HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sore the day after, but not directly after games

Old
10-07-2009, 03:21 AM
night-timer

vCash: 500
Sore the day after, but not directly after games

I usually feel fine directly after a game, but if I'm going to feel tired or drained, it doesn't seem to happen until the following day. Does anyone else experience this?

I did a mega workout after a game yesterday after a few months away from skating. I got through the game (and then the workout) fine, but I feel bad today, even though I got through the gym okay.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 04:57 AM
nullterm

Try to stay hydrated with water during and after workouts and see if that helps with the tired/drained feeling. Your body is still going after your workout and you need to keep your fluid levels up.

I'm sore the next day too pretty frequently. Don't know if there's really a way around that, part of getting old? Stretching pre & post might help.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Hooah4

You feel the lactic acid buildup from anaerobic metabolism. Not much you can do unless you feel like taking an ice bath like the pros, or coming home and riding the bike right after a game. I just ride the next night for 1/2 hr and get the heartrate up to flush the LA out of my legs.
It's been working for the last 2 years. I'm 39 now so I feel the effects much longer than I used to. I've taken up more agressive midweek training during the season to keep my body up to the task. As the previous poster said, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:07 AM
jbennardo

Yeah, the day after is much worse. If I play in the morning though, I'll start to lock up later that day/evening but the true soreness is the next day. I try to stretch and stay hydrated as best I can too.

jbennardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:18 AM
noobman

Do you cool down and stretch after your games/workout?

5-10 minutes of light cycling followed by stretching at the end will help prevent the soreness you feel the day after. A hot shower seems to help too.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:50 AM
pfloyd75

If it was a few months since your last skate, you're probably also sore from using muscles that you don't normally use - or using them differently at least. You don't stress the same muscles the same way riding a bike or running or working out as you do when you are skating.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
K-PAX*

Avoid the soreness you're talking about by easing your way back into skating condition, or don't take so much time off. It's natural you're sore after a "mega" workout, you haven't done anything for months. All it takes is a few weeks without doing anything to feel like that.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
I usually feel fine directly after a game, but if I'm going to feel tired or drained, it doesn't seem to happen until the following day. Does anyone else experience this?

I did a mega workout after a game yesterday after a few months away from skating. I got through the game (and then the workout) fine, but I feel bad today, even though I got through the gym okay.
Well if it matters any I am 41 and no longer play back to back days because I feel not so fresh in the legs the next day. Sometimes I can play though the day after but most of the time not.

I'm not sore though so I do not know what would cause that with your issue you reported. I don't feel tired or drained the next day so I cannot comment on that aspect of what you have an issue with either. My legs just feel not so fresh .... it is hard to explain. They feel like they have not recovered yet from the previous night's skate .... that describes it best.

Probably not enough water would be my guess as others have mentioned for your issue. I drink lots of water all day pretty much and it helps a lot.

I'm not a doctor and I do not pretend to know what is causing your issues.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:46 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Targeted post game stretching and additional muscle strength will help a lot, but nothing is a total solution. DOMS is inevitable.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:41 PM
CanadaBacon

Whey after a game tends to help me a bit, mind you im still relativly young.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
This is always happened to me when I didn't hit the ice for a week or so. Even mid-season when I was in pretty good shape. I'd usually start feeling it by the time I went to bed. I always just thought it was normal.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:25 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Targeted post game stretching and additional muscle strength will help a lot, but nothing is a total solution. DOMS is inevitable.
Bingo. When you work your muscles to exhaustion as in any strength training workout. . . heck, read the wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...uscle_soreness

I've read elsewhere that taking ibuprofin can interfere with the muscle rebuilding process so don't use it if you can help it. And eat lean protein after your game if possible.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote