HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lever named Assistant Coach

Old
03-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Lever won't be able to do in the bigs what he did not a long time ago.....calling out his players in the medias and even naming them.....

Quote:
“I don’t want to use that as an excuse because there’s no excuse for the way some of the guys played. Kemp, Trotter, and Kostitsyn, were just awful. Desharnais was bad and Maxwell never showed up all weekend.”
http://www.thespec.com/article/518336

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab73 View Post
What kind of hockey Lever likes? Trap or highly offensive game?
More of a trap imo. Plus he seems to love the hard working players and will bash the lazy skilled players, as he's done several times in the past with Corey Locke, Brock Trotter and others.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
More of a trap imo. Plus he seems to love the hard working players and will bash the lazy skilled players, as he's done several times in the past with Corey Locke, Brock Trotter and others.
Which is then absolutely NOT what we're looking for?

Old
03-10-2009, 12:00 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Which is then absolutely NOT what we're looking for?
I have no idea what he will be doing in the nhl, just know what i've seen in Hamilton. I was never a big fan of Lever's as I don't like the way he calls out his plays in the media but I'm sure Gainey knows what he's doing. If Lever were coach, I would guess he would drive fans nuts as he changes lines during the game so often you see someone on one line for a little and later he'll be with 2 totally different players. Plus one thing that's been constant in Hamilton since he's been there, or so it appears to me, is that the Dogs PP struggles a lot.

I think it's good that he knows so many of the young players on the team, and I assume he will work well with them.

Old
03-10-2009, 12:03 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
I have no idea what he will be doing in the nhl, just know what i've seen in Hamilton. I was never a big fan of Lever's as I don't like the way he calls out his plays in the media but I'm sure Gainey knows what he's doing. If Lever were coach, I would guess he would drive fans nuts as he changes lines during the game so often you see someone on one line for a little and later he'll be with 2 totally different players. Plus one thing that's been constant in Hamilton since he's been there, or so it appears to me, is that the Dogs PP struggles a lot.

I think it's good that he knows so many of the young players on the team, and I assume he will work well with them.
Gainey needs him because he knows the kids from Hamilton + he can run training sessions as well as any NHL assistant coaches.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Gainey needs him because he knows the kids from Hamilton + he can run training sessions as well as any NHL assistant coaches.
Makes a lot of sense, will be strange though to see 4 guys behind the bench, as I assume that's the case.

Old
03-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Makes a lot of sense, will be strange though to see 4 guys behind the bench, as I assume that's the case.
Seems that it was confirmed that as of now, Lever will be watching from upstairs.

Source: Martin McGuire CKAC.

Old
03-10-2009, 12:38 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Seems that it was confirmed that as of now, Lever will be watching from upstairs.

Maybe he will watch few games from the box, and then he might join Gainey behind the bench.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:39 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:

Makes sense. Four guys on the bench would make things a little cramped. Plus, Lever will be able to take in a big picture view of the game which can be tough to do with all the line-changes and bench management going on on the bench during a game.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Pat

Quote:

François Gagnon on his blog seems to say different. he says Muller was not at today's practise and might be the odd man out...and maybe as soon as today?????

ahhhh, never mind my post. I was reading the report of today,s practise on CKAC's website and it's written that Muller was there

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Originalsix

Hmmmm he's got a daughter, who is also an Olympian, and she's cute

http://www.olympic.ca/Beijing2008/EN/614/Athletes.htm

Originalsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Newhabfan

So he was a third overall pick with 13+ seasons played and 14+ years in NHL coaching ? He should know what he's doing.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:42 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

exactly what the Habs needed !

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:28 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Lever won't be able to do in the bigs what he did not a long time ago.....calling out his players in the medias and even naming them.....

http://www.thespec.com/article/518336
You have never seen a NHL coach call out players before...hello?

They do it all the time.

To me it is only logical that Lever is the head coach next year.

There what a half dozen to a dozen players that have played under Don and how many will graduate to the Habs next year with our crazy amount of UFA's and spots being opened to the ones not being re-signed?

Players under Don;
Goalies
Price and Halak

Defense
O'Byrne

Forwards
Lapierre, MaxPac, D'Ago, AK, SK, Stewart

Not to mention call ups Chipchura, Weber, Henry, Maxwell and Denis as well.

The guy has as much or more familiarity with this team as the current staff in Montreal, and has won with these kids and has played good hockey with a young team in the AHL as well.

This is our man.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-10-2009 at 06:41 PM.
RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:44 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post

They do it all the time.
you don't do that when you are just a rookie head coach . You need to gain the respect of the players before .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post

They do it all the time.
Therrien was already in the doghouse the day he called out his players without even taking the time to be called a rookie coach.

Any rookie coach who'll do it will be lynched right after. I meant as a rookie. But even as a vet, sorry but that's not something I hear that often, at least not the way he said it.

Old
03-10-2009, 03:28 PM
deandebean

Lever is there to close out the season in helping Bob with practices and such. Nothing more.

Lever was to be lynched 2 seasons ago, before Price went on a tear and won the Cup.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote