HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My thoughts on Kovalev...

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Next Best Thing*

vCash: 500
My thoughts on Kovalev...

The talent is there, but why is he not skating? Yvon Pednault said last night after the game that Kovalev might have an undisclosed injury but I don't believe it. Adaptation? Uhm he plays with Ribs and Ryder (our two leading scorers) how much adaptation does he need exactly.

And did you see him celebrate on Ryder's goal? Bet he thought he had an assist there for a second, nope it was Bouillon - although in all fairness he contributed to the goal.

On the other hand, if we're winning like this without Kovy getting a single point... it means he's still not an integral part of this team yet, although I can't wait to see how it's gonna be when he finally breaks out and helps us

T- 9 games.

Old
03-14-2004, 10:21 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Not to say I don't agree, but Kovalev is a dangerous player so teams watch him. If you have Ryder Kovalev and Ribeiro on one line, who do you think they will watch more of? Kovalev for sure cause he is completely proven unlike the two other players. So with the extra room for Ribs and Ryder, then can do more which is great.

Old
03-14-2004, 10:27 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I wouldnt been to nervous about Kovalev... he will be fine.

Right now, he can looks like he's not skating but he got a very nice shoot which he used and the passes he send to Ryder and others are hard and acurate. Just a matter of confidence and I'm on of those who think he's gonna be ready when playoffs comes.

As for the skating, he looks like Zednik 2-3 weeks ago... Look at him now (This is more a hope than a comment :p )

GO HABS GO

Old
03-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Russeltown

Kovy did an awesome job yesterday on 2 goals, but he didn't get any assists. The results on the scoreboard will happen someday, I'm not too nervous about.

Old
03-14-2004, 10:47 AM
4shelley4

hi

It's great how other teams look at our roster now and just down know what to do, are top three lines are damn right just dangerous. Good to see Ryder Zednik ribs and perreault having great games.

Old
03-14-2004, 10:56 AM
BLONG7

Kovalev's skating... seems effortless but it's just the way he skates, he doesn't look like he is generating any power but he can keep up... go figure. When he catches on everything will be fine! He has an awesome wrister, and very soon one is goin' in!

Old
03-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing
The talent is there, but why is he not skating? Yvon Pednault said last night after the game that Kovalev might have an undisclosed injury but I don't believe it. Adaptation? Uhm he plays with Ribs and Ryder (our two leading scorers) how much adaptation does he need exactly.

And did you see him celebrate on Ryder's goal? Bet he thought he had an assist there for a second, nope it was Bouillon - although in all fairness he contributed to the goal.

On the other hand, if we're winning like this without Kovy getting a single point... it means he's still not an integral part of this team yet, although I can't wait to see how it's gonna be when he finally breaks out and helps us

T- 9 games.

I dindnt see Kovo reaction on ryders goal. Was he happy as hell?

I was to busy screaming at the top of my lungs and making fun of my brother who is a Toronto fan (i live in Toronto)

Old
03-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Exactly. Kovalev doesn't show effort with his skating. He moves around the ice like no one MTL has seen in a long time. He knows how to get into the spaces and the results will happen, don't worry

Old
03-14-2004, 11:22 AM
hockey_nut

Kovalev played a great game... despite his lack of points.

He was shooting (he came VERY close twice... one just missed the top-right corner), he's skating (his style) and he's creating scoring chances. The points will come, don't worry.

He has made our team a lot better. Teams now have to decide who they'll focus on... Koivu and Ribeiro are playmakers... whichever line Kovy's on, they have to decide whether to watch him or Zednik, or Ryder... leaving the other open. Man, I hope we re-sign him, we need him!

Old
03-14-2004, 11:26 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
I like seeing Kovalev on Ribs line as he knows how to do all the small plays that will help his linemates score. Just look at the Ribs goal: the reason Ribs had all that time and space is because Kovalev crashed the net and took a few defenders with him. Also, because Kovalev is on Ribs line, it creates a lot of room for the Koivu line who are often matched against the 2nd best defensive lines on teams. Frankly, I don't care that Kovalev does not appear on the scoreboard as long as we keep winning.

Old
03-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Was Kovo real excited when Ryder scored?

Like i said above i was to busy screaming at the top of my lungs.

Old
03-14-2004, 11:51 AM
skidboot

He opens up ice for his linemates. Give him more time to get adjusted to what the team is doing on the ice.

Oh yeah.......Alex......hit the frickin net.

Old
03-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Souray44

Alex Kovalev may not appear to be putting a ton of effort out to us because we're used to seeing second rate skaters like Ribeiro (no offense to ribeiro, he keeps up and I love the guy) but this guy has all the talent in the world and is an effortless skater like Neidermayer in New Jersey.

Kovalev is playing great he's just been unlucky on the scoresheet.

I don't care how many points Kovalev gets he's still playing relatively well and the teams winning. Give him time and he'll be lighting it up.

Old
03-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Aarex

Man those misses kovalev had were NEAR misses...Its unbelieveable how he can sence where the net is and how to hit the target.

Old
03-14-2004, 12:29 PM
sonnytheman

Let me start by saying that, at first, I was against the Kovalev trade. I thought Balej had a chance to be something special, and trading him for Kovalev was not a good idea.

Last night's game was the first I have seen in a while, and I must say this....I thought Kovalev was EXACTLY what the team needed. He just seems to add a different dimension to the attack, that sniper who can be unnoticed for a while, and then all of a sudden turn up with the puck and next thing you know there's a scoring chance for us. That's what you call a gamebreaker...

I was very happy with his game yesterday and I think that now, the trade was a good one (doesn't hurt that we still have so many good forward prospects).

If we can resign Kovalev, am I the only one who thinks that Montreal can be contending sooner than we all thought?

Old
03-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing

T- 9 games.
I never expected him to come in here and start lighting it up. There is an adjustment period.

He's making great passes that haven't been handled very well. Also, I've noticed he can take the puck into the offensive zone at a high percentage rate. This leads to puck posession, which we so much needed.

Old
03-14-2004, 12:35 PM
NHLcrazy

The good thing was that Kovy was not brought here to to save us for the playoffs but to make 2 solid scoring lines...and to offer options for CJ.

Old
03-14-2004, 12:42 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Was Kovo real excited when Ryder scored?

Like i said above i was to busy screaming at the top of my lungs.
he waz exstatic, just very very very happy about it, he felt the the intensity of a habs leafs rivalry for the first time that night to be sure.

my take on kovalev is simple his stickhandling is like the 9th wonder of the world, the opposition gets drawn to it and kovalev who makes it look soooooo bloody easy creats a tonne of traffic around him once he enters the zone, what this does is it gives a lot of room for a very creative ribeiro who the more room he has the more dangerous he is, ryder is a positional play so he has a knack for finding the right slot to go, yesterday this line looked awsome together i mean they all complimented each other very well, the thing i liked the most about kovalev is if the coverage in the offencive zone waz too tight, then he's stickhandle himself to the slot and take the shot with relative ease.
i still have no clue why some of you guys are saying that he looks lazy out there, i just don't see it.

there's alote of things to be happy about as a habs fan right now but im still buzzing about zednik playing like a superstar in these intense games.

everything is alright in habland.

Old
03-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Orange

Every player needs a period of adaptation, especially a player like Kovalev that was never asked to play into a system. He's got to fit into the system first and foremost. Then we'll see him produce. My prediction is that he'll be ready come the first playoff game.

Old
03-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange
Every player needs a period of adaptation, especially a player like Kovalev that was never asked to play into a system. He's got to fit into the system first and foremost. Then we'll see him produce. My prediction is that he'll be ready come the first playoff game.
He did have five shots on net, was a key contributor in two goals, and he makes the opposing defense back up. Against Toronto no less. Not bad for his second game. You can see Ribs and Ryder are starting to find him on the ice and vice versa. Just a matter of time.

It might take longer for him to learn how to back check though. The question is: would it be better to let a player like Kovalev do his thing or have him integrate into a tight checking system?

Old
03-14-2004, 03:59 PM
electric

Kovalev probably needs some time to get rid of the Rangers disease... but I'm sure he'll soon be be back to his Penguin self.

Old
03-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Ever player needs a period of adaptation, heck, look at Zednik. It took him a few games when he returned with Koivu to recreate that magic they once had together

Old
03-14-2004, 04:05 PM
jcpenny

I would like to see these lines get a try if perrault ever fades down...

Kovalev-Koivu-Zednik or Ryder-Koivu-Zednik
Bulis-Ribs-Ryder or Bulis-Ribs-Kovalev

But i think that a Bulis-Ribs-Kovalev would best for Kovy as Bulis would give them speed and forecheck, not that Ryder cant provide it but the speed of bulis could do wonders for this line.

Closed Thread