HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tocchet signs two year contract.

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
Tocchet signs two year contract.

Quote:
Sources tell TSN the Tampa Bay Lightning are close to signing head coach Rick Tocchet to a three-year contract extension.

Tabbed interim head coach since taking over for the fired Barry Melrose on November 14, this would mark Tocchet's first full-time head coaching job.

A 24-year NHL veteran both as a player and a coach, Tocchet played 18 seasons with Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Boston, Washington and Phoenix. During his career he amassed 1,144 career games and recorded 440 goals, 952 points and 2,972 penalty minutes.

The Scarborough, Ontario native won the Stanley Cup with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1992 and appeared in the Stanley Cup Finals with Philadelphia in 1987.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2701...s=topStory_nhl

UPDATE: Rick Tocchet has accepted a two year deal and officially been named head coach.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278350

Last edited by Felonious Python: 05-12-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old
03-07-2009, 03:58 PM
stammerhammer91

sorry, i just put it on too

Old
03-07-2009, 04:01 PM
broad

A three year extension seems kind of puzzling to me. Don't the Lightning the same record under Tocchet as Melrose? 3 years for an inexperienced head coach who hasn't won anything seems questionable.

Old
03-07-2009, 04:12 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna View Post
A three year extension seems kind of puzzling to me. Don't the Lightning the same record under Tocchet as Melrose? 3 years for an inexperienced head coach who hasn't won anything seems questionable.
Players respect Tocchet and we play much, much better under him. Melrose was an awful coach that nobody liked.

Stamkos and the whole team in general have benefited from Toc being in charge. There's no problem with him as coach, so there's really no reason to get another one. I'm happy for him and I'm glad he'll be in charge come next training camp

Old
03-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Radical Yzerlamic
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm glad for the stability. I doubt training camp next year will be such a clusterf%*#. Hopefully the front office can lure someone with defensive abilities in the off season setting us up for at least a chance at the playoffs.

Old
03-07-2009, 04:24 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Great news!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Untamable

Quote:
I dont blame Tocchet, I blame ownership.

WTG Toc! I was wondering when they'd finally drop the "interim" from his title.

Old
03-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
I am neutral on this one. Hopefully it works out.

Old
03-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Sear91

I'd go for 2 years on this one, but I do believe he can help turn us around.

Old
03-07-2009, 05:49 PM
LTNINGFan

Send a message via AIM to LTNINGFan Send a message via Yahoo to LTNINGFan
At least the players like Toc's. I think it will benefit the team. Just shore up the D, and they'll be much improved.

Old
03-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I like Toc, so im happy if it's true

03-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

This team is beyond lousy...we may have a better record than the Islanders, but they're the better team. Take a lousy team, put it through a rash of key injuries(Ranger, Meszaros, Smith) and subtract one of its top scorers/forwards in Recchi, you have the the results right now against Carolina...9-1.

Peter Laviolette. Hes the man I want for the job here. Tampa management should be wise to listen to me.

Old
03-07-2009, 10:56 PM
ThunderRoad

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/mar...rts-lightning/

Gotta love Lawton's double-talk.

Old
03-07-2009, 11:40 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I'm not a fan of Tocchet at all. He doesn't seem to know how to motivate, or coach, or develop a powerplay or... I could go on a while.

Old
03-08-2009, 12:36 AM
paperclip maniac

I don't like his offensive zone coverage, nobody set up on the half boards, and the D doesn't pinch, so the opposing team can skate right out of their defensive zone...I miss the days of my team being able to spend a whole shift in the offensive zone. Other than that, I think he's a great assistant coach, not a good head coach.

Old
03-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
Where did Lawton double-talk again? I don't see it...he never said Tocchet was going to be re-signed. He was stating for the record that the reports that we are about to re-sign him for 3 years and make him head coach are premature.

Old
03-08-2009, 06:23 AM
peanutvendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclip maniac View Post
I don't like his offensive zone coverage, nobody set up on the half boards, and the D doesn't pinch, so the opposing team can skate right out of their defensive zone...I miss the days of my team being able to spend a whole shift in the offensive zone. Other than that, I think he's a great assistant coach, not a good head coach.
agreed. the whole 3 man forecheck is a terrible idea. gives the defensive team the whole middle of the ice to break out. the pk is also pretty poor, weakside coverage anyone?

hopefully it works out, i cant take another losing season after these last 2. its too depressing.

and to the lawton article, he basically said "im not saying yes, but im not saying no" in more words. whats the problem? if he says yes and then decides theres a better coach on the market, hes a jackass. and how would it be telling an employee your getting demoted through a newspaper article?

Old
03-08-2009, 05:17 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutvendor View Post
agreed. the whole 3 man forecheck is a terrible idea. gives the defensive team the whole middle of the ice to break out. the pk is also pretty poor, weakside coverage anyone?

hopefully it works out, i cant take another losing season after these last 2. its too depressing.

and to the lawton article, he basically said "im not saying yes, but im not saying no" in more words. whats the problem? if he says yes and then decides theres a better coach on the market, hes a jackass. and how would it be telling an employee your getting demoted through a newspaper article?
You guys understand that we don't pinch because we have THE SLOWEST DEFENSE KNOWN TO MAN, right?

Old
03-08-2009, 11:59 PM
peanutvendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
You guys understand that we don't pinch because we have THE SLOWEST DEFENSE KNOWN TO MAN, right?
yes i do. i was commenting on

1. dump and chase, 3 forwards to the boards near the puck (3 man forecheck part). it leaves the slot and center ice open all the way down, so when we have 2 forwards standing next to a guy who loses the puck, they break out with ease cause nobody is there to disrupt the passing lanes.

2. completely disregarding the weakside slot on the penalty kill. watch our PKs, thats where most of the goals are scored on us, we are too aggressive on the puck and it leaves the most vulnerable spot even more vulnerable.

and imagine if SOB was still here, how much slower the defense would be.

Old
03-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutvendor View Post
yes i do. i was commenting on

1. dump and chase, 3 forwards to the boards near the puck (3 man forecheck part). it leaves the slot and center ice open all the way down, so when we have 2 forwards standing next to a guy who loses the puck, they break out with ease cause nobody is there to disrupt the passing lanes.

2. completely disregarding the weakside slot on the penalty kill. watch our PKs, thats where most of the goals are scored on us, we are too aggressive on the puck and it leaves the most vulnerable spot even more vulnerable.

and imagine if SOB was still here, how much slower the defense would be.
Malik is slow enough thank you.....SOB cant even compete against the greatness that is Malik

Smaby isn't exactly a fast skater either, least most of the time though forwards are afraid to try and use there speed to there advantage against him. Usually when that happens the end up on there *****......god we need more of that.

Old
03-09-2009, 10:55 AM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Yea, we should just get new coaches every 20 games or so so as to assure no continuity and no set system. That sounds like the answer to me. Not to mention the fact that there are so many coaches out there looking for work that have won so much.

This is actually the right choice for this bizarre, ****ed up management to make. Tocchet is good, he was going to be a good head coach somewhere so it may as well be here.

Old
03-09-2009, 10:59 AM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post

Peter Laviolette. Hes the man I want for the job here. Tampa management should be wise to listen to me.
Torts Part 2. Different hairdo but essentially the same guy. Unfortunately it would yield the same results post '03-'04.

Old
03-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I really cannot see how there can be critics against Tocs results at late, looking at our defense and goalkeepers we have to go back to our earliest days to find something as bad.

The coaching staff got a clear idea how to play (something Marty amongst others have pointed out), there is a good mix between them, we got Walz who Stamkos praised, Sullivan who is a bit more experienced and so on.

I think they are worthy a chance, rather than getting some old and tired coach, giving Toc three years shows on faith and patience. Thats something we need more than anything else.

Old
03-09-2009, 01:01 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimismRestrainer View Post
Yea, we should just get new coaches every 20 games or so so as to assure no continuity and no set system. That sounds like the answer to me. Not to mention the fact that there are so many coaches out there looking for work that have won so much.

This is actually the right choice for this bizarre, ****ed up management to make. Tocchet is good, he was going to be a good head coach somewhere so it may as well be here.
Woah stop being so positive.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-09-2009, 01:59 PM
ViD

I dont know, I would like to see a more experienced coach in charge, but if he's respected by the players and knows what to say in critical moments of the game, he should be fine.

Torts is still better

Closed Thread