HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Should they stay or should they go?

Old
03-07-2009, 09:48 PM
2yotesfans88

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Maloney's first job during the offseason should be convincing Gretzky to get his ass back up in the ownership suite and getting a real coaching staff behind the bench...then decide who comes back and who goes.
or how bout this...maybe bring in a Queneville type as the new "assistant". TGO can stay "head coach". but we will all know the real deal.

2yotesfans88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:14 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Well, that's what I meant - right now he's not holding anyone up, but next season may be a different story. Which is why I say give him until next trade deadline to prove he wants to stick in the league enough to ramp up his game.

We just trade a guy we gave up significant assets for because he wasn't willing to elevate his game and play to his full ability. No reason to keep another guy like that just because he's got great wheels and an occasional flashy offensive move.
Ok then....I don't think we should sign him to a multi-year contract. I just want TGO to put him in a position to succeed for more than a couple of games. Scratch that...I just want TGO to quit.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootThePuckCoyotes View Post
On your fisrt point, I don't think anyone right now on our team is a first liner on most other teams including Doan. Potentially, we have a few but our team is full of players that are oozing potential because we are so young.

I will get back to you on your second point tonight when I get home.

I am not sold on Enver either I am just not even close to ready to throw him away like some people are. This is the point I am trying to make. He has played less games than all of our second year guys who are in slumps but no one is throwing them out to pasture.

Maybe Team Turris is right, maybe he doesn't practice hard but according to Telly no ones does.
Dead wrong on Doan. He's a first liner on every team in the league hands down. You tell me if he was traded to Calgary, they wouldn't immediately team him with Iginla? or Thornton in San Jose? or Zetterberg in Motown? He's captain of Team Canada for a reason. He's just an awesome hockey player.

I still like Lisen and his speed. He has the same problem Olli did - no chemistry with a set line. My assumption is that if we traded him, he's turn into a better player a la Dan Cleary and we'd regret losing him.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:24 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Don't give up on Winnik. He's had to deal with alot of things this year that most of you would have no idea about (and I wouldn't expect you to). He can do more than just crash and bang if the minutes are given. Gretz has been throwing him with different players and not giving him enough games. He'll bounce back, have faith. He's got a good head on his shoulders and works extremely hard all year around to succeed.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:34 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Don't give up on Winnik. He's had to deal with alot of things this year that most of you would have no idea about (and I wouldn't expect you to). He can do more than just crash and bang if the minutes are given. Gretz has been throwing him with different players and not giving him enough games. He'll bounce back, have faith. He's got a good head on his shoulders and works extremely hard all year around to succeed.
Can you elaborate on that? If its something personal then don't get into too much detail.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:38 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

I'd prefer not to. Just know the player really likes the Coyotes organization and puts in a tremendous amount of work to make it.

Old
03-07-2009, 11:45 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
I'd prefer not to. Just know the player really likes the Coyotes organization and puts in a tremendous amount of work to make it.
I love these types of posts. They are the equivalent of the "my inside source" posts on the trade board.

I believe nothing till it's proven on the Wild Wild Web. Some times not even then.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:47 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I love these types of posts. They are the equivalent of the "my inside source" posts on the trade board.

I believe nothing till it's proven on the Wild Wild Web. Some times not even then.
That's not very nice. If it wasn't something personal, sure, I'd talk about it. But why discuss something that is personal and they would not want to be leaked?

I'm just saying I think he has alot more to offer you guys, and he should stick around next year. A 1 year contract to prove himself after a rough year would be fair.

Old
03-07-2009, 11:48 PM
k1llua

Quote:
Okay. I can understand that much. The organization could probably use someone besides Doan as a lifer It's always good to hear that about players. Especially when there have been rumors that certain recently traded players were not doing as much.

If it's a personal issue, I can respect that. I just wanted to know if it was something personal or not, I don't need specifics.

Old
03-07-2009, 11:55 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
That's not very nice. If it wasn't something personal, sure, I'd talk about it. But why discuss something that is personal and they would not want to be leaked?
I'm not trying to be mean, but this IS the Wild Wild Web.

And I don't necessarily mean specifics either. I'm saying that I have 0 Reason to believe you know anything more than any of the rest of us. It is you I am questioning not what you know. It's all about the source not what is said.

Prove that there is a reason you could know something and I would believe you.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 12:23 AM
hao chi

Quote:
I hope Winnik does better next season either with the Coyotes or another team, but the reality is this organization has an overabundance of top nine forwards (especially after the trade deadline) and GMDM is going to have to let some of these players go. Winnik might even be able to get more ice time with another team.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Those of you ready to give up on Lisin already are being short sighted IMHO. The fact that after two games people are already convinced the new comers are keepers reinforces that.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 09:46 AM
zyllyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Those of you ready to give up on Lisin already are being short sighted IMHO. The fact that after two games people are already convinced the new comers are keepers reinforces that.
I would counter that some people are being way too emotional and not objective about Lisin. There's a tendency for folks in the fanbase to put Barbara Walters filters over their eyes when they evaluate people on the team (see: Daniel Carcillo), and that's natural. Nothing wrong with it.

But it's not like Lisin hasn't been in the system for more than a handful of games. He's been playing in the Coyotes' system for three years now between here and San Antonio and with the way the team culture has changed to reward performance instead of interminably waiting for a breakout (see: Freddie Sjostrom), he's going to have to prove he's got what it takes to stick in the NHL if he's going to stick around here.

And by the way, so far the only guys I'm convinced are keepers are Prucha and Lombardi. For me, the jury's still out on Dawes and Upshall, and nothing I've seen out of Kalinin yet makes me think he'll stick around any longer than Oleg Kvasha did.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 09:51 AM
hbk

I'm almost at the point where I want to see Shane Doan traded to the destination of his choice.

Azcentral wrote a great column this week but for a player who's given his heart and soul and undivided loyalty to this franchise I think we can all agree it hasn't been worth it (for him).

He deserves to be treated better and at 32 the days of his being patient while the team "rebuilds" should be over. Out of respect to Shane Doan, I think he deserves to be traded.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 10:41 AM
ParisSaintGermain

Lisin has talent but very inconstent work rate. He needs to become better rounded but I want him to stay with the organisation for now. I suspect he is the kind of player that needs to be pushed by teammates and will benefit from the new spirit in the locker room.

I know it is only two games and it is easy to get carried away with the new guys but I have the feeling that we have replaced players in the NHL (Goertzen, Winnik...) with proper NHL players.

ParisSaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 01:12 PM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I'm almost at the point where I want to see Shane Doan traded to the destination of his choice.

Azcentral wrote a great column this week but for a player who's given his heart and soul and undivided loyalty to this franchise I think we can all agree it hasn't been worth it (for him).

He deserves to be treated better and at 32 the days of his being patient while the team "rebuilds" should be over. Out of respect to Shane Doan, I think he deserves to be traded.
I know a lot of you are probably too pessimistic to agree, but this team finally has a lot of great, young talent, and I think this team will be pretty good within 1-2 seasons. I think Doan realizes this and would rather stick around a bit longer to see that happen instead of wasting his time here then leaving when thinks are finally about to get better.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 01:31 PM
omnimutant

Lisin and Winnik are both some of the best players we have down the long haul.

Lisin has been repeatedly referred to as the Fastest skater in the NHL, and oh yea the guy can score like crazy when we keep him on a line more then 30 seconds.

From the first day I saw Him Play Winnik reminds me of a young Doan. This guy Spews effort and Grit and seems to have a scoring touch that hasn't been displayed much of late. The guy can hold a zone like Nobody on the team when he's on top of his game. Remember he's probably in a sophomore slump as well.

Lisin and Winnik are both special players that you'd never want to give up on, and over time with some decent tutelage will grow into amazing players. I feel Carcillo was the same way and thinks its unfortunate that we got rid of him.

As far as Doan not being an Elite player, someones smoking crack. Any team would give almost every asset they have to get Doan. He brings so much to this game it's insane. Theres a reason he's Captain of team Canada and in the all star game every year.

omnimutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 01:58 PM
zyllyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimutant View Post
Lisin has been repeatedly referred to as the Fastest skater in the NHL, and oh yea the guy can score like crazy when we keep him on a line more then 30 seconds.
Really? I haven't seen that show up on the scoresheet. He can deke like crazy and skate like crazy and shoot like crazy but I haven't seen the actual goals show up just yet.

Quote:
Lisin and Winnik are both special players that you'd never want to give up on, and over time with some decent tutelage will grow into amazing players. I feel Carcillo was the same way and thinks its unfortunate that we got rid of him.
Naturally, I'll have to disagree with you on Carcillo. RE: Lisin and Winnik, I think Lisin could have a good career as maybe a second-line sniper, but Winnik is probably going to top out as a third-line grinder. I love Winnik's attitude but I'm realistic about his talent.

Quote:
As far as Doan not being an Elite player, someones smoking crack. Any team would give almost every asset they have to get Doan. He brings so much to this game it's insane. Theres a reason he's Captain of team Canada and in the all star game every year.
Actually, he hasn't been in the All-Star Game every year. In fact, this year was only his second All-Star appearance, his first coming in 2004. As for him being elite, sure he's elite. But I think he's more valuable for his character than his point totals - his best season was last year with 78 points which doesn't put him into superstar territory. I think virtually any team in the NHL would make him their captain, but not every team would put him on the 1st line. That's just the way I see it.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
phxroadrunner

Reinprecht needs to go. Move Mueller back to center. He's been a disappointment on the wing, sophomore slump notwithstanding. He's slow, not physical and he doesn't compete each and every shift. Maybe all that would change if he made the switch.
Keep Dawes, Prucha, Upshall, Winnik and Kalinin. If we're gonna continue to struggle to score two goals a game, I'd rather it be done with new faces.
I wouldn't mind seeing Lisin go. The guy has scored a couple pretty goals and everyone thinks he's a bonafide scorer. Hell, he hasn't shown he can score consistently in the AHL. In addition, I'm afraid he lacks one skill that's difficult to teach: hockey sense. He's weak defensively, turns the puck over in the neutral zone
instead of getting it deep and has taken his share of lazy, dumb penalties, especially in the other team's zone.
If Kalinin can play like he did in Buffalo then I wouldn't miss Yandle. Maybe sign a Sauer-like shutdown D-man over the summer, or even better, provided he's healthy,
sign Beauchemin. We could use his shot and size. And there's always Morris.
Keep Klee; he and Sauer have been our best D-men.
Like everyone else, I'm hoping for a new owner with deep pockets and a new coach with a winning system that gets the most out of his players. At this point I'd sell my soul to Jacques Lemaire if it meant we could make the playoffs. I don't care how many boring 2-1 wins I would have to sit through.

phxroadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Lorenzo1000

Late to the party but here goes-

Reinprecht-YES- he has scoring touch skill and experience
Lisin-YES- this is a maybe- he needs to be more consistent
Winnik-YES- he gave us one great year last year- we can give him 1 more to turn it around
Prucha-YES-not as enthusiastic as everyone else yet but we need scoring
Lindstrom-YES-has a lot of potential and has outplayed a few others
Upshall-YES
McGrattan-NO
Dawes-YES-based on potential salary desrves a shot
Goertzen-YES, for SA and maybe call-ups
Murray-YES, for SA and maybe call-ups
Hoggan-YES, for SA and maybe call-ups
Nikulin-NO- will probably go back to Russia anyways
Yandle-YES- has improved leaps and bounds over last year
Klee-YES- emphatically so-has been as solid as can be-great addition
Kalinin-Yes- if affordable and we don't sign anyone else
Tordjman-YES

Lorenzo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
LetsGoCoyotes

For the Coyotes (SA not considered):

Reinprecht -NO- sick of hearing "Reinprect almost (insert offensive failure here)"
Lisin -MAYBE- cheap 2-way contract or nothing
Winnik -MAYBE- cheap 2-way contract or nothing
Prucha -YES- if he keeps it up...I love his energy and his guts.
Lindstrom -YES- should be cheap, I like his hockey sense.
Upshall -YES- blazing fast and creates chances...has some fire in his belly
McGrattan -
Dawes -MAYBE- I have to see more.
Goertzen -NO-
Murray -NO-
Hoggan -NO-
Nikulin -NO-
Yandle -YES- will be a great offensive defenseman when management takes the (coaching) handcuffs off
Klee -YES- has been very solid for this team. should be cheap.
Kalinin -YES- so far, I like what I see
Tordjman -YES- Who else do we have? Montoya?

LetsGoCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
k1llua

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCoyotes View Post
Tordjman -YES- Who else do we have? Montoya?
...and, starting in goal for your San Antonio Rampage..SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTER TUTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Old
03-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Sindiggy
STH Row 206 Row D

How bad is SA going to be with Montoya and Gistedt in goal?

The remaining games should be fun-filled score fests for anyone playing the Rampage.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

While I'm all for giving Prucha, Dawes and Kalinin a chance, it's worth noting they came from the only team in the NHL that is worse offensively than the Yotes.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:31 PM
texastoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
We have two players who speak fluent Russian and English on the team right now.
The team's director of media relations also speaks Russian. I think he'll be OK.

texastoast is offline   Reply With Quote