HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

News & Notes 2009 I

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2009, 08:33 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Speaking of Alzner, he's 6th in HF's Spring Top 50 Prospects list.
How the hell that Carlson is not in the top 50 is insane.

04-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Just more evidence that you can't trust HF for any sort of ratings. No surprise there.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Pietrangelo over Bogosian and Moller in the top 10. Good work.

Old
04-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Foy

Quote:
There's a mass exodus among NHL refs after the playoffs. Fraser, Koharski, McCreary and Marouelli are all leaving, and Shick retired last month.
I believe tonight is Koharski's last game. Fraser, McCreary (my fave) and Marouelli are all around during the regular season, but they usually don't let retiring refs work the post season.

Old
04-09-2009, 10:27 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
There's a mass exodus among NHL refs after the playoffs. Fraser, Koharski, McCreary and Marouelli are all leaving, and Shick retired last month.
Koharski's the only one leaving this year. The others are working next season as well, just not the playoffs.

Old
04-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
IMO KA was not here to start the year because he got caught in the cap squeeze, and also because George hords dmen and doesnt move them. I thought that was general consensus. Maybe I am wrong.
I think that was true at the beginning of the year, but the cap issues became moot when people started going on LTIR.

Old
04-09-2009, 10:49 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
I think that was true at the beginning of the year, but the cap issues became moot when people started going on LTIR.
And that's when he came up. He's spent maybe, what, a dozen games in Hershey during a time at which he could have been in Washington? Maybe a few more. And even then you can argue they were waiting to see what happened with Pothier so they didn't hit the 40 game point too early.

Old
04-09-2009, 11:31 AM
BamaCapsFan

So if we play Montreal in the first round who is nervous about Theo's mental condition? I hadn't even considered it but some ESPN article reminded me of his connection with them and we all know how he can be sometimes...

start varlamov? ha, i kid i kid...

Old
04-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Regardless of what Varlamov is doing recently, or Brent Johnson's condition, Theodore is their guy and he is going to start in the playoffs. Now that is not to say that Boudreau, who has backup options, won't have Theodore on a short leash. You do what you have to do to win, and if the starter hasn't got his best stuff, he'll go with Varlamov in a next-game situation if Theodore lays an egg.

Old
04-09-2009, 11:44 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCapsFan View Post
So if we play Montreal in the first round who is nervous about Theo's mental condition? I hadn't even considered it but some ESPN article reminded me of his connection with them and we all know how he can be sometimes...

He handled them earlier in the year just fine. Granted, he hasn't played in Montreal for us this year yet, but the nice thing about being the high seed is we can get past that even if it's an issue (although hopefully it isn't).

Regardless, I'm not so worried about goaltending. Something tells me our offense won't be too stifled as long as Markov's out and Price is in net.

Old
04-09-2009, 11:45 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
hey i definitely jump to conclusions so I am sorry to be a loudmouth without facts, but I think most everyone here post opinions that cannot be validated. IMO KA was not here to start the year because he got caught in the cap squeeze, and also because George hords dmen and doesnt move them. I thought that was general consensus. Maybe I am wrong.
I think you're right about the start of the year stuff however, there's no cap in the playoffs. To me, him not immediately getting called up speaks volumes as to how the Caps feel about his readyness to play at this level in the playoffs.

I suspect he'll get the call if someone goes down.

Regarding the pairings, Schultz over Jurcina against a smaller, quick team like the Habs. I don't like it.

Jeff "The Big Slow" Schultz sure needs some footwork training this offseason.

Old
04-09-2009, 03:23 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCapsFan View Post

I am not entirely sure that I wouldnt be more worried about Montreal's mental condition if I were a Habs fan than Theo's for Caps fans.

Face it Theo has been better for the Caps than Halak and Price have been for the Habs. Theo is undefeated in the first round of the playoffs. Halak is untried and Price a mess. I think the opportunity is better for Theo to ram the whole goalie nightmare in Montreal so far up their A$$ that its beyond funny.

I would worry about Theodore if Lundqvist or Broduer were in the other net. I think Montreal and their disaster of a goaltending situation only empowers Theodore.

Old
04-09-2009, 04:47 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I am not entirely sure that I wouldnt be more worried about Montreal's mental condition if I were a Habs fan than Theo's for Caps fans.

Face it Theo has been better for the Caps than Halak and Price have been for the Habs. Theo is undefeated in the first round of the playoffs. Halak is untried and Price a mess. I think the opportunity is better for Theo to ram the whole goalie nightmare in Montreal so far up their A$$ that its beyond funny.

I would worry about Theodore if Lundqvist or Broduer were in the other net. I think Montreal and their disaster of a goaltending situation only empowers Theodore.
I've seen you say this so many times recently that I'm afraid you're going to jinx us...

Old
04-09-2009, 05:04 PM
txpd

Theo is 4-0 in first round series. 0-4 in the second round. Its just setting the record straight. I would rather have Theodore than what Montreal has today.

Old
04-09-2009, 05:08 PM
sikosmurf

So tarik is getting rumors of Caps @ Boston for winter classic. I can't even comprehend the level of brick ******** that would occur, nor the ridiculous amount of money that would be paid by me to go to the game.

Old
04-09-2009, 05:21 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Nothing we do is ever easy. If we face Monty, so be it. But if they make the playoffs their G's have done something right. They may not seem like they are playing well to TX, but I know that our team has at times in the past made hero's out of average goaltenders come playoff time.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-09-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old
04-09-2009, 05:25 PM
txpd

If Ovechkin wins the Hart Trophy again along being the only 60 goal scorer in the last decade and the only 50 goals scorer the previous season, its just stupid not to showcase him in that game.

Should the Caps and B's make it to the ECF this season, it would be even more of a natural. Fenway as the venue makes perfect sense.

Its a winner.

Old
04-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
If Ovechkin wins the Hart Trophy again along being the only 60 goal scorer in the last decade and the only 50 goals scorer the previous season, its just stupid not to showcase him in that game.

Should the Caps and B's make it to the ECF this season, it would be even more of a natural. Fenway as the venue makes perfect sense.

Its a winner.
It's the NHL. They will find a way to mess it up.

Old
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM
amjay13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikosmurf View Post
So tarik is getting rumors of Caps @ Boston for winter classic. I can't even comprehend the level of brick ******** that would occur, nor the ridiculous amount of money that would be paid by me to go to the game.
would be so awesome

Old
04-10-2009, 06:18 AM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
when starts the first round?

Old
04-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Devil Dancer

IIRC Locker said Wednesday or Thursday? Verizon is booked through Tuesday, so it must be Wednesday at the earliest.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Burgh32

I'm willing to bet money that the other team in the Winter Classic will be one of Detroit, Pittsburgh, or the Rangers.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
broad

Miro Satan is supposedly on re-entry waivers. Anyone who claims him won't be able to use him in the playoffs but it would be amusing to see someone claim him to irk the Penguins.

Perhaps Lamoriello. He could very possibly be facing the Penguins in the first round, would sell a gazilion Satan devils sweaters and he's not afraid of being a huge dick.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:35 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
I'm willing to bet money that the other team in the Winter Classic will be one of Detroit, Pittsburgh, or the Rangers.
I'll gladly take that bet. Name your stakes.

In fact, you don't even have to give me the field. Just give me Washington, Philly, and Montreal and we'll call everyone else a push.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:55 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I've noticed that Backstrom has been really good on the draw recently so I went back and looked at the game logs.

Since March 3, Backstrom is winning 58.8% of his draws (157 out of 267). In that span of 17 games, he's only been below 50% a total of 4 times.

17 games is a decently sized sample and to me at least, it was very noticeable; I hope this is a permanent change.

Closed Thread