HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

• 3/12 • New York Rangers @ Nashville Predators • 8:00 PM • MSG

Old
03-12-2009, 10:09 PM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
Good win, solid effort.

I love what Avery brings to the team AGAIN!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:12 PM
rosesareredroses

at the same time, i doubt he thought "hmm we will win if i bench this kid." it worked out because it worked out.

hockey is so exhilarating and frustrating i am surprised i don't end up hospitalized over it.

rosesareredroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:13 PM
AXN

I thought Girardi could have been benched also for letting the puck go off his foot for a goal. Zherdev should have known to get the puck deep and not pass back when the point is covered. It was much easier to bench Zherdev. That woke them up. Why Naslund on the third line? Your leading goal scorer on the third line? He should at least be with Drury and Antropov. I know Tortorella loves Dubinsky but he is better at centering the third line.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:30 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Good win..

Love the Gomez line tonight..

Love the Zherdev benching....

Love how the team responded after the first..

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

What I think is he benched Z, and the teams makes a 180 degree turn and they great so he keeps it going.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Pizza

Bear in mind that I'm a fan Of Tom Renney, but a month ago you could pretty much have written this game off after the first....or they squeek out a tie in the SO.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:33 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
I think its comical that you cant give the guy any credit, regardless of his performance. He was flying all over tonight.
And yet, despite "his flying", it was still Avery and Callahan who were making the key plays, not Gomez.

Quote:
Also, the team as a whole was awful the other night.
And?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:37 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
And yet, despite "his flying", it was still Avery and Callahan who were making the key plays, not Gomez.
I think Gomez deserves a lot of credit. He was fantastic tonight. Dominant, really. He was making just as many great plays as Avery and Cally were.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ruckus*

I'm with Sting on this. Gomez played well tonight but he needs to play like that on a regular basis before he deserves any praise around here.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

I, for one, am very happy that we finally have games in hand on the teams next to us in the standings, as opposed to vice-versa.

If we win our game in hand against PIT we can be back in 6th. Git'r done!

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:44 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I, for one, am very happy that we finally have games in hand on the teams next to us in the standings, as opposed to vice-versa.

If we win our game in hand against PIT we can be back in 6th. Git'r done!

IF we can sweep Philly we'll be tied in points.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:50 PM
jrd303

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I'm also entitled to voice my opinion on the situation without being personally attacked.
I'll take a hit for that. I'm guilty of personally attacking you by calling you a tool and I apologize. When you said you didn't care about the win I got heated. Team results come before player's ego for me.

Looking over your posts I can see your just looking out for what you think are the best long term interests of the team and voicing what you think will get the team there. I'll try to keep it to the facts moving forward.

To me Zherdev has to earn the sweater. If his behavior deserves a benching he needs to be benched. I don't want the organization to *****foot around the players. We've been through years of guys collecting a check and playing like thieves. Accountability comes before anything else.

If I'm Torts I'm not going to get over excited because Z is scoring points. He's expected to score points. For the team to be successful they need Z to do more than just score points. They need him to play hockey. If he's not willing to do that he can sit in the press box for all I care. Untill Z gets that into his skull he'll be nothing more than a tease in this league. He's got the mojo to be a star but his work ethic and focus knock him down to being just a guy with potential. He's 24. It's not unreasonable to expect him to carry the responsibility of being a complete hockey player by now. If he's not willing to accept correction and work hard at a critical time of the season the Rangers need to take a pass on him. If I was Torts I'd ride his ass the rest of the season. If Z's not up to the challenge let him waste some other team's valuable ice time. We've enough loafers as it is on this team.

jrd303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:54 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
IF we can sweep Philly we'll be tied in points.
Philly has 2 games on us. But next week we have a 4 day rest break so that will give us a game on Buffalo and Florida if I am not mistaken.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Zirp

I think Torts is sending a message that seemed to reverberate down the bench. Z is notorious for making those crazy backpasses from behind the net and we got burned on it, regardless of the bad bounce off of Girardi's skate or not. Honestly, i think Torts is either going to get the best out of Z or Z is going to be in the doghouse. He has the skills, I think Torts is trying to push his buttons and push him to be better. Let's hope he responds positively. LET'S GO RANGERS!

Zirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:04 PM
NYROrtsFan

Don't like the Zherdev benching... If it is for that pass, then that is garbage... There is no problem with going back to the point on that play. He just happened to miss the pass (as every single other ranger player has done throughout all the games). They said he played one more shift after that bad pass, so my guess is the benching had to do something with that.

I think Zherdev getting benched has everything to do with reputation at this point. His reputation is that he doesn't always give it 100% but the guy has busted his ass since he's been with the team. He's almost always back checking and doesn't cherry pick by any means. And he's also done well in Torts' system.

Dumb benching but the team did well.

Avery Gomez Callahan could do very well because all 3 guys like to play off the rush. That is all Gomez needs around him. Fellow guys who like to play off the rush, and get shots that way.

Dubinsky still sucks. He just has zero vision with his passes. Has no feel for where things are on the ice. Same stupid passes out to the point instead of showing any creativity going somewhere else with the puck. He is fast, and does pursue well for Torts' system though.

After tonight, I'd like to see:

Avery Gomez Callahan
Naslund Korpikoski Zherdev
Dubinsky Drury Antropov
Sjostrom Betts Orr

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:12 PM
NYR Viper

I think the reason he was benched is because he was beaten off of the puck and fell both times and decided to sit there and complain instead of getting up and getting back in the play. I saw it twice in the first half of the game before I had to go play hockey myself and I was thinking he either needed a stern talking to or to be benched. He showed so little effort after he was knocked down that it was laughable.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:14 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Don't like the Zherdev benching... If it is for that pass, then that is garbage... There is no problem with going back to the point on that play. He just happened to miss the pass (as every single other ranger player has done throughout all the games). They said he played one more shift after that bad pass, so my guess is the benching had to do something with that.

I think Zherdev getting benched has everything to do with reputation at this point. His reputation is that he doesn't always give it 100% but the guy has busted his ass since he's been with the team. He's almost always back checking and doesn't cherry pick by any means. And he's also done well in Torts' system.

Dumb benching but the team did well.

Avery Gomez Callahan could do very well because all 3 guys like to play off the rush. That is all Gomez needs around him. Fellow guys who like to play off the rush, and get shots that way.

Dubinsky still sucks. He just has zero vision with his passes. Has no feel for where things are on the ice. Same stupid passes out to the point instead of showing any creativity going somewhere else with the puck. He is fast, and does pursue well for Torts' system though.

After tonight, I'd like to see:

Avery Gomez Callahan
Naslund Korpikoski Zherdev
Dubinsky Drury Antropov
Sjostrom Betts Orr
i think he prolly showed torts attitude. nobody gets that kind of benching for a bad pass

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:22 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
the preds broadcasters are brutal
you are not kidding.... Most Preds fans mute the tv and listen to our radio announcer (whom, IMO, is one of the top radio announcers in all of the NHL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
very college hockey like atmosphere. A lot of chants, a lot of "you suck", and a loud group of 16,000 people here in Nashville.

Guys, our PP sucks. Now without one of our top PP guys (Arnott) tonight, it is even worse... Ellis leaves a ton of rebounds (and i mean a ton) so get to the net. Also, look to get a lead on the Predators as we are not a fast team like we used to be. So the Preds gaining any momentum will be hard when behind.

Good luck to you guys!
I wish I was wrong in guessing in the game

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:27 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Very solid win all around. I wish they would play like this every night...couple of things:

1. Zherdev being benched was great. Accountability is something we wanted on this team and it is nice to see a player getting benched for poor play despite what his stats say from the last couple of games.

2. Gomez, Callahan, and Avery was the best line of the night. Avery had his best night as a Ranger (including before his 2nd stint) in my opinion. The guy had a hand in 3 of the 4 goals the boys scored tonight. He is playing with an edge and with a fire under his ass. I hope it spreads to other people. HE WAS A BEAST!

3. Dan Girardi has been one of the worst players on this team in the past month. I don't know if it was from playing with Redden so long or what but he needs to get his act together and quick or he will be up in the owner's suite watching games in a suit.

4. Congrats to Henrik on a record for himself. Lets hope he keeps breaking the 30 win plateau for the rest of his career.

5. Tortorella has good post game quotes.

6. Did I mention Avery was a Beast?

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:30 PM
jrd303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Bear in mind that I'm a fan Of Tom Renney, but a month ago you could pretty much have written this game off after the first....or they squeek out a tie in the SO.
I feel sorry for Renny. He was handcuffed to a core of players in complete opposition to his work ethic. Sather collected a bunch of floaters and expected Renny to turn them into workhorses.

It's a shame that the 'stars' that were paid a fortune to produce left him out to dry. Renny was and is an excellent coach and a person deserving a great deal of respect for his work here. Scotty Bowman couldn't keep this band of underachievers motivated for 82 games.

Torts is what this team needed to fill the Garden for this April and it was a good move, but Tortorella is just the representative for Sather's anger at the way his expensive acquisitions had performed this season.

Renney's ultimate fault was that he treated a team of boys like men. Renny was one of my favorite Ranger coaches. He changed a losing culture that endured here for nearly a decade. He helped bring hope to a team that was destitute and helped the development of all the youth in the organization. In the end he was a fall guy for a hastly constructed team.

The truth of the matter is the Rangers aren't gunning for a cup but just trying to sell playoff tickets for little Jimmy. Anyone here think Sather's job is in danger so long as the Rangers make the playoffs and keep the money coming in?

Jimmy isn't the guy with the passion to conquer, he's the attention seeking kid. If the money's good Jimmy feels like he's a success.

jrd303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:39 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Snowball? It snowballed into a 4-2 win. I could see people complaining if we lost but maybe benching Zherdev set a fire under this team and maybe it will do the same for Zherdev.
I meant "snowball" in terms of Zherdev's confidence and Torts continuously singling him out to the media like he did with a lot of his Tampa players.

The last thing we want is Zherdev losing interest in playing for this team when he clearly has the potential to be a star. I understand Torts has his methods, and we shouldn't treat Zherdev any different from the rest of the team. But in all honesty I just want this to get resolved already.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:53 PM
trilobyte

I wonder whether Niki has a mentor, an older person who is not a teammate. Someone who can guide him, probably better if they have nothing to do with the team. I just get this sense about him that he needs that.

I too would hate to see him distance himself from being the best he can right when he is needed the most. I still think that is up to him, the choice is his.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:55 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

1) I thought the Gomez line was great but I need to see them do it on a nightly basis. they are on the smallish side (although they don't play "small") so i would like to see what they can do against bigger teams like Philly and the Devils.

2) PK was very good as usual but I noticed a lot of time that all four PK'ers collapsed below the goal line to fight for the puck against only two or three Preds. That's a big no-no. It was a trait they developed last year with Renny and it burned them in the Pens series. Just keep one guy to press the puck carriers behind the net and press the wings and points IMO

3) Girardi has his best 40 mins of hockey in a while after the 2 Preds goals. I hope he turns it around. Morris also had a very good game and has been the best "6th" defenseman we've had in a long time.

4) Naslund -- you know, every time I bash this guy he bounces back and scores a goal for us. he had a really bad game tonight and keeps making bad passes to the middle of the ice. But, he's still a valuable forward and I think a proud vet like him bounces back with a good game against Philly.

5) Bad penalties -- they need to tighten up. The refs have shown they don't like the Rangers' new aggressive style of play

6) Antropov -- can we please get this guy some chances. Drury is the last guy i would want passing to me. Maybe it's time to move Dubi back to center. the kid is a better passer than scorer, IMO

All in all a very good road win against a team who was playing well at home. Keep em coming

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd303 View Post
I feel sorry for Renny. He was handcuffed to a core of players in complete opposition to his work ethic. Sather collected a bunch of floaters and expected Renny to turn them into workhorses.

It's a shame that the 'stars' that were paid a fortune to produce left him out to dry. Renny was and is an excellent coach and a person deserving a great deal of respect for his work here. Scotty Bowman couldn't keep this band of underachievers motivated for 82 games.

Torts is what this team needed to fill the Garden for this April and it was a good move, but Tortorella is just the representative for Sather's anger at the way his expensive acquisitions had performed this season.

Renney's ultimate fault was that he treated a team of boys like men. Renny was one of my favorite Ranger coaches. He changed a losing culture that endured here for nearly a decade. He helped bring hope to a team that was destitute and helped the development of all the youth in the organization. In the end he was a fall guy for a hastly constructed team.

The truth of the matter is the Rangers aren't gunning for a cup but just trying to sell playoff tickets for little Jimmy. Anyone here think Sather's job is in danger so long as the Rangers make the playoffs and keep the money coming in?

Jimmy isn't the guy with the passion to conquer, he's the attention seeking kid. If the money's good Jimmy feels like he's a success.
I agree with much of what your saying here and I also feel bad for how things turned out for Renney. He was a class guy. He played a huge role in bringing respect back to the organization. He'll always have my admiration for that.

Time just ran out for him and he lost the team. There is a lot of talk about chemistry among the players, but the coach and the players have to be in synch as well.

Renney takes a lot of flak round here, but I still dig him. I think he'll win a cup someday.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:25 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think Gomez deserves a lot of credit. He was fantastic tonight. Dominant, really. He was making just as many great plays as Avery and Cally were.
You and I have completely different definitions for the word dominant. There was nothing even close to dominant about his performance. This is like you calling Redden dominant, or my favorite, "a force."

Watch the game again, and notice how when that line was on the ice, and something good happened, virtually every time, it was because of something that Callahan or Avery did.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote