HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs vs. Oilers | MAR. 7 | 7.00 PM ET | HNIC

Old
03-07-2009, 09:15 AM
russmatuss

vCash: 500
Leafs vs. Oilers | MAR. 7 | 7.00 PM ET | HNIC

Toronto vs. Edmonton on HNIC.

At the ACC:

Line Ups

Toronto Maple Leafs

Ponikarovsky - Stajan - Devereaux
Stempniak - Grabovski - Kulemin
Blake - Mitchell - Mayers
Ondrus - Hamilton - May

Schenn - Finger
Kubina - Frogren
Van Ryn - White

Edmonton Oilers

Kotalik - Horcoff - Hemsky
O'Sullivan - Gagner - Pouliot
Penner - Cogliano - Pisani
Jacques - Brodziak - Stortini

Grebeshkov - Gilbert
Souray - Staios
Strudwick - Smid

...per TSN Ice Chips.

Goalies

MARTIN GERBER

1GP, .974SV%, 1.00GAA

DWAYNE ROLOSON

47GP, .914SV% 2.79GAA

NHL.com Preview
If the Edmonton Oilers aren't careful, they could quickly fall out of the playoff picture in the Western Conference. The Toronto Maple Leafs are doing their best to climb into contention in the East.

Edmonton looks to avoid losing five in a row on the road for the first time in nearly two years Saturday night when it meets a Toronto team playing some of its best hockey of the season.

The Oilers (31-27-6) are among a handful of teams vying for the last few playoff spots in the West, but they are struggling of late.

Edmonton has dropped the first two on its four-game road trip and is on the verge of losing five straight away from home for the first time since a nine-game skid from Feb. 25-April 5, 2007.

The Oilers fell to 2-4-2 in their last eight overall Thursday night, losing 4-2 to Ottawa. Edmonton allowed a goal 12 seconds into the game and was down 3-0 just 6:06 into the second period.

"It was a very puzzling and disappointing game - it's the time for introspection for them," coach Craig MacTavish said. "You have the expectation of a certain amount of intensity when you play a game like this, in the situation that we're in, and we go out and we mangle it."

Sam Gagner scored twice for Edmonton, which has allowed 10 goals in the first two games of the trip.

"When you have a certain percentage of your defensemen that play the way they did tonight, you can't win at this level," MacTavish said after Thursday's game. "You've got to have reliability first and playmaking ability second, and we fell short on both of those areas on a high percentage of our back end."

Edmonton will be looking to get back on track against a Toronto club that has earned at least one point in a season-high eight straight games (5-0-3). The Maple Leafs (26-26-13) won 2-1 at Southeast Division-leading Washington on Thursday night behind new acquisition Martin Gerber.

The 34-year-old Gerber made 37 saves in his Maple Leafs debut after being picked up Wednesday off re-entry waivers from the Senators. Toronto acquired him on the same day Vesa Toskala, 7-0-4 since the All-Star break, announced he would need season-ending hip surgery.

"I was a little nervous and emotional to come back and play a game here tonight," Gerber said. "I tried to keep it simple. The guys did a great job to bounce bodies away from the net and let me see the puck.

"It's just fun to be back on the ice and actually win a game. You're so pumped to be back and get another shot."

Toronto is in 11th place in the East, nine points behind the final playoff spot.

"Our guys have been competing really hard and feel good about themselves," coach Ron Wilson said. "We'll just keep on going and see what we can do."

The Maple Leafs have won three straight and five of six against the Oilers, including 5-2 in Edmonton on Nov. 13. This will be the teams' first meeting in Toronto since a 4-3 Leafs win Feb. 17, 2007.

Last Time Out

Toronto 5 - 2 Edmonton

Last edited by russmatuss: 03-07-2009 at 03:21 PM.
russmatuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 09:41 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
As a Sens fan I can't really root for the Leafs, but I am rooting for Martin Gerber, he is a good guy and deserves good things.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:25 AM
FBA

Oh come on. We all know that sens fans are just self-hating leaf fans deep down inside. Come out of the closet already.

jk.

We didn't lose to the devils or the Ovechkin-less caps. I can't see the bubble bursting vs the Oilers.

FBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBA View Post
Oh come on. We all know that sens fans are just self-hating leaf fans deep down inside. Come out of the closet already.

jk.

We didn't lose to the devils or the Ovechkin-less caps. I can't see the bubble bursting vs the Oilers.
Have you been following the Leafs the past few years?? We will beat a team like Detroit then get killed by St. Louis. IMO we are much worse against non-playoff teams for some insane reason.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Jordan

Back to reality tonight? Sooner or later, that lineup has to start achieving to its talent level.....right?

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Nice GDT!

I'm expecting the honeymoon to end tonight. Edmonton didn't play well in their last game, they should be coming out hard in this one.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Saw Jiris Tlusty

Hemsky and O'Sully combine for 5 goals.

Saw Jiris Tlusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Back to reality tonight? Sooner or later, that lineup has to start achieving to its talent level.....right?
You think Gerber's going to stop 35-40 shots the rest of the way?

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:13 AM
GMofOilers

Good luck guys. We are struggling right now. Just thought I would give you some lineup updates from us.

Kotalik Gagner Hemsky
Pouliot Horcoff O'Sullivan
Penner Cogliano Pisani
4 th yet to be determined will look something like this
Reddox Brodziak Stortini

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:14 AM
bobermay

Dont worry guys, we're just in a winning slump. We'll snap out of it sooner or later.

My prediction: After two more games, Gerber will start to crack, and we will have a record of 5-11-1 in the last 17 games. Probably good enough to crack the bottom six.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Arian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntrmn View Post
Dont worry guys, we're just in a winning slump. We'll snap out of it sooner or later.

My prediction: After two more games, Gerber will start to crack, and we will have a record of 5-11-1 in the last 17 games. Probably good enough to crack the bottom six.
Lets hope so. The opposite has happened before.. his name was J.S. Aubin. I believe he went something like 11-0-2 and we missed the playoffs by two points.

Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:58 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

At this point I am kinda split. A couple weeks ago we were doing great in terms of tanking...heading towards a 5th overall pick. Then we starting winning games and I'm like damn it Kubina why do you wait till now to play great. Then we win more games and I'm like f this poo. Then we just keep on getting points and now I honestly don't know what to think anymore. I obviously still want a good draft pick but I also want to make the playoffs. With the way we're playing they are giving me false hope...almost no chance we can make it unless all the stars allign and a unicorn shows up. So basically I don't think we are getting a top-7 pick and we are not making the playoffs. sigh. I guess I'll cheer for them to win...and hope that the unicorn shows up.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:33 PM
FBA

Yeah. I believe they call it the bandwagon.

Tanking is in effect, a slippery slope towards Ballardism and things like preferring a tank to finishing 8th and an early play-off exit for example.

To avoid moral confusion, one should stick to winning games. All of them.

FBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 12:34 PM
AquaticBirdman

Pens fan here.

Although I've been the furthest thing from a Leafs admirer for as long as I've been watching hockey, I must say that I admire and respect them for what they've managed to do during this final stretch.

To be able to collect at least 1 point from their past 9 games with a team that is very much in the "rebuilding" stage is definitely something admirable, and I respect very much what Wilson has managed to do with this team even in spite of the talent depleted roster.

Most teams in the LEafs situation would've given up entirely a few weeks ago, but it's nice to see that they haven't given up complete post-season hope and the players are still going out there and giving 150% effort every night.

Best of luck to you tonight against the Oilers!

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:03 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66 View Post
Pens fan here.

Although I've been the furthest thing from a Leafs admirer for as long as I've been watching hockey, I must say that I admire and respect them for what they've managed to do during this final stretch.

To be able to collect at least 1 point from their past 9 games with a team that is very much in the "rebuilding" stage is definitely something admirable, and I respect very much what Wilson has managed to do with this team even in spite of the talent depleted roster.

Most teams in the LEafs situation would've given up entirely a few weeks ago, but it's nice to see that they haven't given up complete post-season hope and the players are still going out there and giving 150% effort every night.

Best of luck to you tonight against the Oilers!
Thanks I like hearing that from other fans. Good luck the rest of the way, you guys can't afford losses right now.

Part of me wishes we could have done what you guys did, though, and just have a few horrible seasons and do it quick. We didn't tear our team apart enough, though

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:11 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Thanks I like hearing that from other fans. Good luck the rest of the way, you guys can't afford losses right now.

Part of me wishes we could have done what you guys did, though, and just have a few horrible seasons and do it quick. We didn't tear our team apart enough, though
We did what we did was due to financial restrictions during the pre-cap era. Had the Pens not been on the verge of bankruptcy/relocation for all those years, then there's no way in hell that we would've ever been in the kind of position we were to draft guys like Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, and Staal. We would've had the funds to hold onto the veterans that we were losing during those years, and we likely would've stayed competetive enough to make the post-season on a yearly basis, but not really contend for a cup. In a way our financial failure almost turned out to be our biggest blessing.

The Leafs on the other hand didn't have to go through the same kind of financial turmoil. if anything, your current misfortunes are due mainly to some bad management by both Quinn and Ferguson Jr. during their GM tenures. Quinn built the Leafs into a solid contender on a yearly basis, but he usually did it by dealing prospects and draft picks in order to acquire the aging, high priced vets. Ferguson Jr. as far as I'm concerned was just a moron, and was almost like the Rejean Houle of the Leafs in my opinion.

In any case, with a competent GM like Burke, and a great coach like Wilson there is nowhere left to look but up now for you guys. As long as the Leafs play their cards right with their draft picks, and place more emphasis on developing their young talent, then only good things can come.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:34 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66 View Post
We did what we did was due to financial restrictions during the pre-cap era. Had the Pens not been on the verge of bankruptcy/relocation for all those years, then there's no way in hell that we would've ever been in the kind of position we were to draft guys like Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, and Staal. We would've had the funds to hold onto the veterans that we were losing during those years, and we likely would've stayed competetive enough to make the post-season on a yearly basis, but not really contend for a cup. In a way our financial failure almost turned out to be our biggest blessing.

The Leafs on the other hand didn't have to go through the same kind of financial turmoil. if anything, your current misfortunes are due mainly to some bad management by both Quinn and Ferguson Jr. during their GM tenures. Quinn built the Leafs into a solid contender on a yearly basis, but he usually did it by dealing prospects and draft picks in order to acquire the aging, high priced vets. Ferguson Jr. as far as I'm concerned was just a moron, and was almost like the Rejean Houle of the Leafs in my opinion.

In any case, with a competent GM like Burke, and a great coach like Wilson there is nowhere left to look but up now for you guys. As long as the Leafs play their cards right with their draft picks, and place more emphasis on developing their young talent, then only good things can come.

Ya I'm glad to have Burke aboard after what JFJ did to us. The Nolan trade was just ridiculous and a 1st, 2nd and 4th for a fighter and a backup goalie (who was supposed to be our number 1 but never really was a number 1).

Ya, didn't Mario come back to try and save the franchise and get people going to games? I remember they talked about relocation and stuff. Although, you guys may be in rough shape soon along with Ottawa unless you trade either Malkin or Crosby. You need Fleury but one of the 2 big superstars have to go if the cap drops dramatically like it's supposed to. Those 3 guys will take ALOT out of your cap and therefor, you won't have any depth at all.

For the time being though you guys must be enjoying it after being so dreadful financially and talent-wise not even that long ago.

Old
03-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Im going to be watching this game like I watch a car accident; unable to take my eyes away, even though Im witnessing a disaster.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:40 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
Im going to be watching this game like I watch a car accident; unable to take my eyes away, even though Im witnessing a disaster.

Old
03-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Ya I'm glad to have Burke aboard after what JFJ did to us. The Nolan trade was just ridiculous and a 1st, 2nd and 4th for a fighter and a backup goalie (who was supposed to be our number 1 but never really was a number 1).
The Nolan trade was Pat Quinn, JFJ did the Leetch trade but that one was a wash when you look at what everything amounted to.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:47 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
The Nolan trade was Pat Quinn, JFJ did the Leetch trade but that one was a wash when you look at what everything amounted to.
Oh right.. he did the Leetch and Vesa/Bell trade, though. As much as I like Vesa I wouldn't trade a 1st, 2nd and 4th for someone who has always been a backup and the other guy is on his way to jail.

Burke isn't so anxious to pull the trigger on trades like these guys were.

Old
03-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
I know everyone seems to be infatuated with the Brian Leetch trade, but I had a hard time trying to understand why he thought this team needed another offensive defensemen at the ass-end of his career. At least when Quinn pulled the trigger on Nolan, the Leafs desperately needed a power forward who could score goals.

And speaking of NOlan, apparently he's gay? I had no idea until the Leafs played Minnesota about a month or so ago?

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Jerkini

Quote:

Burke isn't so anxious to pull the trigger on trades like these guys were.
Could that have something to do with the fact that the expectations are in the completely opposite spectrum? I would think so.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
And speaking of NOlan, apparently he's gay? I had no idea until the Leafs played Minnesota about a month or so ago?
Bad news for his wife and children.

Quote:
Nolan is married to Diana, has a daughter named Jordan and son named Dylan, and makes his off-season home in San Jose, CA. They were on the ice for the pre-game ceremony, along with Nolan's mother and father.
http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=340797

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 02:30 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
his wife is a guy and his kidz are adopted

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote