HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Post Kovalev Era

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2009, 12:12 AM
  #51
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
There lies the problem right there. People hang on to the bleep hope that he'll show flashes of his undeniable great talent. The problem is that he doesn't use it nearly often and he's so moody that he brings an entire team down when HE doesn't feel like pulling his own weight. Enough of that crap as it's time to put a TEAM together instead of a group of INDIVIDUALS.

Tanguay is a team player, therefore I do agree that Tanguay > Kovalev.
People.. people..

I think the majority of the PEOPLE here knows that the team is better with Kovalev except you and Iwishihadacup but you're talking like the PEOPLE are wrong and you alone knows that Kovalev is a cancer and the team is better without him.

You like stats and facts? The Habs are winless in the 3 games Kovalev miss this season. Kovalev is the leaders in points in our last 2 playoffs. I dont see the old veteran like Sergei Fedorov or Mike Modano still capable of having all the pressure to lead their teams to sucess like Kovalev (and Koivu) has to do here.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 12:13 AM
  #52
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
We don't just need 1. A.Kost won't score 50Goals and it's still not certain that he'll net 30ish for sure next year.
Regardless of his inconsistency, Kovalev is a bonafide star throughout the league. If we lose a player of his stature, we'll need another star. A consistent one.
Same goes for Kovalev, you can't predict what kind of year he'll have next year...thanks, but pass. The Habs are already invested in AK46 for the next two years, i'll take one headcase, not two...especially if one cost significantly more than the other.

I don't get some Habs fans? It's like my buddy whose been debating taking out the old carpeting from his house for the past year.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 12:23 AM
  #53
Next Best Thing*
 
Next Best Thing*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
Is it here yet?

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 12:43 AM
  #54
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,000
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
I've been wondering if Kovalev might sign with the Capitals so he could play with Ovechkin?
Nah, Markov would be more likely. Ovechkin tried to convince Markov to walk and sign with Washington before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
We will trade for Lecavalier at the draft day...

Tanguay Lecavalier Latendresse

A.Perezhogin Plekanec A.Kost

Higgins Koivu MaxPac

Lapierre Chipcura Stewart

Markov Komisarek

Hamrlik Subban

Weber OByrne

To Tampa S.Kost + Dago + Gorges + Maxwell + Halak

To Mtl: Lecavalier

**** Lecavalier. I'm sick of at least one person bringing up"...and we trade for Lecavalier."

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:08 AM
  #55
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Same goes for Kovalev, you can't predict what kind of year he'll have next year...thanks, but pass. The Habs are already invested in AK46 for the next two years, i'll take one headcase, not two...especially if one cost significantly more than the other.

I don't get some Habs fans? It's like my buddy whose been debating taking out the old carpeting from his house for the past year.
I didn't say Kovalev was a sure thing. I just said having A.Kost alone won't suffice. I hope one day it will as he's my best player on the habs, but for now it doesn't.

As I mentioned before, I don't want Kovalev back next year, but that's assuming we get some re-enforcements upfront. We are going to need a bonafide goal scorer star up front if Kovalev is out.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:23 AM
  #56
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I didn't say Kovalev was a sure thing. I just said having A.Kost alone won't suffice. I hope one day it will as he's my best player on the habs, but for now it doesn't.

As I mentioned before, I don't want Kovalev back next year, but that's assuming we get some re-enforcements upfront. We are going to need a bonafide goal scorer star up front if Kovalev is out.
Absolutely... we need a replacement.

This year we've had all three of Kostitsyn, Tanguay and Kovalev

Yet somehow people think we are gonna be better off with only 2 of the 3.

How this makes sense, I don't know.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 02:23 AM
  #57
panorama01*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Libya
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Turgeon was not traded for Koivu's sake, but as punishment for the 1996 playoff failure against the Rangers... Kovalenko was traded for the same reason in the off-season; it took longer to eliminate Turgeon because of the difficulty in explaining getting rid of Turgeon without an adequate replacement. As Koivu was doing very well they said that he would be the replacement but in fact the whole purpose of the exercise was to eliminate playoff 'failures' like Kovalenko and Turgeon and to promote those who did well like Koivu and Damphousse and add the likes of Corson to that...

Ah, that was a time of high standards. Those who did not fulfil the demands for playoff excellence and 'grit' were shipped out quickly... I'm sure many of you wish that Gainey would be so bold as was Rejean Houle during those heady days.

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 06:28 AM
  #58
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
The greats are either rolling their eyes or rolling over in their graves.

Now I don't mind Kovalev back but just in at a reduced salary and role. The same applies for Koivu. Ideally both these guys should be on your second lines.

I won't shed any tears if he doesn't resign because I personally believe this team needs a changing of the guard. Its been too much of the same for the last 15 years. I would prefer heading towards a more Western Conference way of building a team. I am tired of soft, perimeter and highly inconsistent players.
I have news for you. Scorers are almost ALL inconsistent.

Ovechkin went 9 games without a goal earlier this year. Crosby goes into slumps. You want to talk Western conference? Patrick Marleau took a whole year off. Teemu Selanne's goal totals are all over the place.

How about the classic years? Jean Beliveau had a 12 goal season in between seasons with over 30 goals. Another Hall of Famer, Yvan Cournoyer had lots of scoring droughts but has his number in the rafters and 8 Stanley Cup Rings.

It's easy to seem "consistent" if you're Gregory Stewart or Tom Kostopoulos but a team needs scorers and more than one or two in order to rack up a lot of wins.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 06:43 AM
  #59
j c petit
Locked-out
 
j c petit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rink Rat
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panorama01 View Post
Turgeon was not traded for Koivu's sake, but as punishment for the 1996 playoff failure against the Rangers... Kovalenko was traded for the same reason in the off-season; it took longer to eliminate Turgeon because of the difficulty in explaining getting rid of Turgeon without an adequate replacement. As Koivu was doing very well they said that he would be the replacement but in fact the whole purpose of the exercise was to eliminate playoff 'failures' like Kovalenko and Turgeon and to promote those who did well like Koivu and Damphousse and add the likes of Corson to that...

Ah, that was a time of high standards. Those who did not fulfil the demands for playoff excellence and 'grit' were shipped out quickly... I'm sure many of you wish that Gainey would be so bold as was Rejean Houle during those heady days.
Do you drink?

j c petit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:21 AM
  #60
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
People.. people..

I think the majority of the PEOPLE here knows that the team is better with Kovalev except you and Iwishihadacup but you're talking like the PEOPLE are wrong and you alone knows that Kovalev is a cancer and the team is better without him.

You like stats and facts? The Habs are winless in the 3 games Kovalev miss this season. Kovalev is the leaders in points in our last 2 playoffs. I dont see the old veteran like Sergei Fedorov or Mike Modano still capable of having all the pressure to lead their teams to sucess like Kovalev (and Koivu) has to do here.
Wow, 3 game samples are now stats? If you were trying to prove a point with that, it failed graciously. Kovalev's one good season, I'm starting to believe was a FLUKE. You take off Streit and Kovy loses his PP goals and points! How's that for a hard fact? No one wants to admit it, but it's true, his points from last season (and same for many other players) are highly skewed because of the powerplay, which went lights out during the playoffs... It's a known fact that PP% for teams go down in the POs, so don't expect Kovy to be a force. In his last 2 playoffs, Mark Recchi got the same amount of points as Kovalev (almost), does that make him as good as Kovalev? No, because the supporting cast is just as important.

The majority of people here (and really HFBoards is full of biased homers that it's unbelievable) are bandwagoners, and the Kovalev wagon at this moment is saturated. But it won't take long, if the team starts losing, the wagon will start to empty and all those wagoners with start to move away and blame Gainey/Koivu/Kovalev. Welcome to Montreal, those are the PEOPLE you're talking about. I'm not one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I have news for you. Scorers are almost ALL inconsistent.

Ovechkin went 9 games without a goal earlier this year. Crosby goes into slumps. You want to talk Western conference? Patrick Marleau took a whole year off. Teemu Selanne's goal totals are all over the place.

How about the classic years? Jean Beliveau had a 12 goal season in between seasons with over 30 goals. Another Hall of Famer, Yvan Cournoyer had lots of scoring droughts but has his number in the rafters and 8 Stanley Cup Rings.

It's easy to seem "consistent" if you're Gregory Stewart or Tom Kostopoulos but a team needs scorers and more than one or two in order to rack up a lot of wins.
Difference is, Ovechkin and Crosby come back from their slumps and score to make up for it. Kovalev goes on successions of slump and I don't even know why you're comparing him with Hall of Famers at this point, he looks far from one. Skill set =/= success.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:30 AM
  #61
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
I'll echo the sentiments of previous posters. Unless they're willing to replace him with a superstar, and I mean a ppg player, this team can't afford to lose him.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:36 AM
  #62
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Tanguay>Kovalev
Talent wise? Not even close.

Tanguay also plays a much softer game than Kovalev.

I hope Kovy re-signs and everyone that wants him gone leave the boards as well.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:39 AM
  #63
flappuck
Registered User
 
flappuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
At this point, as much as I like Koivu for his determination and all, because we have Plekanec filling out the position of small center for the second line, I'd rather see Koivu leave and Kovalev stay here if we can manage to get a decent big center.

A superstar would be nice but let's forget about it as they don't grow on trees but a guy like Franzen. I know I know, Detroit will not let him go but you understand the kind of player I'm talking about.

So, you re-sign Kovalev and Tanguay and make a move for a bigger center for your first line.

If you can't get a big center, then you need to get bigger on the wings with guys like Malone or Penner even if their contracts are somewhat inflated.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:40 AM
  #64
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Talent wise? Not even close.

Tanguay also plays a much softer game than Kovalev.

I hope Kovy re-signs and everyone that wants him gone leave the boards as well.
You see I'm glad you said that, because that's exactly how I feel with some of the other fans around here, except I don't say it because if you can't accept anothers opinion, what does that make you? How can you say you're able to argument or discuss when you tell a person with a different opinion from yours to leave the boards?

And we're also your fellow Habs fan, and renouncing to that is a sacrilege for some of us. I can respect your opinion if you do the same for me, and I will never tell you to leave, and if I do, I'd apologize soon after because I would never mean it.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:43 AM
  #65
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
I don't understand "fans" like you who want us to lose our best players all the time.

Kovalev does not keep our kids down, if anything he makes them look better with great passes. He also has helped the Kostitsyn and the other russian kids on the team out by taking them under his wing actively off the ice, giving them advice on the bench and so on.

I don't understand the hate some people have for our players sometimes.
meh its just a few on here that constantly hate on the guy, they don't speak for the rest of the city. Kovalev gets the biggest ovation every time he plays at the Bell Centre.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:55 AM
  #66
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacioretty67 View Post
STATS can show anything you want them to show.

Watching the games shows me that Tanguay is a perimeter player... he doesn't go to the net... he shies away from contact... he never cuts to the middle. He's not a guy who is gonna lead a team's offence until he starts playing in the harder areas of the ice. Until then he's destined to be a complimentary player to a real talent like Sakic or Iginla.

If he's expected to be your go to guy... good luck when the going gets tough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchange View Post
Tanguay doesnt float at all, he avoids traffic and is made of glass.
Tanguay is a TEAM player. The same can't be said about the cancer.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:56 AM
  #67
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
I'll echo the sentiments of previous posters. Unless they're willing to replace him with a superstar, and I mean a ppg player, this team can't afford to lose him.
Kovalev's been a PPG player once in 5 years with the Habs...he's not the superstar Habs fans think he is. Losing him, will only allow other players to blossom IMO.

I don't get why some are saying that if we lose Kovalev, we have to replace him with ANOTHER superstar??? You can't replace, what you never had...and what the Habs never had, was a bonafide superstar. Kovalev's only a superstar in MTL...

Disclaimer...just because I'd rather the Habs not re-sign him (and Koivu) does not mean I hate Kovalev or don't think he's a good player. I just obviously don't think he's as great as most here

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:58 AM
  #68
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I hope Kovy re-signs and everyone that wants him gone leave the boards as well.
Not going to happen. Most of us cheer for the logo in front rather than the name in the back, which explains in part our dislike for a player who's effort is rarely there and who thinks he's bigger than the team. So if the "beloved" Kovy signs back, I'll jump off the Gainey bandwagon and will also want him gone... for failing to recognize the major problem with his TEAM!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:04 AM
  #69
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Not going to happen. Most of us cheer for the logo in front rather than the name in the back, which explains in part our dislike for a player who's effort is rarely there and who thinks he's bigger than the team. So if the "beloved" Kovy signs back, I'll jump off the Gainey bandwagon and will also want him gone... for failing to recognize the major problem with his TEAM!
Although I agree that the Habs should move on from Kovalev, IMO, it doens't have to have a negative spin on it. I think the knocks against his effort level are largely exagerrated.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:05 AM
  #70
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panorama01 View Post
This anti-Kovalev sentiment disturbs me... Kovalev at least did not go golfing during the playoffs to my knowledge.
He is a really bad golfer ! He was flying, or doing his elastic training.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:10 AM
  #71
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,740
vCash: 500
I find this quite funny actually, no offense to the thread starter, but the "post Kovalev era"???

You serious? What have the Habs done while Kovalev has been here to consider it being an 'era'? Alex Kovalev has had as much of an era here as Mark Recchi did...

Habs fans have really gotten used to mediocrity

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:13 AM
  #72
DougHarvey
Registered User
 
DougHarvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Although I agree that the Habs should move on from Kovalev, IMO, it doens't have to have a negative spin on it. I think the knocks against his effort level are largely exagerrated.
Exactly. people use to say that about Tim Wallach and he was a premiere 3rd baseman.

Kovalev is who he is , but our team would be worse off without him.

Get it through your thick skulls, NO FREE AGENTS WILL SIGN HERE.Too many negatives to playing here.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:19 AM
  #73
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchange View Post
Exactly. people use to say that about Tim Wallach and he was a premiere 3rd baseman.

Kovalev is who he is , but our team would be worse off without him.

Get it through your thick skulls, NO FREE AGENTS WILL SIGN HERE.Too many negatives to playing here.
Not true...I don't agree with that at all.

Why are so many of you afraid of change?

Also, who cares if big name free agents don't want to sign in MTL...that's not how you build your team and it's not the only way to acquire players outside the organization. What Gainey does have going for him next year is alot of cap space and alot of other team with big name players on big deals who may need a change of scenery.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:19 AM
  #74
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Although I agree that the Habs should move on from Kovalev, IMO, it doens't have to have a negative spin on it. I think the knocks against his effort level are largely exagerrated.
Amen !

fans mix effort with speed ;

Players like Koivu, Bégin, Lapierre are hard workers . Players like Ribeiro , Kovalev , Latendresse don't put effort . Ribeiro and Kovalev like to slow the game , they are " joueurs de finesse " .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:23 AM
  #75
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Amen !

fans mix effort with speed ;

Players like Koivu, Bégin, Lapierre are hard workers . Players like Ribeiro , Kovalev , Latendresse don't put effort . Ribeiro and Kovalev like to slow the game , they are " joueurs de finesse " .
Agreed...a guy like Kostopoulos has to go balls out on every shift, or else, he wouldn't have a job in the NHL. Kovalev doesn't have to and that's not his game, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have the team's best interests at heart.

The whole thing about Kovalev's perceived attitude and lazyness has more to do with stereotypes that are perpetuated by media types. If Kovalev played the exact same way but was a good ol' Canadian boy, you wouldn't hear this stuff about him. I've heard alot of players who have played with Kovalev and they all say that he was a great teamate, but that he had a peculiar attitude...not a negative one, but just a different one.

That being said, I do think that Kovalev's peculiar attitude is sometimes counter-productive in a team environment and that's what's hurt him throughout his career.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.