HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Impending Cap Complications (TSN Article)

Old
03-12-2009, 02:11 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Knuble currently makes 2.8, I don't see him coming down to 1.5, I just can't see that type of decrease. Sure, I'm sure he likes it here and loves the team and all...but why would a guy towards the end of his career take that large of a discount? I could see 2.5, 'maybe' 2.25...but not much more.
why can't we offer him a small, small base salary and give him an incentive-based deal, ones that we know he can fulfill? that might not free up a whole lot, but it would give us more breathing space.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
why can't we offer him a small, small base salary and give him an incentive-based deal, ones that we know he can fulfill? that might not free up a whole lot, but it would give us more breathing space.
We can, but it is the same as with vanRiemsdyk, it only postpones the problem to the following season.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 02:20 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
We can, but it is the same as with vanRiemsdyk, it only postpones the problem to the following season.
1 year deal then? or would those bonuses carry over?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
1 year deal then? or would those bonuses carry over?
If a deal includes bonuses it has to be a one year deal and the player has to be 35 years old at june 30. At least that are the rules for Knubles case.

Old
03-12-2009, 02:31 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
There is no chance in hell the cap is drops to $42 million.
I agree.

The first indicator that will impact the Cap for the '10-'11 season will be season ticket renewals. Until those numbers start to leak out, there is no empirical evidence to back-up the speculation of a massive drop in the Cap.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 02:33 PM
twenty2

Basically if we drop Jones and somehow take no salary back we have roughly $10m to work with and only have another defender to pick up.

We have plenty of options. I'm not worried in the least. Let the analysts preach doomsday til their throats are sore.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.rosenrosen View Post
lupuls and jones contracts are whats hurting us i think it's overpayment IMO. if we dump both of them and have people step up from the phantoms or where ever it may be we should be ok.
'Dumping' them isn't going to be as easy as it sounds, this isn't the NFL. If we don't like their salaries, I don't think other GM's would either. We can trade them (possibly), but it would be a deal similar to the Upshall, 2nd for Carcillo. You'll have to pay dearly, for the other team to take the salary.

Quote:
If the cap drops down to 42 million all teams are going to have cap problems
I can't see the cap dropping to 42 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
Of course we are going to take salary back for Lupul. I think depending on what Biron is going to want is really going to judge how we approach next season. If Biron points to that Cristobal Huet contract and says thats what I want, then it will be time to go in another direction. I have said it before Lupul for Josh Harding makes too much sense for both clubs. The Wild are going to need a scoring winger to replace Glassman when he is shown the door and the Flyers may need to look for another goaltender outside of this organization. Is Harding any better then Biron? probably not, but he will be cheaper if Biron decides to play hardball.
Of course if Biron signs at a reasonable number like you mentioned 3-35 per I wouldnt have a problem with it. Please NTC. is that too much to ask? Oh wait. nmind
As for Knuble I really think he is done here as well. Unless he wants to sign a cheap 1 year deal then fine. anything more then that wouldnt be a great idea going past next season.
Matt Carle? I really would like to keep some our draft picks so I think we may be stuck with that contract.
Ideally of course It would be great if they dealt Lupul and Carle and let Knuble walk into FA.

im stuck drinking just coffee right now, so no alcohol for me since I have that work thing in less then an hour.
Biron back at the same money might be wishful thinking. He got his current contract while coming out of Buffalo as Miller's backup. I have no idea what he wants, but he's proven himself to be a legitimate #1 goalie. I guess as fans, we can hope he'll stick around for a slight increase. If he want's a significant increase, the Flyers most likely would have to change directions...we simply can't afford it.

Coffee???

Vodka & 7-up with a lime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Basically if we drop Jones and somehow take no salary back we have roughly $10m to work with and only have another defender to pick up.

We have plenty of options. I'm not worried in the least. Let the analysts preach doomsday til their throats are sore.
And how do you drop Jones and take ZERO salary back? Anybody with an inflated contract, you can expect salary coming back. This is the salary cap era.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Lab Monkey

Move Jones for a bag of pucks. That clears out what like 2.75. Its not like we would have gotten that good of a return on the clown anyways even if the economy wasn't in the gutter.

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Lab Monkey

Quote:
And how do you drop Jones and take ZERO salary back? Anybody with an inflated contract, you can expect salary coming back. This is the salary cap era.
Offer him for next to nothing, or just waive him. Hes a hack.

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
Offer him for next to nothing, or just waive him. Hes a hack.
Holmgren is way to loyal to do that. He traded Gauthier and a second round pick to LA for nothing just to keep his promise. Jones is homegrown talent, he is here to stay.

Old
03-12-2009, 03:12 PM
dr.rosenrosen

put some butter next to jones locker and hope he slips and falls and pulls a hammy put him on LTIR for the whole season.

dr.rosenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:02 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.rosenrosen View Post
put some butter next to jones locker and hope he slips and falls and pulls a hammy put him on LTIR for the whole season.
Ok.

Anyway, if trading Lupul or Jones would require sending a pick, send the pick or waive them.

I would rather have Alberts back cheap then pay Jones way more money then he is worth.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
'Dumping' them isn't going to be as easy as it sounds, this isn't the NFL. If we don't like their salaries, I don't think other GM's would either. We can trade them (possibly), but it would be a deal similar to the Upshall, 2nd for Carcillo. You'll have to pay dearly, for the other team to take the salary.

I can't see the cap dropping to 42 million.

Biron back at the same money might be wishful thinking. He got his current contract while coming out of Buffalo as Miller's backup. I have no idea what he wants, but he's proven himself to be a legitimate #1 goalie. I guess as fans, we can hope he'll stick around for a slight increase. If he want's a significant increase, the Flyers most likely would have to change directions...we simply can't afford it.

Coffee???

Vodka & 7-up with a lime!

I would hope that Snider is watching Holmer carefully how he manages things this offseason and how he manages things. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize he hasnt handled the cap well over the course of the last 1 plus season going on 2.
nearly 10 million in UFA contracts coming off the books. We know what the needs are obviously.
Then there is JVR. Can we even afford to bring him in? Unless we sign him and give him a year in the AHL, which wouldnt be a bad thing. See Bobby Ryan.
I still dont think we can afford to bring back Knuble, especially if Lupul is still here.
Will Alberts be back? I hope not. What about Budrov? remember all the rumors of him coming over last offseason? He may be the wildcard for us as that 6th defenseman.
I dont think the Cap will drop 20 percent in one season. Cant see it. How many teams does that put over the cap then? just about everyone? doesnt make sense I agree.
Jones will never be traded. He is obviously a favorite of Stevens and Holmgren so we wait until after the 09/10 season to see what happens when hes a UFA.

going to the Monarchs game tonite. Bluemoon before and Labatts during the game on draft!

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 05:07 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
The Flyers aren't going to commit themselves to likely having a large bonus amount transfer over. If the cap is $50M in 2010-11, and the Flyers have $2.5M of dead cap space ... well, they are screwed.

I have setup a spreadsheet for next season ... I'll post it in the cap thread and people can play around with it if they want.

Don't forget, Rathje still will be on LTIR, so the Flyers are going to end next season with $0 cap room again.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Joey Mac

get rid of carle, lupul, and jones... we add van riemsdyk and sbisa and sign a cheap dman or bring up a guy like bodrov, marshall, or ratchuk

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:24 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I thought the whole point of the escrow was so that if there was a drop in the Cap, players would donate a portion of their salaries back to the team to keep the team under the cap. This cap system is really a mess.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I thought the whole point of the escrow was so that if there was a drop in the Cap, players would donate a portion of their salaries back to the team to keep the team under the cap. This cap system is really a mess.
Escrow has nothing to do with the salary cap. It only keeps the proportion between the owners and the players part of revenue intact.