HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

50 Contracts 18 UFA's

Old
03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
Guys like Valentenko and Radulov don't count... teams don't get punished for having players in breach of their contract. However, that contract will count during the summer, much like an injured player's cap hit counts during the summer without LTIR provision (Rathje in Philly, for example). Once training camp starts, the players end up being suspended all over again if they fail to report, or back on LTIR if they fail their physical. So during the summer he counts as 1 in 50, and when he doesn't report in the fall we can replace his contract with another one. If/When Valentenko or Radulov come back, they will have to fulfill the terms of the contract they walked out on... which were both rookie contracts. So Valentenko will still have 2 years left on his rookie deal if he comes back (though maybe only one, I don't know if him playing for a month moves it to next year or not). Radulov definitely has to play out the final year of his rookie deal if he ever comes back.

Belle getting moved was just an example if we end up signing 4 or more NCAA/European blueliners, plus Subban. I assume we won't sign all of them this summer, though, so it's really an unlikely scenario.

You may be right on Korneev, that there were never any serious discussions about bringing him over. I thought when he moved to Ak Bars there was some interest, but maybe not. Savard liked Korneev, but then the new regime took over so who knows. That was a while ago.
Makes sense on Valentenko not counting, I would assume he would have just one year left on his deal since he did play at the start of the season. Im guessing we won't ever see him again anyway so it doesn't really matter, but the Habs might need that extra contract next year.

Belle I fully expect back since we are going to need some depth for Hamilton that has experience and I would expect all the UFA D's in Hamilton to be gone leaving Belle and Carle as our most experienced D. Granted the Dogs would likely try and find another veteran D or perhaps try and keep someone like Henry as we should be loaded on RD's next year but thin on LD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I would think because he is younger they would keep Belle ahead of Anderson Kemp or Henry.
Agreed. Anderson and Kemp should be gone for sure since they are RD's and with Weber, Subban and Carle they should eat up a lot of icetime for the RD's. Belle has experience and is a decent depth guy to have around. I would like to see Henry back but as a UFA he may opt for more money in the Euro leauges perhaps.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 12:12 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I've never heard that the Habs tried to bring Korneev over at any point in his career, I followed Korneev very closely when he was with AK Bars and with the way he struggled with the panthers I would be surprised if they tried to bring him over at that time.
This.

He wasn't very good until he got a huge role with CSKA Moscow. Maybe he's the type of player who needs his management, coaches, and teammates to have confidence in him. Or maybe a lot of it had to do with the NHL Lockout right in the middle of his development.

However, I think a huge reason he was never really talked to much, was because he wasn't a Timmins/Gainey pick.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote