HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predict John Mitchell's potential

Old
03-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Ten

vCash: 500
He's gaining confidence with the puck, which is good. Gives 100% on just about every shift. Uses his frame to protect the puck. Good hands around the net. Deceptively fast, not a guy you'd expect to be able to fly.

I can see him as a 20/20 guy. A solid 2nd line player or a great 3rd liner.

Best of all he's a Toronto born kid who loves being here, and should sign for less in the future. Can't have enough players like John to help us win.

Quickly becoming a favourite in my eyes. Very glad he's now afforded ice-time, which I was hoping for at the expense of Moore/Grabovski @ the deadline.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
I can hardly believe you don't like his checking game with out the puck! Maybe it was the times you watched him close he had bad games,but i really like his game with out the puck.

not saying it is perfect though.
He isn't the only one whose called out Mitchell's game without the puck, Wilson has specifically noted Mitchell's defensive game as something of a work in progress. To be honest, Mitchell plays more like a top 6 forward then a bottom 9. He's not overly physical, he doesn't muck it up, his defensive game isn't as polished as people on this board say and he plays a perimeter game. He really needs to start getting his nose dirty more.

Edit: Make that Bottom 6

Last edited by Antropovsky: 03-06-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:38 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
He's gaining confidence with the puck, which is good. Gives 100% on just about every shift. Uses his frame to protect the puck. Good hands around the net. Deceptively fast, not a guy you'd expect to be able to fly.

I can see him as a 20/20 guy. A solid 2nd line player or a great 3rd liner.

Best of all he's a Toronto born kid who loves being here, and should sign for less in the future. Can't have enough players like John to help us win.

Quickly becoming a favourite in my eyes. Very glad he's now afforded ice-time, which I was hoping for at the expense of Moore/Grabovski @ the deadline.
He is probably the center on the team right now with the most potential.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:02 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
LMFAO The funny thing about that statement is that its true .

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:02 PM
The Big Swede

Either an average 2nd line center or a superb 3rd line center

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:13 PM
equipe

I don't think he'll be anything more then a solid 3rd liner, putting up 15G 25A.

I think he will fit in well to the Burkian mold when as he develops into his role.

equipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:13 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

he's had a good week...been very inconsistent this season. he's got a long way to go to be a #2 guy on a winning team.

he's become stronger defensively but not overly physical to be an effective checking 3rd line centre.

he'll be a tough fit on a better leaf team, a competitive playoff team anyway. I hope he does find a spot, he's a likable player who works hard.

sadly, a team with hardly any skill at forward can make mitchell look pretty good. he'd never even make most NHL teams though. can you see him playing in detroit or jersey or boston?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:41 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
can you see him playing in detroit or jersey or boston?
Yes. I very easily could.

BlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Leaf Shaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
He's going to be a very good third line center who will probably be around the 40 point mark consistently. I love the guy because he doesn't really appear to have a major weakness. He does things well, doesn't do anything badly.

Absolute ceiling of a 2nd line center, probably a good 3rd line center. He's one of those "safe" guys, as opposed to a hit or miss.
One thing I don't hear many people mention is how strong he is. He hardly gets knocked off the puck. If he was to start hitting more people would realize how strong he is. He's almost like a Mike Fisher strong.

Leaf Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Arian

a good 3rd line center.

Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:12 PM
ToneBone03
#Facepalm

As with the general consensus, I see Mitchell being a very good third liner with 40 point potential. Absolute ceiling of a second line center, but third liner much more likely.

ToneBone03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
There are some catch all phrases one can use ...

It's like saying he has to get better defensively.
He has to improve his skating.
He has to brush his teeth more often.
Uh huh.

I notice you didn't exactly have anything to counter what I said...."catch-all phrase" or otherwise.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:24 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Uh huh.

I notice you didn't exactly have anything to counter what I said...."catch-all phrase" or otherwise.
Not sure there is a young player on the Leafs, or many other teams that don't have to improve their play without the puck.

It is almost like saying, they have to eat good food, and be in shape.

I think it is redundant to point out a first year NHLer has to be better without the puck.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Ten

Quote:
Absolutely.

He was money for the Marlies in the playoffs, going forward this is a kid who would have more of an impact than a Grabovski or a Stajan in the post season.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:59 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

he is what he is. He's another average player that were all gushing about because he's had some good games. Mediocrity is well accepted around these parts.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:06 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
he is what he is. He's another average player that were all gushing about because he's had some good games. Mediocrity is well accepted around these parts.
Possibly harsh

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:23 PM
richardn

Quote:
I will start by saying he is looking like a steal of a pick at #158 imo.

I believe Mitchell is starting to show potential that many people might not have thought he possessed. The poise around the net and on the rush is starting to look like we have a potential significant goal scorer coming in the very near future. He is quickly turning into a player i enjoy watching most on the team.

i think he is a gimmy to start potting 20 goal seasons.

thoughts?
Mitchell is a 3rd or 4th line center who needs to improve his checking game if he wants to remain in the NHL. I don't see him putting up top 6 forward like numbers but you never know.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:52 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Possibly harsh
and also very very true. It's really quite sad.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:41 PM
zeke
#freewilly

I don't get the "future 3rd line centre" stuff.

the guy is ALREADY a good two-way 3rd line centre in the NHL as a ROOKIE.

he's scoring at a solid 30-35 point pace, which is very solid 3rd line production, despite playing with the likes of Mayers, May, Hollweg, and Deveaux the majority of the year.

and every time he's been given any additional responsibility on a higher line or on the PP, he's shown that he can easily produce better than that...again, as a ROOKIE.

and anyone who thinks he isn't good defensively isn't watching - the guy is already a very good defensive player as a ROOKIE.

I can't believe people would look at a Rookie's +/- rating when he's played on a team with godawful goaltending, playing with crap linemates all year.

But even if we look at +/- rating......the kid was a -10 in the FIRST 22 GAMES OF HIS NHL CAREER.

Since then - since he got past the first two months of his NHL career - he's been an EVEN +/- player, despite playing with crap linemates with no offensive ability and little defensive ability, and playing in front of the worst goaltending in the league.

The guy is already a good two-way 3rd line centre as an NHL rookie - and the more he plays with good players with real minutes, the more he's showing that he might ALREADY be 2nd line material here in his ROOKIE SEASON.

The kid is good. Really good.

He's got the whole package - size, speed, hands, smarts, toughness, and work ethic.

if management hadn't decided to bury him behind the likes of Grabovski - even though Mitchell produced the same as Grabo did in the AHL at the same ages, with a much better all-around game - the kid would probably be producing as a 40-50 point guy here in his ROOKIE SEASON.

Hell, with near 20 games to go of top line time, he might get up near that 40 point level by the end of the season.

Last edited by zeke: 03-06-2009 at 04:48 PM.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:48 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
He's a hungrier Stajan.
he's like Stajan with size, skating, and a big shot.

And I like Stajan.

Old
03-06-2009, 04:51 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
He isn't the only one whose called out Mitchell's game without the puck, Wilson has specifically noted Mitchell's defensive game as something of a work in progress. To be honest, Mitchell plays more like a top 6 forward then a bottom 9. He's not overly physical, he doesn't muck it up, his defensive game isn't as polished as people on this board say and he plays a perimeter game. He really needs to start getting his nose dirty more.
I was surprised at how non-physical he was for the early part of this season - well, pretty much the entire first half of the year.

And I think his recent comments about "easing himself into the NHL" might explain it.

But he's really picked up the physical part of his game the last month or two. He's starting to hit and hit often, and power to the front of the net. And, like last night, he's started to mix it up with a guy like Steckel when they start disrespecting us.

Old
03-06-2009, 04:55 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
You sound surprised....? It happened with Stajan earlier in the season, we have seen it happen with Kulemin (myself included), and going further back Antropov and Ponikarovsky. When a team has so little to get excited about even a fringe NHL prospect like Mitchell can be made to look like a bluechipper.

Old
03-06-2009, 04:58 PM
zeke
#freewilly

You know, it's funny.

When other teams suck and have kids playing well - say St.Louis or LA - nobody says they're just good because they play on crappy teams.

Mitchell was the best player on the ice last night in a game against one of the most talented teams in the league.

Watch and learn.

Old
03-06-2009, 05:02 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
You know, it's funny.

When other teams suck and have kids playing well - say St.Louis or LA - nobody says they're just good because they play on crappy teams.

Mitchell was the best player on the ice last night in a game against one of the most talented teams in the league.

Watch and learn.
I recall you saying the same thing when you tried to argue Stajan was a bonafide #2 centerman, and that our secondary players were just as good as those found on Det, SJ, NJ, Bos and Was eariler in the year.

Old
03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
I recall you saying the same thing when you tried to argue Stajan was a bonafide #2 centerman,
Stajan is a bona fide #2 centreman.

On pace for 60+ points on a top-10 scoring team in the league.