HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tocchet signs two year contract.

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2009, 01:19 PM
bassassin

vCash: 500
I like Tocc, but as was said above, he REALLY needs a solid assistant coach mainly because of his lack of experience as head coach, so provided we keep Sullivan I will be happy, those two seem to make a good combo for this team.

Old
05-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Symphony X

4PM announcement at Icons announcing new head coach:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/

About time

Old
05-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Sear91

vCash: 435
Just saw it on nhl.com... Its official: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=422385

Old
05-11-2009, 05:41 PM
quesosauce

i'm sorry to hear you signed tochett w/o even interviewing anyone else

i'm an Avalanche fan, and our team team that last year when we decided to let quinville walk, and hired grantool before he even interviewed anyone else

it didnt work out for us, lets hop it works for you

Old
05-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post

i'm an Avalanche fan, and our team team that last year when we decided to let quinville walk, and hired grantool before he even interviewed anyone else

it didnt work out for us, lets hop it works for you
Well the team played better once Tocchet had his system in place and started to turn things around. Unforunately when that started happening Ranger, Meszaros, and Smith all got injured and were shut down for the season in like a week's span. I think he's a decent coach, I'd like to see what he can do with the team over a full season and the team relatively healthy. Hopefully they can retain Sullivan or hire an experienced assistant since Tocchet is a first time head coach to help out.

Old
05-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Well the team played better once Tocchet had his system in place and started to turn things around. Unforunately when that started happening Ranger, Meszaros, and Smith all got injured and were shut down for the season in like a week's span. I think he's a decent coach, I'd like to see what he can do with the team over a full season and the team relatively healthy. Hopefully they can retain Sullivan or hire an experienced assistant since Tocchet is a first time head coach to help out.
agreed I also like to see when we actually have a training camp next season too.

Old
05-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Symphony X

So instead of Camp Torturella we'll have what? Camp Toccture? I kinda like it.

Old
05-11-2009, 10:48 PM
momotan

Hope he got his money upfront. With the liars and conmen who now own and operate this team now, it's the smart move to make. Hopefully they won't hang him out to dry if the team tanks again. He's working a huge uphill climb.

Old
05-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Acehawk74

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
Hope he got his money upfront. With the liars and conmen who now own and operate this team now, it's the smart move to make. Hopefully they won't hang him out to dry if the team tanks again. He's working a huge uphill climb.
Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

I think not. Conmen...yeesh.

Old
05-12-2009, 01:51 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
I like Tocc, but as was said above, he REALLY needs a solid assistant coach mainly because of his lack of experience as head coach, so provided we keep Sullivan I will be happy, those two seem to make a good combo for this team.
I really agree. Tocchet is likely to be very hit or miss, by himself, most likely miss.

Old
05-12-2009, 08:01 AM
TBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post
Have to agree here. Especially since they only signed him for 2 years. Tells me that the next 2 years are rebuilding years.

Old
05-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickSP0 View Post
I'm glad for the stability. I doubt training camp next year will be such a clusterf%*#. Hopefully the front office can lure someone with defensive abilities in the off season setting us up for at least a chance at the playoffs.
Whoa buddy. I think getting out of bottom two is your first goal. I think this team has the ability to be a playoff team....in about two or three years.

You have a good prospects. Nabbing Hedman wouldn't hurt either. You'll get back there.

At least you have a Stanley Cup in your resume.

Old
05-12-2009, 01:48 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFan View Post
Have to agree here. Especially since they only signed him for 2 years. Tells me that the next 2 years are rebuilding years.
Or could it not be that last season was his first year? And that he has a TOTAL of three seasons to work with the team and show something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Whoa buddy. I think getting out of bottom two is your first goal. I think this team has the ability to be a playoff team....in about two or three years.

You have a good prospects. Nabbing Hedman wouldn't hurt either. You'll get back there.

