HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Should they stay or should they go?

Old
03-22-2009, 02:57 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

vCash: 500
Reinprect- i'd rather make room for someone else, but i wouldn't mind if he came back

Lisin-he has yet to prove that he can consistently be a finisher but i want to give him more time

Winnik-i'd love to see him come back, gotta respect hard workers. would understand if he wasn't brought back, skill needs to be taken into account at some point

Prucha-Yes, the guy doesn't realize how small he is, love his guts and he has the potential to be productive offensively

Lindstrom-no, he is a decent offensive player but with the recent additions i don't see where he fits in. i don't believe that lisin and him will be back, probably one or the other unless he wants to play in san antonio

Upshall-Yes. They have to bring this guy back. He has made a big difference

McGrattan-No. I don't see where he would fit in on this team

Dawes-Yes. I am not sold on him yes. but i'd like to see what he can do over the course of a season.

Goertzen- AHL'er- I'd like to keep him on the farm team. Maybe get an occasional call up if the team is riddled with injuries

Murray-AHL'er-same

Hoggan-AHL'er-same

Nikulin-NO- we don't need a guy that brings issues to the table

Yandle-HELL YES, this guy is really good as a 5th or 6th defenseman who gets playing time on PP

Klee-YES- this guy is a solid veteran. I'd like to see him get a short term contract. He could also be a solid 5th or 6th defenseman

Kalinin-not sure. if the choice is between him and Hale, I would pick him without hesitation. He hasn't looked that bad, I guess its just a question of whether or not we can pick up a first line defenseman or try to go with what we have.

Tordjman-YES. I'd like him to get more playing time to close out the season so he can get some experience and the coaches can see how he handles himself

desired lines

Doan/Turris/Mueller
Upshall/Lombardi/Boedker
Tikohonov/Hanzal/Prucha
Dawes/Winnik/Prust

Jovo/Michalek
Sauer/Free agent
Yandle/Klee

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 01:43 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCoyotes View Post
For the Coyotes (SA not considered):

Reinprecht -NO
Lisin -MAYBE- cheap 2-way contract or nothing
Winnik -YES
Prucha -YES
Lindstrom -MAYBE- cheap 2-way contract or nothing
Upshall -YES
McGrattan -YES
Dawes -NO
Yandle -HELL YES
Klee -YES
Kalinin -NO
Tordjman -YES- Who else do we have?
Lineup: (provided no FAs brought in and we don't draft Tavares)

Lines:
Doan - Turris - Prucha (provided Turris bulks up and Prucha gets the touch back)
Boedker - Lombardi - Mueller (if Boeds can make the switch and Mueller gets his head in the game)
Upshall - Hanzal - Tikhonov (solid 3rd line)
Fedoruk - Winnik - Porter (okay energy line, had to fit Porter in there somewhere)
McGratton (enforcer still valuable in some instances)

Pairings:
Yandle - Michalek (our two best IMO)
Jovo - Ahnelov (gotta get Ahnelov in there, could cover for Jovo nicely)
Sauer - Klee (Klee has been solid, could be a decent shutdown pairing)
Hale (still under contract)

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:15 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
In case you haven't noticed there are 5 extra forwards on the roster. Not to mention a few guys in the minors who are pushing for promotion soon. Therefore pretty much if you are a UFA, you are not going to be signed. The team is clogging up the forward lines with marginal players while young guys sit the bench. I imagine at least 5 or 6 forwards will go. IMO you need these guys in the top six if they are ever going to develop:
Mueller, Hanzal, Boedker, Turris, Lisin, Tikhonov: plus Doan needs to be there. That leaves you with Lombardi, Prucha, and Lindstrom that also need to be on one of those 2 lines to really be effective.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Reinprecht -NO (at first I thought we need more veterens, but not now)
Lisin - YES (way too explosive not to correct defensive issues)
Winnik -YES (4th line grinder)
Prucha -YES (he's on 4th line w/Winnik & Prust)
Lombardi - YES (he's on 2nd line w/Upshall & Boedker)
Lindstrom - YES (healthy scratch alternate #1)
Upshall -YES (he's on 2nd line w/Lombardi & Boedker)
McGrattan -NO (Prust can actually skate)
Dawes -NO (odd man out #1)
Yandle -YES (I'm calling a 50pt break-out year next year)
Klee -YES (Has this guy been solid or what, I'll say it again, out 2nd best defender)
Kalinin -NO (awful, awful, awful, please don't resign)
Tordjman -NO (not a NHL netminder)

Lines:
Doan/Turris/Mueller
Boedker/Lombardi/Upshall (speed line)
Lisin/Hanzal/Tikhonov (Hanzal & Tiki can cover for Lisin's "d" issues)
Prucha/Winnik/Prust

Fridge/Lindstrom

Defense:
Z/Sauer
Jovo/Free Agent
Yandle/Klee

Hale (dump if possible)

Our "D" is still a big question mark. We don't have a legitimate shut down pair. Z/Sauer are at best, at best a lower tier (4/4.5) pretending to be a (1/2). We definitely need a FA signing of at least a #2 "D" man to pair w/Jovo. It's my hope that Jovo regains "old" form aka "Jovocop"...not Jovocough or just Jovo.

Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 04:22 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

If any of Lindstrom, Winnik, or Dawes are willing to accept a two-way contract, I'd sign them. If not, I'd look to trade them, or simply let them walk. Fedoruk and Hale, I'd look at every option possible to be rid of them. Given Prust's two-way status, I suppose I'd hang on to him. If he's no longer waiver exempt, no big deal, as I don't care if we lose him. I want upgrades on Reinprecht, Kalinin, and McGrattan, so they can go. Klee, I'm not so sure about. I suppose I'd make that decision based on just how much more money we'll be able to spend. If our budget is still tiny, I'd definitely re-sign him. If we're given a green light to spend, I'd keep him under consideration as I explored upgrades.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 05:03 PM
YotesFan

I'd like to move quanity for quality to free up some spots on the NHL forward lines.

Lindstrow, Dawes, Winnik, Fedoruk and a pick for Hamhuis or some other good young Dman.

I like Rhino but he is takin a C spot from Turris. But if they want to keep some depth I would look at keeping Rhino, he's been with the team for awhile and has chemistry with Doan. We would roll 4 lines with 4 good C's. I would like to sign a scoring winger in FA but we may not have the budget. Barring any FA signings I could see:

Doan Rhino Mueller
Prucha Lombardi Upshall
Boedker Hanzal Lisin
Prust Turris Tikinov

Hamhuis Jovo
Z Yandle
Sauer Ahelov

Bryz
Montoya,Tjordman,Gisdet

YotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

I'd love to see another coach take the reigns to see what would happen with all our young guys.

We can all see Boedker's skill, and he'll only get better at finishing, it comes with experience, and we all see Lisin's amazing offensive potential, he just has to be more consistent in the "d" end...and thats why I think you have to pair him with Hanzal/Tiki, letting them be the support to get him over the hump.

A Boedker/Lombardi/Upshall line w/that speed i think would cause some teams problems, and Turris has shown he's much better with quality wingers...and I think he could set up Doan/Mueller.

Then you've got Lisin/Hanzal/Tiki, and I think Hanzal would benefit from Lisin's scoring opportunities and Lisin vice-versa with Hanzal's defense. The 4th line of Prust/Winnik/Prucha should be all energy with Prucha getting 1st line duties on powerplay.

Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post
Lindstrow, Dawes, Winnik, Fedoruk and a pick for Hamhuis or some other good young Dman.
HAHA, good luck! Unless, of course, that pick is our 2009 first rounder. I get what you are trying to do but you should really lower your expectations. I'd like to see Fedoruk packaged up with someone who may have just a little value like Lindstrom, Prust, Dawes, or Winnik and dealt, possibly with a late pick, for an enforcer who can actually play a little, and actually enforce a little. Eric Boulton in Atlanta would be nice. He's played around eight to twelve minutes on any given night in Atlanta this season, which is two or three times more than totally worthless goons like McGrattan and his ilk. However, he'll still fight the biggest, baddest enforcers in the league and he still fights with great frequency, unlike Fedoruk.

Then, this off-season, I'd like to somehow dump Hale and add Matt Walker(UFA). Another legit heavy-weight, who can go with anyone, but also play a regular shift. Although, unlike Boulton, he's a defenseman. That way, we can alternate. On nights where we need stronger D, we dress Boulton and Klee. On nights where we need a little more offense, we scratch Boulton for a younger forward, and dress Walker instead of Klee. That way, we've always got someone out there to police, and a little flexibility in how we change the roster to do so.

Last edited by rt: 03-31-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old
04-01-2009, 01:10 PM
YotesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
HAHA, good luck! Unless, of course, that pick is our 2009 first rounder. I get what you are trying to do but you should really lower your expectations. I'd like to see Fedoruk packaged up with someone who may have just a little value like Lindstrom, Prust, Dawes, or Winnik and dealt, possibly with a late pick, for an enforcer who can actually play a little, and actually enforce a little. Eric Boulton in Atlanta would be nice. He's played around eight to twelve minutes on any given night in Atlanta this season, which is two or three times more than totally worthless goons like McGrattan and his ilk. However, he'll still fight the biggest, baddest enforcers in the league and he still fights with great frequency, unlike Fedoruk.

Then, this off-season, I'd like to somehow dump Hale and add Matt Walker(UFA). Another legit heavy-weight, who can go with anyone, but also play a regular shift. Although, unlike Boulton, he's a defenseman. That way, we can alternate. On nights where we need stronger D, we dress Boulton and Klee. On nights where we need a little more offense, we scratch Boulton for a younger forward, and dress Walker instead of Klee. That way, we've always got someone out there to police, and a little flexibility in how we change the roster to do so.
Ya the pick would have to be a good one, I would use the Calgary pick or a 2nd if it could get us Hamhuis or another good young NHL dman.

Old
04-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post
Ya the pick would have to be a good one, I would use the Calgary pick or a 2nd if it could get us Hamhuis or another good young NHL dman.
Why not use Mueller to get a really good dman?

Lindstrom, who most consider a throway, at the very least has equaled Mueller's production over the last 1/2 of the season. What is Mueller's value on the ice compared to Lindstrom, Dawes, Prucha, Upshall, Lombardi, Lisin, Tikhonov? Compare that with the value Mueller has as a trading chip compared to those players. His value as an asset compared to those players is 10 times his comparative value on the ice for the team.

Makes too much sense to trade him?

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:24 PM
YotesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post

Lindstrom, who most consider a throway, at the very least has equaled Mueller's production over the last 1/2 of the season. What is Mueller's value on the ice compared to Lindstrom, Dawes, Prucha, Upshall, Lombardi, Lisin, Tikhonov? Compare that with the value Mueller has as a trading chip compared to those players. His value as an asset compared to those players is 10 times his comparative value on the ice for the team.

I get what your saying but.......Mueller has too much potential right now to become a dynamic top six guy for us compared to the other players mentioned.

My idea is to use quantity for quality. Dawes, Lindstrom, Winnik, high pick for Good Dman. (I would not trade Lombardi, Upshal, Prucha, or Lisin)

This helps us free up spots and stabalize the roster.

Old
04-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post

Unless you get an offer you can't refuse, you don't trade your players like Mueller for at least the first 3-4 years. It's just foolish to do so. I know he's struggled mightily since the concussion but you have to think long term! I always like to use Mike Richards and Jeff Carter as examples. They were less than impressive for their first few years and now they're worth a kings ransom. Patience will be rewarded!

Speaking of which, if it's one thing this club has never had it's patience and we've seen the results. Lets stick to the plan this time!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 05:57 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Reinprecht stays for sure. The Yotes could have traded him at the trade deadline and they'll have the same opportunity next year if need be. He's a real unsung player, very experienced and makes everyone around him better. Apparently he's also a great guy with the young players, something Ollie wasn't. That counts for a lot right now.

Mueller stays for sure. Of all the expendable parts, Lisin and Lindstrom probably have some value but not a great deal. I could see Lisin bringing back a low second or high third. He does have talent. The draft pick could then be packaged with other poicks to move up the pecking order.

Also remember, Prucha won't be qualified (at $1.7MM) so he'll be an UFA. He's going to have to settle for something like 2 years at $1MM.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 06:18 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Reinprecht stays for sure. The Yotes could have traded him at the trade deadline and they'll have the same opportunity next year if need be.
This is only true to the same extent if he signs for a one-year deal. I'm not sure if that's likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Also remember, Prucha won't be qualified (at $1.7MM) so he'll be an UFA. He's going to have to settle for something like 2 years at $1MM.
I forget the exact details (I'm sure mouser or JC will be able to provide them), but there's a loophole that, because of Prucha's diminished minutes under Renney or something, the Coyotes can tender him a lesser offer and retain his rights.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 06:27 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I like Reinprecht on a one year deal, especially because he can play any forward position on any line. I doubt he takes a one-year deal, though. I'm not so sure we'd offer more than that.

Old
04-02-2009, 03:40 PM
YotesFan

I like Rhino alot, 2yr deal would be fine.

Old
04-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Just say no to Rhino.

We have a better Rhino (Lombardi), and we have a younger Rhino (Porter).

Old
04-03-2009, 02:57 PM
CallMeJerry

Coyotes in 09-10

Hi Coyotes fans.

How do you guys see the lines shaping up in 09-10?

I don't get to see much of your team but specifically, I'm wondering where you think Turris fits in.

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 04:59 PM
indczn

Hopefully first line center between Doan and XX, or he will be the same role as this year, 4th line/scratched.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 05:01 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
Hi Coyotes fans.

How do you guys see the lines shaping up in 09-10?

I don't get to see much of your team but specifically, I'm wondering where you think Turris fits in.
depends on who the coach is...

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Future 1st line center, but probably won't quite be that in '09-10.

I imagine he'll fight for 1st line center minutes with Lombardi & Hanzal, although Hanzals minutes will come because he'll be going against the top center on the other team. Based on Hanzals role & the chemistry between Lombardi & Upshall, I don't think the Coyotes will have to be concerned that Turris will be overmatched against the likes of Thornton, Getzlaf, Ribeiro, Kopitar...which is the reason they 'thought' it was so important to get Jokinen last season.

Oddly enough I think the only certainty is that the 3 guys they picked up at the deadline will start the season on a line together Upshall-Lombardi-Prucha

The other 9 spots will consist of some combination of Doan, Turris, Mueller, Hanzal, Boedker, Fedoruk, Tikhonov plus whoever survives out of Rhineprecht, Lisin, Dawes, Winnik, Prust, Lindstrom. Of course they'll probably sign at least 1 free agent forward, they have Porter in the minors who could be ready, and there is always the possibility their first round pick could step in. I'd be surprised if they made a trade for a forward, but I could easily see a few traded for defensive help.

The D will have Michalek, Sauer, Jovo, & Yandle for sure. Hale will be here, but hopefully as a scratch. If anywhere, D is where I see them willing to spend $3 or $4M a year for a quality top 4 dman, and the 6th spot could be filled by Klee, another cheap veteran dman who is waived, or Ahnelov from the minors.

Goalies should be Bryz & one of Montoya/Tjordman.

check back in 3 months to see how incredibly wrong this evaluation is.

Old
04-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Dan

I have not seen as many games as some of you this year, but everytime I focus on Ken Klee he is making solid plays to bail out his partner or get it out of the zone. I know he's old, but what do you guys think about bringing him back?

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 12:51 PM
indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I have not seen as many games as some of you this year, but everytime I focus on Ken Klee he is making solid plays to bail out his partner or get it out of the zone. I know he's old, but what do you guys think about bringing him back?
Hes a +7 iirc. If he can handle playing the same role, I would have no problem bringing him back (assuming he resigns for only what we are paying him).

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 04:09 PM
2yotesfans88

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
i would say 100% yes. hes by far one of the most stable d men on the team. with all the kids on the team he seems to bee a good person to have in the lockerroom. hes been all around and playing all over. I like him wearing the A. but i highly doubt that will happen.

2yotesfans88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Aren't we splitting Klee's contract this year with Anaheim and/or Atlanta? We would have to pay more if we resigned him.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote