HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Havlat hurt again

Old
03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
thatonekid

vCash: 500
I'm not surprised by this. I'm actually more surprised that he stayed healthy for this long.

thatonekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 05:33 PM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
too bad

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:01 PM
ClubSandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Wow Alfie and Havlat tore the Sabres into ****. I wish Havlat was still on the Sens and that the Sens could put up that kind of offense. The stats in the end of the vid are just crazy (in a good way).
Buffalo turned the corner after that game though and went on to eliminate us that season. Didn't help that Havlat got injured by Ryder of all people and was gone the majority of that sason. Ugh, what could have been.

ClubSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Kamina
Amok

It's the first time he's been injured this season, so the thread title is slightly misleading.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Jackie Treehorn

i'm also finding it incredible he's made it this long injury free. It's a shame too cause he can really play, but his body just can't seem to hold up, and i think it will cost him this summer

Last edited by Jackie Treehorn: 03-09-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:20 PM
King City Warrior

you know he may only miss at maxiumum zero or one game, it's that minor, despite all the horrid things mentioned in here.

King City Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:07 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King City Warrior View Post
you know he may only miss at maxiumum zero or one game, it's that minor, despite all the horrid things mentioned in here.
we had him for years a day-to-day injury turns into 2 months with him pretty regularly

IdiotsPickedMyName* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Ziostilon

im not a Sens fan...

but are you guys satisfied with the Havlat trade

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 03:05 AM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
im not a Sens fan...

No, we got next to nothing in that deal, the value we got in return was awful. Only useful piece we got back is a 2nd round pick which turned out to be Patrick Wiercioch.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 03:24 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

I am so sick and tired of people saying we got nothing out of the Havlat trade.
Wiercioch looks like a very decent prospect.
But most of all, we got Tom Preissing out of it. I know he wasn't the best d-man but he put up 38 points with a +/- of 40 in the regular season and seven points in the playoffs (and still maintaining a +3)! He was absolute dynamite with the Senators and he was a huge part of the Senators cup run.
I always felt that his departure left the biggest hole in the roster for the 2007-2008 season. Not because he was indispensable but because the team's success in 2007 came from being able to exert constant pressure on the opposing team, and Tom Preissing gave the team the ability to have three parings that were able to give all four forward lines more than adequate support.
Tom Preissing is the most under appreciated player in the Ottawa Senators' history I'd say. He was basically like Corvo, but he was used in a much more appropriate fashion.
Murray decided not to keep him and that's, by far, my biggest issue with Bryan. Apparently they couldn't stand each other, but Murray should have been the bigger man and recognized the fact that he wasn't going to have to coach Preissing anymore and did what he could to keep him.
I know Preissing is doing awful in LA, I'm not saying he's the best player we ever had. All I'm saying he was the best third pairing d-man we ever had and he gave the team an incredible amount of depth in the backend considering that, like Clouston has shown, the Ottawa Senators need to play offense to win games. Preissing might not have liked Ottawa, but he thrived as a player here. He chose to leave because he's a lazy bum I guess, a guy who doesn't strive to be better; but he was a major part of the team's success when he was here.

Last edited by Do Make Say Think: 05-06-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 05:43 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
im not a Sens fan...

Heck no! Muckler screwed us on the deal!

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 05:48 AM
JimmyPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I am so sick and tired of people saying we got nothing out of the Havlat trade.
Wiercioch looks like a very decent prospect.
But most of all, we got Tom Preissing out of it. I know he wasn't the best d-man but he put up 38 points with a +/- of 40 in the regular season and seven points in the playoffs (and still maintaining a +3)! He was absolute dynamite with the Senators and he was a huge part of the Senators cup run.
I always felt that his departure left the biggest hole in the roster for the 2007-2008 season. Not because he was indispensable but because the team's success in 2007 came from being able to exert constant pressure on the opposing team, and Tom Preissing gave the team the ability to have three parings that were able to give all four forward lines more than adequate support.
Tom Preissing is the most under appreciated player in the Ottawa Senators' history I'd say. He was basically like Corvo, but he was used in a much more appropriate fashion.
Murray decided not to keep him and that's, by far, my biggest issue with Bryan. Apparently they couldn't stand each other, but Murray should have been the bigger man and recognized the fact that he wasn't going to have to coach Preissing anymore and did what he could to keep him.
I know Preissing is doing awful in LA, I'm not saying he's the best player we ever had. All I'm saying he was the best third pairing d-man we ever had and he gave the team an incredible amount of depth in the backend considering that, like Clouston has shown, the Ottawa Senators need to play offense to win games. Preissing might not have liked Ottawa, but he thrived as a player here. He chose to leave because he's a lazy bum I guess, a guy who doesn't strive to be better; but he was a major part of the team's success when he was here.

I was a big fan of Preissing, I liked him better than Corvo and like you, I was sorry to see him go and thought it was a mistake. Having said that, Tom Preissing is not even close to being worth a Martin Havlat. And we got lucky with the 2nd rounder because we have someone who knows how to draft. Nonetheless, we got bent over by Chicago in the trade. For a guy who's talent-level garners a top salary in his day, we got Barinka (where is he?), Hennessy (where is he?), Preissing & a 2nd. It is the main reason I am cheering AGAINST Chicago in the POs.

JimmyPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:33 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
im not a Sens fan...

At the time I was less than enthused, but Preissing ended up playing a fairly big role for us the year we went to the Cup Finals. We lost him that summer for nothing though (UFA).

As for Barinka, nothing came of that whatsoever. A bust with a capital B.

Josh Hennessy, while not a bust, it appears is only good for our AHL team. Which isn't a totally bad thing, the AHL team needs to continue to progress into a playoff team - and he'll help.

BUT...here's where the trade changes from a collective 'meh' to way more even - if not even slanted towards Ottawa. With Chicago's 2nd round pick, Bryan Murray and his scouts chose Patrick Wiecioch, who had one of the most successful seasons ever as a freshman D-man in the NCAA (Denver). He grew from 6'1" to 6'4" the summer we drafter him and absolutely dominated in the NCAA according to scouting reports and Denver fans.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=102405

And while Wiercioch is far from a slam dunk blue chip prospect, he's showing more and more signs of being a future rock solid defender for Ottawa. Perhaps the Ying to Erik Karlsson's Yang.

I've become a big fan of this prospect, so with that in mind - I now wouldn't undo this trade for anything.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:20 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
Would you let Volchenkov go if you knew it resulted in Hossa coming back?
No - but ask me after we meet him in the post-season

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:26 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

In the cap world, people have to think in monetary terms sometimes.

Not a great trade, but a top 6 defenceman for $600 K opened up room for other players, like Mike Comrie.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:44 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
In the cap world, people have to think in monetary terms sometimes.

Not a great trade, but a top 6 defenceman for $600 K opened up room for other players, like Mike Comrie.
Yup, I was just going to say that a part of that trade that people always choose to omit is that it was made largely to get some cap space.

It doesn't mean he couldn't have done a bit better, but that cap space ended up being valuable...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:23 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
HES BACK TO NORMAL!!

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:39 AM
MatthewT

I thought Havlat was done for the playoffs when I seen this thread pop back up....

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
I know people like to keep tabs on former Senators players, but he's been out of our organization for almost 3 years now. Time to let go and not care. His impact here wasn't that significant imo that whenever something happens to him, we need a thread. I can't even imagine what it will be like if/when Volchenkov leaves....
Could you not just skip over or ignore a thread if you don't like it? It's not like a thread discussing a former Sens player getting injured is taking away from any other discussions in this forum.

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Easy to say

In the summer of 2007.

Redden couldn't be move because of his NTC.
Gerber couldn't be move because he sucked too much, that was his NTC.
Philchenkov were untouchable.
Meszaros and Lee were the future on our blue line,

And we were one year away from seeing Spezza, Vermette (RFA) Heatley, Fisher (UFA) become free agents.

How do you make cap room for Preissing?

The #1 priority was to make cap room to sing our core free agents, not guys like Preissing or Comrie to multi year deals.

Quote:
im not a Sens fan...

Hated it. We needed a goaltender and we had the perfect trade bait to get it. instead, Muckler got a 3rd pairing defenseman, a career AHL'er and a pick for Havlat and gave a huge, long and dumb contract to a joke of a goaltender in Gerber. That pick may end up being the best thing out of this trade.

Last edited by Senateurs: 05-06-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Since we traded one of the best talents in the league for sweet ***** all, i would say no, im not pleased with this trade. Then, today, or until Havlat retires.

He was the most exciting player the Sens have ever had and maybe even the most talented.
There arent very many players that can do the things Havlat does on the ice, and some of things he does no one else can do.

Everytime i see him play for Chicago i feel like they stole him from us, and it pisses me off that he doesnt still play for us.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post
And while Wiercioch is far from a slam dunk blue chip prospect, he's showing more and more signs of being a future rock solid defender for Ottawa. Perhaps the Ying to Erik Karlsson's Yang.
ffffffffuuuuuuu--

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Hossa

What's done is done, and talking about what we should have done in hindsight doesn't really get us anywhere.

In terms of what was acquired, the trade would not have been so bad if we got better prospects than Hennessy and Barinka. Why we acquired Barinka in the first place I don't know, he was a marginal prospect at best. Hennessy had some upside and hasn't panned out, but the trade would have looked better if we'd at least gotten something with some real upside in the trade. Preissing was solid for one year, but he wasn't going to be an impact player. If the second is a first, or one of the prospects was a bit better, I would have felt better than and probably would now. I never liked the trade for that reason, the biggest piece was Preissing, who even if he had been extended, was still a third pairing guy.

Now, just to indulge my imagination, if I was planning for the future of this team over again, I would unequivocally have traded Mike Fisher over Martin Havlat a few years ago. Knowing that we had to establish our core and lock it up, I would have kept Havlat over Fisher without a doubt. Havlat may have been injury prone, but Fisher just does not bring enough offence consistently anyways, and when he's cold, which he was most of this year, he's a third liner, not a core player. Understandably Havlat went for 6M in Chicago, with less term, but I don't think it's illogical to suggest that a five year deal at a slightly higher figure than what Fisher got (two years later to be fair) would have kept Havlat on this team. So if I had a do-over, and I might have done this originally but what do I know, that's the decision I would have made. I probably did not take in to account or ignored factors which make my scenario implausible if not impossible, but that's why it's just for fun and gets us nowhere.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 05:20 PM
porknbeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
Since we traded one of the best talents in the league for sweet ***** all, i would say no, im not pleased with this trade. Then, today, or until Havlat retires.

He was the most exciting player the Sens have ever had and maybe even the most talented.
There arent very many players that can do the things Havlat does on the ice, and some of things he does no one else can do.

Everytime i see him play for Chicago i feel like they stole him from us, and it pisses me off that he doesnt still play for us.
Havlat and Chara were victims of the cap. Something i was completely opposed to for years before it actually was a reality. Thats what happens most of the time - losing elite players for nothing. Look at Ottawa now, nice and Mediocre, 3-4 years after the cap came into play, which is exactly what most people should have seen coming.

porknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 06:00 PM
vdB

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans View Post
Havlat and Chara were victims of the cap. Something i was completely opposed to for years before it actually was a reality. Thats what happens most of the time - losing elite players for nothing. Look at Ottawa now, nice and Mediocre, 3-4 years after the cap came into play, which is exactly what most people should have seen coming.
Very true. But is that really a bad thing??? I think the cap is the best thing that ever happend to hockey, wayyy more competitive and a big reason why I'm a fan of Bettman (there's not too many out there.)

To me, the lockout was the best, and worst thing that ever happend in hockey. Huge pain, but big payoff. The product is so much better now.

Tbay got screwed over the most when it came to the salary cap. 2004 had to be the worst time to win a cup.

vdB is offline   Reply With Quote