HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brash's Rep

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2004, 09:52 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 500
Brash's Rep

Hitch HAS to stop playing Brash. Even if he does'nt take a dumb penalty, they call one on him anyways just for being near a player that falls down. His reputation is costing us too many short handed situtations. I prefer Fedoruk palying, as he still knows what his job is. Brash is starting to think that he is a player instead of an enforcer. ( Similar to Domi). Isn't it also sad that in order to get a call you have to flop on the ice like you are dead. ie. Sens, Devils, Leafs. Teams like us and the Bruins just don't get the calls because our guys are big and strong and refuse to play that ***** style of hockey !!!! Do we need to start diving ?????????? I can't believe I just typed that.

Old
03-12-2004, 10:00 AM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16
Hitch HAS to stop playing Brash. Even if he does'nt take a dumb penalty, they call one on him anyways just for being near a player that falls down. His reputation is costing us too many short handed situtations. I prefer Fedoruk palying, as he still knows what his job is. Brash is starting to think that he is a player instead of an enforcer. ( Similar to Domi). Isn't it also sad that in order to get a call you have to flop on the ice like you are dead. ie. Sens, Devils, Leafs. Teams like us and the Bruins just don't get the calls because our guys are big and strong and refuse to play that ***** style of hockey !!!! Do we need to start diving ?????????? I can't believe I just typed that.

I take Brash over Fedoruk anyday. The only thing either of them are somewhat good at, besides fighting, is board work. Brash can at least cycle a little bit better and is bigger, meaner and more intimidating then Fedoruk. He can also fight better, hit better and is a smarter player positionally. Hopefully Somik is ok and we get Radio back in the lineup over Fed. Brashear played well with Primeau and Kappanen. They both created tons of room for Kaps, somehting Fed surely couldn't do.

Old
03-12-2004, 10:09 AM
MojoJojo

Bullsht. We have the number one power play in the NHL. Other teams are not taking nearly as many liberties with our players as last year.

Anyway, you really want to get a reputation for diving? Then we wont get the powerplay when one of our guys actually IS hauled down. Another consequence of diving, is that when you go down, you take yourself out of the play. I've actually seen decent NHL players dive on the rush or when they are starting to break away. To these guys, drawing a penalty is more important than maybe getting a scoring chance.

I say work hard, dig, grind, make that diving pass to the open man. Many of the best scoring chances happen because of the second and third effort by a player getting hooked or grabbed but refuses to go down.

Old
03-12-2004, 10:35 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Bullsht. We have the number one power play in the NHL. Other teams are not taking nearly as many liberties with our players as last year.

Anyway, you really want to get a reputation for diving? Then we wont get the powerplay when one of our guys actually IS hauled down. Another consequence of diving, is that when you go down, you take yourself out of the play. I've actually seen decent NHL players dive on the rush or when they are starting to break away. To these guys, drawing a penalty is more important than maybe getting a scoring chance.

I say work hard, dig, grind, make that diving pass to the open man. Many of the best scoring chances happen because of the second and third effort by a player getting hooked or grabbed but refuses to go down.

Our PP to PK ratio is -48, Ottawa is +28. This is gonna kill us in the playoffs, I guarantee it !!

Old
03-12-2004, 11:17 AM
MojoJojo

What do those numbers mean? here are the special teams stats for the Flyers and Senators.

Flyers 50 PPGA, 2 SHGA, 62 PPGF 5 SHGF
Sens 49 PPGA, 7 SHGA, 75 PPGA 5 SHGF

a 9 goal differential when you compare stats including shorthanded goals for and against. Even though the Flyers have not scored as many goals on the PP, they still have the number one PP by percent (23.5). Senators are drawing a lot more penalties (diving) which is also true of the Avs (aka Dive-alanche) and Toronto (nuff said). Also interesting, the Sens are allowing a lot more short handed goals aginst. Only Calgary has allowed less short handed goals. Incidentally, one of the two short handed goals against Philly was Hortons Penalty shot against Hackett.

Our PK is also looking up. Dont know if you noticed, but we killed off all six of Dallas' PP's last night.

edit: corrected math. 9 goal differential instead of 3

Last edited by MojoJojo: 03-12-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old
03-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Sorry guys but Recchi dives as much as any North American player I've seen lately...he just keeps his legs moving and sells it better than most. Correct me if I'm wrong but Preems was even doing a little diving before the concussion....and wasn't very good at it. Personally, i hate it and wish they'd call the dives by themselves and not in a package with a hook or trip. How can you call a hook a hook, if the victim falls on his own accord? I do feel most of our players try to skate through the interference though.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:25 PM
FlyersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16
Hitch HAS to stop playing Brash. I prefer Fedoruk palying, as he still knows what his job is. Brash is starting to think that he is a player instead of an enforcer.
I can't remember if it was earlier this season or last, but Brash was quoted as saying "its not my job to score," a statement which Hitch called an excuse for not scoring. Hictch likes to believe that ALL his players can put the puck in the net, that no player of his is confined to a certain limited role. Hitch is a coach who expects a lot out of his players, who likes to teach his players to have a more complete game. So I doubt you'll see Hitch play Fedoruk over Brash, and I doubt you'll see Brash playing his old style of play as long as he plays for Hitch.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Dr Love

Hitchcock doesn't have to stop playing Brashear. Hitchcock needs to start openly complaining about the calls he gets. It's not the right thing to do, but history shows that if a coach, GM, or owner constantly points out calls against his team, that the refs eventually give them some calls. Hitch needs to speak about it also because it shows support for a player who is getting pooped on.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:42 PM
MojoJojo

Recchi definately has a reputation for diving. Cant say I've seen him do it a whole lot this year, but I cant say I havent seen him do it either. Overall, our team is very good about not going down early.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:45 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan
I can't remember if it was earlier this season or last, but Brash was quoted as saying "its not my job to score," a statement which Hitch called an excuse for not scoring. Hictch likes to believe that ALL his players can put the puck in the net, that no player of his is confined to a certain limited role. Hitch is a coach who expects a lot out of his players, who likes to teach his players to have a more complete game. So I doubt you'll see Hitch play Fedoruk over Brash, and I doubt you'll see Brash playing his old style of play as long as he plays for Hitch.
I think that was last year he said that. Actually I agreed with Brashear. His role is not to score. His role is to hit, play physical, drop the gloves occasionally, and not be a defensive liability when he is on the ice. Offensive production is a bonus, but please dont tell me we should be relying on Donald Brashear to score goals.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:25 PM
FlyersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
please dont tell me we should be relying on Donald Brashear to score goals.
Never did i say we need to rely on Brash to score goals, and neither does Hitch, i'm sure. Under the Hitch regime Donald is expected to put the puck in the net from time to time, and not to be just a fighter and a checker. While his role isn't to score, it isn't to be a fighter only. I think (and i think hitch might think along the same lines) that when someone is labelled as just a fighter and/or just a checker, it limits that player's potential to contribute (but, of course, not to dominate) in other aspects of the game. you're right to say that Brash's role is not to be a goal scorer, but its more than just to fight and hit, i think.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:33 PM
blah

Nope, his role is to hit and fight, when necessary. He is a great forchecker though. I just wish he had some softer hands and could pass the puck better.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Rex88

Those mystery calls need to be sent to the league office - no media *****in, just send them in. Brash will play until he is done in Philly - there is no good option now. Radio is an upgrade over Somik in my opinion.

Old
03-13-2004, 09:16 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Hitchcock doesn't have to stop playing Brashear. Hitchcock needs to start openly complaining about the calls he gets. It's not the right thing to do, but history shows that if a coach, GM, or owner constantly points out calls against his team, that the refs eventually give them some calls. Hitch needs to speak about it also because it shows support for a player who is getting pooped on.
The same way Pat Quinn did before last year's Flyers-Leafs playoff series. And you are absolutely correct, it appears to work.

Old
03-13-2004, 03:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Nope, his role is to hit and fight, when necessary. He is a great forchecker though. I just wish he had some softer hands and could pass the puck better.
i would just like to nominate blah as having the best avatar on the board. run domi run
freaking classic

Old
03-13-2004, 08:38 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Right now, I am almost leaning towards having Brashear benched even though I like the guy most of the time. In the Dallas game, he got that 4 min penalty and it wasn't even him. In the NJ one, that hit on Brylin was pretty clean, but because Brashear goes near someone and that guy goes flying, the refs call the penalty. Brash has this reputation and Hitch needs to start making a big deal about it or bench him.

Old
03-13-2004, 09:02 PM
blah

They need him in the lineup.

Closed Thread