HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2009, 08:18 AM
  #26
GoHabsGO252006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 953
vCash: 500
I generally like Mcguire, but he really was annoying on the Team 990 yesterday. How could a guy who picked the Habs to be a top team and go to the cup final at the beginning of the year all of a sudden blame the GM?

How can a guy who does color commentary on a few habs games and rips Carbo for the same things we see all year, ie: Metropolit on a 5 on 3, strange line combinations, flat team, no motivation etc...How can he all of a sudden change his opinion and say Carbo is a great coach and it's all Gainey's fault.

I think what happened to Carbo hit a little too close to home for Pierre Mcguire and he thought by defending carbo he was defending what happened to him.

This was not the same feeling for me as when Julien was fired. Julien I knew was a good coach that got the short end of the stick. Carbo i do not feel the same way.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:30 AM
  #27
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
You know, for some who is generally a positive guy he sure finds a lot of negative things to say about this team's management. Last season, he was all praises for BG, now he's out to crucify his as$. Few topics he can't let go.

-George Laraque signing.
-Latendresse playing in the NHL way too soon. *omg this*
-Departure of Streit and Souray.
-Need of big body down the middle.

All valid points in some respect, granted, but it seems like he's beating the same damn horse day in and day out without rest. Enough already. When he's right you'll never hear the end of "I told you so". When he's wrong, rarely acknowledges it. He ripped on the Price draft as it said it didn't address a need. Few years later, the future of the franchise was laid on the young goalie's shoulders and the future looks bright because of it. Yet he had the balls to call BG shortsighted earlier this afternoon....

Anyweyz, I used to love listening to Pierre but when it comes to the Habs, I think I'll turn on the radio when were on winning streak.
I agree he was ridiculously critical for no good reason. He focuses only on things he can throw back in your face.

He never apologized for his comments on draft day concerning the selection of Price. He ran down the whole organization over it. Fast forward to last season: Price was the best draft choice we had made in the last 20 years according to this flip flopper. There is no accountability for his statements because while he is quick to remind you of something he said that turns out right he never reminds you of things he was mistaken on.
  • The Laraque signing BG didn't use his crystal ball to foresee his injuries.
  • He focused on Lats and that was relevant how exactly? He's not even playing because of injury and just before that injury was doing very well in his proper spot.
  • I'm sick of the Streit and Souray debate. I also don't agree with it. It is not the reason we have a terrible PP, it's because nobody stepped up to fill the hole like they should have.
  • Do you know how many teams have a big body center down the middle? Exactly, they are hard to come by and rare. I guess Pierre thinks we have a divine right and BG actually went out of his way to not get one.

He was a huge disappointment yesterday and Melnick sounded like the voice of reason and disagreed which is rare in itself.

Best thing that could happen is that we move forward with stability and confidence under a coach that does communicate and gets the best out of his players and goes deep in the playoffs. That would shut Pierre's mouth for good.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:30 AM
  #28
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
McGuire has had a pickle up his backside with regard to the Habs since he wasn't considered for the GM spot when A.Savard replaced R.Houle as GM. Before that, he was a Habs bootlick, especially with regard to Ronald Corey. I think he was hoping Corey would give him Houle's job.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:33 AM
  #29
Rayne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Pierre's real first name is Regis..... Regis McGuire.
That said, he is a flip-flopping hack.
I heard he used to host "Who Wants To Be A Monster?".

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:57 AM
  #30
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,142
vCash: 500
Mcguire like every tv personality/writer/radio guy has one mission only, ratings, he has to try to remain "relevant" so that we don't switch the channel, or do something better than listen to him, I remember the TSN draft day coverage when he lost it when Bob Gainey called Carey Prices name, he went monkey, lol, how can the Canadiens do this he said, he wanted or hoped they would take the Staal guy that plays for the Rangers, then when Price dominated the world juniors I thought Gord Miller would have to turn of the button attached to the back of his head, he nearly exploded, Price gets it he just gets it, I like what the Montreal Canadiens have done here, CAREY PRICE IS A MONSTER.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:36 AM
  #31
dutchy29
Registered User
 
dutchy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,738
vCash: 500
He talks so much, hes bound to say something intelligent eventually. In general though
my opinion is this guy jumps on the latest bandwagon and tries to word it in a way that
makes the listener believe he was the first to notice. These hockey analysts have it made, sit around giving their valued opinions on everything, get paid mega-bucks and ironically I've yet to see any of them make a decent prediction about anything.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 09:52 AM
  #32
Jedrik
Registered User
 
Jedrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
My favourite (Pierre/Montreal) related moment is when he shredded/ripped the Habs for taking Price at the draft --and then acted like he discovered Price during the WJCs later on.
He just recently brought that one out of retirement on the air, as well. He reiterated to Melnick that he didn't understand the move at the time since we were set in goal and had so many other organizational needs. I doubt it's a coincidence that he decides to revisit that stance while Price is in the middle of a brutal stretch of play.

I like Pierre's analysis, and as far as having inside industry info he's one of the best in the business. He also knows teams and rosters inside out and has a long memory from working and following junior careers. I appreciate all of that stuff tremendously. But it's actualy really too bad that these things are so frequently kind of eclipsed by his opportunistic I-told-you-so attitude.

It's just tough to find him convincing or take him very seriously a lot of the time.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:29 AM
  #33
skipp18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
He just recently brought that one out of retirement on the air, as well. He reiterated to Melnick that he didn't understand the move at the time since we were set in goal and had so many other organizational needs. I doubt it's a coincidence that he decides to revisit that stance while Price is in the middle of a brutal stretch of play.

I like Pierre's analysis, and as far as having inside industry info he's one of the best in the business. He also knows teams and rosters inside out and has a long memory from working and following junior careers. I appreciate all of that stuff tremendously. But it's actualy really too bad that these things are so frequently kind of eclipsed by his opportunistic I-told-you-so attitude.

It's just tough to find him convincing or take him very seriously a lot of the time.
Agree 100% , he has a big " i told you so" attitude. He is always talking about his "record" as an analyst, making sure that the whole world knows about whenever he gets something right.

As far as x's and o's and breaking down a game, he is great. But as a so called NHL Insider, forget about it.

About Price. He blasted the Habs picking Price, and he uses the same excuse saying that he liked the player but not the pick at the time, which is complete BS, because the next year Price was cut from Team Canada and didint play well at the training camp. Mcguire made a point several times to point out on the air with Mitch how bad Price had played, trying to point out to everyone that he was right about what he said on draft day.
Then Price wins the gold and MVP at the next WJC, and he is Mcguire's golden boy.

Something obvious. Mcguire has crazy man love for any player who played for team Canada at the WJHC.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:45 AM
  #34
NewGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
McGuire was on the Team 990 yesterday ripping Gainey apart for not picking up Mathieu Schneider on re-entry waivers before the season started. It made McGuire look pretty bad since he was attacking someone for not acting on a situation that never occured.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:49 AM
  #35
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
I agree he was ridiculously critical for no good reason. He focuses only on things he can throw back in your face.

He never apologized for his comments on draft day concerning the selection of Price. He ran down the whole organization over it. Fast forward to last season: Price was the best draft choice we had made in the last 20 years according to this flip flopper. There is no accountability for his statements because while he is quick to remind you of something he said that turns out right he never reminds you of things he was mistaken on.
  • The Laraque signing BG didn't use his crystal ball to foresee his injuries.
  • He focused on Lats and that was relevant how exactly? He's not even playing because of injury and just before that injury was doing very well in his proper spot.
  • I'm sick of the Streit and Souray debate. I also don't agree with it. It is not the reason we have a terrible PP, it's because nobody stepped up to fill the hole like they should have.
  • Do you know how many teams have a big body center down the middle? Exactly, they are hard to come by and rare. I guess Pierre thinks we have a divine right and BG actually went out of his way to not get one.

He was a huge disappointment yesterday and Melnick sounded like the voice of reason and disagreed which is rare in itself.

Best thing that could happen is that we move forward with stability and confidence under a coach that does communicate and gets the best out of his players and goes deep in the playoffs. That would shut Pierre's mouth for good.
Melnick saved that whole segment and good for him for having the balls to tone it down, voice his disagreement and hold Pierre somewhat back. Tony Marinaro's with the same vendetta. And recently Boone's been smoking the same herb.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:15 AM
  #36
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
He's an attention ***** who's opinion changes with whatever makes the best news or controversy.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:04 PM
  #37
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,908
vCash: 500
Pierre M. was obviously way overboard yesterday in his comments...

He seems to be quite the know-it-all and actually comes across as a very dislikable fellow. He could leave a little room in his comments that just maybe he doesn't have all the answers.

But hey... its P.M. that is destroying his own reputation by being so full of his own opinions.

I wouldn't mind if team 990 cut his segment from the show.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:04 PM
  #38
LesCanadiens
Registered User
 
LesCanadiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Okanagan Baby!
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
Pierre suffers from little mans syndrome....probably got the crap beat out of him regularly throughout his life. Most irritating, unentertaining, hypocritical so-called "hockey analyst".

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:12 PM
  #39
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
I would love to hear Pierre speak french, i'd like to hear his voice saying Un grand bâton, je crois toi aussi tu utilises un grand bâton! Un gros corps au centre, on a besoin de ce gros corps au centre!

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:21 PM
  #40
Riverboat Gambler
 
Riverboat Gambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ~ ~ ~
Country: Canada
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
He is too loud too... and he's emotional. Like others have said, he tends to form an opinion and then deliver it like he just discovered the cure...

can't stand the guy... I'm happy more people feel the same.

I really hope he gets a job in coaching or management so I don't have to see him on TV anymore.

good thread... I'm glad the book's out on McGurie

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:23 PM
  #41
momotan
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
His real beef with Gainey can be heard in a snippet on trade day where he said that the organization was a black hole, and he couldnt get any info out of them. In other words while all his leaks from other teams email him on his blackberry, nothing comes from the montreal offices. For some reason he takes it personally.

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:31 PM
  #42
habaholic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
His real beef with Gainey can be heard in a snippet on trade day where he said that the organization was a black hole, and he couldnt get any info out of them. In other words while all his leaks from other teams email him on his blackberry, nothing comes from the montreal offices. For some reason he takes it personally.
I think you hit the nail on the head...I actually wrote a rant about him last week on this board pretty much combining all the things written by all the posters on this thread.

What infuriates me most about him is his arrogance, the condescending tone in which he delivers his opinions, specially considering he's done nothing in his career to warrant that kind of attitude. The only thing he's got going for him is his abilty to explain on ice technicalities in words that people can understand, but I honestly don't know how he can be so strongly opinionated on hockey management subjects considering he clearly has no experience on the matter.

habaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
  #43
TheGoalJudge
Registered User
 
TheGoalJudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,068
vCash: 500
I don't think he's malicious when he says the stuff he does. I think because he gets so emotional and hyped up over certain topics that he doesn't stop to think about what is coming out of his mouth. Over time that gets him trouble because there are alot of contradictions just like fans on this board when one game Kovalev is the greatest and the next he's the worst (for example).

Overall he's a great insider and does have some hockey knowledge but his opinions have to be taken with a grain of salt.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:41 PM
  #44
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
I don't think he's malicious when he says the stuff he does. I think because he gets so emotional and hyped up over certain topics that he doesn't stop to think about what is coming out of his mouth. Over time that gets him trouble because there are alot of contradictions just like fans on this board when one game Kovalev is the greatest and the next he's the worst (for example).

Overall he's a great insider and does have some hockey knowledge but his opinions have to be taken with a grain of salt.
I call BS on that. He keeps saying that he's a Montrealer at heart and only has the best interest. I call BS on that also.

I think a previous poster hit it on the head. He doesn't have access to Gainey, ergo his incompetent.

He is also the biggest flip-flopper around. How many times did we hear last year " Gainey...he really gets it". Now - not so much......

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 04:47 PM
  #45
skipp18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
His real beef with Gainey can be heard in a snippet on trade day where he said that the organization was a black hole, and he couldnt get any info out of them. In other words while all his leaks from other teams email him on his blackberry, nothing comes from the montreal offices. For some reason he takes it personally.
You are right!
Here is the email I sent to Mitch Melnyk on Feb 27th. the day after Begin was traded. That day Mcguire basically said that people in the Montreal organization didnt know who Doug Janik was.

Mitch,
Pierre was in rare form yesterday, completely disrespecting Bob Gainey on the air. Does he really think that the Canadiens organization do not know who Doug Janik is?
He is a spare part, Gainey said exactly that in his press conference.
Pierre has many relationships with high ranking people in many organizations (everyone knows who they are, he drops their names all the time), but he does not have any source for information coming from the Habs (just like everyone else), becasue thats the way Gainey wants it. He (Gainey) is a class act, I dont think the same can be said about Pierre after his little rant yesterday.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 05:42 PM
  #46
Habarazzi
Registered User
 
Habarazzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Glorieux View Post
If I woke up tomorrow with Pierre McGuire as coach or GM of the Montreal Canadiens I woould commit suicide

OMG!!!

This was the eaxct post I was going to leave (word for word) after reading the first post in this thread. AMAZING!!

the guy who called McGuire a gopher for the Penguins in the early 90's = PERFECT!!

It makes me laugh every time he referes to the '91-92 Penguins as "We" .... as if he played any significant role with those Penguins teams .... HILARIOUS

Habarazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 05:47 PM
  #47
Raider917
Registered User
 
Raider917's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,612
vCash: 500
if he was really as smart as he says he is, he would still be coaching

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 06:10 PM
  #48
Jedrik
Registered User
 
Jedrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
if he was really as smart as he says he is, he would still be coaching
To be honest, I think it's possible he could have had a coaching job if he really wanted. I think that enough people in the industry respect him, and he has some friends in the business. Possible, I said, not definitely. Well maybe an assistant job, at least. But I think he's more interested in working at the Pierre McGuire brand name. Can't blame him -- he's got a pretty sweet gig. Low stress compared to coaching, and doesn't have to deal with people like him second-guessing his every move on television and radio.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 07:09 PM
  #49
NHLFutureGuy3
Registered User
 
NHLFutureGuy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Wow you guys are soooo funny! The second Pierre says something against your team, you go bonkers! You say Pierre is hypocritical, i think you all are. There is no doubt that he has been wrong on a couple of occasions, but who hasn't. This guy oozes hockey knowledge. However, it's not what he says, it's how he says it. And he always delivers with such enthusiasm that you can't help but be drawn to the TV.

He's freaking entertaining too. I mean how much do you love it when he grills Mike Milbury for trading Chara? Or when he asks Mike Milbury to hold his hand on Valentines day.How much do you love it when he talks about big sticks?

The bottom line is, when Pierre is on, i watch...

NHLFutureGuy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 07:22 PM
  #50
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,662
vCash: 500
I hate how stubborn he can be. He'll never let go of something even when the evidence is glaring him in the face. Then, after a few years he'll jump on it and say he's right.

For example...Huet. He HATED Huet for some reason. Kept slagging him over and over. Huet was playing awesome in Montreal for a while and he still slagged him, albeit to a lesser degree. The book was out, apparently. Except Huet continued to have success.

Now that he's traded and struggling, Pierre boasts that he was right all along.

Maybe he was, but Huet also had a lot of success here.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.