HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jim Kelley on Gainey/Carbo/Habs

Old
03-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

vCash: 500
Jim Kelley on Gainey/Carbo/Habs

Since every other article on Gainey firing Carbo is getting it's own thread.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...on_carbonneau/

I thought it was well written.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:22 PM
katatoniak

yeah, really good article

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:24 PM
smon

You know what I usually think of him as a bit of a hack, but this was a really good article.

I especially liked this part:

"Maybe it was because he tried too hard or because he was so demanding on himself (as a player as well as a coach) that Carbonneau couldn't quite come to grips with things the way Gainey can. The deposed coach never could quite understand players who regularly took nights off, got themselves involved in allegations of purse-snatching episodes or public displays of indecency. Surely he couldn't even begin to understand how some of them could allegedly get themselves entangled with the city's criminal element. Most importantly -- judging from the way he viewed the game and the role of Les Habs in it -- he could never comprehend what, in his mind, was the most distressing sin of all: Montreal players not trying - with every fiber of their being - to succeed in every moment of every game, home and away."

There was countless times this year when Carbonneau simply couldn't explain why his team was playting so poorly. I really think the guy just couldn't understand what was the problem with the team was.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
You know what I usually think of him as a bit of a hack, but this was a really good article.

I especially liked this part:

"Maybe it was because he tried too hard or because he was so demanding on himself (as a player as well as a coach) that Carbonneau couldn't quite come to grips with things the way Gainey can. The deposed coach never could quite understand players who regularly took nights off, got themselves involved in allegations of purse-snatching episodes or public displays of indecency. Surely he couldn't even begin to understand how some of them could allegedly get themselves entangled with the city's criminal element. Most importantly -- judging from the way he viewed the game and the role of Les Habs in it -- he could never comprehend what, in his mind, was the most distressing sin of all: Montreal players not trying - with every fiber of their being - to succeed in every moment of every game, home and away."

There was countless times this year when Carbonneau simply couldn't explain why his team was playting so poorly. I really think the guy just couldn't understand what was the problem with the team was.
That was probably my fav part as well.

Old
03-10-2009, 02:48 PM
sandman08

maybe my memory is failing me but what was he referring to with the "public displays of indencency"?

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
maybe my memory is failing me but what was he referring to with the "public displays of indencency"?
He's probably referring to items in the "french media", widely discounted at the time because of their provenance, but now widely accepted because Sportsnet isn't perceived as having a "hidden agenda".

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
He's probably referring to items in the "french media", widely discounted at the time because of their provenance, but now widely accepted because Sportsnet isn't perceived as having a "hidden agenda".
Or maybe if you repeat a falsehood enough times, it will be believed by everyone.

You know I was thinking about this after I heard of Carbonneau's firing.

If all the innuendoes and gossip that the "unbias" French media reported was true then it reflects badly on Guy.

For example, Jean Perron claimed that Price looked drunk when he played the Edmonton game. If that was true well then where the ****** was Carbo? If an almost senile former coach can see it from the comfort of his livingroom thousands of miles away then Carbo should have at least smelled it.

We can't have it both ways. Either the French press was correct in its reporting and Carbonneau was out to lunch while all this was happening; or the media was looking for dirt that wasn't there and Carbo was simply unable to turn the ship around. This being the second time in three seasons that he has a fallout on his hands.

Last edited by onice: 03-10-2009 at 03:18 PM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 03:21 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
and here i was thinking we acquired jiri tlusty and i somehow missed it

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I go the impression he was referring to the partying pics of Price, Higgins, O'Byrne, etc.