HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(#66): 3/8/2009 Boston Bruins @ New York Rangers 12:30pm NBC (HD)

Old
03-08-2009, 02:35 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Nice. Lundqvist let in a softie and we still won. That's a rarity. I mean yeah, Chara has a howitzer of a slapshot and it was just over the pad (which are tough shots), but he still has to save that. He had a clear view.

I like where this team is heading. Imagine the Renny/ Pearn Rangers where the softie would've cost us the game.
As Hank usually would have stopped that, its a Chara bomb. I dont think you can call it soft.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:35 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

On the Avery penalty:

1) It was a straight-up hustle play and Avery was 110 percent right for giving that kind of effort

2) The rule is fairly new in terms of chasing down an icing and i am totally in agreement with prevent hits off of icings

3) Avery is at fault for not knowing the rule. Just like in the NBA and NFL, it's also important that the coaching staff reminds the players of these rules late in games.

4) Why was Betts icing the puck anyway?

5) 2-0 with Avery in the lineup.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Black Aces

On a side note, I found it funny how the NBC guys were so surprised with our new style of play.

Nice to know they did their homework and watched us a little before to day.

oh..and f doc emrick.

Black Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:38 PM
NYRSchrute217

We're now only 4 points behind Philadelphia, but they have 2 games in hand. It would be HUGE to catch them and get home ice in the first round.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:39 PM
ThirdEye

So I'm guessing Vally will be in net tomorrow? We need a strong performance out him... Carolina has been putting them in the net by the half-dozen

Fernandez wasn't that bad today. He gave up 3 soft goals, but he made a lot of quality stops as well. It wouldn't have mattered if this game was coached by Renney, because those chances that the Rangers capatalized on would probably never have even happened. No, I'm not being harsh... he was simply not the right coach for this years team.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:40 PM
skymachine

I dont understand all this "Rangers didnt deserve to win". They were the better, more physical, more aggressive team. The first period was fairly even (even though if the Rangers could hit the net here it would look differently), the second was allll Rangers, and the third only went in the Bruins favor for the first 5 mins or so.

Rangers definitley generated their chances this afternoon, got some bounces, and deserved the 2 points.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
ESPN: New York is 28-3-2 when scoring at least three goals

Incredible.
Woah.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:44 PM
ThirdEye

By the way, am I the only one who just noticed that Naslund played today?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:44 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
We're now only 4 points behind Philadelphia, but they have 2 games in hand. It would be HUGE to catch them and get home ice in the first round.
The best/worst thing about that is the number 4...

...as in 4 more games vs. them. Their 2 games in hand might not matter if things go our way down the stretch.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
As Hank usually would have stopped that, its a Chara bomb. I dont think you can call it soft.
Yeah, I acknowledge Chara has one of the hardest shots in the game, it was indeed a cannon and very well placed. Goaltenders don't want to save pucks where it went in.

Let's just call it a "Lundqvist softie" then? At least by his standards. But it wasn't exactly like it flubbed in.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Woah.
Show that to the "let's bash henrik crowd"

He has also lost I would guess....10 games where he gave up 2 or less.

Old
03-08-2009, 02:51 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I am a critic and I definitely noticed it. I want him to do it more and consistently.

I just won't flip out because he did something right. Maybe he learned his lesson today. But you can't deny he's had a really really rough stretch overall.
yes he had a bad stretch, but that doesn't mean you have to blame everything on him. you wouldn't have blamed that high-sticking penalty on anybody had it not been girardi, and that's the problem i have.
and it's not just girardi, it was kalinin, voros or malik before: there has to be a scapegoat on the team who just does everything wrong and can't do right, and gets blamed for things that nobody else on the team would get blamed for.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:51 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
By the way, am I the only one who just noticed that Naslund played today?
He made a couple of bonehead plays but he tried to throw the body a few times.

He is what he is. He's reserved and not flashy. But for right now he's a solid winger and I just want him to shoot more.

Old
03-08-2009, 02:54 PM
jniklast

Quote:
So I'm guessing Vally will be in net tomorrow? We need a strong performance out him... Carolina has been putting them in the net by the half-dozen

Fernandez wasn't that bad today. He gave up 3 soft goals, but he made a lot of quality stops as well. It wouldn't have mattered if this game was coached by Renney, because those chances that the Rangers capatalized on would probably never have even happened. No, I'm not being harsh... he was simply not the right coach for this years team.
i hope not. that game will be even more crucial than today. i'm hoping for vally to get one of the back-to-back flyers games next weekend. he looked pretty decent against them in the past.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
i hope not. that game will be even more crucial than today. i'm hoping for vally to get one of the back-to-back flyers games next weekend. he looked pretty decent against them in the past.
I agree with this.

Old
03-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Pizza

Listening to an interview Torts did got me thinking.

If this team plays to it's potential, they can go a long way. Very simply, the best players contribute. If we had decent production (say 7 goals each) from Gomer, Dru, Z, Antro, Cally, and Naslund we would average more than 3 goals per game the rest of the way.

A few more from the likes of Avery, Dubi, Korps and Rosi (if he ever shoots) and we'll be more than fine.

In the last two games we're right on track.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:01 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Henrik is one win away from another 30 win season

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
So I'm guessing Vally will be in net tomorrow?
hell no.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:05 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
If we had decent production (say 7 goals each) from Gomer, Dru, Z, Antro, Cally, and Naslund we would average more than 3 goals per game the rest of the way.

Dude, there are 16 games left. It is about 50/50 that 1 guy nets 7 goals. If all of our top six forwards were to do that i dont see us losing another game.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:16 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

3 game winning streak

Good game overall by the team, except for that 10 minutes in the 3rd we looked good against the top team in the league.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:17 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
yes he had a bad stretch, but that doesn't mean you have to blame everything on him. you wouldn't have blamed that high-sticking penalty on anybody had it not been girardi, and that's the problem i have.
and it's not just girardi, it was kalinin, voros or malik before: there has to be a scapegoat on the team who just does everything wrong and can't do right, and gets blamed for things that nobody else on the team would get blamed for.

That's not true at all. I have been critical (when warranted) of every player on this team one way or another. I don't just single out people for the sake of doing it. In fact I think I am not in the minority of people on here who thinks this team grossly underachieved for most of this season.

Please show me one instance where i wasn't critical of a player who made as bad a play as Girardi did. My personal favorites (Callahan, Dubinsky and Korpikoski) have all been criticized by me when warranted.

I dont mean to single Girardi out at all. It just gets compounded when most of the team is playing at or above their ability the last few games while Girardi hasn't.

I mean, come on man. The guy has zero goals and 1 assist in his last 40-plus games. That is a major major funk for a top-4 defenseman playing 18-20 mins a night.

But in all honesty, I think he is a 6th defenseman at best. I just think for 1.5 million or whatever he makes, we could have somebody a little more consistent.

Old
03-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Girardi has been terrible for a while now, and after his hot start I don't even remember the last time he had scored a point.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:21 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
People complaining about Fernandez need to understand that Lundqvist let in a dog **** goal himself. Chara's goal was terrible, and completely turned the momentum of the game. This game was very, very evenly played, and you definitely can't assume that the outcome would have been different with just the insertion of Thomas. No way.

I'm getting tired of people minimizing good efforts by the Rangers.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:21 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
ESPN: New York is 28-3-2 when scoring at least three goals

Incredible.
how many % is this above average wins for when scoring 3.... that's the question. I guess a fair bit - when you have an elite goalie, that's what you get

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:23 PM
eco's bones

This is more like a kind of game where I can believe we might actually have turned the corner. Hopefully that doesn't mean we don't have a lethargic effort against Carolina tomorrow. With respect to the Islander and Avalanche teams--they're just not that good. The Bruins were a real test. It may have been different though if Thomas had played but the Rangers are definitely playing with a lot more pizzazz since Tortorella and Schoenfeld took over. In retrospect I'll go from a position of more on the fence about a coaching change and outright anger at our veteran go to players to Tortorella seems to have lit a fire and got them at least playing to their capabilities whether they're worth their huge contracts or not. So it's been very good so far though we still have moments where we get too sloppy. Thankfully Fernandez was in the net today for Boston. Even so our team looks much more competitive and I really like Antropov's size though sometimes he has mental breakdowns. What a difference though his 6' 6" body makes.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote