Old
06-02-2009, 12:32 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Nieuwy on Gustavsson:

source

I honestly think Dallas is the front-runner. We'll see though, the upheaval could rub him the wrong way.
I wouldn't take it as a bad thing. If Gustavsson really does have a relationship with Gustvasson, he's still in Dallas and presumably very happy with his new role.

Plus, I have a feeling guys wouldn't mind playing for a guy like Nieuwy. As I said in the other thread, Joe seems to have had a pretty big hand in landing Toronto's NCAA undrafted free agents (based on Bob McKenzie's comments).

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 09:01 AM
BigG44

Some more from Heika regarding Gustavsson:

Quote:
And no matter what anyone writes about Nieuwendyk being the key to the pursuit of Swedish free agent Jonas Gustavsson, Jackson is in control there. He has a velvet touch with kids, and he was the sole reason Fabian Brunnstrom chose the Stars over Detroit or Vancouver. Brunnstrom is good friends with Gustavsson, Stars Swedish scout Johan Garpenlov is a person Gustavsson trusts, and Jackson has been key in allowing those people to communicate with Gustavsson. Gustavsson's mother died in May, so this has been a very tough time. But the goalie who led his team to the Swedish Elite League championship appears to still want to play in the NHL next year, and Jackson will still play a major role in trying to recruit him.

Don't bet against the Stars getting him.
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...of-things.html

Old
06-02-2009, 10:42 AM
vofty

That article was a nice piece on Jackson as well, it is impossible not to feel bad for the guy after getting screwed over by Hull. I'm not sure if he still has aspirations to be a GM, but if he does I hope he gets to do it somewhere. If, however, he decided that the GM position is not all it is cracked up to be, obviously I hope he keeps working with the youth. It was a little disconcerting that the article said he wasn't at the press conference. I think if not right out of the gate, very soon that Nieuwendyk will be a fantastic GM and I'm glad the Stars got him, especially given the Florida situation. However, I still can't help but feel Jackson got the short end of the stick.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
That article was a nice piece on Jackson as well, it is impossible not to feel bad for the guy after getting screwed over by Hull. I'm not sure if he still has aspirations to be a GM, but if he does I hope he gets to do it somewhere. If, however, he decided that the GM position is not all it is cracked up to be, obviously I hope he keeps working with the youth. It was a little disconcerting that the article said he wasn't at the press conference. I think if not right out of the gate, very soon that Nieuwendyk will be a fantastic GM and I'm glad the Stars got him, especially given the Florida situation. However, I still can't help but feel Jackson got the short end of the stick.
I think the Stars brass wanted a younger person that has played along side some of the vets on the team. Ya we know Hull did but he was not groomed to be an NHL GM yet like Nieuwendyk has been while in Toronto.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:15 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 811
I did this for Brunnstrom... let's try it again.

?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:11 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Heika mentioned that Norstrom was part of the Stars' delegation in Sweden along with Garpenlov and Dahlen. First I've heard of that. Gotta love that guy, class act all the way.

Old
06-17-2009, 11:20 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Heika mentioned that Norstrom was part of the Stars' delegation in Sweden along with Garpenlov and Dahlen. First I've heard of that. Gotta love that guy, class act all the way.
I wonder how his daughters are. I know they had special needs which played a big part in his decision to retire.

I don't know if it was Armstong's intention, but the best part of the Norstrom trade may have been Grossman's development.

Old
06-17-2009, 11:24 PM
BigG44

Do you think if Nieuwendyk's first pitch is anything like this:

Gustavsson would be too embarrassed to sign with Dallas?

Old
06-17-2009, 11:41 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
great, Norstrom is a great guy. He was always completely underrated too.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Caseman

Was at Game 3 vs. San Jose. Witnessed the OT goal. Gotta love Norstrom.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:09 AM
ColeJ

i've got the nieuwendyk interview transcript on my blog, if anyone cares to read it.

http://theother6seconds.blogspot.com/

ColeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:37 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Thanks for the transcript, I missed the part about the team plane watching it live. Yay scheduling synergy.

Old
06-19-2009, 11:08 AM
ColeJ

lucky for me, i DVR'd it, cause i was asleep for work (graveyard shift ftl)

even then, it wasn't fun trying to transcript it. i must have paused and rewinded like 20 times, but oh well.

ColeJ is offline   Reply With Quote