HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

goalie advice..

Old
03-12-2009, 10:53 AM
brettholmesx

vCash: 500
goalie advice..

im a goalie and have been for about 12 years now. i did quit playing hockey for about 4 years and got back into it about 2 years ago.

since coming back ive improved my game quite a bit. quicker pads, better positioning, better blocker, glove, etc..

my two biggest weaknesses though are still my glove and blocker.
i try my hardest to position them correctly, but i still seem to be slow with both.

any experienced goalies out there that give me any tips how to make them quicker? anything at all?

sounds foolish i know, but i could use the help.

thanks

brettholmesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:05 AM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettholmesx View Post
im a goalie and have been for about 12 years now. i did quit playing hockey for about 4 years and got back into it about 2 years ago.

since coming back ive improved my game quite a bit. quicker pads, better positioning, better blocker, glove, etc..

i try my hardest to position them correctly, but i still seem to be slow with both.

any experienced goalies out there that give me any tips how to make them quicker? anything at all?

thanks
Not foolish at all...

I'll say first off I've never had a goalie coach and I started as an adult. I've always had decent reflexes, but there is something I do to improve my glove hands...and its easy to do anywhere and free. And I think it has worked.

I take a handball, or tennis ball, or whatever I have handy that bounces...throw it off the ground and against the wall and catch it. Then I throw with the other hand, repeat. (I realize you aren't going to catch a puck with your blocker, but getting your hand in the right position is the point) I make sure to follow the ball with my eyes going into my hand, which is what you should do with a puck. I do this at work all day.

I'm sure there are more sophisticated drills out there, but thats what I do. Good luck.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:14 AM
brettholmesx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
Not foolish at all...

I'll say first off I've never had a goalie coach and I started as an adult. I've always had decent reflexes, but there is something I do to improve my glove hands...and its easy to do anywhere and free. And I think it has worked.

I take a handball, or tennis ball, or whatever I have handy that bounces...throw it off the ground and against the wall and catch it. Then I throw with the other hand, repeat. (I realize you aren't going to catch a puck with your blocker, but getting your hand in the right position is the point) I make sure to follow the ball with my eyes going into my hand, which is what you should do with a puck. I do this at work all day.

I'm sure there are more sophisticated drills out there, but thats what I do. Good luck.
thanks a lot.
actually i read somewhere earlier thats what marty brodeur does.
and he problably has the best glove ever

thanks again

brettholmesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

obviously you blocker is going to be slower than your glove because of your stick but maybe fixing your positioning of your glove would help along with the drills to quicken your reflexes. those are going to take some time and practice but im not sure where you keep your glove but if you have it in the right position you wont have to react as quickly. i keep my glove up higher than most goalies. alot of goalies keep it by their pad and keep their hand more "horizontal" i keep my hand more "vertical". i feel it covers the top corner a little better

its a situational thing, like much of goalietending(atleast for me) but if someone comes in closer to me i may drop my glove hand a little to close the gap between my glove and hand and my pad

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:49 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
see if you can find Vladislav Tretiak drills.

The ball trick is Vladislavs drill. Ken Dryden saw Vladislave doing this in a hallway during the 72 Canada / Red Army series.

Vladislav is well known for his quick glove hand and Marty worked with him for 8 years. He was the goalie coach for the blackhawks too.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 12:24 PM
densetsu

I've had great success with "active hands". Instead of just holding my hands to my side, I hold them out forward a few inches. This helps cut off the angles, and also lets you more easily watch the puck come into your trapper (or deflect off your blocker). For shots to the chest, your hands will also be in a better position to quickly trap and freeze the puck.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 01:33 PM
McNasty

My friend is a pretty good goalie, and he pretty much just bounces a raquet ball as hard as he can off the bottom corner where the wall meets the floor and then trys to block it. I haven't personally played goalie since i was about 12 and I quit cause I had the same problem you have, once i was at a level where players were strong enough to shoot high I was toast.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
densetsu

The only trouble with the throwing a ball or hitting a ball with a racquet, then catching it... most people aren't ambidextrous. Whenever I'm bored waiting for my friend to come to racquetball, I'll go into the court, stand on the front service line, smash a ball against the wall and catch it. Trouble is, that only works to train my trapper hand. No way do I have the accuracy/strength/dexterity to smash a ball with my left hand so that it comes 1 - 3 feet beside me.

If you have a friend that's willing to help you all, then by all means. Just wear a cup unless you *really* trust them.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Know your angles!

If the puck was a the blue line, I'm at the top of the crease. Less extra space around me. Ya know, the closer the 'thing' is, the bigger it seems. I'm closer to the shooter by a few feet, and I seem bigger. Bigger goalie, less net to shot at.

Also, my glove hand is lower, close to my waist. I kept my glove hand up, about 3/4 of the way up, ya know, my pointer finger not straight up. If the shot was low, I did a open the door knob type of motion as opposed to lowering my hand.
If the shot was high, I picked my hand up, a little at the shoulder, a little at the elbow.

If the shooter is at the blue line, glove near my waist. I have that extra split second to raise it if it is a high shot.

Hash marks, glove is just below the logo on my jersey.

Even closer? The highest part of my glove will be just at shoulder height. It is easier to snap it down with the open the door knob motion than to raise the glove.

This is all knowing your angles and how to play them.

Same with the blocker. Just a little higher on the stick with the blocker hand, maybe tilt the stick so the full blade isn't on the ice to get the blocker up an extra inch or two...

Same with the shoulders. The closer the shooter, the more I straightened by back out. Still in the 'goalie crouch' but just a little straighter...

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Not foolish at all...

This is a great drill to do. However, it would be better if you did the same thing, face the wall and have someone stand behind you, they throw the ball and you react.

Do the first drill where you do it by yourself. Then advance up to this second drill where someone stands behind you and you react to the ball of the wall.

Head coach

03-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Not foolish at all...

im sure your co workers must love that

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Hamilton35

seeing as you probably work then have a life outside of hockey, I really doubt you got time to sit in front of a wall and bounce the ball. Maybe before a game. But I know I dont and I am only 21. It was a great drill when I was a kid, but I really dont have the time.

Something I would recommend would be to take up a racket sport like squash or racquet ball. While it wont necessarily improve your reactions as much, it will improve your coordination and anticipation.

Another thing you might want to try to look into is bad habits. You could be dropping your glove or blocker and then reacting. That fraction of a second would let you get beat. Another would be to check your positioning of your gloves. As someone else said, make sure they are out in front of you.

Hamilton35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 01:58 PM
TheOtter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton35 View Post

Another thing you might want to try to look into is bad habits. You could be dropping your glove or blocker and then reacting. That fraction of a second would let you get beat. Another would be to check your positioning of your gloves. As someone else said, make sure they are out in front of you.
A great thing to do would be to get someone to take some video clips of you while you play a game. Even if it's just from a digital camera or decent camera phone, it could show you if you're doing something you're not aware of. A goalie friend of mine looked at some pictures that were taken during our game and said it just made some things really obvious to him. He went on a tear for the next few games because of it.

Might help - wouldn't hurt to try.

TheOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettholmesx View Post

thanks
Well it sound to me that you are about 24 to 27 years old. I have been coaching hockey now for 40 years and I was a goalie coach for my first 15 years and I have a couple of things that might help your game if you put them into use.

First and foremost is your mental game. Let talk about this first.

Back in 1973, way before your were born, the Russian were working on ways to self improve the human body. One of the things they came up with was a lot of work on the human mind.

They found that the mind don't know the difference between the conscious and the subconscious mind. As far as it's concern it's the same. So what's the difference between the two?

The conscious mind, is working while you are awake, which allows all of the senses to bring in information for the mind to process.

The subconscious mind, works while you are a sleep or close to ream sleep. The senses still work during this time and do not shut off.

Well they found out that the mind is one of the best and fastest computers ever built, with the ability to process multiple function at the same time. In fact, they were the ones that found out that we only use 1/3 of our brain capacity to process information. The rest of the space kind of sits there...mind you, this research was done back in the 70's

One of the things they found out was that all of the senses help program the mind. Kind of makes sense doesn't it. So when you are trying to catch that ball, you are actually programming the mind to coordinate all of the muscle within the body to complete that desired function or task. You with me so far?

Well, one of the things they found out was that you could preprogram the subconscious mind as well. Beacause the mind doesn't know the difference between the two.

So, what they did was take two basketball teams. One team they had doing the actual practice on the ball court and they had the other team placed in a dark room on recliner chairs with headphone on, listen to music.

The assignment of this team was to picture in their minds the perfect pass, the perfect shot, the perfect play. They were to see the ball go throw the hoop without hitting the rim.

Now after 6 weeks of this, they took both team and had them play a game against each other, on the actual ball court. The team that was doing the meditation actually won the game by a large margin.

You see, they found out that you can preprogram the mind to do the actual task, so that when the time comes for you to do the actual task, the mind has completed this task in the past, so it know what to do. There's no second guessing...get it?

Well, after reading this in the New England Journal of Medicine, I decided to give it a try back in the 70's

So here's what I did....

I layed on my bed with a pillow under my head and I plugged in my 8 track. Yes, I said 8 track. Could have been cassette, but I think that was a couple of years later. Anyways...

With every beat of the base, I imagined making the perfect skate save, the perfect glove save, the perfect blocker save, the perfect butterfly save. The puck did not go in...I was a brick wall. You with me so far?

After 6 weeks of doing this, people started coming up to me and asking how I was making those great saves. They asked, how was I able to react that quick and react to make those kind of saves. I told them hard work. The last thing I wanted to tell them was I was getting brain washed.

You see, the Russians found out that the subconscious mind will work on what ever the conscious mind did the last 5 minutes before you get to ream sleep. So this means that if I pictured in my mind making the great saves 5 minutes before I went to bed and fell a sleep, I would work on this for the next 8 hours while I sleep. Did it work? You bet your a** it did.

Now, be careful! Don't do this with the radio on, use an Ipod. Why? Every hour and on the half hour, radios play the news and it's all negative. The last thing you need to work on for 8 hours is the killing down the street or the **** in down town.

All I want you to do is try it for 6 weeks and see if your game improves. You don't have anything to loose and it's not going to take up any of your time.

Then PM be and let see how you did.
Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote