HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL Torts Post Game Comments thread...

Old
03-12-2009, 10:02 PM
frankthefrowner

vCash: 500
OFFICIAL Torts Post Game Comments thread...

We need this..

Reporter: "So can you confirm that Zherdev didn't play the last two periods"

Tortorella: "Well you just said you didn't see him play the last two periods so I guess you just answered your own question"

He shoulda been a writer for firejoemorgan when they were still around.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:06 PM
In The Flesh

good call, post videos too

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:11 PM
OverTheCap

From Sunday's game against the Bruins: "We wet our pants a bit in the 3rd..."

"Get the **** off the logo."

And these gems from his TB days:

"We know what we did."

"I'm getting a little tired of the 25% rule."

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:10 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
We need this..

Tortorella: "Well you just said you didn't see him play the last two periods so I guess you just answered your own question"

Dumb reporters deserve responses like that. As a person aspiring to join that field there is nothing more frustrating to me than when a person asks someone a question that he or she already knows the answer to. What the hell was he going to say? "Actually, we put him on stilts, put on a fake beard, and wore Paul Mara's jersey in an attempt to disguise himself."

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:19 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
We know what we did.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:20 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
That question was one asked out of frustration when Torts didn't really confirm he benched Zherdev... while it was a tough question, Torts sort of had it coming to him.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:39 PM
SkerZ
LGR

i can see why he said he has nothing to say about it and i dont blame him for not releasing anything more than he did....I also can say i dont blame him for benching him for the second period but i mean its the last month of the season we are fighting for a playoff spot and he sat him the whole 3rd also granted he played a part in both nashvilles goals i just think if the rangers lost then we would all be sitting here sayin how it was torts fault cause z was ridin the pine

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:02 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
That question was one asked out of frustration when Torts didn't really confirm he benched Zherdev... while it was a tough question, Torts sort of had it coming to him.
"tough" question?

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
i can see why he said he has nothing to say about it and i dont blame him for not releasing anything more than he did....I also can say i dont blame him for benching him for the second period but i mean its the last month of the season we are fighting for a playoff spot and he sat him the whole 3rd also granted he played a part in both nashvilles goals i just think if the rangers lost then we would all be sitting here sayin how it was torts fault cause z was ridin the pine
In Torts I trust.

If i have to choose between Zherdev and Torts, im taking Torts every...single...time.....and this is coming from a huge Zherdev fan.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:34 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
In Torts I trust.

If i have to choose between Zherdev and Torts, im taking Torts every...single...time.....and this is coming from a huge Zherdev fan.
This....

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
Possibly, but one must remember that the Torts hiring isn't just for this season. If trying to make Zherdev a better player slightly reduces our chances of getting into the playoffs now, so be it, so long as pays off in the long run and he matures into that game breaker we need.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:52 AM
gravytrain6t

That's why so many people were hard on Bobby Knight but if you listen to the questions, these people would understand why Bobby Knight gets angry. All they seem to hear is the tantrum. Then they say he's a horrible human being. I know "Torts" isn't as drastic as Bobby Knight and I'm not trying to compare coaches as much as I'm trying to point out how dumb some of the questions are and with these high strung guy's, nothing makes them more angry then having their time wasted.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:01 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
In Torts I trust.

Im sure Torts still likes Zherdev as a player. Zherdev is probably his new project a la Lecavier. I see Zherdev becoming a much better player under Torts.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:18 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZherdev View Post
Im sure Torts still likes Zherdev as a player. Zherdev is probably his new project a la Lecavier. I see Zherdev becoming a much better player under Torts.
Right. If anything, the benching helps Zherdev as a player. Tortorella simply felt that by sending Z right back out there, he's sending the message that it's okay to make those types of mistakes which end up in the opposing team scoring a goal. I don't look at the benching as a punishment as much as a player having to learn a lesson. And It was even better that the mistake was made in the beginning of the game.
Zherdev had the whole game to sit there and really think about that play. He could play it over and over again in his head to the point where he gains confidence in knowing he'll never make mistakes like that again.

Zherdev is also our top scorer, unless Gomez surpassed him but it doesn't matter. His stats are up there near the top of the list. So by benching your top scorer, you send the message to an entire team that if he can be benched, so can any single one of you.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:50 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

"What happens in the room stays in the room"

Or something to that affect

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:58 AM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Right. If anything, the benching helps Zherdev as a player. Tortorella simply felt that by sending Z right back out there, he's sending the message that it's okay to make those types of mistakes which end up in the opposing team scoring a goal. I don't look at the benching as a punishment as much as a player having to learn a lesson. And It was even better that the mistake was made in the beginning of the game.
Zherdev had the whole game to sit there and really think about that play. He could play it over and over again in his head to the point where he gains confidence in knowing he'll never make mistakes like that again.

Zherdev is also our top scorer, unless Gomez surpassed him but it doesn't matter. His stats are up there near the top of the list. So by benching your top scorer, you send the message to an entire team that if he can be benched, so can any single one of you.
Great post I completely agree. I think we will be seeing a better a under torts. The man knows talent

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 02:00 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
"What happens in the room stays in the room"

Or something to that affect
I'm on board if he stays true to such a statement. John Tortorella in the past has thrown players under the bus in the media, and I don't find that to be "accountability" in the least. I'll give him every opportunity to show he's matured since his time in Tampa.

He can issue as much "frontier justice" as he sees fit, I just don't want him selling players out in the media if/when his style runs into roadblocks in private. I don't want the backpage of the post, Yankee-esque drama anywhere near this team.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 02:51 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

I found some footage of Voros watching today's game and reacting to the Zherdev benching:

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 08:29 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanktasticVoyage35 View Post
I found some footage of Voros watching today's game and reacting to the Zherdev benching:

hilarious

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 08:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

We know what we did... We know what we did.

We know what we did...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:21 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
We need this..

I don't find that particularly funny... Torts just dodged the question.

The real question remains. Did you bench Zherdev because of his faults, or you needed to bench anyone to get the team going and Z was an easy and convenient target?

What does the board think?

As for myself, I think the latter is the case and Zherdev was just a victim of Torts necessity to shake up this mediocre group.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:28 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I don't find that particularly funny... Torts just dodged the question.

The real question remains. Did you bench Zherdev because of his faults, or you needed to bench anyone to get the team going and Z was an easy and convenient target?
What does the board think?

As for myself, I think the latter is the case and Zherdev was just a victim of Torts necessity to shake up this mediocre group.
so basically you think that he benched him for the same reasons Renney benched him?

I personally think he benched him for the play, and I'm going to take a wild guess that Zherdev made sometype of excuse in the locker room or did something else that really ticked off Torts

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:28 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
Possibly, but one must remember that the Torts hiring isn't just for this season. If trying to make Zherdev a better player slightly reduces our chances of getting into the playoffs now, so be it, so long as pays off in the long run and he matures into that game breaker we need.
Unless it gets to the point where Zherdev feels he's being targeted while others get away with similar transgressions scot free and that leads him to decide that he really doesn't like NY as much as he thought he did, of course.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 09:36 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
so basically you think that he benched him for the same reasons Renney benched him?

I personally think he benched him for the play, and I'm going to take a wild guess that Zherdev made sometype of excuse in the locker room or did something else that really ticked off Torts
If Torts needed to bench anyone, then Z is the best choice for it. Young, good, shy and not a SOB. Second choice would be Dubi, for the same reasons. Renney did it.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

"...(the last two periods last night) that has to be a standard..."

This is what ive been saying about this ****ing team forever. the exceptional every once in a while is not good enough. the exceptional needs to be the standard. i dont blame renney for this, i blame the pre lockout near decade of despair for this. then under renney mediocrity became acceptable because all we got before it was substandard garbage. when you watch the truly well coached teams, you dont see average games, then every once in a while an exceptional game. you see exceptional games, and every once in a while an average game. THAT is why we need a guy like Torts behind the bench. Stop accepting mediocrity, and start demanding the extraordinary.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote