HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricanes vs Lightning (03.13.04)

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2004, 09:11 PM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Thank you for putting a stop to all those Tampa Bay Shenanigans.
Also, Sorry to hear about Jeff O'Neill-hes one damn good player

Who else does it piss off that Tampa Bay only has 17 man games lost this year???

Old
03-13-2004, 09:11 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Vrbata + Confidence = Hejduk

Heard it here first. :p
i respect your enthusiasm - but ill let you have that one to yourself. vrbata has great skills, but hejduk always had the confidence. vrbata still isnt going into traffic like he has to, but youre right about him being a different player when he wants to be. when he gets open like he did on the breakaway - hes gonna score....now he has to get to the net and score when there are people in the way .

Old
03-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
i respect your enthusiasm - but ill let you have that one to yourself. vrbata has great skills, but hejduk always had the confidence. vrbata still isnt going into traffic like he has to, but youre right about him being a different player when he wants to be. when he gets open like he did on the breakaway - hes gonna score....now he has to get to the net and score when there are people in the way .
Well, Vrbata has the potential to end up to be a fantastic scorer but Hejduk was just me being a bit silly. There is no way that Vrbata ends up the scorer that Milan is. However, i've heard Avs fans say that they play the game a heck of a lot like each other and the comparison isn't as far off the mark as some people would like to think. A few actually say that Vrbata is faster. Go figure.

I'm still confident in Vrbata's ability to pot 30 goals a season though.

Old
03-13-2004, 09:22 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Should be interesting to note, however, that Hejduk's first season in the NHL was the year he turned 24. He scored 14G 34A for 48P on a stacked Avalanche team. Vrbata already has a 45 goal head start. :p It would be the equivalent to Hejduk's first season next year for Vrbata.

Last edited by Vagrant: 03-13-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old
03-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Another interesting note, Wallin is a bit skinnier than he looks on television.

Niclas Wallin Defense
Born Feb 20 1975 -- Boden, Sweden
Height 6.03 -- Weight 20 -- Shoots L

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...TRUE&pid=37512

Old
03-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
Hill now has 10 goals.

5-1, Canes.

Wow, 5 on 3 again. What did Taylor do?
Was on the ice, kinda enough to be called for penalty sometimes. Not blaming refs for this just so you get that cleared. it was a solid 120 min effort of playing with the heads firmly stuck up the ........ vs the canes in less than a week

Old
03-13-2004, 09:59 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Well, Vrbata has the potential to end up to be a fantastic scorer but Hejduk was just me being a bit silly. There is no way that Vrbata ends up the scorer that Milan is. However, i've heard Avs fans say that they play the game a heck of a lot like each other and the comparison isn't as far off the mark as some people would like to think. A few actually say that Vrbata is faster. Go figure.

I'm still confident in Vrbata's ability to pot 30 goals a season though.
i agree about the 30 goals. ive watched more avs games than canes games since hejduk started (didnt get center ice till last year - good timing ) - i always heard those comparisons around town, but i found that to be more of a issue of them both being czechs, and avs fans assume they are all the same (yes, a lot of avs fans are that bad). the tv announcers also said things like that which didnt help. hejduk had great moves right off the bat, it took about half a season to adjust. i was positive he was 22/23 when he started, about the same as drury...they were drafted the same year. if he was 24 when he started, he would be 30 - wouldnt he? im pretty sure he is about 28 - oneill was drafted that same year as well. that draft was in hartford - which is why i remember it so well :p . youll have that advantage on me this draft.
all in all, i still like radim and think he can be at least a steady 20-25 goal scorer - but there was a reason pl gave him to us for bates. vrbata had trouble staying in the lineup - hartley didnt trust him in his own and (shocker) he wouldnt go to the net. i think they are similar in their ability to skate around the o zone maintaining possession, then dishing. they look similar for sure in that situation. i think that vrbata has faster feet, to hejduks faster hands. hejduk may not be a blazer - but he is pretty fast and more importantly always in the right place at the right time....i wish radim wouldve picked that part up.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 03-13-2004 at 10:08 PM.
Old
03-13-2004, 10:18 PM
bleedgreen

this may seem excessive, but a big mental difference between hejduk and radim is in their sticks. hejduk uses a big toe curve, favored by just about every sniper in the league. it helps get the puck up high from in tight, especially wrist shots and also helps with toe-drag dangles (hejduk specialty). radim uses a heel curve that seems to have no toe at all. that would be more for passing and possesion in traffic - you can hold the puck wider to your side with the heel curve, but its not for taking it to the net. its also more of a slap shot stick. this may seem minor, but i dont think it is at all. hejduks mind set is one of a goal scorer, he isnt afraid to dangle or pick that top shelf even if its a low percentage play - and his stick exemplifies it. radim wants to be a good unselfish teamate who dishes nice passes and wants to make sure his shot on net - thats what his stick says...and its how he plays. thats why i think that he doesnt really want to be a goalscorer - just a good player. i know its seems like a minute difference - but thats one reason why i never thought radim was a big sniper.

Old
03-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Hejduk's birthday is February 14th, 1976. He made his NHL debut in the 1998-1999 season. He ws 22 at the start of the season, and turned 23 in February. That makes you right i'm pretty sure.

Old
03-13-2004, 10:45 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Also of note, Radim Vrbata turns 23 in June.

Old
03-14-2004, 09:37 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Interesting Hedjuk/Vrbata banter

Anyhoot, since the 2 teams involved last night are in this thread I'm about to post, I present you teh l33t uber bull shyser o' da week

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=61794

Old
03-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Plan 9

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that. It's probably best that way.

Closed Thread