At least you have a Stanley Cup in your resume.
Why in 2 or 3 years? I mean as it is Vinny and Marty are both in their prime, 2 or 3 years time and Marty is mid to late 30s he isnt going to be at the same level, so I think if that were the case we would have seen moves to remove players like him for a full rebuild.

In goal we are set with Smith and Ramo, with plenty in the pipeline, it is just a question mark on defense and Hedman will help that.

Old
05-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Or could it not be that last season was his first year? And that he has a TOTAL of three seasons to work with the team and show something?

Why in 2 or 3 years? I mean as it is Vinny and Marty are both in their prime, 2 or 3 years time and Marty is mid to late 30s he isnt going to be at the same level, so I think if that were the case we would have seen moves to remove players like him for a full rebuild.

In goal we are set with Smith and Ramo, with plenty in the pipeline, it is just a question mark on defense and Hedman will help that.
Don't bank on an 18 year old lanky kid being the defining factor for us next year, or else you'll be disappointed. The kid will be good... in time.

Old
05-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Untamable

http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/....html#comments

Quote:
Lightning coach Rick Tocchet on Monday finally got the interim tag taken off his title. And on Sept. 14, he will open his first training camp as an NHL head coach.
Quote:
Here is what he had to say:

On getting his first contract as an NHL head coach: I take this very seriously. There are 30 NHL jobs and 30 NHL coaches, and itís a privilege to have a chance to be a head coach of one of thesefranchises. Iíve had numerous talks with (GM Brian Lawton and co-owner Oren Koules) about what it takes to be an NHL player and coach, and the one thing we agree on, itís the emblem you play for, the crest. Itís something I always believed in. Thatís a mandate, especially going into Sept. 14. People will be playing for that logo and not the name on the back (of the jersey).

On his expectations for the players: I expect the players to be in shape to play for the Tampa Bay Lightning. Weíre not going to wait for players. Iím not trying to be harsh, but I told the guys they have to be ready to play on Sept 14, not November or December. We canít wait for you. We have four months to get ready. They get paid a lot.

Last edited by Hockeyfan02: 05-12-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Copyright: can't quote entire articles
Old
05-12-2009, 03:13 PM
TBFan

Quote:
Didn't really show anything in year 1 then.

Old
05-12-2009, 11:40 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1000392.ece

Quote:
Rick Tocchet did not tippy-toe around on his first day as Lightning coach.
Quote:
Signed Monday to a two-year deal that pays about $550,000 a season, Tocchet promised consequences if players on Sept. 14 are not ready for training camp.

"If you're not in shape, there's ramifications," he said at the St. Pete Times Forum. "You might not be in camp. You might not be with the team. There are things I will do that, if you're not in shape, I'll carry out."
Quote:
So, what took Lawton so long ó a month, in fact, since the end of the season ó to remove Tocchet's interim tag?

"I wanted to really perform an in-depth review of everything we did, and that ranges from our players to our scouts to our coaches," Lawton said. "We had to break it down line by line."

Lawton said he even had a list of names to pursue if he determined Tocchet was not the man for the job.

"But as an organization, we want to look from within before looking outside, and it didn't seem logical (to go elsewhere) after going through the process of analyzing the job Rick did."

Old
05-13-2009, 03:04 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
Don't bank on an 18 year old lanky kid being the defining factor for us next year, or else you'll be disappointed. The kid will be good... in time.
I'm not counting on him being a defining factor, but solid on the bottom pairing. I mean all I am counting on is better than Malik, Melichar Koci etc etc If he isnt then I think his hailing as the next great dman is a bit overrated.

Old
05-13-2009, 06:01 PM
ultra63

Is Tocchet the lowest paid NHL coach?

Old
05-13-2009, 06:07 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
Maybe. Which doesn't mean much considering the worst coach in the league is also by far the highest paid.

Old
05-14-2009, 07:40 AM
TBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
I think he is or close to it.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Maybe. Which doesn't mean much considering the worst coach in the league is also by far the highest paid.
who?

Old
05-14-2009, 10:10 AM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
who?
Gretzky.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old