HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price getting his 5th start in a row

Old
03-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I meant mainly in term of personality. But Price is not on the level of Marc-André.
What exact level would you put Fleury on right now?IMO he his not better then Price...

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
What exact level would you put Fleury on right now?IMO he his not better then Price...
Fleury I think is definitly more established in this league and he went to the cup. I think Fleury is more stable and there's no period of crying and "going back to find his game".

I still don't like Fleury's style however.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Fleury I think is definitly more established in this league and he went to the cup. I think Fleury is more stable and there's no period of crying and "going back to find his game".

I still don't like Fleury's style however.
Price won Gold for Canada,Fleury choked

Fleury is in his 5th full season,Price in his 2nd,in 2-3 years I guarantee you Price will bring us all the way.

Didn't Fleury cry after the USA game?

Old
03-11-2009, 05:57 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005 View Post
What no one chooses to remember is that Halak was just as crappy as Price leading up to his 4-game win streak (6-2 against Calgary anyone?). So great, Halak played well for 4 games, Price has played well for 3. Habs have won 6 of 8. Number one goalie is on a hot streak and playing well. Backup played well and is now on the bench again. Why exactly is there a controversy?
I am not sure Price played well last night. He did make some game saving stops in the third period gut the 3 goals he allowed are kind of soft. The first one, he allowed the puck to went above his glove and the shot is from a very sharp angle. The second one, there is a deflection by Pleks but the shot is from far and unscreen (he should have enough time to see it deflection or not). The third one, he pushed the puck into his own net (knowing the puck is behind him and Kosto was also behind him, he should not make much movement). Right now, I still feel Halak is a better goalie.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:10 PM
TCIH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I am not sure Price played well last night. He did make some game saving stops in the third period gut the 3 goals he allowed are kind of soft. The first one, he allowed the puck to went above his glove and the shot is from a very sharp angle. The second one, there is a deflection by Pleks but the shot is from far and unscreen (he should have enough time to see it deflection or not). The third one, he pushed the puck into his own net (knowing the puck is behind him and Kosto was also behind him, he should not make much movement). Right now, I still feel Halak is a better goalie.
Agree with you on the first goal, and the third goal is indicative of nervousness I think; he seemed to leak a lot of pucks through, and had a few opportunities to catch/smother a puck but let them get away from him.

But the second goal was an extremely high velocity shot that deflected at around the hash marks. Halak has superior twitch reflexes in my opinion, but even he wouldn't have been able to stop it.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Inked87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas84 View Post
Amen,

he didnt look too pleased either...cant blame the guy, as much as he is our backup the kid was doing back flips to win us games and then gets shopped back to the bench..gotta be a hard pill to swallow
Yeah I was there, I thought it was great the crowd gave him the ovation he deserves. However, I noticed he seemed ticked off. I understand he's the back up goalie and Price has been playing well. I just feel bad for the guy....

Inked87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
What no one chooses to remember is that Halak was just as crappy as Price leading up to his 4-game win streak (6-2 against Calgary anyone?). So great, Halak played well for 4 games, Price has played well for 3. Habs have won 6 of 8. Number one goalie is on a hot streak and playing well. Backup played well and is now on the bench again. Why exactly is there a controversy?
Its not just that. Price has had stretches of 10, 12, 15 games during the past two seasons where he has been brilliant, but people seem to forget that when he has a bad stretch. Halak has had his good stretches too, but he's also had some where he was really shaky.

Both goalies are very young even to be in the NHL, so there's bound to be some inconsistency. Gotta give someone the ball getting ready for the playoffs. The bottom line for me is who plays better when they are really on their game and to me its obvious: Price.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:18 PM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
It's nice to see Price playing well again, but I'd like to see Halak get another start soon... I mean, he was playing unbelievably, winning games on his own. Price has been good, but not as good as Jaro was playing.
Hopefully Halak gets the chance to keep Brodeur away from the record on Saturday.

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1651
Quote:

Fleury is in his 5th full season,Price in his 2nd,in 2-3 years I guarantee you Price will bring us all the way.

Price cried after a regular season game against Washington last year

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:33 PM
JrHockeyFan

Halak had a hot stretch just when we needed him. But a superior goalie? No way! One Molson Cup month does not eclipse Price's resume.

I still believe that Price should have sat longer after that high ankle sprain. Miller is sitting for the Sabres and they are desperate for wins to make the place offs. Miller said what he has is considered a mild sprain but coming back in 1 or 2 weeks is not realistic

If Price stumbles then Halak gets to play again. That's the reality of it.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:38 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCIH View Post
Agree with you on the first goal, and the third goal is indicative of nervousness I think; he seemed to leak a lot of pucks through, and had a few opportunities to catch/smother a puck but let them get away from him.

But the second goal was an extremely high velocity shot that deflected at around the hash marks. Halak has superior twitch reflexes in my opinion, but even he wouldn't have been able to stop it.
What worry me is that Price does not have the mental toughness of a good goalie. When he allowed a bad goal, he start to fall apart. A goalie like Roy/Brodeur also allowed bad goal. After the bad goal, these guys got mad and worked even harder to make up for their mistake. When these goalies are ahead in a game, they become so difficullt to beat. When their team is down by one, they simply shut you down to allow their team to come back. This mental toughness is an integral part of a goalie. You either have it or you don't. I don't think you can acquire it with playing more and gaining experience.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:45 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

When Fleury came up and saw all that rubber for the Pens, folks were impressed that he was able to make desperation saves with no consideration for rebounds or control. They forgave him for that because the Pens were defensively inept at the time

I figured as he matured he would become a better rebound control guy. I don't see that he has progressed much at all that way.

I can't believe anybody would suggest they would rather have Fleury instead of Price

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:50 PM
TheCH*

No matter how much better Halak plays then Price, it seems to be set in stone Price is the #1. I don't like that at all..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:53 PM
habdynasty

Dont cry Halak will get another chance.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:54 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
I was at the game yesterday when Halak received the Molson Cup award.

HE got a HUGE ovation from the fans at Bell Centre and you could see in his face that he doesn't accept to be number 2 now which is understandable.
Garon couldn't either but it looks like Thoe turned out to be the better choice and is still a #1 in the league as Garon is with his third team since leaving Montreal and is still a #2 and struggling at that.

Price is the #1, Halak see's that and he will be traded either way if he asks Gainey or if Gainey just does it anyway to avoid the distraction and conterversy.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
I cried when Carey cried.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Price will be the guy as long as Bob will be behind the bench. He's the golden boy and Bob will stand behind what he believe is the organisation's biggest assett.

So far, while making big saves Price has looked pretty shaky. Letting pucks slide between his pads, etc...Price reminds me so much of MA Fleury the way he can make great saves, then let slide a few weak ones.

The truth is, at this point in time, Halak is superior than Price.
I find your reasoning interesting because Halak too had plenty of shots go through him or hit the post. Halak was great but games like San Jose were he had 3 or 4 goal post, Vancouver goal post, there was another game where a defenseman had to save him because the puck got through him.

I don't think Halak is any more or less shaky looking the Price is currently however Jaro had to make more spectacular saves.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:07 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I cry sometimes at night for no reason. It's called lachrymology, *******s. You guys should try it sometime.

Price prevails.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
however Jaro had to make more spectacular saves.
this is why Price is better. Halak looked betetr doing it, however a lot of those spectacular saves Halak was making were made routine by Price either by superior positioning or superior rebound control which mitigated those 2nd and 3rd chance opportunities.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
I find your reasoning interesting because Halak too had plenty of shots go through him or hit the post. Halak was great but games like San Jose were he had 3 or 4 goal post, Vancouver goal post, there was another game where a defenseman had to save him because the puck got through him.

I don't think Halak is any more or less shaky looking the Price is currently however Jaro had to make more spectacular saves.
People get fooled by spectacular saves

Spectacular saves does not mean your better....it means your out of position and you gotta make a desperation save because you got caught.

The lower the amount of spectacular saves, the better the goalie cuz he's always at the right place.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:47 PM
All-Star

Good... A lot of Halak's game revolves around having sharp reflexes to make up for his size. I could see him having a Theodore type of career where he'll look absolutely amazing at times, but at other times, he'll look absolutely average. I believe many of Halak's game breaking saves would have looked easy if a positionally sound bigger goalie had made them. Price has a much greater upside where, with experience, his size and positioning should help keep shots out even if he's not quite "on". A guy like Halak, on the other hand, will have to be "on" at all times to have success. Price won't gain the required experience by sitting on the bench...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Bullsmith

Clearly Halak's starts are in Price's hands, not his own. He did everything, everything, to deserve at least splitting time until he loses a couple.

But this is pro sports and Price is a potential franchise player. In the larger scheme of things for a late round pick who started in NA in the ECHL, Halak hasn't exactly been held back. He's been on an NHL roster a lot of games for someone his age, much less a goalie.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:57 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:

The controversy comes from the rabid nature of Habs fans and their need for drama.

The word was to go with the hot hand, which was Halak. Halak got sick, so in goes Price. Price has played well since, so why would Halak go back in? Just becaue he played well for a few games? To me, Halak should sit until Price falters. In Carey has a bad game, put Halak in next game and let him run with it until he plays poorly.

This type of competition can only make both Halak and Price better goalies. What right does Jaroslav Halak have to be upset with anyone?? Upset he's not playing, that's fine. He should be upset, just like any Hab not playing should be upset. It's called passion. But upset at the coach, or the GM, or whoever?? For what?? What does Halak deserve so badly that he's not getting??? The young man is only 23 years old, with a mere 50 games under his NHL belt.

To me he's getting exactly what he deserves. 28 games for the Habs this year, likely more before the season ends.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Yes I know but he his saying that Price cried after a game when Fleury did the same

Old
03-11-2009, 11:06 PM
shealy04

Carey rules. He's our starter. There's no controversy. Halak is a stellar back-up. Will probably get to start for a team not named Montreal. Doesn't seem too complicated to me.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote