HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Accountability????

Old
03-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
GAGline...

you're right, he didn't change the lines each practice; he did, however, change them a real heck of a lot. Part of it was because of the group that was assembled. Another part of it was the the coach wanted to still see certain combos and when they didn't work he would change a part. It's very difficult to know if the ultimate combo was there and he missed it or that it just never existed.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 02:00 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I lost respect for Torts last game. All talk little action.

Avery: 2 pen. in the offencve zone.........one on the PP........result......more icetime,
Moved to the first line ,put on the PP...........How was that earned??

Gomez: 3 pen. 2 in the O zone..........result: no cosequence at all.......same if not more ice time......

Sounds like favorites all over again.

Scrambaling of lines in the 3rd........just like Renney
As much as I do not like the rangers, some of Avery's penalties called on him have been very questionable.

He has been the coach for only a couple games, Rome wasn't built in a day

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 03:08 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Hyperbole is fun, isn't it? He didn't change the lines nearly that much. It probably just seemed that way since people pissed and moaned every time he did it, and people are always pissing and moaning about something on this forum.
Torts stuck with the same lines for 8 periods after the trade deadline. That's 2 2/3 games. Then, in the third, when nobody had anything going, he made a few switches to get a little energy going. Now, he made one change to the lines that started the last game.

Compare that to Renney, who would routinely change lines every other game, and switch lines around mid-game frequently, as well.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
I believe he was talking about Gomez...
Ah, yes, big difference. Sorry!

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
You are incorrect.

This is fact.
Fact it is and here is one more: No matter who screwed up, he would sit Prucha!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Nick00

The players on this team are still mentally fragile and lacking confidence.
Torts is smart enough to know that.
He knows when to push and when not to.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:34 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

nick z played what...5 mins tonight......

sure as hell sent a message tonight

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

LOVE the Zherdev benching tonight.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
makes two of us.

03-12-2009, 10:59 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
makes two of us.
how can you not with the results.....they need to play like that every game....and with torts i think they will.....for the most part

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 08:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
how can you not with the results.....they need to play like that every game....and with torts i think they will.....for the most part
I think when Torts got here and people were calling for accountability, some were imagining Torts lighting guys up on the bench or in the papers. And basically serve as a way for them to vent vicariously at guys they don't like (Drury, Gomez, Redden).

Accountability is for all — even guys who seemingly can do no wrong like Zherdev. Maybe Torts realizes the immense talent the guy has and all that's lacking is will and desire to bring it full on every shift.

Maybe Nik shold look around and see other guys raising their level of play and effort.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:05 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Maybe Nik shold look around and see other guys raising their level of play and effort.
Indeed. THAT is what will turn him from an enigma into the superstar he has the potential to be.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:09 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Hmm Z sits for over 40 minutes last night...

Avery - Gomez - Callahan, Girardi/Staal play extremely well and get the majority of the minutes the last 2 periods...

I'd say thats accountability... anyone want to dispute that?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I think when Torts got here and people were calling for accountability, some were imagining Torts lighting guys up on the bench or in the papers. And basically serve as a way for them to vent vicariously at guys they don't like (Drury, Gomez, Redden).

Accountability is for all even guys who seemingly can do no wrong like Zherdev. Maybe Torts realizes the immense talent the guy has and all that's lacking is will and desire to bring it full on every shift.

Torts has managed, thus far anyway, to instill accountability and keep it in the locker room, which is the way it should be.

The days of Zherdev getting by on just his talent alone are hopefully over.

Old
03-13-2009, 09:52 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Torts has managed, thus far anyway, to instill accountability and keep it in the locker room, which is the way it should be.

The days of Zherdev getting by on just his talent alone are hopefully over.
Seriously, WTF?

Zherdev is not some guy just skating around out there and only playing offense. He made one pass that he messed up on, and it really shouldn't have turned into a goal anyway. If you want to look player for player, there are some guys who make far more bad passes than Zherdev.

Also, Zherdev isn't out there being particularly soft either. He has been pretty godo taking the body since he's been here. He's also played defense too and I'd say that Avery sits higher on the ice than Zherdev does without a doubt.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Seriously, WTF?

Zherdev is not some guy just skating around out there and only playing offense. He made one pass that he messed up on, and it really shouldn't have turned into a goal anyway. If you want to look player for player, there are some guys who make far more bad passes than Zherdev.

Also, Zherdev isn't out there being particularly soft either. He has been pretty godo taking the body since he's been here. He's also played defense too and I'd say that Avery sits higher on the ice than Zherdev does without a doubt.
Maybe it's about raising expectations.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Seriously, WTF?

Simply put, he is the most naturally talented player on this team, and he should be held to a higher standard. He is so inconsistent, that its absurd. If he played with desire every shift, he'd be far better than a perennial 65 point 2nd line player.

Old
03-13-2009, 10:17 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Simply put, he is the most naturally talented player on this team, and he should be held to a higher standard. He is so inconsistent, that its absurd. If he played with desire every shift, he'd be far better than a perennial 65 point 2nd line player.
My only point is that suggesting he is mailing it in is incorrect... To anybody who watches the games, Zherdev is not out there just skating around. The effort is there.

And if you want life on the line desperation, even Malkin isn't out there doing that.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Seriously, WTF?

Wow, talk about someone that missed what happened. Go ahead and watch the highlight of that goal - you'll see four Rangers in your picture - the two defensemen dealing with the Pred's rush and two forwards hustling back to get in the play.

The fifth player (Zherdev) is nowhere to be found until the very end of the highlight- when he coasts back into the defensive zone and watches Girardi kick the puck in. At that point he throws his head up because he knows he's about to get reamed.

This wasn't about Zherdev trying to make a fancy play, it was about Zherdev trying to make a fancy play and taking the rest of the shift off when it didn't work out.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Salz

Quote:
My only point is that suggesting he is mailing it in is incorrect... To anybody who watches the games, Zherdev is not out there just skating around. The effort is there.

And if you want life on the line desperation, even Malkin isn't out there doing that.
I understand your point, but I don't think it was just that play. Torts probably saw he was dogging it throughout, and wanted to send a message that you should be giving it your all. I doubt it was just that one turnover.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 10:45 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
I understand your point, but I don't think it was just that play. Torts probably saw he was dogging it throughout, and wanted to send a message that you should be giving it your all. I doubt it was just that one turnover.
I made a point on the other thread that Totrs needed to bench someone and Z was an easy choice. It had nothing to do with his particular play, just the need to shake the things up.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Are you trying to tell me that Zherdev doesnt mail it in for long stretches or even games at a time? Its been his MO since hes been in the league. Torts realizes that if he can get Zherdev to be at his best on a nightly basis, that he could be a star in this league.

And more often times than not, words can only go so far.

Old
03-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I made a point on the other thread that Totrs needed to bench someone and Z was an easy choice. It had nothing to do with his particular play, just the need to shake the things up.
I disagree, I think it had everything to do with singling out Zherdev. It sent a message to him that taking shifts off wont be tolerated, and it sent a message to the entire team that ANYONE can be benched for indifferent play, even the teams most talented player in the midst of a playoff run.

Old
03-13-2009, 10:56 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Than why did Naslund get ripped off the top line, and receive under 10min of play? I think Torts is giving him a message as well. Something Renney would never dream of doing.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 11:08 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Than why did Naslund get ripped off the top line, and receive under 10min of play? I think Torts is giving him a message as well. Something Renney would never dream of doing.
Two words: Sean Avery. He is hot, while Naslund is cold. There is no sense to play cold player when hot is available. Should Avery be a Star, Naslund would never be demoted.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote