HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

First impressions of the newbies?

Old
03-05-2009, 09:08 PM
lundy

vCash: 500
First impressions of the newbies?

So what are our first impressions of the new guys after tonight (Antropov, Morris, Avery)? I thought Antropov looked good, played well around the net, had some solid opps (didn't score obviously).

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:12 PM
2Leetch_94

Solid. Antropov got better as the game went on. Made that nice feed to Drury for the first PP goal.

Morris looked shaky early on, needs to watch the passes in front of the net.

Avery was Avery.

2Leetch_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Chain Attack

Antropov looked good. He had the goalie beat on that shot off the post, and obviously got an assist on the pp. Big body + nice hands.

Chain Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Antropov seemed to gain comfort later in the game, and looked pretty solid all things considered.

Morris played a nice, physical game, and other than one questionable pass played pretty damn well.

For the first game, I think you have to be very happy.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:21 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Very happy with all three. I really like what Morris is gonna bring once he gets settled in and gets some practices under his belt. Tron is a monster and his plays in front of the net are gonna get this team some goals. He is just so big and hard to move when hes there, it will lead to good things. Avery being back was exhilirating. I love the energy that he brings every shift. Sure he got planted out there a bit, but at the same time he drew powerplays, has the edge still, and best of all seems to be in much more control. So happy to see #16 back.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:23 PM
McMonster

Antropov, Morris, and Avery were all good.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:33 PM
FLYLine24*

Was very happy with all three...but the two cross the net passes in the first period by Morris made me nervous...I guess the coaches said something to him after that since he stopped doing it.

Big Nik is going to get a lot of points with us, finally someone who is good around the net and has size...

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:34 PM
hlundqvist30*

Avery was Avery. He's clearly not in game shape yet, but that's expected. In a week or so he'll be 100%. He was still stirring **** but he kept himself in line. This was a good game for him for the simple reason that nothing happened. The worst thing that could have happened was he do something that gets him a 10 minute misconduct or something and create pandemonium. He needed a quiet (by his standards) game just to get it over with.

Morris reminded me of Mara when he came here. He was neither noticeably good nor noticeably bad. He mad a gaffe or 2 in our defensive zone but neither major and he also had some good plays as well. For a defenseman it's especially difficult to be thrown into a new system with new players. He'll be more active as time goes on.

Antropov I really am liking. He has good speed for a guy his size, and has a good shot as well as the scoring instinct. He reminded me a lot of Jagr in that he is a huge body that is hard to take off the puck and is a magnet for defenders. There were a few times where he just used his size to either take the puck or keep it much like Jagr used to do, and on his assist specifically he drew two guys to him, carried the puck despite their attempts to knock him off it, and found an open Drury. I know people claim he doesn't "use his body" in the sense of a gritty player like a Ryan Smyth, but he certainly does use his body in a different way that is very successful. Jagr wasn't physical by any means, but he used his size to control and carry the puck. I see that in Antropov (I'm not trying to say that Antropov is as good as Jagr or is a future 50 goal scorer. I'm only comparing them in terms of style.)

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:35 PM
ecemleafs

morris points have been quite low this year but they were saying during the game that he had a high ankle sprain most of the year. and is only recently 100%....i had a high ankle sprain in july that didnt get 100% til around new years so i know the pain hes also got a really good hard low shot. id like to see it be the focal point of our pp with bodies in front of the net.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:39 PM
rickyrod

I almost couldn't believe I was watching Sean Avery when he calmly skated over to the scrum and didn't join in after Hunter boarded him. I'm glad he's home, though.

Thought Antropov was a good fit on the Dubi-Drury line. And I'd like to see Morris shoot more, but they all looked fine for the first game in a new system, especially playing in a rivalry game that looked like it meant a little more to the Isles than it did to us.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:43 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I think Antropov will be a decent addition. He played a nice game, and got better as the game went on. I think he should have scored on that play right in front of the net...but he waited too long. I think it was the first period.

Morris looked like Morris, shaky. I think Morris will be a rental, and essentially useless. This guy has been an underachiever his entire career, and not the kind of guy I want on this team, personally.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:09 AM
ret513

Anybody else a little concerned about Avery taking all those hits along the board?

Was it rust, being slow along the boards, or was he purposely trying to draw penalties? He's got a big target on his back and dont want to see him injured so close to playoffs.
Thought he played well for 1st game.

ret513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:12 AM
NYROrtsFan

I think that comes with anticipation. Even though he was playing in the minors, there is a lot of anticipation that comes with figuring out when to make hits, when to make certain plays, and how to avoid hits.

A couple of the times he was trying to draw some penalties, but the others he was just getting caught in some bad spots.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:26 AM
ret513

Guess few more games will help... just feel like time running out. Have to all gell now

ret513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:30 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I think Antropov will be a decent addition. He played a nice game, and got better as the game went on. I think he should have scored on that play right in front of the net...but he waited too long. I think it was the first period.

Morris looked like Morris, shaky. I think Morris will be a rental, and essentially useless. This guy has been an underachiever his entire career, and not the kind of guy I want on this team, personally.
he may be a rental you are right. hes pretty well rooted in phoenix, so you may be correct there.

as far as the his play goes, im pretty sure hell do a nice job for us and i would gladly take him over rozy right now. period. morris has game, hes a very good 2nd pair dman and id take his game over rozy anyday. hes not flashy but hell make few mistakes- unlike mike. he makes a good first pass and doesnt turn it over much- unlike mike. he plays physical and has a mean streak- unlike mike. and finally, he has pp play skills and an excellent slapper from the point- unlike mike.

count me as one who hopes he plays well here, learns to love the city, moves his family here in the summer, and signs an affordable but fair 2 yr deal to play for us.

then we can move rozy on draft day with our pick and perhaps move up a bit.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:39 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Antropov's shot is insanely hard. He also has GREAT hands. He is not fast but in tight spots i can see him controlling the puck well.

I can see him putting in a few big goals for us, especially on the power play.

Morris looks like he can move the puck very well.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:39 AM
TheProspector

Good to see Big Nik getting more appreciation on his new team.

You guys will like him, and got a very good deal. He wins almost every puck battle along the boards and in the corners, has a great shot, and has the best hand-eye for tip-ins I've seen in a while. In addition, he's got a great defensive stick.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Avery played great. Antropov looked solid, made some nice passes. Morris played well defensively, had a good shot and made some good passes.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:49 PM
frozenH20

Avery for the most part, looked like he never left, but probably just needs a few games to shake off the cobwebs. His skating was a bit wobbly b/c he got knocked down more often and easier than I remember and his timing seemed a little off causing him to miss that breakaway shot. I think he needed to show he could give the opposition problems, without going overboard. He took his hits w/o retaliating --enough so to justify sending out Orr to do the enforcer thing. The line combination needs work; I didnít notice Avery-Korp-Callahan doing anything together, just individual efforts. Korp and Callahan need to take advantage of whatever opportunities created when the opposition is trying to take Avery head off.

Morris played well after a few shaky shifts and WTF pass. He notably way more decisive passing and shooting the puck, passes are crisp, shoots low and hard.

Antropov is freakin HUGE, goalscoring hands, and knows how and when to move the puck (great passes and assists). His skating is somewhat ponderous, what he lacks in speed and finess, he seems to make up for with long strides. I didnít notice him getting caught or lagging. We need to send him to the net and just keep putting the puck on goal within his reach. Looked fine with Dubinky and Drury.

frozenH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:54 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Morris had a shaky first period, but some of you need to get your eyes checked. He was pretty good later in the game, made several excellent plays in fact. His shots didn't get through, but that will come.

I admit, I forgot how useful Avery can be. It's amazing, he's such a ********, and yet he seems to care more about winning than almost any player I've ever seen. He never takes a shift off.

Antropov's performance was about what you expect from him. Hopefully more time with the team will allow him to feel more comfortable to work around the net. I hope they can find a way to refine his skating. It's always something about him that irked me.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:59 PM
FLYLine24*

Morris came into the team wanting to play with a young player and help him along...hopefully they pair him with Girardi.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Nick00

Looks like Antropov is going to really help the PP.
I'd like to see the team utilize him in front of the net more, just let him stand there and get pucks through.
That's where he'll score most of his goals, deflecting it or just jamming it in.
Once he positions himself he's nearly impossible to move.
Wait until he's had a couple of practices with the team, I think he'll be very effective.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:04 PM
jerseydevil

If Antropov is resigned I'll bet 20 bucks that he's getting booed halfway through next season...

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:08 PM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
If Antropov is resigned I'll bet 20 bucks that he's getting booed halfway through next season...

Why?

draeko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:15 PM
msgminus

antropov hit a post last night.

seems like he already has the rangers' mannerisms down!
Posted via Mobile Device

msgminus is offline   Reply With Quote