HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should Fighting in Hockey be Banned???

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2004, 12:49 AM
  #101
bluebleeder38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The S.T.L.
Posts: 463
vCash: 500
Don't ban fighting. If there's no fighting, the cheap shots will get worse as players won't fear any punishment for their actions. The instigator rule is bad enough, because it prevents enforcers from properly doing their job. Plus, it's been said before, but nobody ever left their seat during a fight.

bluebleeder38 is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 02:23 AM
  #102
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebleeder38
Don't ban fighting. If there's no fighting, the cheap shots will get worse as players won't fear any punishment for their actions. The instigator rule is bad enough, because it prevents enforcers from properly doing their job. Plus, it's been said before, but nobody ever left their seat during a fight.
Amen Bro, Another fan who grasps the concept.

c-carp is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 02:24 AM
  #103
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
I personally like the fighting. I know it's barbaric, I'm not sure exactly why I like it per se but I do enjoy a good face to face battle with neither player suffering significant injury (ie Deadmarshe's concussion).

However, I do recognize that hockey can be a great sport without it and there are arguments that it might even give better flow to the game if there was no fighting. We've seen fantastic hockey in the olympics and in the playoffs were it doesn't play a part of the game. So, I'm really on the fence. I wouldn't decry the end of the earth if fighting was eliminated from the game but I'd be saddened by it's departure on a certain level.
How is it barbaric, If it is I am proud to be a barbarian.

c-carp is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 08:51 AM
  #104
NJD Jester
Registered User
 
NJD Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
As for research, just ask around (not at the rink). Whenever I'm vacationing in the States, I ask average everyday folks what they think about hockey. Lots of folks talk about the fighting being a major reason why they think it's not a "real sport" etc.
We'll agree to disagree on the other points, but riddle me this: Do you think -- given the racial and ethnic makeup of the league, the media's bias against the sport, and the fact that most Americans have not grown up watching or playing the game -- banning fighting tomarrow would dramatically increase the number of non-hockey fans suddenly finding room in their lives for the sport? I just think this notion of "no fights=more fans" is so simplistic and shortsighted, given the other obstacles in place between hockey and these mythical casual fans.

NJD Jester is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 04:46 PM
  #105
PecaFan
Registered User
 
PecaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Posts: 8,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD Jester
We'll agree to disagree on the other points, but riddle me this: Do you think -- given the racial and ethnic makeup of the league, the media's bias against the sport, and the fact that most Americans have not grown up watching or playing the game -- banning fighting tomarrow would dramatically increase the number of non-hockey fans suddenly finding room in their lives for the sport? I just think this notion of "no fights=more fans" is so simplistic and shortsighted, given the other obstacles in place between hockey and these mythical casual fans.
Yes. that is simplistic, but no one here is saying that. There's not going to be a massive surge in fans the moment they ban fighting. Just as surely, nobody would be silly enough to suggest "no fights=no fans", and suggest a massive drop off in fans.

There might be a few fans who walked away if they banned it, but as I've said, they're not really hockey fans. There would also be a few borderline hockey fans who would now come to the games if fighting were banned.

As we both agree, there are many factors holding back hockey from being popular. Fighting *is* one of them. And one they can very easily deal with. The others are less easy, but with dedication, and time, they can also be overcome.

PecaFan is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 05:33 PM
  #106
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Article on the code.

paxtang is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:12 PM
  #107
braincramp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3
The Bertuzzi hit has nothing to do with fighting, that was just a cheap shot. I really don't understand why this issue is out in the open again because of this incident.
Then why do so many proponents of fighting say that allowing it will prevent incidents like Bertuzzi's? Why do so many excuse or mitigate Bertizzi's behavior by saying Moore refused to fight? Clearly, they are related.


Last edited by braincramp: 03-16-2004 at 10:16 PM.
braincramp is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:23 PM
  #108
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Clearly.

paxtang is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 11:02 PM
  #109
NJD Jester
Registered User
 
NJD Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by braincramp
Then why do so many proponents of fighting say that allowing it will prevent incidents like Bertuzzi's? Why do so many excuse or mitigate Bertizzi's behavior by saying Moore refused to fight? Clearly, they are related.
Only if you choose to link them.

I still haven't heard one anti-fighting advocate explain to me how cheap shots and injurous stick work will decrease if fighting was banned. Will players stop checking? Will they stop jockeying for position in front of the net? Will they still emerge from a corner scrum with the referee's back turned to them? Because all of those situations foster Bertuzzi-like situations much more than a fight will.

NJD Jester is offline  
Old
03-17-2004, 01:43 AM
  #110
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD Jester
Only if you choose to link them.

I still haven't heard one anti-fighting advocate explain to me how cheap shots and injurous stick work will decrease if fighting was banned. Will players stop checking? Will they stop jockeying for position in front of the net? Will they still emerge from a corner scrum with the referee's back turned to them? Because all of those situations foster Bertuzzi-like situations much more than a fight will.
You can speak the truth until you are blue in the face some of the people on this site just dont understand the game and never will.

c-carp is offline  
Old
03-17-2004, 03:00 AM
  #111
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
There might be a few fans who walked away if they banned it, but as I've said, they're not really hockey fans. There would also be a few borderline hockey fans who would now come to the games if fighting were banned.
I would venture to say that if fighting were *increased* it would attract far more fans than if it were banned. Explain the popularity of the WWF, surely it is not the homo-eroticism that attracts fans. How about NASCAR? Do people actually watch it because cars going around in circles is exciting? I don't think so. They started watching it because of the violent crashes.

People have a love hate relationship with violence, and while some are put off by it, there is a much larger group of society that loves it.

We'll see how this all works out, but I'd be willing to bet you dimes to dollars that this years SCF will get the highest ratings in the last five years.

Legionnaire is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.