HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella With the Media Today

Old
03-06-2009, 06:14 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Tortorella With the Media Today

Talked about Big Nik

Quote:
"He's exciting to me because of his size and his ability. You can see the ability to make plays. On Chris' (Drury's) goal, he made a great pass off the wall. (Wade) Redden's in front of the net instead of being on the point, he just rotated in front. Derek Morris has to understand to look in front, he's got a big shot, can move the puck."

Back to Antro: "I think he was in the background (with the Leafs). Sundin was everything in Toronto, Nik played kind of in the shadow, when you do that, you may get lost a little bit. We want him to be a big part of this team here, we're gonna give him the opportunity to not be in the shadow of anybody, be one of those guys we look to go to...I'm not in his head. I just want to see him try to make a difference every night and not wait for someone else to do that. That sometimes happens to players when another guys carrying the load and it kind of takes the pressure off you a little bit, ' I kinda don't have to be there all the time.' For us to get to be where we want to be, he has to be there every night for us. That's why we traded for him."
So he wants Nik to become a go to guy...interesting to see how Antropov will take that role but excited to see. Also looks like he wants Nik to become a big part of the team..maybe to give him something to look forward to next season? Resigning hopefully...

Then its gets hilarious:

Quote:
Torts: "I think the boys like playing afternoon games. You don't have to wait around, that's the worst part about the game of hockey. You have the morning skate, you have meetings, that allows coaches to overcoach, you have all day long to talk about it; it's an instinctive game and when you play those afternoon games, I think it's great for coaches and players because you get right at it."

At that point, I volunteered that the Rangers were 0 and 5 this season in the afternoon, and before I could finish, I touched a nerve.

"I don't give a damn about your stats," Torts shot back. "I don't give a damn about your stats. We're gonna try to approach the game the proper way. I'm not a big stat guy, you can turn those things around anyway you want."

The coach then basically tossed off another writer's question as to whether there was any difference getting guys into the lineup at home or on the road. (FYI, Aaron Voros skated with the team again.)

"You're over-thinking it," Torts said.

Reporter: "I'm not overthinking it, I'm asking you a question, I want your opinion."

Torts: "I'm not over-thinking it, so I'll say no."

End of media session.

Anyone else thinking that "reporter" at the end might have been Brooks?

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/

There is a bit more, but i posted the interesting stuff.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

This guy is great. I'm loving Torts.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 06:31 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Poor poor Brooksy

I like Torts fire. The team needs that.

I already feel this team is Waaaay less vanilla than 2 weeks ago. Amazing really.

03-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

Anyone else thinking that "reporter" at the end might have been Brooks?
It was actually Andrew Gross: http://njmg.typepad.com/rangersblog/...onfidence.html

I think maybe he scared Brooks off.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:11 PM
levski87

"The coach then basically tossed off another writer's question as to whether there was any difference getting guys into the lineup at home or on the road"

The question Andrew Gross asked was completely retarded. He was overthinking it, Torts told him off.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:17 PM
gravytrain6t

Guys if Mike Keenan is nick named "Iron Mike." What would be a good nick name for "Torts?" I think he's got more Iron down below than Keenan does. Of course, metaphorically speaking.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:50 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Nick00

We know what we did.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:36 PM
beastly115

I like how up front Torts is about everything.

Renney would have been going on and on about how Nik never should have made that pass because he should have been playing defense!

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:40 PM
NYROrtsFan

The reporter at the end was not Brooks. It was Gross. Gross is awesome too. His blog is the best right now. Carp sucks.. Shame that Weinman is gone.

ANyway, the writers will soon turn on Torts. Any loss, they will start to barrage him and then write articles that are meant to get the fans pissed at Torts. Eventually it will happen too.

The NY media doesn't like to be talked down to on a regular basis.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:57 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Totorella is not my first choice but he's growing on me. I can see lots of New Yorkers really enjoying his f-u style.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:39 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
The reporter at the end was not Brooks. It was Gross. Gross is awesome too. His blog is the best right now. Carp sucks.. Shame that Weinman is gone.

ANyway, the writers will soon turn on Torts. Any loss, they will start to barrage him and then write articles that are meant to get the fans pissed at Torts. Eventually it will happen too.

The NY media doesn't like to be talked down to on a regular basis.
He snapped at Zipay as well. I know something about "I don't give a dam about your stats." It sounds like he's setting a precident right away with Zipay. Brooks, he already took care of. Who's from the Daily News? Well he probably learned vicariously back in that Tampa/Debs series.
There is no link to this conversation is there? I mean, not just reading it. I would love to watch that post practice interview. It figures. Everything Renney said, the Rangers website always provided fans with the video footage. I guess maybe the convo will show up on youtube one day.

Old
03-06-2009, 11:02 PM
eco's bones

I don't know. Maybe it's just me--but I don't see how he handles the Rangers beat reporters having a lot to do with what actually happens on the ice. So far he's been good there which is what really counts.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:28 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
We know what we did.

Hopefully im not the only one that got that.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Totorella is not my first choice but he's growing on me. I can see lots of New Yorkers really enjoying his f-u style.
right because most new yorkers like to be told to **** off "we suck and you will like it!!!" yeah that flies in NY....

this guy is a napoleon tough guy - thinks he can stare everybody down like the fonz well good luck with him. Gomez has absolutely no career in NY as long as this ****** is running the team.. Tortolini is a complete ****** vinegar and water style extra medicated

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:35 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
right because most new yorkers like to be told to **** off "we suck and you will like it!!!" yeah that flies in NY....

this guy is a napoleon tough guy - thinks he can stare everybody down like the fonz well good luck with him. Gomez has absolutely no career in NY as long as this ****** is running the team.. Tortolini is a complete ****** vinegar and water style extra medicated
Don't hold back...get it all out!

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:46 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post

Well it seems like after this tantrum, you have some vinegar as well in your veins. Kind of hypocritical, no? I wonder what those stars could possibly be translated as?

Old
03-07-2009, 12:58 AM
DutchShamrock

He tore into Brooks and it is widely viewed on the internet... pretty embarassing. Yet Brooks still pushed for Tortorella to be the next coach before Renney was fired.

Brooks also makes some jokes relating to that exchange. Either Brooks is the only writer with tough skin or we are underestimating their professionalism.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:00 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

He is who we thought he was!

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:13 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
0-5 in the afternoon eh...that's not good, I just got tickets for the Bruins game on Sunday! Oh well, make that 1-5

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 03:26 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

I'm really excited about Torts, the way the team plays with him as coach, and the way he handles the media. This guy seems to be always on his toes, and so is the team. I'm very thankful he made our season interesting again. Since his first game, I'm really looking forward to see the Rangers play; from december-february, I was more afraid than excited....
I absolutely enjoy these afternoon games, 'cause I don't have to get up at 1:00 a.m. to watch it

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 03:33 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Torts>All

hes already my favorite coach ever...and it hasnt taken even 5 games yet.

Love his style, love his no bs attitude...love everything about the guy. imho, we'll eventually win a championship with this guy behind the bench & lundqvist between the pipes, i have no doubts whatsoever.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 05:19 AM
The_Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
hahahaha, i'm liking Tortellini aswell!!!

The_Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Torts>All

hes already my favorite coach ever...and it hasnt taken even 5 games yet.

Love his style, love his no bs attitude...love everything about the guy. imho, we'll eventually win a championship with this guy behind the bench & lundqvist between the pipes, i have no doubts whatsoever.
From your lips to God's ears!!

Let's go Rangers!

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Blueblood 2

Love it. You are my brother Fredo and I love you, but don't you ever..................
What is your hobby John? UH,...Waste management!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote