HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Need Help Settling an Arguement

Old
03-04-2009, 11:12 PM
PhoenixDog
Flamer for Life !!!

vCash: 500
Need Help Settling an Arguement

After todays Upshall for Carcillo trade i calculate the Flyers savings against the cap to be approx $80k (the $330k savings in annual salary x 1/4 of the season left) for the 08/09 season.

I was always under the impression cap hit was calculated as:

Cap Hit = 'Cap Number' multiplied by 'Total Days played' divided by the 'maximum number of Total Days' (where maximum total days is = 187 days on the active roster)

But an Edmonton fan (this guys is a real piece of work) is adamant that the cap hit is not calculated on a daily basis and that the 08/09 cap savings are the full amount of the difference between the two annual salaries and uses the following logic:

"The cap hit is calculated 2 ways one for daily maximums (which there is a limitation) and one for overall season cap hit which is adjusted every so often." - I have a feeling he is trying to blow fluff up my *ss because he knows i have him cornered.

can you please help settle this arguement??

thanks in advance

signed,

Philly fan in AZ

Last edited by PhoenixDog: 03-05-2009 at 01:21 AM.
PhoenixDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
TSN estimated it that for every $1M in salary, teams were able to add $4.5M to their cap.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:18 PM
PhoenixDog
Flamer for Life !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
TSN estimated it that for every $1M in salary, teams were able to add $4.5M to their cap.
so by that same arguement $330k in annual cap difference would only equate to $80k cap savings over the final 20 games of the season??

Old
03-04-2009, 11:27 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Since the Flyers abuse LTIR like Chris Brown abuses his gf's (ZING!!!) we have a strictly enforced DAILY PRORATED LIMIT unless we manage to shed enough salary to have over $7 mill cap space (Hatcher and Rathje).

The cap is a hard cap that cumulatives at the end of the season, however their is a daily limit imposed on all teams at the beginning of the season. When teams don't use up to their daily limit for a large portion of the season, they effectively increase their daily limit and have extra cap room.

HOWEVER, LTIR is included as reg salary up to the daily limit, and anything that goes above that limit is not counted against the cap.

In essense, even when the Flyers don't spend up to the daily limit (which we don't we always fall short by a little) LTIR makes them spend up to the daily limit.

So, our daily limit is CONSTANT and unchanging. In order to add players at the deadline, we have to clear salary, since we can never exceed the daily limit, and our daily limit never increases.

**DAILY LIMIT is prorated. 56.7 mill divided by days in a season.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:29 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream Team View Post
so by that same arguement $330k in annual cap difference would only equate to $80k cap savings over the final 20 games of the season??
Yes. BUT our new cap space allows us to call up another AHL'r so we have a 21 man roster instead of a 20 man roster.

The Flyers can never exceed (about) 303k a day.

Old
03-05-2009, 01:11 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

I recommend calling IrishSniper to do your taxes.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:23 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream Team View Post
After todays Upshall for Carcillo trade i calculate the Flyers savings against the cap to be approx $80k (the $330k savings in annual salary x 1/4 of the season left) for the 08/09 season.

I was always under the impression cap hit was calculated as:

Cap Hit = 'Cap Number' multiplied by 'Total Days played' divided by the 'maximum number of Total Days' (where maximum total days is = 187 days on the active roster)

But an Edmonton fan (this guys is a real piece of work) is adamant that the cap hit is not calculated on a daily basis and that the 08/09 cap savings are the full amount of the difference between the two annual salaries and uses the following logic:

"The cap hit is calculated 2 ways one for daily maximums (which there is a limitation) and one for overall season cap hit which is adjusted every so often." - I have a feeling he is trying to blow fluff up my *ss because he knows i have him cornered.

can you please help settle this arguement??

thanks in advance

signed,

Philly fan in AZ

That guy is dead wrong. The cap IS calcualted on a daily basis. It's not easy to follow or calculate, it's actually very very complicated with quite a number of factors that may or may not affect any teams cap number.

We have been over this many many times here and I won't go into it again. If you want to learn about how the cap works simply look back through the 2 or 3 threads where we went into great depth about how it is calcualted and our specific situation this year. However, your "buddy" from Edmonton is dead wrong, the cap IS computed on a daily basis. They two of you may not be fully understanding what the other is trying to say but the simple truth is that the cap is calcualted on a daily basis.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
That guy is dead wrong. The cap IS calcualted on a daily basis. It's not easy to follow or calculate, it's actually very very complicated with quite a number of factors that may or may not affect any teams cap number.

We have been over this many many times here and I won't go into it again. If you want to learn about how the cap works simply look back through the 2 or 3 threads where we went into great depth about how it is calcualted and our specific situation this year. However, your "buddy" from Edmonton is dead wrong, the cap IS computed on a daily basis. They two of you may not be fully understanding what the other is trying to say but the simple truth is that the cap is calcualted on a daily basis.
This

Old
03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
PhoenixDog
Flamer for Life !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
That guy is dead wrong. The cap IS calcualted on a daily basis.
Thanks for all your help with this. After 6 long days I finally cornered the other guy and he now admits the cap IS calculated on a daily basis, but he denies making the comment now. Can never win with an Oilers fan.

Go Flyers Go!!