HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Burns on Lever this morning on CKAC 11-03-09

Old
03-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Newhabfan

vCash: 500
Pat Burns on Lever this morning on CKAC 11-03-09

I think the best moment in french based hockey journalism in Montreal are the Pat Burns discussions. If you do not understand french, you are missing a lot. I am considering doing a daily project - translating the essential point and posting them.

However - very interesting info this morning. When asked about Don Lever, he said that:

- He knows Lever very well, he is appreciated by his players because he is a "teacher" - he helps them improve.
- When he got the coaching job in Boston, he tried to do everything possible to get Don Lever as his assistant - it only failed because of an insurance issue (something about Massachusets not being covered).
- When asked about an unilingual coach in Montreal he was definetely not against it - and he brought very simple and common sense arguments that had even Langevin (a fervent opponent of the idea) shut up.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:37 AM
GoodKiwi

Good stuff, much appreciated!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:39 AM
gusfring

I love Burns. Here's to a complete recovery for him. Good luck, Pat.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:39 AM
NSi

I would LOVE to have an English-speaking coach, and I am a francophone.

I'm so sick and tired of the journalists saying that the Montreal Canadiens' institution "owe" the fans a coach who speaks AT LEAST both languages.

I really don't get what that magical language would give any superpower over the best coach available (whoever it is) that would only speak English...

NSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I think the best moment in french based hockey journalism in Montreal are the Pat Burns discussions. If you do not understand french, you are missing a lot. I am considering doing a daily project - translating the essential point and posting them.

However - very interesting info this morning. When asked about Don Lever, he said that:

- He knows Lever very well, he is appreciated by his players because he is a "teacher" - he helps them improve.
- When he got the coaching job in Boston, he tried to do everything possible to get Don Lever as his assistant - it only failed because of an insurance issue (something about Massachusets not being covered).
- When asked about an unilingual coach in Montreal he was definetely not against it - and he brought very simple and common sense arguments that had even Langevin (a fervent opponent of the idea) shut up.
While the rest of the NHL is in the year 2009...the Habs are still holding onto the past. The past success of this franchise, will be it's failures in the future if things don't change.

It's sad and ridiculous that the Habs would pass up a better unilingual coach, to hire a bilingual coach to appease certain people. Hockey is a professional sport, it's not a political arena.

I'm for the Habs hiring the best coach possible, regardless of language. It's not like the french journalist ask any questions of substance anyways, who gives a ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSi View Post
I would LOVE to have an English-speaking coach, and I am a francophone.
I'm so sick and tired of the journalists saying that the Montreal Canadiens' institution "owe" the fans a coach who speaks AT LEAST both languages.

I really don't get what that magical language would give any superpower over the best coach available (whoever it is) that would only speak English...
I would just love to get the best coach possible, if he happens to be bilingual, great if not, then so be it.

The only thing the Montreal Canadiens 'owe' to their fans, is icing a competitive lineup. Not helping unilingual journalists do their job

Only in Montreal is this an issue...this kind of **** holds the franchise back IMO.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-11-2009 at 10:48 AM.
417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
If only his health could be back to 100%, I think that Pat Burns himself would be the best candidate to be our coach... And he would have no problem having Don Lever by his side this time!

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Habsolutely

If one good coach can make the team better, language should never be an issue. It's a detail.

Habsolutely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:54 AM
habcat

As long as we win I don`t care if the coach only speaks Chinese or Greek or English or French, as long as we win.

habcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:57 AM
hellojp

It's funny the Québec Media mostly says when asked about Lever's uniliguism... they usually say "le français s'apprend", you can learn French.

Being French Canadian, ya it's important being bilingual, but it should be a choice. Frig, even our Captain cannot speak to much French if any.

----- ----- ----- -----
Get well Patty B...

hellojp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Gawd I love Pat. Lever should be our man. As much as I like Hartley, Lever could do wonders with the youth and its about time he gets his chance under the limelight.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:00 AM
neofury*

If the best coach available speaks only french, english, heck even italian I wouldn't care. I just want the best available coach.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

I personally don't give a **** if any given player speaks French but looking back at the history of the club I'm aware that if Lever wants to help his chances to become and stay coach, he should do French immersion courses this summer like Crawford did.

Even if he doesn't master the language (it's harder for some than others) he'll understand some of the questions and the gesture will go a long way at winning the appreciation of the fans. If Preston Manning can take some time off to go to Chicoutimi to learn French, I'm sure he can too.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 03-11-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Taupy

Here's the audio for our french poster around here:
http://audio.corusquebec.com/ckac/ex...-11_081800.mp3

Pat Burns is really one of the only guy that I listen to everyday and I like how he don't always put down our team and that he follows other games. He's a very funny guy too with a good vision for the game.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:08 AM
blasimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
If the best coach available speaks only french, english, heck even italian I wouldn't care. I just want the best available coach.
Given roughly equal skills between a French speaking and non-French speaking coach, I'd prefer a French speaking coach. Keeps fans somewhat happy, and makes things much easier in the media. But speaking French should be just one factor in the equation, not a requirement.

blasimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Tough to assess "the best coach available" though and tough to justify it. If Keenan is available, is he the best coach 'cause he's been in the league for so on and would do a better job than a rookie like Groulx?

Whoever is in the league right now, who really fits in the "best coach available" let's say that they are all fired right now.

Would Lindy Ruff do a better job than a rookie? ABSOLUTELY and I would go with him. Who else? I think that Babcock would be great here mostly 'cause of his link to McGill and even if he doesn't speak french at all. Though with his connections here, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to learn it a little. But then that's why that this concept is so approximative (like the BPA concept at the draft) that some people say that might as well go with the guy who can at least have a decent conversation à la Gainey in french. Again, this is the guy that speaks the most on TV and on radio than everybody else in Quebec including Jean Charest.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 03-11-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Ross MacLochness

I couldn't give a **** if the coach was unilingual but I'm not convinced Lever is the guy.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Capitano

One thing we should learn from this experience with Carbo is to get a coach who can work with the tools you have.

Carbo tried to make workers out of some finesse/perimeter players and that turned out to be a problem. I wouldn't pick our coach until Gainey decides which players to re-sign or which UFAs we get or which players we trade for, etc.

Basically, our team can look MUCH different next year so I'd wait until our team is formed before I pick a coach.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
While the rest of the NHL is in the year 2009...the Habs are still holding onto the past. The past success of this franchise, will be it's failures in the future if things don't change.

It's sad and ridiculous that the Habs would pass up a better unilingual coach, to hire a bilingual coach to appease certain people. Hockey is a professional sport, it's not a political arena.

I'm for the Habs hiring the best coach possible, regardless of language. It's not like the french journalist ask any questions of substance anyways, who gives a ****
Replace "the Habs" with "the Quebec media", and I'd agree with your post.

We don't know what Bob, Pierre, and George Gillette have in mind with the Habs.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:42 AM
kostitsyn1489

If having an unilingual coach piss off the fan base and allow me to have tickets for the games I'm all for it.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Tough to assess "the best coach available" though and tough to justify it. If Keenan is available, is he the best coach 'cause he's been in the league for so on and would do a better job than a rookie like Groulx?

Whoever is in the league right now, who really fits in the "best coach available" let's say that they are all fired right now.

Would Lindy Ruff do a better job than a rookie? ABSOLUTELY and I would go with him. Who else? I think that Babcock would be great here mostly 'cause of his link to McGill and even if he doesn't speak french at all. Though with his connections here, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to learn it a little. But then that's why that this concept is so approximative (like the BPA concept at the draft) that some people say that might as well go with the guy who can at least have a decent conversation à la Gainey in french. Again, this is the guy that speaks the most on TV and on radio than everybody else in Quebec including Jean Charest.

Obviously, when talking about the Best coach possible, the word ''available'' most also come to mind.

And it's Bob Gainey's job to find the best one out there, that he feels can fit into the team's mold best.
Carbo was a good friend of his, so I don't know how well he evaluated him before hiring him but that was clearly a mistake.

I doubt Gainey will do the same mistake though.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:47 AM
le_sean

The french media is just lazy; they don't want to speak english and have to translate for their papers.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:56 AM
FrankMTL

I love that Pat Burns Segment...its just fantastic. Pat Burns acts as the moderator between the French and the English and gives such great answers. he always thinks about both sides and gives very honest and refreshing answers. As a French Canadian, I always love the way he calms down the nationalists on certain topics almost to the point where they think things though logically for a change. We all want more French Canadian content on this team, but not at the expense of results. Bring in people from anywhere in the world, as long as they're the best candidates to lead us to a Stanley Cup

If your asking people to choose, I should hope most people would choose

Stanley Cup > French Canadian Content

Otherwise, you are not really a lover of the team, more of what you want them to represent.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:57 AM
C4KOMI

french media
wont allow it.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 11:01 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4KOMI View Post
french media
wont allow it.
What power do they have? Until the french media buys the team from Gillett, they can **** off.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 11:03 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
What power do they have? Until the french media buys the team from Gillett, they can **** off.
True, but it'll be bashing day in and day out, more then it normally is. We lose 2 he'll be fired in the media and all. They have no power, but they'll manage to be a pain in the ass more then they currently are.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote