HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak Unhappy?

Old
03-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Price was picked 5th overall,gainey traded Huet to give the nod to Price,you really think they will start giving most of the games to Halak? Ain't gonna happen even if Halak is playing better

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:28 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Pricer made 30 saves last night...He was one of the reasons they won!
huh, they have ONE scorer (Eriksson)... Denis could have made thoses saves...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:32 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
huh, they have ONE scorer (Eriksson)... Denis could have made thoses saves...
That's the biggest knock there is on Price when he is on his game. He makes it look so easy that many simply assume that the saves were in fact easy.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:34 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
That's the biggest knock there is on Price when he is on his game. He makes it look so easy that many simply assume that the saves were in fact easy.
not a knock on the kid, but a REALITY... it's not like we faced a good team yesterday...

no Morrow, no Richards, no Zubov...

Old
03-09-2009, 09:42 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
HAHAHA! Wow, ok, you just took insane anti-Carbo bias to a new low.

How exactly is NOT RUSHING a goalie back from injury exactly like the time he DID RUSH a goalie back from injury?

Seriously.
Oh, sort of like the way he DID rush huet back when Halak had been playing well and cost us the playoffs a few seasons back?

Give me a break dude, the person you quoted is 100% right.

You think anti-Carb bias is brought to a new low by him? You just brought pro-Carb bias to an all new high, grats.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:45 AM
jnthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Oh, sort of like the way he DID rush huet back when Halak had been playing well and cost us the playoffs a few seasons back?

You think anti-Carb bias is brought to a new low by him? You just brought pro-Carb bias to an all new high, grats.
I'm getting tired of hearing how Carbo played Huet on the last game and how Halak had been playing really well. The game before Jaro had dropped the ball. Many thought that Halak was tired from his run, while Huet had played an amazing third period when Halak had been pulled. That's why Carbo went with Huet in the last game. Was it the right choice, probably not, but things weren't as clear cut as most people make it out to be.

Old
03-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Ishmael

I was more upset at not sticking with Halak against Philly last year, after he played a good solid game. That was a mistake for many reasons, IMO.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:49 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
HAHAHA! Wow, ok, you just took insane anti-Carbo bias to a new low.

How exactly is NOT RUSHING a goalie back from injury exactly like the time he DID RUSH a goalie back from injury?

Seriously.
And BTW, he was referring to the fact that he's rushing Price back even though we have a goalie whose been stellar and wants to play. Price played awful in his last few starts, against Dallas he was good but come on. The guy plays OK in a loss against Atlanta and good against Dallas and now all of the sudden that equates to Halak not being played? The guy lost 2/3 games he's played. I don't care if he played "well" against Atlanta, we still lost. Halak should've been given the start against Dallas imo. Price did very well against Dallas don't get me wrong, but Halak is basically being punished because Price has been epic fail and they're trying to get his confidence back up.

The poster you quoted makes perfect sense, Carbo makes ******** decisions regarding our goaltenders. He puts an injured Huet in over Halak when Halak was playing well, he puts a cold price in over a hot streak Halak. I think Halak is being treated unfairly here. What more can the guy do to prove he is a solid goalie? What more can he honestly do? He has proven himself and deserves the chance to continue to do so plain and simple. Price blew it recently and gave Halak a chance to shine, Halak did shine. Just because Halak was sick a few days doesn't give Carb the right to just brush him off all the while Price loses more then half the games he starts in during the period Halak was sick for. Give me a break.

Classic Carbonneau fanboyism, Carbonneau can do no wrong even though the Goalie we put in for those games took one embarrassing loss and then another loss. OK so he played well, but it doesn't erase the past and the fact that Halak is also playing very well and deserved a start. I understand they want to get Price's confidence back but Price isn't a little kid anymore, he's a grown up. Price needs to work on his own confidence and not blow games. Granted the team didn't play very well offensively in our last couple games, but it doesn't help when your goalie lets in goals that could've been stopped.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Price was picked 5th overall,gainey traded Huet to give the nod to Price,you really think they will start giving most of the games to Halak? Ain't gonna happen even if Halak is playing better
This.

If both goalies perform well, Price will get the nod most times.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:00 AM
jnthomas

Quote:
And BTW, he was referring to the fact that he's rushing Price back even though we have a goalie whose been stellar and wants to play. Price played awful in his last few starts, against Dallas he was good but come on. The guy plays OK in a loss against Atlanta and good against Dallas and now all of the sudden that equates to Halak not being played? The guy lost 2/3 games he's played. I don't care if he played "well" against Atlanta, we still lost. Halak should've been given the start against Dallas imo. Price did very well against Dallas don't get me wrong, but Halak is basically being punished because Price has been epic fail and they're trying to get his confidence back up.

The poster you quoted makes perfect sense, Carbo makes ******** decisions regarding our goaltenders. He puts an injured Huet in over Halak when Halak was playing well, he puts a cold price in over a hot streak Halak. I think Halak is being treated unfairly here. What more can the guy do to prove he is a solid goalie? What more can he honestly do? He has proven himself and deserves the chance to continue to do so plain and simple. Price blew it recently and gave Halak a chance to shine, Halak did shine. Just because Halak was sick a few days doesn't give Carb the right to just brush him off all the while Price loses more then half the games he starts in during the period Halak was sick for. Give me a break.

Classic Carbonneau fanboyism, Carbonneau can do no wrong even though the Goalie we put in for those games took one embarrassing loss and then another loss. OK so he played well, but it doesn't erase the past and the fact that Halak is also playing very well and deserved a start. I understand they want to get Price's confidence back but Price isn't a little kid anymore, he's a grown up. Price needs to work on his own confidence and not blow games. Granted the team didn't play very well offensively in our last couple games, but it doesn't help when your goalie lets in goals that could've been stopped.
BTW you do know Halak was still sick. At the practice he was getting tired really fast and when Carbo asked him if he was 100%, Halak hesitated. Carbo could not dress Halak even if he had wanted to.

Here is a link if you don't believe me http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...-la-grippe.php

Old
03-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Newhabfan

Price is a medium to long term project. He is supposed to become the franchise goalie of the team. This is not supposed to happen at 21.. The Habs will not give up on him till he is, say, 24-25 and he will still fail to deliver.

Halak is a short to medium term project as backup for Price. Just like Huet was.

One thing I come to like about Gainey is that he always thinks long term - he never act based on the pressure of recent performances. He sticks with general principles instead of changing his mind under the media/fan pressure. This is why we have Pacioretty now instead of Esposito. Why Kovalev is now playing in Montreal (decently I would say) instead of a Western team.

So - like it or not, Price will get more starts. If you look at Halak - he played 28 games this year - compared to 41 for Carey. That is a lot for nr.2 (he was informed he will be nr.2 at the start of the season) - Halak has little to be unhappy of. The club has been honest and consistent with him. A stretch of great performances do not influence the overall policy of the club, just like the stretch of bad performances he had earlier in the season did not.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:16 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Price is a medium to long term project. He is supposed to become the franchise goalie of the team. This is not supposed to happen at 21.. The Habs will not give up on him till he is, say, 24-25 and he will still fail to deliver.

Halak is a short to medium term project as backup for Price. Just like Huet was.

One thing I come to like about Gainey is that he always thinks long term - he never act based on the pressure of recent performances. He sticks with general principles instead of changing his mind under the media/fan pressure. This is why we have Pacioretty now instead of Esposito. Why Kovalev is now playing in Montreal (decently I would say) instead of a Western team.

So - like it or not, Price will get more starts. If you look at Halak - he played 28 games this year - compared to 41 for Carey. That is a lot for nr.2 (he was informed he will be nr.2 at the start of the season) - Halak has little to be unhappy of. The club has been honest and consistent with him. A stretch of great performances do not influence the overall policy of the club, just like the stretch of bad performances he had earlier in the season did not.
How about still not having the management trust even after stealing 4 games in a row, after being the only reason for the wins you got...

Old
03-09-2009, 10:20 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post

Actually, we don't have Esposito because we took Ryan McDonaugh (not Pacioretty). We picked up Pacioretty a couple of picks after the Pens drafted Esposito.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:21 AM
lxzred

I made a comment to my freind last week saying that it seams like Halak only really shines when he has the chance to carry the team, but when he knows that no matter how well he plays he's not getting the #1 like earlier this season, he doesn't really play well.
Anyone else notice this?

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:43 AM
BeerHell

could we say Halak = Garon ?

I mean the guy is stuck behind what the direction acknowledges as our future in the goals
shows glimpses of greatness...everybody feels for him thinking he should be given the
opportunity to shine elsewhere.

maybe it will be different for Halak but we all know how Garon story is going to end.

BeerHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:46 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...%3Fid%3D912139

So who starts against Dallas? Price was apparently quite good last night but the team was actually winning with Halak.
Wow ! A seven page 170 post thread based on Pat Hickeys' unerring ability to interpret Halaks' body language . Has anybody actually "HEARD" Halak or anybody else connected to the team say anything negative regarding the goaltending situation ? Or should i just resign myself to being another chick in the nest ready to swallow whole , anything the media deems fit to shove down my throat ?

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:02 AM
shealy04

Price was cool as a cucumber last night. Even when Halak is playing well, he doesn't make it look easy and often suffers with his rebound control.

Basically, at the start of the year, the team decided that Price was their guy that could take them the farthest into the playoffs and are still treating it as such.

It's hard to argue with Gainey and Carbo's reasoning as Price has been back to his old stellar self the last two games.

And the people who say "Dallas lost because their shooting accuracy was off last night" are the same people who would be saying "We got outshot 31-17 and Halak absolutely STOLE this game for us."

Price is still the #1 goalie on the Habs and the people who have fallen off of his bandwagon need to get over it... or just go cheer for another team. I sort of enjoy the latter idea.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:32 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
I was more upset at not sticking with Halak against Philly last year, after he played a good solid game. That was a mistake for many reasons, IMO.
Do you mean the game he lost and posted an .880 save percentage? Yeah, how could Carbo not have gone back to him?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Habblues

Price played an EXCELLENT game last night.Fist time in a long time.If Halak was 100% then he should have played last night because Price was still shaky in Atlanta.Guy said he would go with the hot hand which has been HALAK !! Once again if not for Halak we would be in 12 spot right now.....WAKE UP PEOPLE !!!!

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Do you mean the game he lost and posted an .880 save percentage? Yeah, how could Carbo not have gone back to him?

Yeah, the game he played really well when Price was clearly playing worse.

Quote:
Canadiens head coach Guy Carbonneau opted to start Halak over Price, who struggled in the first three games following a sparkling effort in the opening round of the playoffs.

"You have to give him credit, he was good," Carbonneau said of Halak. "Obviously not good enough, but he is in a tough situation."

<snip>

But [Price] has played poorly in the conference semifinal, permitting 10 goals on 68 shots for a .853 save percentage in three starts compared to .920 in 41 games during the regular season.

<snip>

Halak performed well, but he failed to steal a much-needed win for Montreal.
Source

You can stop shaking your head now, even though I'm clearly insane.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Lucius

Quote:

Maybe I am not typing clearly.

Two season ago, Halak was playing well. Huet was brought back from injury and we lost.

This season, Halak was injured and out of the lineup. So he stuck with the healthy goalie, rather than turn to the other one too soon.

If you can explain to me how doing the exact opposite of what he did last time is exactly the same, I'd love to know.

Quote:

I think the only reason you cannot see that the opposite is in fact the opposite is pure pro-Halak fanboyism. Two season ago, he learned the dangers of rushing a goalie back. FYI, Huet was playing well prior to his injury too.

Halak was clearly sick during practice, despite the completely made up conspiracy theories on this forum. He thus sat out one more game. In that game, your number one goalie stands on his head after weeks of playing poorly. Given the issue is quite clearly not one of ability, but one between his ears, what do you do to Price's confidence if you just sit him again after a stellar game?

Price played Atlanta because he had to.

Price played Dallas because he was spectacular in Atlanta.

Price will play the next game, no doubt, because he was amazing in Dallas.

Sucks for Halak, but that's why god invented BACKUP GOALIES. To play well when the starter isn't.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Puckhead58*

Poor Halak is gonna get the shaft again!!!! He played his heart out and got the team out of their slump, got 4 wins in a row making between 35-45 saves in each of the games and now he gets to sit on the bench while Jesus Price gets the #1 job handed back to him yet again.

I will say that Price seems to be playing better in his last 2 games than he has in the 10 games before that, but I think its a shame that the man responsible for turning things around for the Habs has to sit on the bench again when he was playing sensational.

I just hope Carbo recognizes that Halak helped keep this team in the playoff hunt and rewards him with as many games as possible down the stretch.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:02 PM
habdynasty

Poor pro athletes what a tough life

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 04:44 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
then, that's stupid. I've never seen a team taking decisions like that... Halak played better than Price recently. He should play. I wouldn't be surprised to know Carbo was forced to play Price in the last games... like Réjean Tremblay said, was Halak really sick ?

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
then, that's stupid. I've never seen a team taking decisions like that... Halak played better than Price recently. He should play. I wouldn't be surprised to know Carbo was forced to play Price in the last games... like Réjean Tremblay said, was Halak really sick ?
Rejean Tremblay just went out of his way to once again prove what a terrible hack he has become.

Nothing says responsible journalism like going against what the GM, coach and player himself said with absolutely no evidence to the contrary... The only reason he got away with it was because he put a freaking question mark at the end.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote