HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

3/10 7:30 PM Stars (31-27-8) at Blues (29-28-8)

Old
03-10-2009, 09:00 AM
MissouriBlues2008

vCash: 500
3/10 7:30 PM Stars (31-27-8) at Blues (29-28-8)

Preview

Wrap-up
Date: March 10, 2009
Time: 7:30 PM CST
TV: Home: FS-MW Away: FS-SW
Radio: KMOX 1120

Blues Stats

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:05 AM
DT18

goooooooo blueeessssss........

DT18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Note fan in Big D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6gBu5lN6v8

Give us an encore tonight T.J. yOshie!

Blues 3, Stars 2

Note fan in Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:37 AM
CottonMcKnight

Let's start this home stand off right. Good clean thinking hockey (with some fighting and shoulder smashing for some entertainment value )

CottonMcKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMcKnight View Post
Let's start this home stand off right. Good clean thinking hockey (with some fighting and shoulder smashing for some entertainment value )
I am with this guy!

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Oshie97

Just do WHATEVER IT TAKES to win these home games and give us some hope for the postseason.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:41 PM
woodr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Just do WHATEVER IT TAKES to win these home games and give us some hope for the postseason.
Wings and SJ coming up next...ugh. This may end up being the week that kills off our last remaining hopes.

woodr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Overkamp

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodr0w View Post
Wings and SJ coming up next...ugh. This may end up being the week that kills off our last remaining hopes.
Dallas has a few players out tonight so that's a plus.

Also, later this week SJ will not have Blake or Nabokov in the lineup..more positive news.

If the Blues don't come out flying tonight then I'd have to start questioning Murray's message. That's all they've talked about the last two days.

No time to mess around. Let's get these clean two points and move within two of the 7/8 seed.

Last edited by Overkamp: 03-10-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Boyesfan

Well I will be at this game.. I am still hoping to see Boyes get a hat trick before I die....

Boyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:30 PM
TerminatorBlue

We desperately need to go on a huge winning streak if we want to make the playoffs.It won't be easy,I would say we would have to win 12 or 13 out of the 17 remaining games.

Dallas WIN
San Jose
Detroit
Minnesota

@Edmonton
@Vancouver
@Calgary

LA
Vancouver
Columbus

@Columbus
@Chicago
@Detroit
@Dallas
@Phoenix

Columbus
@Colorado

Last edited by TerminatorBlue: 03-11-2009 at 12:44 PM.
TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:07 PM
TrustInJarmo*

MissouriBlues2008,

If you are going to insist to continue to do EVERY Game Day Thread...would you please put more into it than just give links to other sites every single game.

GDT's have seriously gone downhill.

Here is a good example of what to do for the next Blues game...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=616833

Thank you in advance Leanna.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
We desperately need to go on a huge winning streak if we want to make the playoffs.It won't be easy,I would say we would have to win 12 or 13 out of the 17 remaining games.

Dallas
San Jose
Detroit
Minnesota

@Edmonton
@Vancouver
@Calgary

LA
Vancouver
Columbus

@Columbus
@Chicago
@Detroit
@Dallas
@Phoenix

Columbus
@Colorado
This is absolutely a must win. The Blues have only 4 or 5 losses they can take and still make it. They've got several back-to-back games, and must face Detroit and San Jose. The absolutely CANNOT lose to the weaker Dallasa team. Ideally, they should come out strong, get a 2-goal lead, and instead of trying to sit on it, (as Murray tends to try), they should keep up offensive pressure and have a blow-out game. That would also be easier on my stomach lining.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Overkamp

vCash: 250
Today's morning skate.. I really don't like Backes on that fourth line. I know he doesn't stay there the whole game but it just makes me think he's wasting his shift every time he skates with those guys..

Quote:
03.10.2009 3:36 pm
St. Louis Blues open tough home stand against Dallas
By Jeremy Rutherford

The Blues’ season could come down to the four-game home stand that begins tonight against the Dallas Stars. After hosting the Stars tonight, the team will face San Jose Thursday, Detroit Saturday and Minnesota Sunday at Scottrade Center.

By Sunday, the Blues could be in a playoff spot, or they could be well out of the playoff picture.

“It’s probably the biggest week of the year for us,” Blues center Andy McDonald said. “We’ve got some tough opponents, but these are the guys you have to beat. We’re not fazed by the challenge ahead of us. We know we’re capable of beating these teams.”

Some Blues believe it might be beneficial that the team is playing a couple of the top teams in the West on this home stand. The Blues, for example, are 1-1-1 against San Jose (42-12-10) this season, but are 0-3 against Los Angeles (29-28-9).

“For some reason, our team usually plays its best games against the top teams,” Blues forward B.J. Crombeen said. “We’ve proven that we can beat any team in this league and we’re going to have to be ready for each one. Right now, our focus is just on Dallas, though . . . get those two points and move forward.”

Blues forward T.J. Oshie did not skate this morning with the team, but he is expected to play tonight. In fact, Oshie could be on a line with Patrik Berglund and David Perron against the Stars. Remember it was against Dallas on Feb. 26 when that line erupted for two goals on back-to-back shifts in the third period, leading the Blues to a 3-1 win.

I asked Murray this morning that when he puts his lines together, if he considers the past success a particular line had against an opponent.

“You want to know if the kids are going to play together tonight,” Murray asked. “I’ve coached a lot against (Dallas coach) Dave Tippett and I’ve worked with him for a long time. He’s looking at our lineup trying to figure out, ‘How can I configure things so that I get an edge?’ The bottom line is you’ve got to play your own game. You’ve got to be comfortable with what you’ve got. That’s what we’ll do tonight.”

Murray wasn’t going to reveal his lines, but there were indications that Oshie, Perron and Berglund would play together.

My uneducated guess at the lines:

Keith Tkachuk-Andy McDonald-Brad Boyes

David Perron-Patrik Berglund-T.J. Oshie

Alex Steen-Jay McClement-B.J. Crombeen

Brad Winchester-David Backes-Cam Janssen

There was consideration to playing defenseman Tyson Strachan tonight, but who would sit out? The 4-5-6 defensemen haven’t played well, but they haven’t played as poor lately as the 1-2-3 defensemen. Barret Jackman admitted in the Post-Dispatch this morning that he hasn’t been up to par lately.

“The last few games, I don’t think I’ve been as strong as I’ve been in the past,” Jackman said. “This is the time when we really need everybody, especially myself, to step up.”

The Blues also haven’t been happy with Roman Polak. Murray wants Polak to stick with a defense-first mentality, and Murray had an interesting way of making that point to Polak this morning.

Some of you are aware that Murray will blow the whistle at any point during practice. When he does, everyone skates as fast as they can to wherever Murray is on the ice. The last player there has to skate a lap around the rink. Well this morning, Murray positioned himself on the ice and blew the whistle where he hoped Roman Polak would be the last player to the circle. Polak was and skated the extra lap.

“When he came in, I said, ‘Now Roman, you got it out of your (system) . . . you don’t have to carry it end to end tonight . . . you got your full lap out of the way . . . just play defense tonight,’” Murray said. “He kind of laughed.”

The Blues have allowed 13 goals in their last three games, and the reason why is obvious. The team has given up more quality scoring chances in the past five games.

Tonight is the Blues’ 66th game of the season.

According to Murray, the average number of scoring chances given up this season

Games 1-41: 14.2

Games 41-60: 11

Games 61-65: 16.4

The Peoria Rivermen have won four straight games and pulled to within a point of Chicago for the fourth and final playoff spot in the West Division. Goaltender Manny Legace has been a big part of the Rivermen’s success. Check back later today and I’ll have some updated stats on Legace.

If you get a chance, check out the website defensefirst.com . . . Blues defenseman Mike Weaver created the website and helps run the summer camp, which runs the last week of July. The camp is for players 111-13 and 14-17 and takes place in East Lansing, Mich.

“It’s a defensive camp and it’s very unique,” Weaver said. “We’ve had a lot of kids come to the camp and say they’ve learned so much. We go over the basic stuff as far as the art of the poke-check, proper dumps in the zone, keeping the puck away from the goalie. It’s a lot easier for a coach to put a player on the ice and say, ‘Go player forward.’ But it’s a lot harder for them to go play defense.”

JR

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Dallas's injured list, as per TSN:

Brenden Morrow: on injured reserve and is out indefinitely right knee surgery
Sergei Zubov: on injured reserve and will miss the remainder of the season left hip surgery
Brad Richards: on injured reserve and is expected to miss 6-8 weeks broken right wrist
Toby Petersen: on injured reserve and is out indefinitely broken left foot
Jere Lehtinen: expected to miss Tuesday's game against St. Louis upper body
Fabian Brunnstrom: expected to miss Tuesday's game against St. Louis shoulder

Story of our season, really.

Good luck tonight, should be a good one.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 04:24 PM
General Veers

So, when are we going to hear some cute little stories from Murray involving calling out a veteran or two during practice?
Hey Andy, here's an idea....If you want Polak to concentrate on D why don't you try taking him off the PP. He may be my favorite player, but I'm not going to sit here and say he's playing well lately. So what's the harm in reducing his responsibilities that involve more offensive opportunities and making him a PK'ing mainstay? I can promise the coach, he would see just how much this rookie playing over his head provides in terms of offensive chances when he replaces him with one of our AHL-calibre D-men.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Jeffro

I am simply astounded that Woywitka continues to play over Strachan.

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Veers View Post
So, when are we going to hear some cute little stories from Murray involving calling out a veteran or two during practice?
Hey Andy, here's an idea....If you want Polak to concentrate on D why don't you try taking him off the PP. He may be my favorite player, but I'm not going to sit here and say he's playing well lately. So what's the harm in reducing his responsibilities that involve more offensive opportunities and making him a PK'ing mainstay? I can promise the coach, he would see just how much this rookie playing over his head provides in terms of offensive chances when he replaces him with one of our AHL-calibre D-men.
I agree this would be a good way to let him focus on his defensive play. Plus, lets be honest, as much as I love how he plays, the kid needs to stick to PKing instead.

Old
03-10-2009, 07:08 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I agree this would be a good way to let him focus on his defensive play. Plus, lets be honest, as much as I love how he plays, the kid needs to stick to PKing instead.
I agree. The only reason he's even gotten a sniff of the top PP this year is because of injuries. I think he can be a vital cog on a 2nd PP unit in the future, like next year, but for now Murray just needs to put him in a D-first role and get off his back.

Old
03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Psst....anyone on this board have an online feed?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Backes *****es

Old
sbkbghockey

OH YEAH!! LET'S GO BLUES 1-0 with 59 secs in!!

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
General Veers

Let's go guys! LET'S GO!

Old
03-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Oshie97

Yea Backes, way to go baby. Keep the pressure going guys.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Perry!!!!!!

McKee just rocked Parrish!

Old
03-10-2009, 07:47 PM
MissouriBlues2008

Glad I had a test tonight. Just got home.

2-0!!!!!!!!!!!!

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote