HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

New rules look to curb fighting

Old
03-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Basically if it happens right at the face-off.

Those are dumb.
that's not a very good guide IMO. there are lots of meaningful fights which occur right off the face-off (Lindros/Doig for example).

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

vCash: 500
I told you Torts would make this team wimpy.....

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:55 PM
2 Late 2 Anton

Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
HRM. The instigator rule is dumb. What's to prevent a guy from headhunting all night instead of playing hockey, for the sake of wearing down a guy like Martin St. Louis? You'll definitely see that happening if this new crap makes it to the NHL.

And the biggest problem with fighting is all the clutching and hugging that goes on. If you don't want guys to bust their hands up, or get their head tackled into the ice, get rid of that malarky.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 08:27 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm pretty sure fighting in the NHL will disappear in my lifetime, so enjoy while you still can.
I don't buy it. There are fights in basketball and baseball even though it's not allowed. There are several things they want to amend. One is an Orr/Brashear fight after the second faceoff of a game... they fight because they fight.

Another is a guy getting jumped because he hit Crosby cleanly and the Pens don't like it.

And finally they are looking to make fights safer be instructing the refs to stop a fight if a guy loses his helmet. Yes, it will limit the number of fights and yes it will 'soften' the game, but these are the same things said about mandatory helmets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mowinckel View Post
HRM. The instigator rule is dumb. What's to prevent a guy from headhunting all night instead of playing hockey, for the sake of wearing down a guy like Martin St. Louis? You'll definitely see that happening if this new crap makes it to the NHL.

And the biggest problem with fighting is all the clutching and hugging that goes on. If you don't want guys to bust their hands up, or get their head tackled into the ice, get rid of that malarky.
Well the issue isn't the instigator rule. The issue is the weak disciplinary action by the league. They are too soft on hits to the head and attempts to injur. Until they are willing to suspend people 20 games for a first time offense and 41 for repeat offenses guys will take cheap shots. I'm not talking about borderline hits, I'm talking about elbows up, leaving the feet, bullseye on the head-Gauthier hits.

They are more concerned about hurtful words than concussions. Once they correct that, the reason to attack a player in retaliation will go away.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 08:33 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
This is absolutely unbelievable. Fighting is apart of hockey and it is what separates hockey from other sports. I am very surprised there has not been a bigger outcry from fans about this because it is a big part of the game. It is more than two guys just beating the crap out of each other...fighting is used for other purposes in the game as well. I never thought I would see the day when fighting would be limited so much in the NHL. Georges Laraque is exactly right in his comments and I hope he can do something to have a say in this when it is all said and done.

Quote:
From Georges Laraque

'The GMs need to find ways to make fighting safer instead of taking fighting out of the game,'' Laraque said Tuesday in Montreal. ''With the instigator rule, you have more cheap shots in the game than ever. Having a 10-minute misconduct won't stop that. They should look at helmets or whatever to make it safer, not more penalties.''

Stupidest thing ever. I think it's a joke. They might as well take fighting out of the NHL. Fighting won't be safer, it will be eliminated because an added 10-minute misconduct is too much."

"Why even bother showing up for training camp," Laraque said. "Bottom line, I don't agree with what they are recommending. No one in that meeting (fights) for a living. Why am I not there, or a player who this is directly going to impact?"
Totally agree with the man.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Fletch

how many fights are there in the Swedish, Finnish, Czech and other European leagues?

EDIT: I hope Sather speaks up in these meetings and recalls the days his team had TGO in the middle and Semenko riding on his wing. I would think that since all Sather really has is the 80s he'd want to get the league back to that state soon before his time's up.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:58 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
LOL thanks i am ok so far as I don't these rules will pass. It will increase stick work and more injuries from sticks then fights
Just making sure buddy.

This really pisses me off by the way. Players should police themselves, not refs.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote