HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev under Tortorella...

Old
03-10-2009, 11:20 AM
habs1988

vCash: 500
Zherdev under Tortorella...

Hey guys! Habs fan here who is very sold on Mister Zherdev!

I can't follow much this guy, but I know he's Russian with some bad attitude like many other Russians.

And you know, Tortorella is a guy that has bad time with this kind of player.

So, I would like to know who's Zherdev with his new coach? Do you see any difference in his play since coaching change?

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Loffen
Hadouken!

Zherdev has been a hard working guy for the most part this season. I don't think he and Torts will have any problems with each other, If he keeps on playing like he has.

That being said . . . I haven't seen any negative change. He had goals in three straight games as well. I think the new system will be a good benefit for Zherdev.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:51 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

IMO Zherdev has taken off less games than i thought he would coming into New York.

He had a little bit of a lull there during the slump, but everyone sucked it up at that point.

When he skates, hes been effective... I think hes been skating well the past 5-7 games consistently.

I dont think his attitude is really that "bad" either... He mixes it up and isnt afraid to involve himself in a scrum and that shows me something. I think hes just hard on himself and tries to make the perfect play when things arent going good. I think hes going to mature into an even better player in the future.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:05 PM
habs1988

What do you expect next year and as full potential?

30 goals - 40 assists maybe?

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I don't think he has a bad attitude at all. He certainly came in with that label, but I haven't seen anything to suggest it's true. He seems to be a hard worker and positive in general.

Torts will put pressure on him to perform day-in, day-out, and I feel confident that Zherdev will respond. Torts should be a good thing for Zherdev, I think.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't think he has a bad attitude at all. He certainly came in with that label, but I haven't seen anything to suggest it's true. He seems to be a hard worker and positive in general.
He also hasn't been the liability on defense that he was predicted to be when we acquired him.

I don't think Zherdev has the stereotypical attitude problems that normally get attributed to a lot of Russian and Czech players. Guys like Kovalev and Jagr had problems with teams and coaches because they were TOO confident and that often led to periods of laziness or lackluster play.

I think Zherdev's main problem is a lack of confidence. He has the talent and skills to be a go-to player but for some reason or other it seems like he'd much rather just be a support player and blend into the background.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:21 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post

Probably more around 25 goals - 50 Assists, if we really get Torts system down over the off season. Maybe even more assists if Torts juggles the lines and puts him on a line with Antropov (if he is retained).

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:

Tough to say. If the roster stays exactly the same, 30-40 is within reason. The kid still has great potential though, I could see him going 35-50 on a good offensive team.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:34 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Tough to say. If the roster stays exactly the same, 30-40 is within reason. The kid still has great potential though, I could see him going 35-50 on a good offensive team.
i agree, on a good offensive team he scores 40+ goals.

he's more of a goal scorer than playmaker so not sure why 25-50-75 would be someones prediction for him

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:39 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
i agree, on a good offensive team he scores 40+ goals.

he's more of a goal scorer than playmaker so not sure why 25-50-75 would be someones prediction for him
I don't agree with that assessment; if anything I think he's too unselfish with the puck at times. He's passed up many open looks this year in order to try and make the perfect pass. He's excellent at creating his own shot, but I'd like to see him do it more often.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:43 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Don't forget, Tortorella brought the star out in Lecavalier when everyone had all but written him off.

Zherdev certainly appears to need coaching. He might be Kovalev type, who rarely ever produces to his potential, but because he's much more complete, I see a 35-40 goal, 85 pt. player.

Needs to add a few reps to his regimen, I think.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:35 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
I think Torts has been telling him to shoot the puck more. I've seen him take shots lately that I don't think he would have taken a couple months ago.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:41 PM
hlundqvist30*

Zherdev is still very raw compared to his potential. He's certainly a very good player as it is but there is undoubtedly even more for him to learn and plenty of room for progression. Hopefully Torts can bring that out in him.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:04 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I dont think his attitude is really that "bad" either... He mixes it up and isnt afraid to involve himself in a scrum and that shows me something. I think hes just hard on himself and tries to make the perfect play when things arent going good. I think hes going to mature into an even better player in the future.
Quote:

Torts will put pressure on him to perform day-in, day-out, and I feel confident that Zherdev will respond. Torts should be a good thing for Zherdev, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
He also hasn't been the liability on defense that he was predicted to be when we acquired him.
I agree with everything here. Z has unreal talent in virtually every aspect of the game. If he can put it all together, there's no reason he can't be a superstar.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:07 PM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
Yeah i don't see much of a problem with his committment to the team, and when he's feeling good he gives it his all no matter the score of the game. Like when he semi hurt himself for a minute sliding and blocking a shot with his leg against the Avs when they were up by 4 or 5 goals already

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:22 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Since mid season his production has tapered off. I think teams are playing him more physical and he seems to disappear when they take the body to him a lot. It's something he'll need to learn how to play through or around.

Since the new coach, not much of a change that I've noticed.

I've never been concerned about his attitude. It's been reported that he's happy with many of his teammate and they're happy with him (i.e. Dubinsky).

Zherdev has all the tools to be an elite player, it's a matter of if/when he puts it all together.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:14 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
I think Torts has been telling him to shoot the puck more. I've seen him take shots lately that I don't think he would have taken a couple months ago.
Too much actually. Why he shot on that 2 on 0 vs. Boston is a mystery to me.

He never came off as dogging it to me either. He makes a lot of smart plays in the defensive zone and has, for the most part, been a regular contributer on the offensive side. Of course he can be better, but the rest of the team can too. On most nights he's the only one doing anything even remotely creative out there

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Tortorella hasn't marginalized any of the Rangers players.Most have played better under Torts and some have remained the same(in a good and a bad way).

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Ola

Quote:

I can't follow much this guy, but I know he's Russian with some bad attitude like many other Russians.

So, I would like to know who's Zherdev with his new coach? Do you see any difference in his play since coaching change?
He don't have bad attitude at all.

His hockeysense isn't top notch (his vision is, but he is dooing nutty things with the puck at times for example), and he don't have the experience to be a go to player yet; but thats another issue.

I could see him clash with Torts. Torts needs a goto player today, while Zherdev probably need a couple of years more.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:

Are you implying that Tortorella doesn't like players from the former Soviet Union?

If that is your point remember he had Ruslan Fedotenko, Dmitry Afanasenkov and Nikolai Khabibulin on his 04 cup team. In fact without Fedotenko and Khabibulin the Lightning dont get anywhere near the cup

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:37 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Uh-oh

http://njmg.typepad.com/rangersblog/...ille.html#more

Quote:
Zherdev, of course, played just six minutes in the first period in last night's 4-2 win over the Predators and was benched for the last two periods. Zherdev is still hot about something because when he came off the ice, he smashed his stick in two against the wall leading to the dressing room. Tortorella said whatever is said between him and Z is not for public knowledge.
Dont cry about it Z. Take it out on the Flyers.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 03-13-2009 at 01:05 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:15 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Do you see any difference in his play since coaching change?
I guess sitting on the bench through two whole periods is different. Truth is whatever was said in the room looks like it took hold . I wonder is Z sitting was just part of the overall effect Torts wanted to impart on the team.

I noticed Drury made his way down to that end of the bench to give Z some encouraging words. Z didnt look to bothered by it. Maybe he was just relieved Torts stopped laying into them

03-13-2009, 01:18 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Boo hoo he got benched..... the kid will survive

Lol remember when Keenan made Kovalev play like 10 shifts in a row...

:

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Don't cry for Z Ranger fanboys
Truth is Torts was just sending a message
Cause of his effort which wasn't consistent.....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Geddy Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Boo hoo he got benched..... the kid will survive

Lol remember when Keenan made Kovalev play like 10 shifts in a row...

:

Yeah and Kovalev thought he was being rewarded...

Geddy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote