HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Hurricanes vs Lightning (03.13.04)

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Plan 9

vCash: 500
Hurricanes vs Lightning (03.13.04)

Game Night

Carolina Hurricanes

vs

Tampa Bay Lightning

------------------------------------------------------------

Place: St. Pete Times Forum
Time: 7:38 PM

Team Records:

Carolina: 23-30-13-4, 63 points
127 goals for, 166 goals against

Tampa Bay: 41-17-8-5, 95 points
214 goals for, 161 goals against

Special Teams:

Carolina:
Powerplay: 11.4% (37/324) - 30th place
Penalty Kill: 82.1% (256/312) - 22nd place

Tampa Bay:
Powerplay: 17.1% (51/298) - 10th place
Penalty Kill: 84.3% (204/242) - 14th place

Team Leaders:

Carolina:
Goals: Josef Vasicek, Erik Cole (16)
Assists: Justin Williams (24)
Plus/Minus: Glen Wesley (+14)
Penalty Minutes: Jesse Boulerice (118)
Shots on goal: Jeff O'Neill (207)
Average ice time: Sean Hill (24:53)
Wins: Kevin Weekes (21)
Save Percentage: Kevin Weekes (91.4%)
Goals Against Average: Kevin Weekes (2.25)

Tampa Bay:
Goals: Martin St. Louis (34)
Assists: Martin St. Louis (50)
Plus/Minus: Martin St. Louis (+33)
Penalty Minutes: Chris Dingman (136)
Shots on goal: Brad Richards (223)
Average ice time: Dan Boyle (22:41)
Wins: Nikolai Khabibulin (25)
Save Percentage: John Grahame (9187%)
Goals Against Average: John Grahame (1.86)

Probable Goaltenders

Carolina Hurricanes

Kevin Weekes
20 - 25 - 10, 2.26 GAA, 91.3 SV%

vs

Tampa Bay Lightning

John Grahame
16 - 7 - 1, 1.86 GAA, 91.8 SV%

Old
03-13-2004, 12:43 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
I'll be here And I'll be switching between the Canadiens/Leafs HNIC game.

Dude, if we don't get a 40 point man it will be as bad as Satan leading the the Sabres with 40+ (46?) and Ysebaert leading the 'Ning (42?) in the mid-to-late 90s. This team has been inept scoring wise. The way I look at it, this is what we need to address in the offseason:

- another natural goal scorer besides O'Neill. Waiting on Vrbata is like waiting for Guffman (movie reference, folks)
- a decision needs to be made on whether to throw Richmond (or Fast) to the wolves next season no matter what he does in camp. We need some young puck moving d-men out there. Btw, has Fast development been slower than expected? Some scouts said he could be better than his college teammate, Jillson.

Last edited by HughJass*: 03-13-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old
03-13-2004, 06:30 PM
HughJass*

Francis picks up his first assist on a pass that deflects off of Matt Stajan's skates

Old
03-13-2004, 06:45 PM
HughJass*

'Ning are making too many breakout passes within the neutral zone. What the heck is going on with our-d.

1-0, Ning.

Old
03-13-2004, 06:48 PM
HughJass*

Vasicek-Staal-Williams line generating good scoring chances, and the last one resulted in Hill putting a rebound on net. I really like the way these guys are stepping up.

1-1 up

Old
03-13-2004, 06:49 PM
bleedgreen

ive been impressed with the new cane look so far since ronnie left. other guys are starting to step up, and the young guys are leading the way. does anyone question williams for markov? i sure dont - he's awesome.

Old
03-13-2004, 06:51 PM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
does anyone question williams for markov?
hell, no, bro

Coach's Corner: Cherry was livid about the media's coverage of the Bertuzzi incident. I wish ESPN would replay that.

Also, he didn't name names but the SI writer Cherry was speaking of was Rick Reilly. Reilly was on ESPN News the other day completely dogging the NHL. Dude, I hate media heads when they get on tv. Reilly has been cool at times, but the guy is obviously an ego-maniac. He'll say anything to get 15 more minutes.

Last edited by HughJass*: 03-13-2004 at 06:57 PM.
Old
03-13-2004, 06:56 PM
bleedgreen

given the choice of watching the old guys lose, or watch the youngsters find their way, i choose the latter. at least there's hope for the future with staal, williams, vasicek etc. now that younger guys are taking all that ice time now available - the team seems quicker.

Old
03-13-2004, 07:03 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
Dude, I hate media heads when they get on tv. Reilly has been cool at times, but the guy is obviously an ego-maniac. He'll say anything to get 15 more minutes.

you might get a kick out of this jackass - saying fighting should be banned and saying the attack is something not only bertuzzi and teamates verbally planned behind the scenes - but saying crawford probably had a hand in making sure it happened. this type of thing really irks me, this guy can be front and center in the boston globe talking about what hockey should do - i suspect from his writing he has never played the game in his life. anyway: http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...of_their_game/

Old
03-13-2004, 07:05 PM
bleedgreen

erik cole kicks butt. great second effort and hustle.

Old
03-13-2004, 07:08 PM
HughJass*

Dude, I swear to you even before I clicked on the link I was thinking "Michael Holley". Dude, I can thank ESPN for helping me hate sports writers now. ESPN gets these newspaper guys on these tv shows, and it gives them the confidence to think they know what the hell they are talking about, even if it's a sport they don't usually cover.

I used to like Holley before I read that.

Old
03-13-2004, 07:18 PM
HughJass*

The more I read it, the more it sounds like most of the drivel I've heard this week. In my honest opinion, Bertuzzi's action had nothing to do with hockey. That could have happened in any sport, and it was not in the scope of the game. Hockey is getting a very bad black eye, and maybe Bertuzzi should have been suspended for a calendar year just for the simple reason he may have damaged the game.

I dunno, the more ignorant sports writers talk about and the more ignorant people listen to them the more the NHL lose. Wouldn't it just be cool if Bettman came out and started blasting ESPN. That would be funny as hell. Maybe he did that privately already. Someone in the NHL office called in to the Dan Patrick Show to complain about something they thought they heard Dan said. Makes me wonder how much the NHL has been complaining to media outlets privately.

Old
03-13-2004, 07:19 PM
bleedgreen

espn had a special on the incident the other day featuring stu grimson (very intelligent) versus mark kiszla from the denver post. living here in colorado for 6 years now, i groaned immediately. this guy is a moron. he was kicked out of the rockies locker room from shuffling thru players lockers looking for steroids a couple of years ago when it was all the rage in baseball to accuse everyone on your team of being on them. he started an avs rumour about all the players disliking eric lacroix because he was the gm's son - thinking there was nepotism involved. he printed it in the post and one week later - despite denials by everyone in the locker room pierre traded his own son to alleviate what had become a media feeding frenzy. whenever the avs are in a slump - trade sakic for a more outspoken leader....trade roy, hes lost it...etc.etc. this is the last dimwit on the planet who should be on tv as a respected source - and there he is on espn blasting hockeys barbaric "code" and its role in the fall of western civilization. stu grimson calmly and smartly defended hockeys virtues- all kiszla could do was yell at the screen and roll his eyes. i was humiliated to be a coloradan. this man will never speak for me.

Old
03-13-2004, 07:22 PM
HughJass*

Dude, it makes me wonder how these morons keep jobs. Nevermind, I see how in that guy you just spoke of's case: he made news. No integrity whatsoever. Kelly Chase also had a great interview on ESPN News the other day. It's funny, the guys who actually done the most fighting have been trying to intelligently explain hockey but no one is listening. Well, at least not the know-it-all hockey writers.

Old
03-13-2004, 07:33 PM
HughJass*

Wow, Forslund just admitted that O'Neill was playing with that torn labrum for "a long time". Guess the suspicions were correct, and Forslund always knew it (he hinted at an "upper body injury" all season).

OMG, Svboda scores his first of the season. Dude, the will win

Old
03-13-2004, 07:36 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Dude, it makes me wonder how these morons keep jobs. Nevermind, I see how in that guy you just spoke of's case: he made news. No integrity whatsoever. Kelly Chase also had a great interview on ESPN News the other day. It's funny, the guys who actually done the most fighting have been trying to intelligently explain hockey but no one is listening. Well, at least not the know-it-all hockey writers.
kelly chase was one of the whalers alltime fan favorites for a goon. the teams he played on were very tight, you could tell the all cared about each other and chase was in the middle of it. i respect him a lot - grimson was a whaler too, but much more serious an individual....compared to chase.
funny chase story. 5/6 times a season when forslund would do the player of the game interview, chase and dineen would give the star a shaving cream pie in the face in the middle of the interview...it was hysterical. js giguere got his first win as an 18 year old and was giving his whole "just doing my part" speech with his thick french accent and WHAM...covered in cream with a plate stuck to his face! he calmly removed it, wiped his eyes and kept going like nothing happened...i loved that team. anyway, chase has a 2 goal night against the rangers and got the star - and the interview . he nervously gets in front of the camera...never looking at it as he keeps whipping his head around trying to see his inevitable attack. forslund slowly keeps the interview going....after dead pause chase looks at the camera and says "johnny.....you're killin me". he finally just takes off before they can get him, and forslund cant even talk hes laughing so hard. the whale might not have wonmuch, but things like that always kept you around.

Old
03-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Staal with the assist. 3 games in a row with a point!

Old
03-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Plan 9

Just got home guys. What happened up to this point?

Old
03-13-2004, 07:45 PM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre
Just got home guys. What happened up to this point?
Uh, we are kicking their ass.

Great story, bleed

Old
03-13-2004, 07:45 PM
bleedgreen

tampa scored a quick 2 on 1 vinnie to fedetenko. caroina scores right after on hill shot from the slot after a centering pass from williams. cole and brindy head up ice on a 2 on 1 cole fumbles the puck dives after it chippeng to brindy top shelf. jaro knocks a staal rebound into the net out of mid air. good game, pretty quick. the canes are scoring more with this yong lineup, its fun to watch.

Old
03-13-2004, 07:48 PM
bleedgreen

caniacforever, staal is playing with a ton of confidence. the trade has got him hoppin, he looks great.

Old
03-13-2004, 07:58 PM
HughJass*

w00t w00t! Staal & Williams getting PK time.

w00t w00t! Staal & Williams almost scoring on PK time.

This is too much. I can't wait for next season! This team can't go backwards with these two guys playing like this. Factor in Brendl, 100% O, and a faster D this team should be at least a .500 club.

Old
03-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Plan 9

Only took Svoboda 23 games to register a point, I see. Staal, Vrbata, Hill with points in three consecutive games, that's great to see. Erik Cole with six points in his last six games.

3-1 after the second period. Beating the best team in the league.. Wow.

Old
03-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Plan 9

Quote:
w00t w00t! Staal & Williams getting PK time.

w00t w00t! Staal & Williams almost scoring on PK time.

This is too much. I can't wait for next season!
How much have you had to drink?

Old
03-13-2004, 08:11 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre
How much have you had to drink?
good idea, im grabbin a beer. knowing our team, ill need it through the third.

Closed Thread