Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Sutherby

Old
03-07-2009, 07:05 PM
haf

vCash: 500
Sutherby

This guy has been all around it. I can't help but think he is going to start scoring soon.

I know he has been like this most of his career thus far and teams have been disappointed but his style seems to fit Stars hockey very well and it just seems like he is getting comfortable here and gaining confidence.

I am calling it: Sutherby will score some big goals in the coming month.

How would you grade his performance so far and do you think we should resign him/what price?

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 07:20 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Sutherby will probably sign for close to what he is making this season if the Stars want him back.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
I've liked the guy as well. He has some good speed and was working very well with Richards before his injury, yet he has continued to be a hard forechecker that has caused other teams to make mistakes and turnover the puck. I wouldn't mind paying him somewhere between 900k-1.3M per year for a couple of years (obviously the less the better).

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this to start next season if Modano retired.

Morrow-Ribeiro-Lehtinen
Neal-Richards-Eriksson
Ott-Sutherby-Brunnstrom
Barch-Petersen-Sawada

If Lehtinen retired I could see Ott moving up to the Wing on the 2nd line, with Sawada jumping on a line with Brunnstrom and Sutherby.

Dominic Roussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Goibniu
HFBoards Sponsor

I do agree we should re-sign Sutherby, but I would try to keep him under a million.

It is that time of year where we should start looking at re-signing some of our free agents to be.
Who else should we look at re-signing now?

Obviously, we should re-sign Zubov and Lehts, preferably on the cheap due to injury time. That leaves Morrison, Sydor, Begin, Lundqvist, Wilson, and Parrish.

It is too early to tell on Morrison and Begin. I might consider re-signing Sydor for his intangibles, but for minimal money as a 7th d-man. Lundqvist I would offer an extention at the same money, but let go to free agency if he wanted. Wilson and Parrish I would offer 2-way contracts. They are decent filler who might help out in Austin next year if they do not make the team out of camp.

What does everyone else think?

Goibniu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 08:58 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goibniu View Post
I do agree we should re-sign Sutherby, but I would try to keep him under a million.

It is that time of year where we should start looking at re-signing some of our free agents to be.
Who else should we look at re-signing now?

Obviously, we should re-sign Zubov and Lehts, preferably on the cheap due to injury time. That leaves Morrison, Sydor, Begin, Lundqvist, Wilson, and Parrish.

It is too early to tell on Morrison and Begin. I might consider re-signing Sydor for his intangibles, but for minimal money as a 7th d-man. Lundqvist I would offer an extention at the same money, but let go to free agency if he wanted. Wilson and Parrish I would offer 2-way contracts. They are decent filler who might help out in Austin next year if they do not make the team out of camp.

What does everyone else think?
would try to sign Wilson, Lehts and Zubov (at much cheaper rates), and Sutherby. The rest can go.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 12:19 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
re-sign him, he has been good for his role.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
would try to sign Wilson, Lehts and Zubov (at much cheaper rates), and Sutherby. The rest can go.
See above. This is correct.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 01:58 AM
haf

I hedge on re-signing Zubov. I know I know he's Zubov. But he is coming off a major injury at an age that makes it hard to heal.

My other problem with re-signing Zubov is who goes. If we sign a number one defenseman type (bouwmeester) then we have

Bouwmeester/Niskanen
Daley/Robidas
Fistric/Grossman

I think I would almost rather keep that group rather than taking back Zubov. I think there is a good chance he retires anyway, and there is nobody I want to give up.

On Sutherby I think he is worth 1 mil for sure. His forecheck alone makes him worth it. Things just seem to happen when he is on the ice. He definitely stirs things up.

Old
03-08-2009, 03:21 AM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
I just don't see us landing Bouwmeester. I say if we can land a solid defenseman like him, then let Zubov go. If not, re-sign. They should throw a carton of Camels to him to keep him around until we can decide.

Dominic Roussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 04:25 PM
haf

man I would spring for some Galloise if I thought it would help him heal.

Old
03-09-2009, 12:17 AM
aevans0001

llok for a top two defenseman, Try to resign zubov anyway. Even if he lands back on IR he doesn't count against cap. You could send pretty much any of our defenseman back down. Let Sydor go, Morrison so far let him go. I kinda like Begin so far, but he needs to pick it up. and if Brunnstrum doesn't learn how to play NA hockey, Defensively or offensively, you can send him down or trade him. Hes been iunjured what 3 times and whenever he plays he shoots it onto the oppossing players stick. This has been a failed experiment thus far. Sounds like Tippet is sitting him due to the fact that he isn't praticing right either....Resign Sutherby, everyone else can go.

aevans0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevans0001 View Post
llok for a top two defenseman, Try to resign zubov anyway. Even if he lands back on IR he doesn't count against cap. You could send pretty much any of our defenseman back down. Let Sydor go, Morrison so far let him go. I kinda like Begin so far, but he needs to pick it up. and if Brunnstrum doesn't learn how to play NA hockey, Defensively or offensively, you can send him down or trade him. Hes been iunjured what 3 times and whenever he plays he shoots it onto the oppossing players stick. This has been a failed experiment thus far. Sounds like Tippet is sitting him due to the fact that he isn't praticing right either....Resign Sutherby, everyone else can go.
Brunnstrom is doing pretty well considering his ice time and his injuries. He will be fine it will just take him some time to get adjusted.

So you are saying to keep Sutherby and Begin but everyone else can go? Morrow, Richards. Ott, Ribeiro.....etc.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:16 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
I disagree on the Brunnstrom front. He has played well given his circumstances. Remember he is just a rookie. Knee Seeking Scud I believe he means just free agents.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:37 AM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShizzle View Post
I just don't see us landing Bouwmeester. I say if we can land a solid defenseman like him, then let Zubov go. If not, re-sign. They should throw a carton of Camels to him to keep him around until we can decide.
I agree about Bouwmeester.

Obviously try to resign the key guys in Lehts, Zubov.

I would like Sutherby, Wilson to resign.

I think they will resign Sydor, or if they could convince him to coach I would be a big fan of that too. A few games decent play is not enough to reverse my opinion on him.

As far as Parrish goes if they could sign him to a similar contract as what he is at this year and make it 2 way I would be ok with this. After this year and all the injuries it would be nice to have some decent deep depth guys.

Not enough time to make up my mind about Morrison or Begin.

Lundqvist if he will sign cheap fine, again as has been illustrated this year it is important to have depth guys, he will never be a big contributor on offense, so take it or leave it on him. This year might make me a little paranoid...can you have too many of these depth guys?

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Sydor needs to be in the pressbox or gone. He cannot be in uniform again.

Lundqvist needs to go too. He's struggled and I imagine he'll want a fresh start somewhere else.

Wilson can come back. He's not making much so I have no problem.

Begin I'm indifferent to so far. We'll see how the final 17 go before I can make up my mind. Same with Morrison but I would guess they'd pass on him. He's going to want more money than he's worth.

Lehtinen, will just depend on how he feels and his latest injury. Something will get worked out if both parties want it to. Same with Zubov, though I imagine he'll be signed later rather than sooner to see how he is physically.

Brunnstrom has been playing better but between Tippet's stupidity and his injuries it's really hard to judge him. Without all the bonus' carried on the salary cap he's a good deal at a decent price. There's no reason to move him and they probably want to keep Benn in Austin for at least half a year. Don't give up on the rookie just yet. Most people didn't see much in Eriksson his first year and a half in the NHL. That's not to say Bruno will turn into a 40 goal guy but he's got far more offensive talent than Eriksson.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Dallasman

After hearing what we tried to do last offseason when it came to free agency, don't be surprised in Bouwmeester is signed by us. I'm not saying it's a sure thing but I have a feeling we have a good shot at bringing him here.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 07:28 PM
beardedgraf

Sorry, this is off topic, but does anyone happen to know what the Stars were prepared to offer Wade Redden last summer?

I am glad that the Stars resigned Sutherby

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
I'm pretty sure it was around 4.3-6 with the same number of years, soo a semi-reasonable contract and instead NY offered him the BS they did.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote