HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tortorella's thoughts on Staal and Girardi

Old
03-08-2009, 06:50 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Tortorella's thoughts on Staal and Girardi

Quote:
Torts also had some interesting thoughts on Marc Staal, who looked like a future All-Star in rushing into the Bruins zone and blasting a shot that went wide of Manny Fernandez (who had a game to forget) but bounced perfectly to Nikolai Zherdev for the winner. Of course, Staal admitted he was actually trying to get the puck on net and he's sure Fernandez was thinking the puck was going to come close to between the posts rather than that far outside.

"We're trying to put more responsibility on him," Tortorella said. "I think it's easy for a young defenseman to just to stay at home and just play defense. I think he has a chance to be one hell of a hockey player. I look at him and Danny (Girardi) and they have the chance to be really good defensemen in a league that lacks a lot of good defensemen. We want that part of his game and we want that in there now. We don't want to wait a year. We want him to understand that we want him to be aggressive. We want him up the ice. If mistakes are made, we have a pretty good guy in net that can stop the puck."

Torts added he doesn't want to "dumb it down," and just teach Staal and Girardi to make the safe play in their zone of banging it off the boards and away
http://njmg.typepad.com/rangersblog/...n-38.html#more

Is John talking about some of his other D with that comment?

Safe Is Death

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Black Aces

I mentioned it in the game thread... I think Staal is going to take off under Torts.

Love the line about putting more responsibility on his shoulders. A player like Staal can be asked to do more than play it safe because he is capable of doing so.

Black Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 07:06 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Staal looked unreal tonight. Standing guys up, forcing the puck the other way, going up against a couple of guys in a corner and keeping them from getting possession, and moving the puck up the ice, either by skating it himself, or by nice passing.

So excited about having this kid...

we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 07:14 PM
ecemleafs

i love when staal goes into the corners in our zone. some how he always manages to make a good pass after shrugging a forechecker off.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 07:21 PM
wereback

I honestly think that Renney stunted the growth of Staal

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Loto68

Just imagine what Staal will be when he really puts on some muscle, even Ovie might shy away.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 07:26 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
I honestly think that Renney stunted the growth of Staal
I think that's going a little bit too far, but yes... Renney definitely didn't get the most out of this group of players.

I can't see one advantage that Staal had playing in Renney's system as opposed to the one he's playing in now.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Honestly, the move to get Tortorella possibly saved this frachise to the point where I think we were headed toward a second round of dark years.

The guy has plain out brought a system that can win. That entertains the fans. That gave us a reason to believe again after losing like 10 out of the previous 12. I'm possibly being a little drastic, but honestly, I'm going to look at this as the second best move by Sather since becoming GM here. Second only to Anson Carter for Jaromir Jagr at half price.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 07:54 PM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I think that's going a little bit too far, but yes... Renney definitely didn't get the most out of this group of players.

I can't see one advantage that Staal had playing in Renney's system as opposed to the one he's playing in now.
I both agree and disagree. I think with Renney's defensive system it slowly turned Staal into the awesome defensive dman he is but now with Torts he's gonna learn the offense. So if anything it all benefits Staal

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 View Post
I both agree and disagree. I think with Renney's defensive system it slowly turned Staal into the awesome defensive dman he is but now with Torts he's gonna learn the offense. So if anything it all benefits Staal
Ditto.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:10 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think when its all said and done Staal will credit both coaches for his success.

Either way, you got to give credit to the player. He does what he is told and hes been playing like an absolute beast out there.

Hands down the Rangers best defenseman.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Section311

Wait why didn't we trade Staal for Malone straight up

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Levitate

Cmon, Tortorella has only been here 5 games. Let's not make him a savior yet

Also, I think Renney probably did a lot to help Staal. Maybe Tortorella helps bring out some offense in him, but Renney helped give him the foundation to build on

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:25 AM
broadwayblue

Just imagine how good Staal could become if he ever learns to get his shot anywhere near the net!

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:33 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Is John talking about some of his other D with that comment?
Wow way to find something that wasn't there

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:36 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Honestly, the move to get Tortorella possibly saved this frachise to the point where I think we were headed toward a second round of dark years.

The guy has plain out brought a system that can win. That entertains the fans. That gave us a reason to believe again after losing like 10 out of the previous 12. I'm possibly being a little drastic, but honestly, I'm going to look at this as the second best move by Sather since becoming GM here. Second only to Anson Carter for Jaromir Jagr at half price.
I think at this point Torts simply plays it to the fans. He has to do it. Every new coach does that and Sather helps him with it by providing him with public opinion info Torts, being a new here, is otherwise unaware of. He is not going to make Stall anything more he was going to be. Torts is not going to force him into Brian Leetch mold, especially since, by his own admission John is clueless about defensemen and their management.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I think at this point Torts simply plays it to the fans. He has to do it. Every new coach does that and Sather helps him with it by providing him with public opinion info Torts, being a new here, is otherwise unaware of. He is not going to make Stall anything more he was going to be. Torts is not going to force him into Brian Leetch mold, especially since, by his own admission John is clueless about defensemen and their management.
Are you talking about letting Schoenfeld handle the D and PK? You do know that alot of teams have an assistant coach help out with D...

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:44 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Are you talking about letting Schoenfeld handle the D and PK? You do know that alot of teams have an assistant coach help out with D...
Yeah, therefore I'd rather hear from Shoenfield on the subject.

Old
03-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Just imagine how good Staal could become if he ever learns to get his shot anywhere near the net!
This worries me more than anything else about Staal. The kid has an absolutely uncanny ability to go into his defensive corner and emerge with the puck to make the outlet pass. On top of being strong, he is also very tricky, especially for a guy his size, and he is extremely slick with his stick when it comes to keeping it away from forecheckers. But once he takes off up the ice and crosses into the offensive zone he really looks lost to me. He misses the net way too much, and gets his shots blocked a lot. I'm definitely holding out hope that he has some untapped offense lingering somewhere within him, but I have to admit that I'm a little concerned that he just might not have it.

I'm fine with that, by the way. The kid is already a stud shutdown defender, and with Sanguinetti and MDZ coming down the pipe we'll be fine with offense from the blueline even if Marc doesn't wake up.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Fletch

Renney's system was perfect for Staal last season, and perhaps this season or parts of this season. As a 20 year old, you should keep it simple, learn the game, learn the bounces, learn positioning, etc. He didn't come here as some puck-rushing offenseman with tons of skill. With almost a couple years in the league and it apparently looking like he's been ready to break out at times, his leash should be shortened and let's see what he can do. If forwards play smart and his defense partner plays smart, it really shouldn't be an extra burden on Henke, but if it is, he seemed to do well carrying an extra burden this season despite playing behind a defensive system - might as well try to get some offense out of it.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:09 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Yeah, therefore I'd rather hear from Shoenfield on the subject.
So now any coach with an assistant who runs the D is "clueless about defensemen and their management?"

Just because Torts has decided to devote his time to fixing the forwards (who need more fixing for the new system), shouldn't discredit his viewpoint on the D at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I'm definitely holding out hope that he has some untapped offense lingering somewhere within him, but I have to admit that I'm a little concerned that he just might not have it.

I'm fine with that, by the way. The kid is already a stud shutdown defender, and with Sanguinetti and MDZ coming down the pipe we'll be fine with offense from the blueline even if Marc doesn't wake up.
Well Staal started as a low scoring D-man in his first OHL season, and two years later he put up 49 points. I have a feeling next year everything will start to click with Marc, and we'll see him put up 25-30 points.

we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Fletch

it's tough to say what Staal's offensive potential is. I don't put much into his increase in the OHL - he was a pretty advanced d-man in the OHL his last couple seasons and thus was able to do well against the less defensemen. Maybe it was the start of something, but I tend to think it was that he was a better skater and a better puck handler comparatively speaking and that added to his offense. I could be wrong - we'll see how he develops.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:46 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Cmon, Tortorella has only been here 5 games. Let's not make him a savior yet
So true. Most teams who get a new coach mid season do well right after.

Let see what the team is doing in a month before we start kissing his ring finger.

That said it's nice to see the passion back.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:14 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 View Post
Sorry, I meant to say this season he hasn't really benefited from playing in Renney's sytem. I think Renney taught him most of what needed to be known last year... and he had been doing it pretty darn well

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 11:22 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
So now any coach with an assistant who runs the D is "clueless about defensemen and their management?"
Not any coach, just one particular. That is normal. The coach cannot know all aspects of the game at expert level. Renney wasn't very good at PP, for instance. When Torts speaks about what will he do to improve the PP, I would listen with full attention. When he talks about Staal's and Girardi's potential, I'd rather not.