HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

3-10-09 Thrashers at Avs 7 PM MT

Old
03-11-2009, 01:10 AM
quesosauce

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy12345 View Post
If we get the no. 1 pick, why not trade for the no. 2? I really want hedman
what if the team we trade the 1 to takes hedman?

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

vCash: 250
Quote:
If, the avs get the #1 pick, and want to draft Hedman, why would the second team want to trade? they'll know the avs will draft Hedman and just take Tavares 2nd overall. btw I really want Hedman too, if the avs do get the #1 pick I say just draft, Hedman.

Does anyone notice, that every gdt turns into the avs should draft...

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 01:12 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post
what if the team we trade the 1 to takes hedman?
Then we take Tavares and jump for joy...

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 01:22 AM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Because the Islanders don't have a goalie that I want and I really like Duchene.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svatos_the_great View Post
If, the avs get the #1 pick, and want to draft Hedman, why would the second team want to trade? they'll know the avs will draft Hedman and just take Tavares 2nd overall. btw I really want Hedman too, if the avs do get the #1 pick I say just draft, Hedman.

Does anyone notice, that every gdt turns into the avs should draft...
lol

And yes Hedman is exactly what we need. Dater pointed out today that we are screwed for the cap. Hedman would be the no. 1 d-man, and he'd be cheap for the next year, until we can shed some Tucker, Clark, and Salei weight. (although I hope we buy at least tucker out). Shattenkirk can be brought up the year after next.

Tavares would be good, but I feel the offense is good enough as it is, as long as most stay healthy, wolski is at center, and the young guys continue developing. I think we could use one top 6 forward, 3 million around. I'm thinking Brunette...

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 02:50 AM
chet1926

Quote:
lol

And yes Hedman is exactly what we need. Dater pointed out today that we are screwed for the cap. Hedman would be the no. 1 d-man, and he'd be cheap for the next year, until we can shed some Tucker, Clark, and Salei weight. (although I hope we buy at least tucker out). Shattenkirk can be brought up the year after next.

Tavares would be good, but I feel the offense is good enough as it is, as long as most stay healthy, wolski is at center, and the young guys continue developing. I think we could use one top 6 forward, 3 million around. I'm thinking Brunette...
Are you kidding? We stink out loud everywhere. Even when are players are healthy we can't score for ****. The only real offensive player we are missing right now is Sakic, and he probably won't be here next year anyways. We just got shutout by the freaking Thrashers who are the 2nd worst defensive team in the league. I don't know what you are watching but our offense is pretty terrible.

Our defense is pretty awful, and to top it all off our goaltending is the worst in the league hands down.

If the Avs get the first pick and don't pick Tavares, I'll probably lose it. This team is in desperate need of a face for the franchise and that could be had in Tavares. He'll put more butts in the seats than Hedman ever will.

When you have the best pick in the draft is usually means you suck. You don't pick the second best player with the first pick. You don't get to pick and choose when you suck this bad. You need the best possible player, and this year its Tavares. He proved it at the World Juniors. Hedman wasn't even close to the best D man at the tournament. Yeah I understand he is young, but that is no excuse so is Tavares.

It would be one thing if we were in a position like Washingtons where you have an incredible offense like they do, then if you have the first pick then maybe you can choose who fits your needs better. But news flash we suck at everything, we can't afford not pick the best overall player at whatever position we draft in. If its a d man then great, if its a center great, if its a winger great. We just need to pick the best player possible, and if we have the number one pick it better be Tavares.

chet1926 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 03:26 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Are you kidding? We stink out loud everywhere. Even when are players are healthy we can't score for ****. The only real offensive player we are missing right now is Sakic, and he probably won't be here next year anyways. We just got shutout by the freaking Thrashers who are the 2nd worst defensive team in the league. I don't know what you are watching but our offense is pretty terrible.

Our defense is pretty awful, and to top it all off our goaltending is the worst in the league hands down.

If the Avs get the first pick and don't pick Tavares, I'll probably lose it. This team is in desperate need of a face for the franchise and that could be had in Tavares. He'll put more butts in the seats than Hedman ever will.

When you have the best pick in the draft is usually means you suck. You don't pick the second best player with the first pick. You don't get to pick and choose when you suck this bad. You need the best possible player, and this year its Tavares. He proved it at the World Juniors. Hedman wasn't even close to the best D man at the tournament. Yeah I understand he is young, but that is no excuse so is Tavares.

It would be one thing if we were in a position like Washingtons where you have an incredible offense like they do, then if you have the first pick then maybe you can choose who fits your needs better. But news flash we suck at everything, we can't afford not pick the best overall player at whatever position we draft in. If its a d man then great, if its a center great, if its a winger great. We just need to pick the best player possible, and if we have the number one pick it better be Tavares.

either way you slice it, it is still debatable to who is the top prospect. I prefer hedman. I dont think Tavares busts, but i see a little similarity in the tavares/hedman to the daigle/pronger draft. A franchise defensemen is harder to find and id prefer to get the boy who has been playing against men the past few years, than the boy who has been mauling other boys the past few years.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:10 AM
chiavsfan

So much for "playing for pride" huh?

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:23 AM
chiavsfan

Some telling quotes this morning

Quote:
"We have showed this year that we can play pretty good against good teams," Hejduk said. "We can compete and then the games we should win, we don't. That's frustrating and it's pretty much been the story of the whole year."
I think that about sums up the season. Wojtek...would you like to add?
Quote:
"We can count up the posts, but if you don't score and you get shut out like that, it's embarrassing," said center Wojtek Wolski, again slumping without a goal in the past seven games. "We're disappointed, and I think it's embarrassing for the fans, too."
The tank continues?
Quote:
Colorado, which also lost to the NHL's worst team, the New York Islanders, on the road March 2, remained in last in the Western Conference and 27th in the NHL's overall standings. But the Avs now are only one point ahead of the Thrashers a significant point given that only the No. 26 through 30 teams have a shot at the top pick in the weighted lottery, and the lower they finish, the greater the chance. Even if Colorado doesn't pick first, a pick among the top handful will guarantee the franchise landing a much-touted prospect. In other words, how low can they go?
Even the "problem" had a comment:
Quote:
Avalanche coach Tony Granato said his team "had a tremendous game in Chicago, maybe one of our best games of the year, on how we played, on how each guy played. We didn't follow it up at all with the way you thought you would."

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Drury_Sakic

If the Avs do end up somehow getting the #1 pick, I would not be opposed to trading to the 2 spot if the team is willing to throw something in.

Drafting T is the clear choice, sets up the forward core for years to come with him, Wolski, and Stastny. Also might make Wolski tradable for a legit winger or a D man.

Drafting Hedman is also a good choice. The Avs have lacked a legit #1 D man since Blake left. Yeah, on paper the Avs defense core is deep, but lacks top end talent.

If a team is willing to offer up something (say a 3rd round pick, or maybe more? ) to trade down to the #2 spot why not do it? Either way you are still arguably getting the best player in the draft. Both guys have long term potential and you are hedging your bet by picking up another pick/prospect.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:57 AM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Something about how frustrating the season was. He openly noted the inconsistent goaltending, poor defensive play, and lack of secondary scoring. It didn't carry a lot of venom, but it was the most candid criticism of the team that I've heard from either of the duo all season.
Wow. That's what I get for missing the game. I miss the highlight of the year.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:35 AM
tgarrett29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
If the Avs do end up somehow getting the #1 pick, I would not be opposed to trading to the 2 spot if the team is willing to throw something in.

Drafting T is the clear choice, sets up the forward core for years to come with him, Wolski, and Stastny. Also might make Wolski tradable for a legit winger or a D man.

Drafting Hedman is also a good choice. The Avs have lacked a legit #1 D man since Blake left. Yeah, on paper the Avs defense core is deep, but lacks top end talent.

If a team is willing to offer up something (say a 3rd round pick, or maybe more? ) to trade down to the #2 spot why not do it? Either way you are still arguably getting the best player in the draft. Both guys have long term potential and you are hedging your bet by picking up another pick/prospect.
If we did end up trading down out of the #1 spot (assuming we land it), I wonder if we would want to clear some additional cap space as well by having the trading team take on a contract like Salei's or Svatos', or Clark's. Might as well try and kill two birds with one stone...

tgarrett29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 11:35 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
either way you slice it, it is still debatable to who is the top prospect. I prefer hedman. I dont think Tavares busts, but i see a little similarity in the tavares/hedman to the daigle/pronger draft. A franchise defensemen is harder to find and id prefer to get the boy who has been playing against men the past few years, than the boy who has been mauling other boys the past few years.
I don't see any similarity to the Pronger/Diagle draft for simple reasons. Hedman will never be on the same level as Pronger, other than Lidstrom how many franchise D men has Sweden produced? Diagle was lazy piece of crap who thought he could coast by on talent alone, and from what I've seen and heard Tavares works his butt of to get better, so there really is no comparison.

Yes I agree Tavares has been performing against other boys, and Hedman has been playing men, but then this begs the question of in the World Juniors, a competition against other boys, why didn't Hedman outshine all the other D men? If he has been playing against men shouldn't it be fairly easy to dominate against other boys? Hedman didn't dominate and that raises some questions for me.

Don't get me wrong I like Hedman as the 2nd pick, there is no way that he should be drafted ahead of Tavares, whoever has the 1st pick.

chet1926 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 11:45 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I don't see any similarity to the Pronger/Diagle draft for simple reasons. Hedman will never be on the same level as Pronger, other than Lidstrom how many franchise D men has Sweden produced? Diagle was lazy piece of crap who thought he could coast by on talent alone, and from what I've seen and heard Tavares works his butt of to get better, so there really is no comparison.

Yes I agree Tavares has been performing against other boys, and Hedman has been playing men, but then this begs the question of in the World Juniors, a competition against other boys, why didn't Hedman outshine all the other D men? If he has been playing against men shouldn't it be fairly easy to dominate against other boys? Hedman didn't dominate and that raises some questions for me.

Don't get me wrong I like Hedman as the 2nd pick, there is no way that he should be drafted ahead of Tavares, whoever has the 1st pick.
Hedman recently had played 4 games before coming to the WJC due to a shoulder injury in which he required a surgery. Its not a problem like Svato's shoulder just bad luck [it won't hurt his development if someone is wondering]. He has said that it didn't effect him but I don't buy it. Hedman is a guy who is a team player and he knew that he was important to the team and played through the injury. He isn't the type of guy to take credit or make himself sound better than the next player [same with Tavares].

There is also the fact that he was playing in a north american ice. Different size, styles, and plus, when the John Tavares hype train in all of Canada is behind him your confidence is shot.

Besides, he was fine defensively. Sure he didn't rack up points like Shattenkirk but he was actually quite solid in my mind. He needs to work on some aspects of his game of course but nothing to cause too much concern.

I just feel these are reasons why Hedman wasn't as 'dominant' as he could have been. It could also be possible that he just sucked [for his or your standard] but as far as his defensive game goes he did well.

Edit: Also, one thing I will say. Using the WJC as a basis for someone's talent/potential is just wrong. Evander Kane was playing on a bottom paring role and Jordan Schroeder was playing top 6 min and had more points yet Evander is ranked higher than Schroeder in the draft. Duchene and Schenn didn't make it either and they are both ranked higher than Schroeder and Duchene is higher than Kane. What Hedman has done outside of the WJC has shown that he can rival JT's stock [maybe not anymore but he is still the only person who can challenge it].

Last edited by chewey: 03-11-2009 at 11:50 AM.
chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 12:17 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
At least an AHL player? So you think he's on the cusp of being an NHL player? lol, yeah.......

Theres a reason why he's spent time in the ECHL both this season and last season.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ledin and Galiardi given a shot, but Burki is far down my list.
Galiardi appears to be just getting his game at that level, I think we should leave him alone to not disturb the progress. I had hope that this guy could turn out to be a productive 2nd line NHL player but he struggled with the transition early this year.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 03:39 PM
shadow1

Lol Terry Frei:

"Maybe the Denver Chamber of Commerce could start sending brochures to John Tavares."

shadow1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 08:36 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Massive loss. Good stuff. I'm pumped up.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 08:57 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Galiardi appears to be just getting his game at that level, I think we should leave him alone to not disturb the progress. I had hope that this guy could turn out to be a productive 2nd line NHL player but he struggled with the transition early this year.
absolutely, let's not kill his development.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote