochester,NY. Marty Biron will also be there. Torts spoke to the Rochester paper about Callahan.

Quote:
“It’s not all about numbers,” Tortorella said. “It’s also about the little things you do as a player.

“When he’s on the bench (between shifts) and I’m looking up and down the bench (for the next line change), I’m always looking for him.”

Tortorella believes the Rangers inability to close out playoff victories — despite being ahead in the third period — was in part due to Callahan’s absence. The four-year NHL veteran suffered a broken ankle in the final week of the regular season by blocking a Zdeno Chara slap shot.

“We had three leads in the third period and we couldn’t nail them down,” Tortorella said.
http://blogs.democratandchronicle.co...llahan-to-nyr/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 03:14 PM
chip chipperson*

just give him the c so i can buy my jersey

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 03:25 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
This, please. I think most likely we won't see anything until the last few days of camp.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 03:51 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
buy your jersey, he'll get the C no doubt

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
Seconded

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 04:27 PM
MSG the place to be*

You mean Torts isn't looking up and down the bench for Gabby? What the....PUT THE GUYS WITH THE MOST CAREER PPG ON THE ICE TORTS.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

On a side note, Biron seems to be heavily involved with our charity functions. Glad to have him, great signing.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 04:37 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
You mean Torts isn't looking up and down the bench for Gabby? What the....PUT THE GUYS WITH THE MOST CAREER PPG ON THE ICE TORTS.

“We had three leads in the third period and we couldn’t nail them down,” Tortorella said."

Ahead by one goal in the third I'd rather have Callahan on the ice than Gabby.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post

“We had three leads in the third period and we couldn’t nail them down,” Tortorella said."

Ahead by one goal in the third I'd rather have Callahan on the ice than Gabby.
I believe he was being sarcastic.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 07:02 PM
gotmonte

Callahan is the MAN. Such an awesome Draft pick.

Its an honor to watch him play and the things he does after games and off ice. He is a perfect ATHLETE.

I know the league loves him (other fans) but they really dont understand just how much we love him and WHY we love him so much.

He is loved by EVERY RANGER FAN. there is NO ranger fan out there that says " man we should trade this guy" or "Why do we play him so much"?

I honestly can say I have a Bro-Crush on Callahan!

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 07:14 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I have a feeling they'll go with three As until the home opener and then introduce Cally as the Captain on the 27th. The roof would explode at MSG.
I'm a big fan of this. That would be very very cool.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 07:15 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post

He is loved by EVERY RANGER FAN. there is NO ranger fan out there that says " man we should trade this guy" or "Why do we play him so much"?

I honestly can say I have a Bro-Crush on Callahan!
Maybe you weren't around here two seasons ago

Half the board thought he was another one dimensional dime-a-dozen forward who we should bury in hartford because he wasn't progressing

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
Dunno why but that seems wrong to me. His play is fantastic and you wanna buy his jersey but not unless he gets a C? I'm going to go buy his jersey right now in outrage to your statement sir!!! WHAT!? MODELLS only sells Avery and Hank!? Bull!
Why would he buy a jersey with the A on it just to later learn that Cally got the C...

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
On a side note, Biron seems to be heavily involved with our charity functions. Glad to have him, great signing.
i can see why he has been on a bunch of teams lately. teams need good guys like him. i hope after this season Sather does the same thing he did with Fedotenko and resign him. Biron has been a good leader/mentor and helping the youth and also helping in the shootout. i wouldnt surprise to see him as a coach of some point when his playing days are over.. resign Biron...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
I believe he was being sarcastic.
Or being an idiot jumping on the Gaborik-needs-to-do-more-and-play-harder bandwagon postings of late...

With a lead in an elimination PO game, I'd be looking for Callahan as well.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:54 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Or being an idiot jumping on the Gaborik-needs-to-do-more-and-play-harder bandwagon postings of late...

With a lead in an elimination PO game, I'd be looking for Callahan as well.
No you're right, a guy making 7+ mil/year doesn't need to play hard and meet expectations. Silly posters/fans that expect the team's best players to show up and be the team's best players.

Rascally fans.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
No you're right, a guy making 7+ mil/year doesn't need to play hard and meet expectations. Silly posters/fans that expect the team's 2nd best player to show up and be the team's best player.

Rascally fans.
fixed it for ya

Hank is numero uno

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Cally is a complete player, I would want him on the ice the whole game if it were possible

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Garfinkel1

Didn't Sather turn down a trade for Heatley last season or two seasons ago that involved us shipping out Cally, MDZ(?) and a 1st or something?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:32 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Didn't Sather turn down a trade for Heatley last season or two seasons ago that involved us shipping out Cally, MDZ(?) and a 1st or something?
It was Zherdev, Dubinsky, Rozy, 1st and Sather turned it down.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:49 AM
RedLightDistrict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Callahan is the MAN. Such an awesome Draft pick.

Its an honor to watch him play and the things he does after games and off ice. He is a perfect ATHLETE.

I know the league loves him (other fans) but they really dont understand just how much we love him and WHY we love him so much.

He is loved by EVERY RANGER FAN. there is NO ranger fan out there that says " man we should trade this guy" or "Why do we play him so much"?!
During the lockout in '05, the Rangers held a sort of "state of the team" function at the training center in Tarrytown. Part of the event featured a Q & A session with Tom Renney -- how the CBA talks were going, what the team was going to look like once a new CBA was ratified, etc.

I'll never forget this: while the Rangers staff was waiting for the event to start and the audience to fill up, Tom Renney approached me and my buddy and in apropos of nothing, and struck up a conversation with us. Just small talk, but cool nevertheless.

Eventually the conversation shifted to hockey as people started to fill in. Having followed most of the guys the team picked in '04, I was most curious about Callahan. Kid seemed like he had potential, but he was a bit on the smallish side, and seemed more to fit the bill of trade bait that the team had used in years past.

I asked Renney what the long-term plans for Callahan were. Renney told us, "If we're smart, we're going to lock him up for as long as we can. Wait'll you see this kid play."

Gotta give credit to Renney and Clark and the rest of the scouting dep't for finding that diamond in the rough.

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLightDistrict View Post
During the lockout in '05, the Rangers held a sort of "state of the team" function at the training center in Tarrytown. Part of the event featured a Q & A session with Tom Renney -- how the CBA talks were going, what the team was going to look like once a new CBA was ratified, etc.

I'll never forget this: while the Rangers staff was waiting for the event to start and the audience to fill up, Tom Renney approached me and my buddy and in apropos of nothing, and struck up a conversation with us. Just small talk, but cool nevertheless.

Eventually the conversation shifted to hockey as people started to fill in. Having followed most of the guys the team picked in '04, I was most curious about Callahan. Kid seemed like he had potential, but he was a bit on the smallish side, and seemed more to fit the bill of trade bait that the team had used in years past.

I asked Renney what the long-term plans for Callahan were. Renney told us, "If we're smart, we're going to lock him up for as long as we can. Wait'll you see this kid play."

Gotta give credit to Renney and Clark and the rest of the scouting dep't for finding that diamond in the rough.
eh...renney was also the driving force for korpedo, montoya, and jessiman if im not mistaken....

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:52 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

And Korpedo's rounding out into a good player. But I still take who we have now over Renney any day.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And Korpedo's rounding out into a good player. But I still take who we have now over Renney any day.
ill wager any amount of money that Korpikoskis numbers drop off drastically next season. the guy had a higher shooting percentage than Stamkos last season, it was a HUGE outlier compared to the rest of his career...guy has always been a 7-9% shooter then last year goes up to 18%+ no way in hell that happens again. he's never been a scorer. a useful 3rd or 4th liner? absolutely...but i think ppl put too much stock into his stats from last year....id expect about 1/2 that performance going forward.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:15 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
ill wager any amount of money that Korpikoskis numbers drop off drastically next season. the guy had a higher shooting percentage than Stamkos last season, it was a HUGE outlier compared to the rest of his career...guy has always been a 7-9% shooter then last year goes up to 18%+ no way in hell that happens again. he's never been a scorer. a useful 3rd or 4th liner? absolutely...but i think ppl put too much stock into his stats from last year....id expect about 1/2 that performance going forward.
Agreed. That's not to say I don't think he's an awesome grinder, and one who I'd love to have playing on our 4th line, but his shot and offensive instincts just aren't good enough for him to consistently put up numbers like he did last season.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote