HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Bertuzzi Press Conference

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2004, 09:05 PM
charliemurphy

vCash: 500
Bertuzzi Press Conference

Can't stop crying or apologizing in front of all the cameras.
He should have thought of that before his ridiculous cheap shot.

Old
03-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Russian_fanatic

Give the man a break I would like you to go up their after you did that and see how you would feel !

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 03-10-2004 at 10:37 PM.
Old
03-10-2004, 09:12 PM
cyrisweb

You've never made a mistake in your entire life? You've never acted impulsively on emotion??

ya... that's what I thought....

hypocrite

Old
03-10-2004, 09:14 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Good to see him show remorse...

but he has to be suspended for the rest of the season and playoffs. Retaliation is one thing. But, that was a cheap and dirty play, and Bertuzzi HAS to be held accountable for his actions.

Old
03-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Adriatic

I'd give him a break too but this is becoming a repetitive thing with Bertuzzi. He already smashed another player's head to the ice a few years back, and he also once jumped from the bench to join a fight and got 10 games for that....at one point you gotta take responsibility. And it's not like Moore gave him a cheap shot and he just reacted impulsively....he hassled and skated after him for a good 10-12 seconds. Moore is not even a fighter or a physical player. He deserves everything he gets and more. At one point you have to get it through your head you can't do stupid things like this, and he shoudn't get a break.

Old
03-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
I'd feel bad for him if he went in and took him out with a clean hit...hell, even if the hit was dirty, it still would be worlds more acceptable then what he pulled.

Let him cry

Old
03-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Fitzlax99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb
You've never made a mistake in your entire life? You've never acted impulsively on emotion??

ya... that's what I thought....

hypocrite
What exactly is hypocritical about what he said? That he should have thought about the consequences before assaulting someone? You disagree with that?

As for acting "impulsively", please dont bring that idiotic argument to this board. Bertuzzi was wrong for what he did, and people shouldnt make excuses for him.

Old
03-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
Give the man a break you numb nut I would like you to go up their after you did that and see how you would feel !

He won't get a break from me and I sure as hell hope he won't from the NHL or local police.

First of all, I wouldn't have done that at all. Take the man out semi-cleanly at least. If you can't throw a clean hit and crush him with your 6'3", 245-lb body, then take him out with a dirty hockey hit. Don't chase him around and tug at his jersey from behind and sucker punch him. It's not as if Steve Moore is way bigger or tougher than Todd Bertuzzi. What a cowardly way of doing such a cowardly act.

Secondly, Moore's hit was debatable. I still say it wasn't a cheap shot -- the man didn't leave his feet or lead with the elbow -- although it should have been an interference call. The Bertuzzi incident was despicable. Steve Moore is far from a goon. Hockey is hockey, but Bertuzzi crossed the line when he blatantly put Steve Moore's life at risk. This isn't a hard hockey hit -- this is a BROKEN NECK, which 9 times out of 10, leads to at least partial paralysis -- Steve Moore may never be able to play with his future kids and grandkids, or even walk again. All because of a borderline hit that wasn't planned? Please.

I hope the law comes down hard on Bertuzzi. I used to have a great deal of respect for him as a player, but this has really brought that level of respect down to none.

The NHL should punish him by making him play a year without a helmet and see what the Avs do to him when he does.

On a good note, Steve Moore was in good spirits, and able to smile and "gingerly" shake hands. He even cracked a joke about having to wear a "stylish brace" for a while. He did not comment on Bertuzzi or the hit.

Old
03-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Barnaby

That wasn't hockey, that was an assault.

He should get the rest of the regular season as well as the first round of the playoffs without pay. On top of that a hefty fine.

If this is career ending then Moore should be able to sue him for lost wages.

Old
03-10-2004, 09:50 PM
in the hall

lot of people do similar things.. only this time something went seriously wrong...

Old
03-10-2004, 09:55 PM
NYR2

He should be crying, he could have killed Moore. He can dry his tears and think about what he's done while he's sitting at home and his team is in the playoffs.

I want to feel bad for him because I'm sure he regrets what he did and probably feels horrible, but I can't.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Edge

not gonna take a side on this one {learned from the heatley thing that people believe what they want and will get childish and emotional when someone says otherwise}.

my question is this; was it just me or did the hit really not seem all that hard. I mean it sounds weird, but i've seriously seen "worse" hits that didn't do nearly the damage.

I expected to see some violent out of this world hit, but it honestly didn't look like it should have done that much damage.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Theoren Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
not gonna take a side on this one {learned from the heatley thing that people believe what they want and will get childish and emotional when someone says otherwise}.

my question is this; was it just me or did the hit really not seem all that hard. I mean it sounds weird, but i've seriously seen "worse" hits that didn't do nearly the damage.

I expected to see some violent out of this world hit, but it honestly didn't look like it should have done that much damage.
Well that depends, are you talking about the punch or the fall?

Old
03-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
man, talk about a total 180. everyone HATED the guy last night. now pretty much all of those people have totally forgiven him because of one little public apology. this is all going to get turned around into "aww poor bert, hes so sad!" what about moore with the broken jaw, lacerations, concussion, and fractured vertabra? yeah. think next time bert, THINK.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:21 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

No doubt it was a cheap shot...

Quote:

much like the Johnson hit on Beuke. And, what I think REALLY happen is that Bertuzzi may not have hit Moore hard, but obviously surprised him, causing him to lose balance. And with Bertuzzi grabbing Moore and his weight shifting forward onto Moore caused Moore's head to be driven hard into the ice. I don't think Bertuzzi tried to drive him into the ice, but, he did cheap shot him. Remember the Beuke hit - Jeff was surprised and when he went down, he hit his head, which was what actually caused the concussion.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:25 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Well that depends, are you talking about the punch or the fall?

well both to an extent. the punch didnt look that bad and moore went down like a ton of bricks.

actually it kind of looked like more was gonna try and draw a penalty but didnt expect bertuzzi to follow him down and drive him into the ice.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:30 PM
Theoren Fan

Quote:
well both to an extent. the punch didnt look that bad and moore went down like a ton of bricks.

actually it kind of looked like more was gonna try and draw a penalty but didnt expect bertuzzi to follow him down and drive him into the ice.
I agree with the punch. It probably didn't "knock him out" as many suggest, but it probably took him completely by surprise, but I do believe the fall and hitting the ice was bad enough. It also did indeed look like he meant to shove him down like that.

I don't feel bad for Todd at all, but that's just me

Old
03-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Edge

i dont either, it just surprised me the whole thing went down the way it did.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Fitzlax99

I think the punch more "stunned" Moore than "surprised" him. If he was only surprised, he probably would have at least gotten his hands up to break his fall. While I cant imagine a gloved punch knocking him out, it sure was a tad above a love tap.

Ah, its a moot point anyway. He intentionally tried to hurt Moore, suceeded and should be therefore suspended and fined.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Theoren Fan

Quote:
i dont either, it just surprised me the whole thing went down the way it did.
I don't think anybody expected him to get as hurt as the way he did.

Anytime you get on subjects like this though it's going to be a touchy one for alot.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
He won't get a break from me and I sure as hell hope he won't from the NHL or local police.

First of all, I wouldn't have done that at all. Take the man out semi-cleanly at least. If you can't throw a clean hit and crush him with your 6'3", 245-lb body, then take him out with a dirty hockey hit. Don't chase him around and tug at his jersey from behind and sucker punch him. It's not as if Steve Moore is way bigger or tougher than Todd Bertuzzi. What a cowardly way of doing such a cowardly act.

Secondly, Moore's hit was debatable. I still say it wasn't a cheap shot -- the man didn't leave his feet or lead with the elbow -- although it should have been an interference call. The Bertuzzi incident was despicable. Steve Moore is far from a goon. Hockey is hockey, but Bertuzzi crossed the line when he blatantly put Steve Moore's life at risk. This isn't a hard hockey hit -- this is a BROKEN NECK, which 9 times out of 10, leads to at least partial paralysis -- Steve Moore may never be able to play with his future kids and grandkids, or even walk again. All because of a borderline hit that wasn't planned? Please.

I hope the law comes down hard on Bertuzzi. I used to have a great deal of respect for him as a player, but this has really brought that level of respect down to none.

The NHL should punish him by making him play a year without a helmet and see what the Avs do to him when he does.

On a good note, Steve Moore was in good spirits, and able to smile and "gingerly" shake hands. He even cracked a joke about having to wear a "stylish brace" for a while. He did not comment on Bertuzzi or the hit.
The other thing is Moore had already dropped the gloves earlier in the game and the Nucks were going after him all night. I give Moore credit for dropping the gloves.

03-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Un Prophete

Quote:

Ya I'd sum it up by saying what Bertuzzi did was more negligent than malicious. Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing what he did and I think he should be suspended for at least the rest of this year (including the playoffs), but I don't see it being comparable to what McSorely did to Brashear. Negligence is still punishable, obviously.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Barnaby

I dont feel bad for Bert.

I think he deserves to miss the rest of the regular season and 1st round of the playoffs. It is fair for both parties. I lost alot of respect for Bertuzzi after this - it was a serious intent to injure and this just puts a black mark on hockey. People all over the country are turning the TV on and seeing this.

Old
03-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by -El Duderino-
Ya I'd sum it up by saying what Bertuzzi did was more negligent than malicious. Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing what he did and I think he should be suspended for at least the rest of this year (including the playoffs), but I don't see it being comparable to what McSorely did to Brashear. Negligence is still punishable, obviously.
So you are saying he's just negligent? You don't think there was any intent to injure? Because what your saying is that he was just careless...

Old
03-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Un Prophete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
So you are saying he's just negligent? You don't think there was any intent to injure? Because what your saying is that he was just careless...
No, if you read my post I said it was MORE negligent than malicious. Obviously there was some intent there, but I don't think people comparing it to the intent involved in the Mcsorely incident is appropriate.

Closed Thread