HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greg Stewart

Old
03-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
I don't think Brunet realised at the time that Stewart was getting the extra 2 for interference.
Actually, I was referring to the 3rd period. It was a long phone call

In the third, he was talking about how Stewart had a great game and his play on Ott had changed the game.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Newhabfan

The best part is how everyone, including Brunet and Houle, including myself (I'm completely against on-ice violence), I mean everyone was happy with his actions. We all knew it was going to cost us PK minutes, maybe even a goal or two, but we all felt it's what was needed for the team.

My guess is he did not "plan" it - but it came naturally.

The result - the whole team played as a team again. They felt proud again of being together.

That's priceless - we'll always remember this

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
The whole point was willingness to take 2-5 minutes more on the PIM to stop Dallas from running around our guys. The inspired PK we played following this is what got this team fired up. But that ignited what spirited play is Steward willing to pummel down Ott. Not that I blame Ott, he's doing his job well.
My personal thoughts when it happened and after seeing the result, I thought we'd lose because of the goals scored during the following PP but that by next game, we'd be more fired up by gooning up this game.
And if we got out of that by miracle (which we did), that victory was but a clinch because of the momentum.

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Personally, I can't believe he only got a minor for that. He got a few good punches in.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Markovskaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
He also doesn't skate like a rhino with a broken foot on skates.

HAHAH the image of this in my head cracks me up..

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 08:43 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...ad5387a6&ref=s

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Habs

If the ref's and the league, had any amount of pride for themselves, the game or the teams.. they'd call an unsportsmanlike on Ott for being a pain in the ass and none of this would have happened.

I'm all for the role of being a pest, but begging guys to take your head off for the sake of a 2 minute penalty, isn't good for the game.

At least be a man and drop the gloves, after running around taking cheap shots at anyone in the way.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Fire Brunet*

Stewart

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I love Stewart!!

But we still need Georges Laraque. We need both of these guys on our fourth line. Like yesterday, Valabik was making his law, challenging every body on the ice and laughing at our players, as Boulton. If Laraque would have been there, Boulton or Valabik would have had a pretty good beating...!

So, we need Stewart to fight against all the middleweight and BGL for all the heavyweight on our fourth line!
Boulton and Valabik didn't do much yesterday, O'byrne beat the crap out of their 18 year old rookie and they did nothing.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 11:45 PM
peperebougon*

I We'll get tougher each year from now on. Always said the toughness issue would resolve from within...we got lots of mean kids coming. Stewie, Paquet, Stejskal, Torp, Valentenko, Conboy, Emelin to name a few... The Bruins/Flyers will have a little surprise...

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 01:55 AM
aevans0001

Sorry to invade your board but,
You guys are funny.

IF the habs had not of killed off alot of other penalties in the period you might be able to say the fight brought them together to kill the penalty, but that simply was not the case. The 5 on 3 changed the momentum and killed the momentum for the Stars.

Ott can not drop the gloves per the Rulebook. I understand everyone wants to say he turtles anyway, but now he has no choice. Ott gets in plenty of fights and probably wins over 50% of them. You can talk about hockey code, but code doesn't win games, power plays do. So if Ott is a pest and gets under the opposing players skin, and then turtles, who is the smart one. I say screw code and win the game. I will say that the Habs is one of my favorite teams, especially with all the old Stars which are old Habs, which are now Habs. Like Gainey, Carboneou (SP? I just don't care), I believe there are a couple more. Isn't muller a coach or something? Anyway, and they did play better after the fight which was really due to killing off the 5 on 3. The Habs should have been nowhere near competitive tonight as the Stars should have cleaned them up in the first. That didn't happen, Habs won... Good game

aevans0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
If the ref's and the league, had any amount of pride for themselves, the game or the teams.. they'd call an unsportsmanlike on Ott for being a pain in the ass and none of this would have happened.

I'm all for the role of being a pest, but begging guys to take your head off for the sake of a 2 minute penalty, isn't good for the game.

At least be a man and drop the gloves, after running around taking cheap shots at anyone in the way.
when ott was taking runs at koivu and chirping at kovalev, I started thinking back to the 80's and imagined what semenko would do if ott did that to gretzky or what probert would do if ott did that yzerman.

Something has gone wrong since then.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:59 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
The best part is how everyone, including Brunet and Houle, including myself (I'm completely against on-ice violence), I mean everyone was happy with his actions. We all knew it was going to cost us PK minutes, maybe even a goal or two, but we all felt it's what was needed for the team.

My guess is he did not "plan" it - but it came naturally.

The result - the whole team played as a team again. They felt proud again of being together.

That's priceless - we'll always remember this
100% agreed... we all knew what was going to happen..but he HAD to do it, and i dont think it was planned either, he just wanted to take out the mother******

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Riverboat Gambler

great work by Stewart...

and great officiating from Fraser (I can't believe I said that). That was a veteran call.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Bob in Niagara

Stewart is the kind of player this team has needed for a long time...gritty... in your face...tireless worker...physical...and has good size and great wheels... and has CHARACTER which we need LOTS MORE OF!!!

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
when ott was taking runs at koivu and chirping at kovalev, I started thinking back to the 80's and imagined what semenko would do if ott did that to gretzky or what probert would do if ott did that yzerman.

Something has gone wrong since then.
Probably goes back to the instigator rule, because Ott knows there's nothing much that can be done. Semenko, Brown.. Marty McSorley.. they would have punched the **** out of him by the time his second shift was over.

He was throwing elbows at heads which was getting really annoying. I mean, if you can' fight because of an injury, prepare to get your face kicked in.

I generally don't have a problem with players being a pest etc, just keep it safe and clean.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Garnet

Stewart

The best part about the Stewart things was, at the start of the second period on the Dallas feed, they memtioned: The start of the period is delay because the ice crew is trying to find Ott's teeth in the ice shavings!!!! what a laugh.

Garnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:23 AM
AH

Is there a YT of this?

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:35 AM
GoodKiwi

Does anyone think that Stewart might make Kosto expandable next season?

I'm just wondering because I love Kosto and would like to keep him next year for depth on that fourth line (Laraque/Metro/Stewart/Kosto).

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:39 AM
AH

No he doesn't. I keep Kosto. We need more Kosto like players.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevans0001 View Post
Sorry to invade your board but,
You guys are funny.

IF the habs had not of killed off alot of other penalties in the period you might be able to say the fight brought them together to kill the penalty, but that simply was not the case. The 5 on 3 changed the momentum and killed the momentum for the Stars.

Ott can not drop the gloves per the Rulebook. I understand everyone wants to say he turtles anyway, but now he has no choice. Ott gets in plenty of fights and probably wins over 50% of them. You can talk about hockey code, but code doesn't win games, power plays do. So if Ott is a pest and gets under the opposing players skin, and then turtles, who is the smart one. I say screw code and win the game. I will say that the Habs is one of my favorite teams, especially with all the old Stars which are old Habs, which are now Habs. Like Gainey, Carboneou (SP? I just don't care), I believe there are a couple more. Isn't muller a coach or something? Anyway, and they did play better after the fight which was really due to killing off the 5 on 3. The Habs should have been nowhere near competitive tonight as the Stars should have cleaned them up in the first. That didn't happen, Habs won... Good game
Look, if Ott can't drop the gloves now, then, don't run your mouth around, because someone will come challenge you and something like yesterday will happen!

Stewie is the man!

Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Hermamoud

Not that I'm complaining about Stewart's penalty, but I think that the refs should show a lot more consistency. Remember when Souray jumped Armstrong? Pittsburgh got a 7 minute power play. Stewart jumps Ott, he gets a 2 for roughing. Was there that much of a big difference between those two plays?

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

I'm surprised that he only got 4 mins

In a way, it was stupid...but I think it was needed.

I love Stewart

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:04 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
I guess you don't read this board too often. The main thing people have been asking from Laraque is to do exactly what Stewart did.
NO, he does.

If either of them did it and it cost the Habs a game or two, you'd all be crying out the other sides of your mouths.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
Not that I'm complaining about Stewart's penalty, but I think that the refs should show a lot more consistency. Remember when Souray jumped Armstrong? Pittsburgh got a 7 minute power play. Stewart jumps Ott, he gets a 2 for roughing. Was there that much of a big difference between those two plays?
Difference is Ott was throws 5 or 6 questionable hits a game. Armstrong is generally clean. When he Koivu, it was charging but it was a text book hit. This doesn't go unnoticed by officials.

Is it consistent not really but neither are many calls in hockey.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote