HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/11 - 7PM - Tampa Bay @ Ottawa

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2009, 02:56 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
go bolts. only 3 points out of last place.
Islanders fan here hoping you guys win or at least bring the game to OT

Old
03-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Untamable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Islanders fan here hoping you guys win or at least bring the game to OT

Old
03-11-2009, 03:06 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLFanGirl View Post
Hey you guys have Stamkos and Vinny, we have a Goalie who looks like he will have a career of injury troubles ahead of him, Okposo and Bailey, we need one of those top 2 picks more

Old
03-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Legendary

vCash: 3073
Quote:
"Hedman, Hedman....!"
Do we really trust the management to pick a defenceman if we manage to get the #1 over a forward who is setting junior records, especailly since we all know how much he loves forwards, case in point the last off season. besides a MVP + Malone stammer , Tavares top 6 plus a healthy Smith would be pretty scary (in a good way). but having absolutly no D (especially one that includes Malik) is even scarier (in a very bad way).

also a +1 to actually getting to watch the game on TV

On a completly unrelated note I have seen a lot people quoting the post after theirs on this board in the past week. what is up with that?

Old
03-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Untamable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Hey you guys have Stamkos and Vinny, we have a Goalie who looks like he will have a career of injury troubles ahead of him, Okposo and Bailey, we need one of those top 2 picks more
Ya, ya. Have you seen our D?

Plus, we have Malik... we should get some reward for having to watch him play.

Old
03-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Untamable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CumulonimbusCatalyst View Post
Do we really trust the management to pick a defenceman if we manage to get the #1 over a forward who is setting junior records, especailly since we all know how much he loves forwards, case in point the last off season. besides a MVP + Malone stammer , Tavares top 6 plus a healthy Smith would be pretty scary (in a good way). but having absolutly no D (especially one that includes Malik) is even scarier (in a very bad way).

also a +1 to actually getting to watch the game on TV

On a completly unrelated note I have seen a lot people quoting the post after theirs on this board in the past week. what is up with that?
No. They haven't given us any reason to.

The sad truth is, we can have every top 12 forward in the league, but without a D with puck control, its almost pointless.

Old
03-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
No. They haven't given us any reason to.

The sad truth is, we can have every top 12 forward in the league, but without a D with puck control, its almost pointless.
We need a D that can move the puck and/or just ****ing rock people. If he cant do either, he shouldn't be on the team. JMO

Old
03-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CumulonimbusCatalyst View Post
IF we were to win the draft lottery, I don't think there is a situation where we can pass on Tavares. Only if we recieve an offer to trade down to the 2nd spot that you couldn't pass on. Tavares is the best player in the draft and I don't think, at this point, that you can justify taking Hedman over Tavares at the #1 spot. Ya we need D, but he is just the best player available.

Old
03-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Sear91

I'm almost positive that they'll take Tavares if we do get the 1st again this year..I'm thinking OK will prolly look at Chicago and Pittsburgh and think... HEY!!!! but that's besides the point.

Just show some heart out there boys...

Old
03-11-2009, 03:53 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
I am taking bets on what point I will be changing the channel tonight...the over under is the 7 minute mark in the first period...
Give me the under, please.

Old
03-11-2009, 04:00 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
IF we were to win the draft lottery, I don't think there is a situation where we can pass on Tavares. Only if we recieve an offer to trade down to the 2nd spot that you couldn't pass on. Tavares is the best player in the draft and I don't think, at this point, that you can justify taking Hedman over Tavares at the #1 spot. Ya we need D, but he is just the best player available.
What are you smoking Tyler? If they have the #1 they should trade down with someone who wants Tavares to get Hedman. It's that simple. Best available should not apply here. We need big, young defensemen not more forwards. Score Hedman and a couple of dmen in FA and this team is fine. Drafting Tavares (and I love the kid, don't get me wrong) addresses not a single issue with this current bunch of rejects on the backend.

Old
03-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimismRestrainer View Post
What are you smoking Tyler? If they have the #1 they should trade down with someone who wants Tavares to get Hedman. It's that simple. Best available should not apply here. We need big, young defensemen not more forwards. Score Hedman and a couple of dmen in FA and this team is fine. Drafting Tavares (and I love the kid, don't get me wrong) addresses not a single issue with this current bunch of rejects on the backend.
Woah woah woah .... We don't need more forwards? Ummm.. have you seen our prospect pool for forwards? After Stamkos, Downie, Tyrell and Karsums... it is pretty much non-existant. For defense we have Smaby, Mihalik, Lashoff, Wishart. Do we need a big #1 D? Yes we do. But if we are in the first overall position, I agree that we should trade down to #2 and try and pick up an extra decent few picks, but I mean if the offer isn't there, I think you HAVE to take Tavares. I agree that Tavares won't fix any immediate problems, but I still think he is the best player, and you have to take him if you are in the #1 position.

Old
03-11-2009, 05:12 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Woah woah woah .... We don't need more forwards? Ummm.. have you seen our prospect pool for forwards? After Stamkos, Downie, Tyrell and Karsums... it is pretty much non-existant. For defense we have Smaby, Mihalik, Lashoff, Wishart. Do we need a big #1 D? Yes we do. But if we are in the first overall position, I agree that we should trade down to #2 and try and pick up an extra decent few picks, but I mean if the offer isn't there, I think you HAVE to take Tavares. I agree that Tavares won't fix any immediate problems, but I still think he is the best player, and you have to take him if you are in the #1 position.
Trade down, get Hedman a pick, prospects, whatever. Use that to secure more forward depth. If the Lightning "secure" the #1 this season they will be in a perfect position to restock the prospect pool all the while get better defensively. While in 99% of cases I would agree with you about taking the best player available (and some would argue that may not even be Tavares), in this case I think it would be wise to trade the pick and add depth plus a potential shut down, franchise dman. I would be willing to give Hedman a couple of more years to develop as well. The guy is going to be a stud, Tyler and any chance Lawton has to nab him he should. If he wasted it away on another forward he would be an idiot of monumental proportions in my humble opinion.

Old
03-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
Trade down, get Hedman a pick, prospects, whatever. Use that to secure more forward depth. If the Lightning "secure" the #1 this season they will be in a perfect position to restock the prospect pool all the while get better defensively. While in 99% of cases I would agree with you about taking the best player available (and some would argue that may not even be Tavares), in this case I think it would be wise to trade the pick and add depth plus a potential shut down, franchise dman. I would be willing to give Hedman a couple of more years to develop as well. The guy is going to be a stud, Tyler and any chance Lawton has to nab him he should. If he wasted it away on another forward he would be an idiot of monumental proportions in my humble opinion.
I agree that we need a defininitive #1, and Hedman should be able to fill that need. I do disagree that you don't think Tavares is the best player available. I think we can both agree on something though, if we start winning games, we don't have a shot at either, so let's just lose this game while keep some of our dignity.

Old
03-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Ya, ya. Have you seen our D?

Plus, we have Malik... we should get some reward for having to watch him play.
What has be seen cannot be unseen.

We should get a compensatory draft pick for having Malik.

Everyone keeps bringing up the situation where Tampa gets the first pick, let's suppose that doesn't happen. Say we get the #3 or #4 pick. Are we willing to trade up to #2? Is Hedman worth the price? Svensson-Paajarvi will still be available.

I'd rather have Tavares than Stamkos as it were, but that ship has sailed.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 03-11-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old
03-11-2009, 05:34 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Tank for SOMEONE! I don't know what happens if we end up number 3, but I'm happy if we select either of Hedman or Tavares 1st or 2nd. Though I'd prefer Hedman...

Old
03-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Tank for SOMEONE! I don't know what happens if we end up number 3, but I'm happy if we select either of Hedman or Tavares 1st or 2nd. Though I'd prefer Hedman...
#3 would suck.. I don't want Duchene, so I would rather trade down to ~10 OVR and take like Ellis or Schroeder honestly and pick up an extra pick or two.

Old
03-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

We should be getting a higher, but similar pick to Toronto. They'd be an obvious trading partner for us to move down. I'd imagine they be eager to grab Brayden Schenn after his brother's breakout success with them this season.

Old
03-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Hockey Monkess

DON'T GO BOLTS?

Okay, I think I got that down.

Let's roll...over!

Old
03-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Last time I heard the "Let's go Lightning" chant during the Carolina game on Sat, it occurred to me.

They're not cheering the team on. They're suggesting that they all just leave.

Old
03-11-2009, 06:04 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
I agree that we need a defininitive #1, and Hedman should be able to fill that need. I do disagree that you don't think Tavares is the best player available. I think we can both agree on something though, if we start winning games, we don't have a shot at either, so let's just lose this game while keep some of our dignity.
I never said that I personally thought Tavares wasn't the best player in this year's draft. He was clearly the best player at the WJC this year. Hedman wasn't nearly as impressive as I thought he'd be. But he is still the best dman in this years draft.

And honestly, I have never wanted a team that I root for to lose, ever, for any reason, period. How some of you can do that is beyond me. Makes no difference to me how much they suck, I still want them to win. And that includes tonight's game and the rest of the games in this brutal season.

Old
03-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
And honestly, I have never wanted a team that I root for to lose, ever, for any reason, period. How some of you can do that is beyond me. Makes no difference to me how much they suck, I still want them to win. And that includes tonight's game and the rest of the games in this brutal season.
I agree it is a really bad thing to root against your team, but I mean this season is lost. It was lost from basically day one. At some point you have to realize that it is over and just hope you can start building up your prospect pool. Stamkos was a great start and moving forward we need to get better young players that we can develop. The best way to do that is to draft top end talent. In this year's draft there are two players that are absolute studs. Tavares and Hedman. If we are this bad, we want to make sure we GET one of those two guys, that requires losses.

Old
03-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Lecavilier_4

Nice chance Pettinger... Now PP time.

Old
03-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Lecavilier_4

Cory Murphy!!!