HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Major paycut

Old
03-12-2009, 03:51 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Major paycut

So I have been irate about the current cap situation that we are ultimately doomed to fall under. And that got me to thinking. Is it time for a guy like Briere, with a contract of his caliber, to take a paycut?

Here me out. We are knee deep with the cap situation already and on the cusp of going over. Briere has been injured most of the season. Even though he is on the IR most of the time, and the salary doesnt affect our cap, when he does play, he does not normally contribute as his price tag claims. He is very good on the PP, but thats about the most consistent points you will get out of him.

Getting paid 8 mil a year, your expectations for the team suddenly sky rocket, and Briere has not been able to stay healthy enough for the Flyers to pay him 8 mil, in my personal opinion. Timonen will be getting 8 mil next year as well and he damn right deserves ever penny of it. Briere however does not.

Hell, even Crosby took a paycut so the Pens could resign other players.

I think its time that Holmgren have a bit of a talk with Danny regarding the Flyers cap situation and his contract.

I would be OK if Briere was signed for somewhere along of the lines of 6 mil.

Thoughts?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
So I have been irate about the current cap situation that we are ultimately doomed to fall under. And that got me to thinking. Is it time for a guy like Briere, with a contract of his caliber, to take a paycut?

Here me out. We are knee deep with the cap situation already and on the cusp of going over. Briere has been injured most of the season. Even though he is on the IR most of the time, and the salary doesnt affect our cap, when he does play, he does not normally contribute as his price tag claims. He is very good on the PP, but thats about the most consistent points you will get out of him.

Getting paid 8 mil a year, your expectations for the team suddenly sky rocket, and Briere has not been able to stay healthy enough for the Flyers to pay him 8 mil, in my personal opinion. Timonen will be getting 8 mil next year as well and he damn right deserves ever penny of it. Briere however does not.

I think its time that Holmgren have a bit of a talk with Danny regarding the Flyers cap situation and his contract.

Thoughts?
Contracts are guaranteed, they aren't negotiable. Once a contract is signed it can't be changed. Even if he would take a paycut, it isn't within the rules.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Thoughts?

At a time like this you must ask yourself....If you signed briere's contract, why would you take a paycut? This is an unnecessary thread.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 03:59 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
At a time like this you must ask yourself....If you signed briere's contract, why would you take a paycut? This is an unnecessary thread.
unnecessary and impossible

Quote:
you realize he is, right? people need to realize that a players yearly salary isnt what's important. it's their cap hit that counts. Briere's cap hit is $6.5m

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:

Thoughts?
But he is signed for somewhere around 6 million. He is signed for 6.5 million a year, thats all that counts against the cap. People need to understand that although hes making 8 mil this year and next, that doesnt mean thats what counts against our cap. The last 2 years of his contract he gets 3 million and then just 2 million, so just 5 million during the last 2 years of his contract. It all averages out, briere's 8 million is NOT what counts against the cap. And how did crosby take a pay cut? Hes the 2nd highest paid player in the NHL this year and his cap his is what 8.5 million? I believe hes the 2nd or 3rd highest cap hit in the league behind just Ovechkin and Malkin next year.

Briere isnt going to give back some money. Correct me if im wrong someone but even if he said ok Ill take off some money it wouldnt just come off of next years cap hit, it would be spread out throught the remaining 6 years of his contract. So to even get 1 million added to the cap next year Briere would have to agree to give back 6 million dollars...can you see him or anyone for that matter doing that?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:06 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
...Ignorance overload.

On so many levels.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:06 PM
IrishSniper87

Briere will get paid, son.

He prob couldn't care less. The Flyers can't even waive him.

Man I hate Briere's contract.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Ibtl?

Old
03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
and his cap hit is only 6.5 the 8 mil doesnt matter

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

If you haven't gotten it already, you can't renegotiate contracts like that. And I'd rather be paying Briere MORE right now, so he is an attractive option near the end of his contract cause his salary will be lower.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:11 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
If you haven't gotten it already, you can't renegotiate contracts like that. And I'd rather be paying Briere MORE right now, so he is an attractive option near the end of his contract cause his salary will be lower.
Briere will never be an attractive option.

Not cuz he looks like a gremlin, but he has an NMC.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:15 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

What about if he is near the end of his contract, and he's not performing up to par, and we all start booing the hell out of him (it happened last year in his FIRST year)...I think he might have slightly more motivation to waive. I think if Holmgren really needed to, he could convince him to waive. There really is no telling what will happen 4 years from now.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

Holmgren needs a good swift kick in the balls the next time one of these is offered. This is the greatest city in the world to play hockey.

Old
03-12-2009, 04:18 PM
tytech

Brutal.

It isn't Briere's fault. It's managements fault, if there is even a "fault" here.

If Briere was playing all year he'd be between 1st and 3rd in points on this team and his name wouldn't come up every other thread. Lets shat on his contract cause he has 9 points

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:22 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
I thought that nhl contracts stayed the same every season on the cap? Like even if he is making 8.5 right now or whatever he will only cost 6.5 against the cap. And if he is making 4.5 at the end of the deal he will still be 6.5 against the cap. I could be wrong though.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I thought that nhl contracts stayed the same every season on the cap? Like even if he is making 8.5 right now or whatever he will only cost 6.5 against the cap. And if he is making 4.5 at the end of the deal he will still be 6.5 against the cap. I could be wrong though.
Yeah but if your atlanta or some other small market you just dont have the money to even have a roster up near the cap roof so they can easily add a player with a 6.5 million dollar cap hit for his last 2 years but only have to pay him 3 million and the 2 million. So yes the 6.5 million dollar cap hit will effect them but they will only have to pay him 5 million total for the last 2 years and since they are like 10 million under the cap anyway, it wont hurt them to add him.

Old
03-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
Brutal.

It isn't Briere's fault. It's managements fault, if there is even a "fault" here.

If Briere was playing all year he'd be between 1st and 3rd in points on this team and his name wouldn't come up every other thread. Lets shat on his contract cause he has 9 points

I highly doubt that Briere would be 1 or 2 in points on this team right now but you're right....the contract is nobody's fault. I'll always hate NTC's though.

Old
03-12-2009, 04:51 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Yeah but if your atlanta or some other small market you just dont have the money to even have a roster up near the cap roof so they can easily add a player with a 6.5 million dollar cap hit for his last 2 years but only have to pay him 3 million and the 2 million. So yes the 6.5 million dollar cap hit will effect them but they will only have to pay him 5 million total for the last 2 years and since they are like 10 million under the cap anyway, it wont hurt them to add him.
Ok thanks, I understand it now

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 05:46 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Contracts are guaranteed, they aren't negotiable. Once a contract is signed it can't be changed. Even if he would take a paycut, it isn't within the rules.
Which is reason 4355607698858746754 why the NFL salary cap beats this one.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 05:55 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Which is reason 4355607698858746754 why the NFL salary cap beats this one.
Not the NHLPA's fault that the NFLPA can't negotiate.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 06:00 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Not the NHLPA's fault that the NFLPA can't negotiate.
I don't like this sentence because there are two acronyms in it.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Viller

This will never stop will it?

Worst thing is most people complain without having ANY of the facts straight, wake the **** up people... Time to look for other forums...

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 06:53 PM
slitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I highly doubt that Briere would be 1 or 2 in points on this team right now but you're right....the contract is nobody's fault. I'll always hate NTC's though.
he's a PPG player the last 3 seasons and had 9 points in 9 games before the injury. there is no reason to think he wouldnt have been right there.

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
This will never stop will it?

Worst thing is most people complain without having ANY of the facts straight, wake the **** up people... Time to look for other forums...
Nooooo, your much too valuable to the HF community. I'm sure you will be missed...maybe not.

Old
03-13-2009, 02:28 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
and his cap hit is only 6.5 the 8 mil doesnt matter
only 6.5
LOL
terrible ****in contract. 6 more years after this and Holmer's favorite gift the NTC to boot.
awesome
lets hope he comes to camp much better conditioned and doesnt have any "lower body issues" after next season.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 03-13-2009 at 12:30 PM.
GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote