HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price getting his 5th start in a row

Old
03-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Stubbs88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Do you guys realize the guy was stopping over 45 shots per game? With at least 20 scoring chances per game. Halak was awesome, he carried this team alone for 5 ****ing games. You guys wanna talk about his rebound control? Go ahead,but it wasn't an issue back then because he did better in that aspect.

Some people forget way too fast,that's a shame...
seriously?..noone is questioning Halaks play, everyone knows what he did and how great he played, Price got his chance to come back and he snatched it up. He is getting back into form and I think everyone would be more comfortable heading into the playoffs with Price playing like he can.

Speaking of forgetting way to fast..do you remember how good Price looked pre ASG, he was great. He got injured and came back and didn't look ready. So they ran with Halak. Halak got sick and Price got another chance, he is starting to look better and if he starts playing like he did early on this year then ANYTHING is possible.

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
I can't take this any more. Are the memories of Halak's monster performances fading. The entertaining (spectacular) saves he made were mostly with the glove, and they were great saves.

Meanwhile last game Price completely missed one on the short (AKA the American Hockey League) side and let 2 leak through the five hole.

I will take stops of any variety over misses, regardless of where goalies are positioned or how they make it look.
I never said Halak didnt play good.
I dont care who's in nets...i am confident in both of them.

However last game...the Cogliano shot was WICKED and the Souray shot tipped on the way in, if not it was hitting Price square in the chest (it didnt go in 5 hole either so you might wanna re-look at that one). So to say the 3 goals were weak is a false statement

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
I'm talking when Price couldn't stop a shot to save his life.
what you are forgetting though is that when Price was hurt in January Halak couldn't stop a shot to save his life, but the team was scoring 6 goals a game so he kept winning.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

The best example of how rebound control saves a team was Price against Dallas. They absolutely stuck it to us for the first 25 minutes of that game, but their shot totals were reletively low because Price was able to put rebound after rebound into the corner while we were on the pk. This allowed our defence to reset and forced Dallas to start the cycle over again. Halak would have left rebounding lying in the crease area and would surely have surrendered 1 or 2 more goals than the one fluke goal Price gave up in that time, and we would not have come back from 3-0 in that game. That to me is the best example of why Price has to be the starter for us to win.

Old
03-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
what you are forgetting though is that when Price was hurt in January Halak couldn't stop a shot to save his life, but the team was scoring 6 goals a game so he kept winning.
people see the W so they dont care and forget about that.

they forget the offence was en panne for well over a month after that

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:04 AM
mistercassadine77

as long as we're winning I am fine with Price or Halak

with that said, Halak has had such a great home record something like 19-4, would have been nice to see him play this stretch especially with a team playing better in front of him.

mistercassadine77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 12:02 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I meant mainly in term of personality. But Price is not on the level of Marc-André.
Umm Price is better and would not have to go back down to MA Fluery level for a long time.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Yes I do remember that and I do remember how good was Price before his injury. I'm just answering to people who criticized Halak's performances when he's the reason why we kept a playoff spot the last 3 weeks. I just defend Halak and people think that I'm bashing Price, wtf?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 01:09 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I'm glad for him, but I feel bad for Halak. He got the flu at the wrong time..
Halak saved the Habs season. I hope Gainey will trade him next summer, so he can become a number 1 goalie somewhere else.

he won't be able to goal 70 games a season, but he could give a good 55 games no problem to his new team.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Maybe so, but to me, I don't care how many goals a goalie lets in, so long as the team is winning.

Halak may not of been playing well, but he played well enough to win. Price, until recently, was not. I don't care who plays, as long as they are playing well enough to win games.

Detroit, for example, even Colorado, has won Stanley Cups with mediocre goaltending. As long as your team as a whole plays good enough to win, then it doesn't matter if your goalie steals a bunch of games.

I actually hate when so much pressure is put on the goalies. They get *****ed at each night for letting in a couple of goals, yet our boys can't score a couple in their favour? Give me a break, right?

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercassadine77 View Post
as long as we're winning I am fine with Price or Halak
This.

I don't care if its Loic Lacasse, for heavens sake. If we are winning, great!

Old
03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
I never said Halak didnt play good.
I dont care who's in nets...i am confident in both of them.

However last game...the Cogliano shot was WICKED and the Souray shot tipped on the way in, if not it was hitting Price square in the chest (it didnt go in 5 hole either so you might wanna re-look at that one). So to say the 3 goals were weak is a false statement
2 leaked through the 5 hole. One was not a goal, Price recovered - I should have been more specific, my fault.

There is no need to debate that game it's the bigger picture that's at stake. Let's see how Gainey uses the keepers when both are healthy. If he reverts back to a Price-by-default strategy then Halak's great performances went unrewarded, and the message to him is bleak.

I say this for 2 reasons

1) I think a 1a and 1b goaltender arrangement is an absolute advantage for a hockey club

2) I don't think Price is yet as good as people make him to be and needs to earn more of what he gets.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 02:45 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
2 leaked through the 5 hole. One was not a goal, Price recovered - I should have been more specific, my fault.

There is no need to debate that game it's the bigger picture that's at stake. Let's see how Gainey uses the keepers when both are healthy. If he reverts back to a Price-by-default strategy then Halak's great performances went unrewarded, and the message to him is bleak.

I say this for 2 reasons

1) I think a 1a and 1b goaltender arrangement is an absolute advantage for a hockey club

2) I don't think Price is yet as good as people make him to be and needs to earn more of what he gets.
In a 1a and 1b scenario, how many games would you see each goalie play in the year? 50-30?

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 03:01 PM
dustyrockon

Congrats for Price. I hope he keeps up the good work!

dustyrockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
And he should...After all, without the golden child, your city would be championship-less since your team's inception.
Carey Price was part of the championship team, I hope you don't think he walk in here and won it all by himself.

He was MVP because scoring was by committee and therefore no one forward stood out.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Carey Price was part of the championship team, I hope you don't think he walk in here and won it all by himself.

He was MVP because scoring was by committee and therefore no one forward stood out.
if you think that team wins without Price you are kidding yourself.

Old
03-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
if you think that team wins without Price you are kidding yourself.

These type of posts are exactly the reason that makes Price seem like Brodeur, Roy, or Hasek.. which he's not at this point of his career. He's a ******* 21-year old kid..

We gave Price the chance to win last year, he choked hard. I hope that doesn't happen this year, and I don't think it will.. but this is just an example that Price isn't god, like some of you seem to think.

This team CAN win with Halak in net.. if you think any differently, you're kidding yourself.

Old
03-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Halak saved the Habs season. I hope Gainey will trade him next summer, so he can become a number 1 goalie somewhere else.

he won't be able to goal 70 games a season, but he could give a good 55 games no problem to his new team.
We don't owe nothing to the kid...he's cheap and he's a great number 2.

Why would we trade him?

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

These type of posts are exactly the reason that makes Price seem like Brodeur, Roy, or Hasek.. which he's not at this point of his career. He's a ******* 21-year old kid..

We gave Price the chance to win last year, he choked hard. I hope that doesn't happen this year, and I don't think it will.. but this is just an example that Price isn't god, like some of you seem to think.

This team CAN win with Halak in net.. if you think any differently, you're kidding yourself.
He meant the Bulldogs, in the 07 playoffs.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
He meant the Bulldogs, in the 07 playoffs.
Ah, I see.
Thanks.

However, that just makes it even stupider sounding. They didn't have a chance to win with the best goalie in the AHL at the time?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-12-2009, 06:04 PM
kalessin

Some people have to realize that Halak isn't the first goalie to ever get stuck behind someone else on a depth chart as a young player.

I don't think anyone would deny that guys like Bryzgalov or Toskala (okay, bad example maybe!) are worthy starting goalies yet they spent the first few years of their career as backups.

Halak is still young and doesn't deserve to go somewhere else and be their starting goalie, he's a professional and will do what his team needs from him.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Halak = Vokoun or Hasek

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 06:19 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
We don't owe nothing to the kid...he's cheap and he's a great number 2.

Why would we trade him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by starglider View Post
Some people have to realize that Halak isn't the first goalie to ever get stuck behind someone else on a depth chart as a young player.

I don't think anyone would deny that guys like Bryzgalov or Toskala (okay, bad example maybe!) are worthy starting goalies yet they spent the first few years of their career as backups.

Halak is still young and doesn't deserve to go somewhere else and be their starting goalie, he's a professional and will do what his team needs from him.

Exactly, I just don't get what all the fuss is about. Nicely put guys.

I'm sure Jaroslav Halak is a professsional and will conduct himself in that way. The cream always rises to the top, if he's destined to be a #1 he will get there eventually.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 06:23 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
Halak = Vokoun or Hasek
That's what I am most afraid of. I am one of Price biggest supporter. Right now, I am a little bit concern. As I said earlier, he does not seem to have the mental toughness of a good goalie (crying after a game, given up after one or two bad goals, etc). I also worry about his reflexes. He seemed to have a slow glove hand and he did not have fast lateral movement (in my opinion). Most of the people here are certain Price is a better goalie. But I still have doubt about him. I will be estatic if Price can prove me wrong.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 07:54 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
That's what I am most afraid of. I am one of Price biggest supporter. Right now, I am a little bit concern. As I said earlier, he does not seem to have the mental toughness of a good goalie (crying after a game, given up after one or two bad goals, etc). I also worry about his reflexes. He seemed to have a slow glove hand and he did not have fast lateral movement (in my opinion). Most of the people here are certain Price is a better goalie. But I still have doubt about him. I will be estatic if Price can prove me wrong.

I can't believe you are questioning whether Carey Price has the mental toughness of a good goalie. Have you watched anything of his hockey career prior to this season? If you had, you wouldn't make that comment.

And don't worry about Carey's reflexes, I think he'll show you they're fine

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote