HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Harding

Old
03-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Neither is BIRON. I know he had a great playoff run but he's wildly inconsistent, consistency is what you need from a number one. There is NOTHING that indicates that he's more of a starter then Nitty.
Lately I just really can't tolerate when you post this ****. It's so annoying, and all the guys you're clamoring for haven't even been given the chance to be proven, yet you still argue for them. This is not the city to try to pull that kind of shenanigan, and no matter how much sense you think it might make, the organization simply wouldn't go that way.

And as far as Niittymaki serving as a cheaper Biron (which, in your eyes, would be extremely similar numbers for less money) next year if Marty were to price himself out of the team's range, can you supply me with the NHL stat line which supports such a thing?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:50 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Neither is BIRON. I know he had a great playoff run but he's wildly inconsistent, consistency is what you need from a number one. There is NOTHING that indicates that he's more of a starter then Nitty.
Actually, the awesome playoff run last year is a pretty good indicator that he more of a starter than Nitty.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:21 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Actually, the awesome playoff run last year is a pretty good indicator that he more of a starter than Nitty.
He was solid against Washington.

Insanely good against Montreal.

So-so against the Pens, but I don't judge that do to the generally state of our team.

Nitty has gone on similarly good runs during the regular season.

Neither of these guys is the answer, we need to go out and get someone for the future and have one of those guys (the cheaper one IMO) split time with them OR go out and get someone established.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:24 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Lately I just really can't tolerate when you post this ****. It's so annoying, and all the guys you're clamoring for haven't even been given the chance to be proven, yet you still argue for them. This is not the city to try to pull that kind of shenanigan, and no matter how much sense you think it might make, the organization simply wouldn't go that way.

And as far as Niittymaki serving as a cheaper Biron (which, in your eyes, would be extremely similar numbers for less money) next year if Marty were to price himself out of the team's range, can you supply me with the NHL stat line which supports such a thing?
I don't think we should go out and get someone unproven and jettison both of Biron and Nitty, but I think its one of the two best options to acquire someone unproven and allow them to grow splitting time with either Nitty or Biron.

The stats and my eyes suggest that the difference between the two is negligible at best and there is no point in spending extra money for nearly equal quality.

Old
03-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
The stats...suggest that the difference between the two is negligible at best and there is no point in spending extra money for nearly equal quality.
So can you provide those stats for me to see which, in this context, would support Niittymaki being a better choice than Biron next year?

Old
03-17-2009, 12:53 AM
ELab2

Quote:
So can you provide those stats for me to see which, in this context, would support Niittymaki being a better choice than Biron next year?
Nitty:
.910sv% over the last 2 years. 2.91gaa last year. 2.75gaa this year.

Biron:
.916sv% over the last 2 years. 2.59gapp last year. 2.73gaa this year.

difference is negligible imo. Biron gives up more bad goals IMO.

Neither of these guys are the future.

Old
03-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Nitty:
.910sv% over the last 2 years. 2.91gaa last year. 2.75gaa this year.

Biron:
.916sv% over the last 2 years. 2.59gapp last year. 2.73gaa this year.

difference is negligible imo. Biron gives up more bad goals IMO.

Neither of these guys are the future.
The flaw?

Biron's played 105 games. Niittymaki's played 57. That's hardly negligible.

Old
03-17-2009, 08:08 PM
ELab2

Quote:
The flaw?

Biron's played 105 games. Niittymaki's played 57. That's hardly negligible.
that's true but you can't assume that Nitty's stats would be any different, besides I'd expect both of them to be splitting time

Old
03-17-2009, 11:50 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
that's true but you can't assume that Nitty's stats would be any different, besides I'd expect both of them to be splitting time
yes you can. Niittymaki doesnt have the physcial or mental makeup to be a full time starter in the NHL. He is what he is a nice NHL backup who can fill in from time to time if hes needed to be a starter for a short stretch.
I am not Biron's biggest fan either. I just dont think Niittymaki will ever be a starter in this league.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 03-18-2009 at 12:06 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:59 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
yes you can. Niittymaki doesnt have the physcial or mental makeup to be a full time starter in the NHL. He is what he is a nice NHL backup who can fill in from time to time if hes needed to be a starter for a short stretch.
I am not Biron's biggest fan either. I just dont think Niittymaki will ever be a start in this league.
I do NOT expect him to be what is considered a full time starter. He would split time.

Old
03-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
After Marty's horrific first 3 games he has a .920 Sv% and a 2.56 GAA. Those are pretty good numbers, but the numbers he has now are still good enough for a starting goalie. He is just streaky ad tends to lose focus ad let up soft goals. But he also will make the big save. I want him back on this team next year, he has earned it.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Not to get off the goalie talk, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Is anyone else worried? Like really, really worried that we're gonna miss the playoffs? The teams below us all seem to be on fire, and we're basically playing 500. I've actually been worried for a couple weeks, but didn't want to be "Negadelphia"....(Sorry Opus!)

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:11 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Not to get off the goalie talk, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Is anyone else worried? Like really, really worried that we're gonna miss the playoffs? The teams below us all seem to be on fire, and we're basically playing 500. I've actually been worried for a couple weeks, but didn't want to be "Negadelphia"....(Sorry Opus!)
The thing that is really worrying me is that Biron has played incredibly for the past 10 or so games, but we have a losing record and aren't playing well. Marty's recent form has been a huge opportunity for us to string wins together and we've just totally blown it.

If you go back to the beginning of 2009, we've played 32 games. During those 32 games, we've been on a 94 point pace which is essentially a 7-8 seed.

Now look at the talent we have on this team.

A) Goaltending. People can ***** about this guy all they want, this guy has a .915 save percentage which is well above average and he's really picked up his play in 2009. The problem isn't there.

B) Defense. Okay, Carle has struggled recently, but from the talent standpoint, this D should be good enough. Kimmo is a 1. Coburn is a 2/3. Carle is a 3/4. Parent is a 3/4. Jones is a 5. Alberts is a 6.

They should be good enough.

C) Forwards. Deepest group in the East. Carter has taken huge strides, Richie has been great, Gagne has been great, Knuble has been great, Hartnell has been great, Lupul's on pace for 25 goals, Giroux's been a revelation, Powe and Asham have both been nice surprises.

From a roster standpoint, there are no significant problems with this team. We can quibble on the Jones/Carle front, the fact is that from a talent standpoint, this is the best D in the East outside of Florida.

Yet we are playing 7-8 seed hockey. There has been no improvement from last year. This year's team is on a 99-100 point pace (last year's team had 95) despite vastly improved performances from a number of players and a more talented roster overall.

The fact that we've shown no real signs of getting better (witness last night's spanking by Detroit where we could have lost 6-0) is very alarming, but not surprising.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Hahahaha, disregard my post. I thought I was in the "Stretch Drive" thread!!!!

I'm an idiot.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:04 AM
BringBackStevens

The team lacks a reliable 2nd pairing defensemen and an NHL coach with a clue. So much talent going to waste

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:21 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yet we are playing 7-8 seed hockey. There has been no improvement from last year. This year's team is on a 99-100 point pace (last year's team had 95) despite vastly improved performances from a number of players and a more talented roster overall.

The fact that we've shown no real signs of getting better (witness last night's spanking by Detroit where we could have lost 6-0) is very alarming, but not surprising.
This is the most frustrating/disturbing thing for me. We need to take a page out of the nj/detroit playbook and learn to play cohesive, methodical hockey.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

B) Defense. Okay, Carle has struggled recently, but from the talent standpoint, this D should be good enough. Kimmo is a 1. Coburn is a 2/3. Carle is a 3/4. Parent is a 3/4. Jones is a 5. Alberts is a 6.

They should be good enough.

the Flyers do have some good defenseman. The problem is as its always been all season, is they dont know how to play as a group. We have defenseman playing as individuals. That is going to get you what you have seen at times this season, and what has been magnified the last 3 games.
I know we have gotten off topic here I know but thats what it is. Any team that is thought of as a plyoff team should be allowing the shots on goal this team does. It is insane. I asked it in the Wings/Flyers GDT have the Isles or Lightning even allowed 130 shots in any 3 game stretch this season? Those are bad hockey teams. This is a playoff team. Some people think is a Cup Contender.
Should we use that word again?
SYSTEM

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote