HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greg Stewart

Old
03-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Does anyone think that Stewart might make Kosto expandable next season?

I'm just wondering because I love Kosto and would like to keep him next year for depth on that fourth line (Laraque/Metro/Stewart/Kosto).
Unless Laraque shows more from now until the end, I think he, and not Kosto will be the one expendable. Instead of his damn code and buddy buddy relationships, he should focus on 1-intimidating 2-protecting and 3-get in shape so he can play more than 5-6 shifts a game.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Jigger77

Going after Ott like that was not only extremely satisfying to watch as a Habs fan after the way he ran around in the first period but, it was also the turning point in the game imho.

Awesome stuff. I loved how Carbo said after the game that Ott ran his mouth in front of the bench in the first and that he doesn't accept that.

That's the type of team I want to watch. You run around and yap and take shots at players, you will have to answer the bell.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:17 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

I have no problem with players taking these kind of penalties. Souray did it several times, taking the instigator and getting kicked out as well.

What Stewart did was good for team morale and his teammates appreciate it. I wish more players on our team did this and send a message that is unacceptable to take liberties with our goalies and star players. You don't do it in the playoffs or when making them is on the line but setting a tone early is important with guys like Ott, Avery, Hartnell. I'm glad someone finally stood up and said Homie don't play dat.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Pax Macioretty

<<Au début de la rencontre, Stewart s'est porté à la défense de ses coéquipiers Saku Koivu et Josh Gorges, après que ceux-ci eurent été frappé par Steve Ott.

C'est justement le type de réaction que l'instructeur souhaitait voir sur la glace dans une telle situation.

«Je pense qu'il a été le point tournant du match, a t-il dit. Il a envoyé un message clair aux Stars de Dallas.»>>

It's nice to see he doesn't mind the ruff stuff anymore, and i'm with everybody else, those kind of penalties are way worth it

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Habsolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
No he doesn't. I keep Kosto. We need more Kosto like players.
Guy, is that you ?

Habsolutely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
If the ref's and the league, had any amount of pride for themselves, the game or the teams.. they'd call an unsportsmanlike on Ott for being a pain in the ass and none of this would have happened.

I'm all for the role of being a pest, but begging guys to take your head off for the sake of a 2 minute penalty, isn't good for the game.

At least be a man and drop the gloves, after running around taking cheap shots at anyone in the way.

Exactly - Ott's behaviour is the epitome of unsportsmanlike conduct. The game doesn't need that kind of trash talking and running around. Animosity, grittiness, toughness - all of these things will still exist in the game, without the garbage players like Ott, Avery, et al.

Address this problem this summer, GM's. It's time to start using that unsportsmanlike call more often.

For now, our solution worked quite well yesterday. I wonder if Ott will be as chirpy next time we meet. Thanks for the morale boost, Greg!

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolutely View Post
Guy, is that you ?
Naw, it's Guy's wife. She likes Kosto too.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post

Exactly - Ott's behaviour is the epitome of unsportsmanlike conduct. The game doesn't need that kind of trash talking and running around. Animosity, grittiness, toughness - all of these things will still exist in the game, without the garbage players like Ott, Avery, et al.

Address this problem this summer, GM's. It's time to start using that unsportsmanlike call more often.
The GMs are meeting I believe this upcoming weekend for 3 days and fighting will be the #1 issue.

Just imaging how many more Otts and Averys will come out of the woodwork if they ban fighting.

I'm not a fan of fighting just for the sake of fighting personally but I am a fan of dropping them like that to intimidate a guy running his mouth.

Taking fighting out of the game will fundamentally change hockey more than people ever realize imo. Especially at the NHL level where players will do anything to win.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Going after Ott like that was not only extremely satisfying to watch as a Habs fan after the way he ran around in the first period but, it was also the turning point in the game imho.

Awesome stuff. I loved how Carbo said after the game that Ott ran his mouth in front of the bench in the first and that he doesn't accept that.

That's the type of team I want to watch. You run around and yap and take shots at players, you will have to answer the bell.
I think you can't forget the PK. That play could easily of cost Montreal the game. Now I love the spark he can create but you have to kill those penalties to get away with it. The PK was the turning point.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Unless Laraque shows more from now until the end, I think he, and not Kosto will be the one expendable. Instead of his damn code and buddy buddy relationships, he should focus on 1-intimidating 2-protecting and 3-get in shape so he can play more than 5-6 shifts a game.
Why would Laraque be the one expandable? We still need a heavyweight in the line-up. Any good line-up should have a mix of 1 heavyweight and 2 or 3 middleweights for immediate protection and redemption. Stewart does exactly what Kostopoulos can't, he wins fights, he doesn't lose the puck everytime he touches it, his passes are tape to tape. Stewart is chaeaper, younger and better then Kostopoulos and i hope that this year is the last we see of him. When Laraque isn't healthy he doesn't count againts the cap, but i think that surgery is the only option for him and hopefully be the end of all this non-sence

Old
03-09-2009, 01:56 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Why would Laraque be the one expandable? We still need a heavyweight in the line-up. Any good line-up should have a mix of 1 heavyweight and 2 or 3 middleweights for immediate protection and redemption. Stewart does exactly what Kostopoulos can't, he wins fights, he doesn't lose the puck everytime he touches it, his passes are tape to tape. Stewart is chaeaper, younger and better then Kostopoulos and i hope that this year is the last we see of him. When Laraque isn't healthy he doesn't count againts the cap, but i think that surgery is the only option for him and hopefully be the end of all this non-sence
That is incorrect. When a player is on IR he still counts against thew cap. You can replace that player with someone else of the same cap hit or lower but once the original player is back you must move salary to get back under the cap.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 01:57 PM
HotPie

Quote:
And Kostopolous can do what BGL can't.

Play hockey.

Honestly, it's Stewart who is making BGL expendable, not the other way around. Stewart can win fights AND play hockey.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
And Kostopolous can do what BGL can't.

Play hockey.

Honestly, it's Stewart who is making BGL expendable, not the other way around. Stewart can win fights AND play hockey.
Laraque doesn't and will never play on a 3rd line, as it's supose to be. We still need a heavyweight and like it or not Laraque is the best one in the damn league. What do you think will happen when we face the Caps, the Bruins or the flyers again....

Old
03-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Laraque doesn't and will never play on a 3rd line, as it's supose to be. We still need a heavyweight and like it or not Laraque is the best one in the damn league. What do you think will happen when we face the Caps, the Bruins or the flyers again....
I don't see what a preorganised fight can change anything to the outcome of the game

Stewart makes Laraque expendable

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I love Stewart!!

But we still need Georges Laraque. We need both of these guys on our fourth line. Like yesterday, Valabik was making his law, challenging every body on the ice and laughing at our players, as Boulton. If Laraque would have been there, Boulton or Valabik would have had a pretty good beating...!

So, we need Stewart to fight against all the middleweight and BGL for all the heavyweight on our fourth line!

What for??? To sit in the pressbox or to play 5 minutes a game and not fight with anybody??? Those are the only 2 things I seen BGL do this year consistantly.

BGL has been a HUGE disappointment and an even bigger waste of $1.5million a season. I want a fighter who TELLS guys that he is fighting with them, not asking them if they would like to fight. I want a goon who is borderline dirty, hits a lot, roughs it up, gives it to the stars of the other team to keep them off their game and someone who can skate well....BGL doesn't do any of that....or at least he hasn't yet.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I don't see what a preorganised fight can change anything to the outcome of the game

Stewart makes Laraque expendable
Do you remember that last cheapshot when Laraque was in the line-up? >Did you notice players like Neil, Brashear and Coté at all when they we're playing againts compared to last year. Huh... some peoples really need to take their heads out of their ***** when it comes to Laraque

Old
03-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
face if buddy Laraque has been a big bust. all those things you say he brings to the team, he brings them on his own terms for his own recreation. never to help the team, never to create a spark. only to fulfill his own hobby

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:16 PM
FinnHab

Stewart is a warrior! We desperately need guys like him

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm surprised that he only got 4 mins

In a way, it was stupid...but I think it was needed.

I love Stewart
I hate Fraser but I have to give him kudos for that. It could have been 5 and a 10.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 04:01 PM
madbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Difference is Ott was throws 5 or 6 questionable hits a game. Armstrong is generally clean. When he Koivu, it was charging but it was a text book hit. This doesn't go unnoticed by officials.

Is it consistent not really but neither are many calls in hockey.
Ott was a one man wrecking crew, as a Habs fan I felt embarassed watching him bowling over everyone with no response, until Stewart said **** this. Still surprised he didn't get more though... Thankfully it worked out between a good PK and a terrible Stars PP.

Uh oh someone got fired. HF is gonna crash.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:21 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I freaking love this guy. He's a pitbull on skates.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:28 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

he need a new number he's not an OL for the alouettes

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:54 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
He's pretty much what a good 4th liner is all about. He will stay with the team and play his heart out in the playoffs for sure.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Biggsy

Likin' stewarts effort and he's having some good tilts too

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:55 PM

Greg Stewart stole Steve Bégin's job...

Habs needed a guy with size, who could play, skate and not hurt the team defensively AND defend himself/teamates

417 is offline   Reply With Quote