HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Thread About Nothing (Part 11)

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2009, 01:18 PM
DevilsFan38

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Uber View Post
I'd go with the Blackberry. Don't get me wrong, I like the iPhone but I think for "professional" use, Blackberry's are better. When do yo need to get it by? Because I believe Apple is releasing a new iPhone in June.
Ugh. Rotations start June 1st, and I was hoping to have it a few weeks before than to get used to it.

Old
03-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm with Das Uber. thats the other vibe i got. iPhones are cool and all. But there are so many "apps" that you don't need. There is a lot of customization involved.

I've generally felt like the Blackberry gets the job done, and its more to the point. iPhone might have a greater upside, but not sure if you need that upside.

Old
03-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
Okay, so now that you guys have helped me with my exercise dilemma, how about some help with my phone dilemma?

I have to have a smartphone for my third year of medical school, so I'm looking to buy one in the next month or two. I pretty much have it narrowed down to the iPhone or the Blackberry Bold - any thoughts/opinions you guys have? If you have one of them, do you like it or hate it (and why)?
if you do alot of typing get the Blackberry otherwise get the iPhone. The two are very similar in terms of what offered obviously the touch screen being the difference.

Old
03-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
I'd go with the Blackberry. Don't get me wrong, I like the iPhone but I think for "professional" use, Blackberry's are better. When do yo need to get it by? Because I believe Apple is releasing a new iPhone in June.
I keep hearing that the new iPhone is going to be entry level and stripped down for a more diverse market appeal especially now since its sold at Wal*Mart.

Old
03-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Miss Nieds View Post
Is this the year Microsoft decides to fix my Xbox without giving me any ****?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1&sku=M17-9200

$159 20gig xbox 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
Okay, so now that you guys have helped me with my exercise dilemma, how about some help with my phone dilemma?
LG Voyager ftw. flip up qwerty keypad for txting; video/picture/email/ and the clencher - Webcast TV. Watch NBC/ESPN/Comedy Central anytime you want for $15 a month (handy for playoff and weekend hockey).

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Old
03-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
I'm with Das Uber. thats the other vibe i got. iPhones are cool and all. But there are so many "apps" that you don't need. There is a lot of customization involved.

I've generally felt like the Blackberry gets the job done, and its more to the point. iPhone might have a greater upside, but not sure if you need that upside.
Yea, I know people who have trouble accessing their work e-mail because the iPhone has issues with certain e-mail clients. Plus I think the fact that you can't swap out the battery and the lack of an external memory card slot can be a pain in the ass for someone who uses it for work.

Old
03-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1&sku=M17-9200

$159 20gig xbox 360

LG Voyager ftw. flip up qwerty keypad for txting; video/picture/email/ and the clencher - Webcast TV. Watch NBC/ESPN/Comedy Central anytime you want for $15 a month (handy for playoff and weekend hockey).
My sister has that phone I hate it.

Old
03-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Also... is the iPhone only AT&T still? This is not a problem for some of my friends, as one lives in Jersey City and the other in Manhattan... and Manhattan has some of the best service.

But once you move away from that hub, you service may suffer.

Old
03-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzrule27 View Post
My sister has that phone I hate it.
my mom of all people got it and she only needs a basic phone for talking - none of the 'bells and whistles'. I really like it save the size of it but that's any smartphone nowadays.

I am really looking hard at the Archos mobile players too - you can use them in a wifi hotspot and watch streaming tv from your media center at home and connect them to DISH receivers too... this could spell all kinds of non-productivity at work...

Old
03-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Aren't they adowable?

Old
03-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

Quote:
Aren't they adowable?

they're eating the endangered seals!

Old
03-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
Also... is the iPhone only AT&T still? This is not a problem for some of my friends, as one lives in Jersey City and the other in Manhattan... and Manhattan has some of the best service.

But once you move away from that hub, you service may suffer.
everyone complains about that but I live out in Warren County and my coverage is great. Hell I even got 3G out here. My sister has verizon and her coverage is hit or miss with a lot of deadzones. Even at her house in Sussex she only gets a bar or 2 while I'm getting full coverage. The only spot I've ever lost my coverage with AT&T is down in my Florida home. The only carrier that comes in there is Sprint.

Old
03-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
my mom of all people got it and she only needs a basic phone for talking - none of the 'bells and whistles'. I really like it save the size of it but that's any smartphone nowadays.

I am really looking hard at the Archos mobile players too - you can use them in a wifi hotspot and watch streaming tv from your media center at home and connect them to DISH receivers too... this could spell all kinds of non-productivity at work...
The phone I want is the HTC Touch Diamond 2. That phone looks so awesome but is mad expensive since it's only available unlocked and not from a carrier. Also one of my friends has the G1 Android and that is perhaps one of my favourite phones i'ver ever used.

We used to have some of those Archos things at Best Buy a year ago. If I had the money to burn I would so get one.

Old
03-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Cowbell232

I don't like the feel of the iPhone. I feel like I'm going to break it easily. It's too much a toy then a professional business tool, in my opinion. The media has it portrayed as 'the it thing' to have, but I just don't like it.

I have a Blackberry Storm that I love, and I've had a lot of people who like various Blackberrys.

I work in IT, by the way.

Old
03-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

I wish that blackberry storm was webcast tv capable - i'd get that in a minute.

Old
03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzrule27 View Post
The phone I want is the HTC Touch Diamond 2. That phone looks so awesome but is mad expensive since it's only available unlocked and not from a carrier. Also one of my friends has the G1 Android and that is perhaps one of my favourite phones i'ver ever used.

We used to have some of those Archos things at Best Buy a year ago. If I had the money to burn I would so get one.
http://news.cnet.com/2300-17938_105-10000382-1.html

Old
03-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
I wish that blackberry storm was webcast tv capable - i'd get that in a minute.
AFAIK Verizon is working on getting their Vcast software to work on all Blackberrys, so it may just happen yet.

Old
03-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

My Parise authentic jersey came today. Very nice... (and a tad large... perhaps a 44 or 46 would have been a perfect fit).

Old
03-09-2009, 02:42 PM
One7nine

I don't like that my blackberry is not video enabled.

Old
03-09-2009, 02:49 PM
GhostofKenKlee

Blackberry for Work and work server emails. Because it's seamless and the Storm is and has the potential to raise the bar for handhelds outside the IPHONE market. If you need a phone for outside of work emails, it's an IPHONE.

I find the ********* quotient raises empirically with IPHONE users. I was out over the weekend with a few buddies and others and the ones with IPHONES with real nozzles and one company I deal with banned employess from bringing them to meetings. Blame on the countless thousands of APPS. Especially ones that can pull up photos of homes and exotic locales. They are way too distracting.

The Sirius/XM app is rumored to be coming out and if that's the case, I may have to go full blown ********* and get one as well.

Old
03-09-2009, 02:50 PM
GhostofKenKlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by One7nine View Post
I don't like that my blackberry is not video enabled.
The newer generations are 3G, do you have the Curve?

Old
03-09-2009, 02:51 PM
GhostofKenKlee

Quote:
they're eating the endangered seals!
Me thinks they ate some Greenpeace activist/Hippie dogooders trying to save them.

Old
03-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Nice combining the best of both phones. Me like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
I don't like the feel of the iPhone. I feel like I'm going to break it easily. It's too much a toy then a professional business tool, in my opinion. The media has it portrayed as 'the it thing' to have, but I just don't like it.

I have a Blackberry Storm that I love, and I've had a lot of people who like various Blackberrys.

I work in IT, by the way.
I got to use the Storm a lot at best buy and I must say I hate that click screen.

Old
03-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josetheodore View Post
Blackberry for Work and work server emails. Because it's seamless and the Storm is and has the potential to raise the bar for handhelds outside the IPHONE market. If you need a phone for outside of work emails, it's an IPHONE.

I find the ********* quotient raises empirically with IPHONE users. I was out over the weekend with a few buddies and others and the ones with IPHONES with real nozzles and one company I deal with banned employess from bringing them to meetings. Blame on the countless thousands of APPS. Especially ones that can pull up photos of homes and exotic locales. They are way too distracting.

The Sirius/XM app is rumored to be coming out and if that's the case, I may have to go full blown ********* and get one as well.
Doesn't BB already have an XM app?

Old
03-09-2009, 02:57 PM
GhostofKenKlee

Quote:
Doesn't BB already have an XM app?
Yes, it's a seperate fee service and for 25 stations, all of which are music. They give it out for free for 30 days. However, the stream is very spotty.

The IPHONE app is supposedly the cat's meow and would make the $2.99 a month worth paying.

Closed Thread