HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should Fighting in Hockey be Banned???

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2004, 06:15 PM
  #1
Foppa_Rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Earth...how about you?
Country: United States
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Should Fighting in Hockey be Banned???

Just like to know your opinions on this. After the the Bertuzzi hit this issue is out in the open again. Is fighting a legitimate part of hockey or senseless violence. I'm sure this question will spark some hot debate. Have at it!

Foppa_Rules is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 06:30 PM
  #2
The Craic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MASS
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Hell no. This instigator penalty should be banned. This situation with Bertuzzi/ Moore might not have hapened if another guy could go over and deal with a situation. Outsiders who want to change the game need to go pay atention to Tiger, or LeBron or whatever the heck they do and leave hockey alone. I say goalies are fair game too. Play the puck get checked.

The Craic is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 06:33 PM
  #3
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,472
vCash: 50
No. I see no reason why two people that have a mutual desire to fight shouldn't be able to.

Personally I am not all that attracted to it, and the WWE type fights between enforcers downright bore me. But I don't think fighting should be banned just because I find it boring.

Cheapshots and the ritual forms of getting revenge should be eliminated though. But that is a different subject.

Freudian is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 06:36 PM
  #4
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,552
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Why don't we just ban all forms of physical contact? That'll do the NHL TV ratings wonders.

ObeySteve is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 06:38 PM
  #5
BrimFullofAsham45
Registered User
 
BrimFullofAsham45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,440
vCash: 500
I think if fighting is banned than it will force all forms of retribution into hitting, which in turn will lead to more injuries.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 06:40 PM
  #6
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,801
vCash: 500
hockey could probably grow beyond where the fighting limits the sport if it was able to wash the fighting from the image of the game. too many hockey novices think that fighting is as much a part of hockey as the score is. thats really a shame.

but as long as hockey is, "oh, thats the sport where they fight" or people say, "I went to a basketball game and a hockey game broke out.", as a reference to a fight in the basketball game the fighting will overwhelm anything else that hockey provides.

I don't really care one way or the other when it comes down to it. Bob McKenzie on ESPN News told Brian Kenney the other day that while hockey is different from any other sport because "its so intense the two big athletes can lose control and drop their sticks and gloves and fight. But most of the fights in hockey now are not like that. they are staged fights between two tough guys that get paid to do that."

on the off occasion that jeff halpern fights I don't mind. but the nightly goon vs goon fight after a face off is a waste of my time. its also fighting that just perpetuates fighting in hockey.

if you saw a good hockey game that had no fighting and feel like you didnt get what you paid for, then that is part of the problem. do you not watch international hockey because there are no fights?

txpd is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 06:41 PM
  #7
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Why don't we just ban all forms of physical contact? That'll do the NHL TV ratings wonders.
please...football is about the big hit as much as anything. but its not about fighting. basketball can be as physical as any game, but its not about fighting.

again you sound like someone that finds the frozen four a bore because they don't fight.

txpd is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 06:46 PM
  #8
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Craic
Hell no. This instigator penalty should be banned. This situation with Bertuzzi/ Moore might not have hapened if another guy could go over and deal with a situation. Outsiders who want to change the game need to go pay atention to Tiger, or LeBron or whatever the heck they do and leave hockey alone. I say goalies are fair game too. Play the puck get checked.
Jason Doig kneed Kevyn Adams and after he got knocked around by the Hurricanes he was ejected and then suspended for that. Carolina spent the entire next game looking for a chance to "get doig" like Vancouver was after Moore. You instigator penalty had SQUAT to do with that situation.

Sometimes i think some of you talk yourself into believing this stuff you write.

txpd is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 06:50 PM
  #9
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,801
vCash: 500
The Craic points out....Outsiders who want to change the game need to go pay atention to Tiger, or LeBron or whatever the heck they do and leave hockey alone....

Thats fine. Let's be straight forward about this. Hockey has never had a large enough TV audience in the United States to compete with the NFL, MLB, and the NBA. NASCAR is now passing the NHL for 4th in the sports rankings. What that means is there are too many outsiders and not enough insiders.

txpd is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 07:04 PM
  #10
brendon_kuhn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
No

Nooooooonooooooooonoooooooooonoooooooooonooooooooo o

brendon_kuhn is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 07:07 PM
  #11
ohlund2.2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 604
vCash: 500
During the 1st of the Habs/Leafs game Domi and Langdon were going at it for nearly a minute.

It boosts the spirits of both teams, and gets the crowd into it. Not to mention we'd be looking at many more of these ugly incidents if we didn't have fighting to settle the score.

ohlund2.2 is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 07:07 PM
  #12
Snakeeye
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
I have one question: What in the hell does Bertuzzi's actions have to do with fighting?

Snakeeye is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 07:12 PM
  #13
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,552
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
I have one question: What in the hell does Bertuzzi's actions have to do with fighting?
What is going on in this thread is the equivalent to people arguing guns should be banned after what happened in 9/11.

ObeySteve is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 07:27 PM
  #14
PEli*
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: abroad
Posts: 8,901
vCash: 500
Fighting is a part of hockey. The fans love it (as proven by the Bell Centre crown tonight) and it lets players settle things one on one rather than seeing a star taken out. It's simple.

If you ban fighting, you'll see an increase in headhunting via nasty hits. Who wants that?

PEli* is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 07:34 PM
  #15
Foppa_Rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Earth...how about you?
Country: United States
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
The connection comes when the general public groups cheapshots and fights into one word called "violence". The difference between the two is in a fight both players decide to square off and can see eachother coming. cheapshot is a cowardly act and the other player doesn't expect what's coming. Cheapshots have to stop. The league has to do something about it before somebody gets paralyzed or dies. What Bertuzzi did was disgusting and he got off way too easy. The league should have the guts to make the penalty for something like that be so bad that other players are afraid to do it. Punishment should be harsh. If it isn't and if the League does nothing, there will be more Steve Moore's. Many more. Maybe it will take a death for the league to realize what is happening. What about all the little kids in the stands in that game who saw the blood pour out onto the ice? Do you think their parents want to take them to another game like that anytime soon? I wouldn't.
But as for fighting, I believe it's an honorable practice and a part of hockey. I find nothing wrong with two guys squaring off with eachother in a good clean fight. I think fighting should most definetly stay. But the cheapshots have to go. It's just plain dirty and we already have one player in the hospital with a broken neck because of it. Hockey will lose many fans because of this and if this happens again, which it will if the league does not take action. Hockey fights between two players stay; cheapshots must be entirely eliminated.

Foppa_Rules is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 07:43 PM
  #16
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,801
vCash: 500
when you guys say its part of hockey, you mean part of canadian/nhl hockey...right?

its not part of american college hockey.
its not part of the WJC.
its not part of Olympic Hockey.
Its not part of International Hockey.
Its not part of European Hockey.

When you say its part of hockey...what happened to all that hockey that its NOT part of? Did they not get the memo?

txpd is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 07:53 PM
  #17
ZombieMatt
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
Fighting is a part of the NHL today and it always has.

If you don't like the game, watch something else.

I don't try to convince NFL fans that they should ban sacking the quarterback because I don't like that a 300 pound man gets to jump a defenceless 200 pound man.

ZombieMatt is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 07:55 PM
  #18
Foppa_Rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Earth...how about you?
Country: United States
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Actually if Russian hockey is considered part of European hockey, yes is is part of some European hockey. Kovalchuk fought numerous times in Russia and Ovechkin just recently got in a fight in the Superleague. Some guy high-sticked him in the face and they both dropped the gloves. Then it was over. I see nothing wrong with that. I do see something wrong with the high-stick however. Obviously so did Ovechkin. Cheapshots have to E_N_D. Players have to fear what will happen to them if they do cheapshots. That is how it should be. It's the only way to stop it. You have to make the distiction between fighting and bodychecking and things like suckerpunches and tackles from behind, smashing people's faces into the ice, checks from behind, highsticking, ect. The list of cheap stuff goes on. Serious injuries do not come from hockey fights. Usually the most a player gets is a blood nose, if that.

Foppa_Rules is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 08:00 PM
  #19
ZombieMatt
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa_Rules
Actually if Russian hockey is considered part of European hockey, yes is is part of some European hockey. Kovalchuk fought numerous times in Russia and Ovechkin just recently got in a fight in the Superleague. Some guy high-sticked him in the face and they both dropped the gloves. Then it was over. I see nothing wrong with that. I do see something wrong with the high-stick however. Obviously so did Ovechkin. Cheapshots have to E_N_D. Players have to fear what will happen to them if they do cheapshots. That is how it should be. It's the only way to stop it. You have to make the distiction between fighting and bodychecking and things like suckerpunches and tackles from behind, smashing people's faces into the ice, checks from behind, highsticking, ect. The list of cheap stuff goes on. Serious injuries do not come from hockey fights. Usually the most a player gets is a blood nose, if that.
Personally I would think these anti violence soccer moms would have a much bigger problem with things that hurt people like high sticking and hits from behind.

ZombieMatt is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 08:01 PM
  #20
wazee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 500
I have been fairly neutral on fighting for a long time. Most fights in hockey these days are my goon vs. your goon and is more of a side-show that a part of the game. Personally, if I never saw another hockey fight, I would be just as happy...but I realize that many people enjoy it so I was not actively opposed to it.

However, as the years go by, I am starting to lean to the ban fighting side. Part of the reason is that I have had to admit the old adage that 'no one gets hurt in hockey fights' is not true. For the Avs, Deadmarsh received a serious concussion in a fight with Jovanovski, Morris had a bone below his eye broken last year, and Hinote screwed up his arm last night. Undoubtably, I could come up with more if I took time to think about it. Some will say that fighting prevents more injuries than it causes, but there is not proof of that.

The other reason am coming around to anti-fighting side is that I no longer believe fighting prevents more serious problems. And I do not believe removing the instigator will change that because that would only lead to the team with the most fighters making the rules.

Times have changed. And it may be time for hockey to change. The referees, not the fighters, need to patrol the ice.

wazee is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 08:17 PM
  #21
PecaFan
Registered User
 
PecaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Posts: 8,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazee
However, as the years go by, I am starting to lean to the ban fighting side. Part of the reason is that I have had to admit the old adage that 'no one gets hurt in hockey fights' is not true. For the Avs, Deadmarsh received a serious concussion in a fight with Jovanovski, Morris had a bone below his eye broken last year, and Hinote screwed up his arm last night. Undoubtably, I could come up with more if I took time to think about it. Some will say that fighting prevents more injuries than it causes, but there is not proof of that.

The other reason am coming around to anti-fighting side is that I no longer believe fighting prevents more serious problems. And I do not believe removing the instigator will change that because that would only lead to the team with the most fighters making the rules.

Times have changed. And it may be time for hockey to change. The referees, not the fighters, need to patrol the ice.
Dead on. Fighting simply causes injuries, has *zero* deterrent capacity, and causes more problems than it solves.

It's simply a sideshow, an occassional freak show to keep some in the crowd entertained in the middle of the game. It's no more a part of hockey than the guys in the sumo suits at intermission.

PecaFan is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 08:20 PM
  #22
Foppa_Rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Earth...how about you?
Country: United States
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Actually if Russian hockey is considered part of European hockey, yes is is part of some European hockey. Kovalchuk fought numerous times in Russia and Ovechkin just recently got in a fight in the Superleague. Some guy high-sticked him in the face and they both dropped the gloves. Then it was over. I see nothing wrong with that. I do see something wrong with the high-stick however. Obviously so did Ovechkin. Cheapshots have to E_N_D. Players have to fear what will happen to them if they do cheapshots. That is how it should be. It's the only way to stop it. You have to make the distiction between fighting and bodychecking and things like suckerpunches and tackles from behind, smashing people's faces into the ice, checks from behind, highsticking, ect. The list of cheap stuff goes on. Serious injuries do not come from hockey fights. Usually the most a player gets is a bloody nose, if that.

Foppa_Rules is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 08:22 PM
  #23
Foppa_Rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Earth...how about you?
Country: United States
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Ooops, sorry for the re-post.

Foppa_Rules is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 08:54 PM
  #24
Snakeeye
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Dead on. Fighting simply causes injuries, has *zero* deterrent capacity, and causes more problems than it solves.
What problems does it cause, exactly?

Snakeeye is offline  
Old
03-13-2004, 08:56 PM
  #25
Burke's Evil Spirit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 15,318
vCash: 500
It re-inforces this harebrained concept of "players holding other players accountable" and "frontier justice" and whatever.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.