HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

I think this is the lowest we have felt

Old
03-07-2009, 02:24 PM
BJG

vCash: 500
I think this is the lowest we have felt

Having been a rabid fan for decades and a guest, then poster on these boards for a number of years, there is a funereal feeling to the boards these days.

When 'catastrophic' events have happened in the recent past, e.g. Saku's cancer, Williams taking out Saku's eye (no call), Therrien's bench minor, Begin's late-game playoff penalties, and on and on, there always seemed to be some villain (the refs, the Bruins, etc). It felt like the hockey Gods owed us some Karma, and we occasionally got it (the two big 1st round upsets of the Bruins comes to mind; or Theo's late run to get us into the playoffs his Hart/Vezina year).

Now, there is a sense that the team is playing with no heart. They are not playing for their teammate, their fans, or for themselves, for that matter.

We can still make the playoffs, of course, but something feels different. Sad. Maybe it's just me, but this season has felt more like an end than a beginning. And despite the promising players we have coming up, they may be talented, but they seem like they will be hard to love. Where are the Skrudlands, Mullers, Keanes, Naslunds, McPhees, Nilans, and, yes, Sakus? Not to mention the Lafleurs, Roys and Robinsons.

Maybe it's just the nature of the business these days. Or maybe I just need to up my antidepressant dose.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Frankenheimer

I know what you mean, but we're still better off than ten years ago. Our character guys were Odelein, Bureau and Quintal. I think this guy Pacioretty is our future star and role player. Plus, not sure you heard but Kostitsyn and Kovalev have officially been divorced. That should purge enough bad Karma to win at least a round, hopefully Boston.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Having been a rabid fan for decades and a guest, then poster on these boards for a number of years, there is a funereal feeling to the boards these days.

Now, there is a sense that the team is playing with no heart. They are not playing for their teammate, their fans, or for themselves, for that matter.

We can still make the playoffs, of course, but something feels different. Where are the Skrudlands, Mullers, Keanes, Naslunds, McPhees, Nilans, and, yes, Sakus? Not to mention the Lafleurs, Roys and Robinsons.

Maybe it's just the nature of the business these days. Or maybe I just need to up my antidepressant dose.

This is (for the most part) Gainey's team - for better or for worse - it is what it is!

Gainey did inherit some of his current roster - but it was Gainey who decided to keep those playres - (Koivu, Plakanec, Kostitsyn, Komi, Higgins, Markov & Brisebios) the remaider of Habs roster were Gainey aquisitions.

Scary thought: What if this is......As good as it gets?

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 02:37 PM
tigidou

It's simply because we we're 1st last season.
High hopes leads to great disappointment..

We're like a rookie player who's great the 1st season and suck the 2nd season.. The 3rd (or 4th) we'll be much better

tigidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 02:39 PM
BLONG7

This is remending me of 2 seasons ago, when from Xmas on ( flu ) we were terrible...we lost to the leafs, and no playoffs that year...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Melvin Udall

[QUOTE=Frankenheimer;18400434].......not sure you heard but Kostitsyn and Kovalev have officially been divorced. That should purge enough bad Karma to win at least a round, hopefully Boston.[/QUOTE]

To my knowledge Kostitsyn has not scored a goal - or - for that matter, played a good game, since he was publicly named in the lastet tabloid "scandal".

Just guessing, but maybe he had some explaining to do to his wife (about the request for some fast women).

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 02:44 PM
mlandry

If we miss the playoffs I will agree with you.

Actually, I don't want to miss the playoffs for 2 reasons.
1) Obviously, want to win a round and watch more hockey
2) Fans from other teams will never let us live it down

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Joe Malone

I still think we're better than this.......

I keep waiting for the team to show up, to break out of this, expecting/hoping the next game will be the one.....but it's not happening. The losses used to affect my mood, now I'm just numb.

On a positive note, Price looked good last night.

I still think we're better than this.......

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 04:53 PM
AT27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post

When 'catastrophic' events have happened in the recent past, e.g. Saku's cancer, Williams taking out Saku's eye (no call), Therrien's bench minor, Begin's late-game playoff penalties, and on and on, there always seemed to be some villain (the refs, the Bruins, etc). It felt like the hockey Gods owed us some Karma, and we occasionally got it (the two big 1st round upsets of the Bruins comes to mind; or Theo's late run to get us into the playoffs his Hart/Vezina year).

We can still make the playoffs, of course, but something feels different. Sad. Maybe it's just me, but this season has felt more like an end than a beginning. And despite the promising players we have coming up, they may be talented, but they seem like they will be hard to love. Where are the Skrudlands, Mullers, Keanes, Naslunds, McPhees, Nilans, and, yes, Sakus? Not to mention the Lafleurs, Roys and Robinsons.

I totally agree with this. This afternoon, I was watching the final game in 93 against the Kings when we won the Stanley cup for the last time. The expression on the players faces, the passion they had in their eyes, the happiness the expressed when a goal was scored.... Where is all this?? Where are the players who would give anything for their team, for their fans, for themselves. Money controls everything now, and players just seem to not give a s**t where they are playing, and the ones who do get traded.... Although business has always been this way in the NHL I can't seem to understant where the passion went with out team this year? Where the will to win went.. Where the thirst for victory went? I just don't understand...
I'm totally with you, and I bet we're not the only ones who need to up our antidepressent dose!

AT27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 05:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I don't know if it's as bad as it appears, I don't know if the off ice rumors are true or are having an effect on the teams performance, or if it's a case of the 100 year hoopla getting to their heads distracting them, or if it's a case of the team not being as good as we thought, or it could be a case that this team just sucks on the road.

Take a look at the last 16 losses we have had. 14 of them have been on the road, and at home in the east the Habs are tied with boston for the least amount of regulation losses with just 6. Then consider that after tomorrows game the Habs play 9 of 10 at home for this month but then 4 of 6 on the road in April, so it's looking like the boys better continue their home success cause they will need to get as many points as they can muster at home before going into April.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT27 View Post
I totally agree with this. This afternoon, I was watching the final game in 93 against the Kings when we won the Stanley cup for the last time. The expression on the players faces, the passion they had in their eyes, the happiness the expressed when a goal was scored.... Where is all this?? Where are the players who would give anything for their team, for their fans, for themselves. Money controls everything now, and players just seem to not give a s**t where they are playing, and the ones who do get traded.... Although business has always been this way in the NHL I can't seem to understant where the passion went with out team this year? Where the will to win went.. Where the thirst for victory went? I just don't understand...
I'm totally with you, and I bet we're not the only ones who need to up our antidepressent dose!
I'm not disagreeing you with you, but you know you are comparing a final game of a stanley cup final... to a season game.

We don't know how this current roster would act in that situation.. maybe better maybe worse..

So you can not compare a season game emotions to that of a final game in the finals...

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 05:13 PM
ReVeuF

I am sure there is something we do not know... like some stuff kept hidden by the justice. Players look like disturbed and do not have their head in playing hockey.

Expect some other bigger scandal when season ends. I feel it.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 05:25 PM
AT27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I'm not disagreeing you with you, but you know you are comparing a final game of a stanley cup final... to a season game.

We don't know how this current roster would act in that situation.. maybe better maybe worse..

So you can not compare a season game emotions to that of a final game in the finals...
That's for sure, I wasn't really comparing, I was just stating the fact that theses guys seem so emotionless... whether it's a regular season game or not. We are at a point right now, that the games they are playing are probably the most important games. We are what, 2 points from not making the playoffs.... I think it's time they should start caring.
I also believe, and am hoping that there is something behind this whole thing.... I know theses players are better than they are playing..... I just hope something happens to wake them up a little...

AT27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT27 View Post
That's for sure, I wasn't really comparing, I was just stating the fact that theses guys seem so emotionless... whether it's a regular season game or not. We are at a point right now, that the games they are playing are probably the most important games. We are what, 2 points from not making the playoffs.... I think it's time they should start caring.
I also believe, and am hoping that there is something behind this whole thing.... I know theses players are better than they are playing..... I just hope something happens to wake them up a little...

Yeah there I'd agree with you, but I think it's been a hard month (or two?) for these guys.. and it seems like they can never get off this bad .. "slump"

Maybe when things start rolling our ways we will wake up and show more emotion. I mean that 5-0 come back last year... that was emotion.. emotion I wanna see.

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Jedrik

Not even close. Ten years ago we were missing the playoffs regularly and had no future. Right now we're in playoff position late in the season and have a good pool of prospects.

Last edited by Jedrik: 03-07-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Taupy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
Just guessing, but maybe he had some explaining to do to his wife (about the request for some fast women).
That is something I thought right after hearing him talking about not needing anybody to find alcohol and women. The guy has a girlfriend and they have a kid together, it wasn't the smartest thing to say.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Belso

The first half of the season was great. A lot happened this season. Injuries, festivities, run in with bad people, the all star game, etc.. This team is mentally sensitive and they are prone to panicking when things don't go well..

They young will only get better with age so the future is always bright. Never give up on your team even if they seem give up on you. Be a role model for them and cheer your heart out!!

GO HABS GO!!!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 07:33 PM
BJG

My point wasn't about whether or not we will make the playoffs; we might. We might even make a run in the post-season. It's more about the kind of team we have. I don't mean we're not tough enough, or we're not 'Canadian' enough. It's about heart and pride, and any other sports cliche you can think of.

Like most Habs fans, I think we should measure success in championships. Still, there is something about LOVING your team. Seeing them give their last breath for the CH. In '93 Kirk looked like he had a terminal illness, he lost so much weight during the playoffs. Carbo (Yes, the man whose head everyone wants to see on a platter) would block a shot with his face if he had to. People joke about Lyle the Smile, but when he dropped the gloves, it was for his teammates, not for his next contract. Mike Keane had the CH literally tattooed on his chest (he may still); of course he was then made captain and traded...

There was a sense of TEAM; not a group of individuals who might or might not play well together on a line. Of course our team is more talented than the teams of the early part of the decade. But, frankly, some of those teams had more character than this one does.

Where is the JOY of the game. Since Lang got hurt, does anyone on this team even smile?

I am not giving up on this team. I will die a Habs fan. The team is a huge part of my life (just ask my wife). I just wish I felt the same emotion I did when watching them in the past, 30 years ago, or three years ago, winning or losing.

Any oldtimers know what I'm trying to express? McPhee?

Oh, well.

Maybe they just need to move back to Atwater and St. Catherine's...

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 07:45 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

It was much worst April 7th, 2007 at 10pm.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 07:52 PM
DaHabMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
It was much worst April 7th, 2007 at 10pm.
exactly this. Felt MUCH worse.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
exactly this. Felt MUCH worse.
Let's wait till the end of the season.

15-20 more of these (i.e. last night) will feel much worse in the long run.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote